Shopping King Louis (2016)

Jasmine
Nov 11, 2016
Delicious dark chocolate is what Shopping King Louie is to me. Initially, I was thinking this was cotton candy cute but one can become sick of cotton candy quickly. The cuteness in SKL grows on you, episode by episode, and you will never get sick of it because it's just so well done!

The story seems simple and full of tropes: amnesia, chaebols, cinderella-like characters, car crashes, etc. but none of them read more felt melodramatic at all-especially when those cliches would usually spell out melodrama in other dramas. The drama's anchor is on the chemistry between Seo In Guk and Nam Ji Hyun and the drama knows its strengths so it focuses on that. The progression of their relationship is organic, genuine, honest, and just full of cuteness! The story isn't fast in the sense that things are always happening but the continuous character growth in the relationships is what will keep you watching. You become invested in all the characters and grow to love them- all of them. That was the draw for me.

I love this drama and its Cinderella feel. It's such an easy watch but not boring- and that's so hard to achieve, having light cuteness that's balanced by heartfelt moments

I really liked the OST especially Tiger Moth by Monsta;it's still playing on repeat.

I recommend SKL, completely if you like:
-cuteness overload, in a good way
-a well-done rom-com (actually hilarious and romantic at the same time)
-no melodrama because the writer defies all the cliches you think will happen

Shopping King Louis is one of the most pure, innocent, and heart-warming dramas I've watched in a long time. I sincerely recommend this to y'all especially if you need a little bit of Louis to lift up your spirits!
bambamby
Nov 11, 2016
Who has finally a favorite drama this 2016????? YES! Shopping king louie is so far the best drama to me until the date. Yeah, maybe I'm exaggerating? Probably. I needed a drama like this? Absolutely.
Pure ! They are so pure… I just wanna hug all these pure souls and no leave them go never!!

Lets go to start:
- Plot : Something new without introducing new things to the romcom (Yeah read more it sounds so twisted)
- Cast: ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. The leads are so extra and pure that I can't say nothing more.
- Drama itself: It had the perfect amount of love, comedy and good acting.
- Music and effects: SO CUTE AND FUNNY!

If you wanna spend a good moment watching a drama, buy this! Yeah, spend all your time and hours watching them. Embrace the cuteness of Seo in Guk (what a gem, is this puppy even real?)

Con: mmmmmm maybe the drama topic tips? But Bah you almost don't realize it and I gave up trying to find dramas who delete these topics.

If you wanna find yourself smiling when some of these characters are smiling, this will be your drama.
Have a good time queens and kings of shopping.
See ya!
MariKim
Mar 18, 2017
CAUTION: Prepare to have the bar of about 90% of your romantic relationship expectations raised.
Summary: This show is perfectly sweet in every way, the storyline, romance, comedy, filmography--literally everything. I feel like this show is pretty underrated, I will admit I wasn't initially smitten by the casting but I feel like they all took me wonderfully by surprise and am so happy I decided to watch this show. And now that read more it's over I'm going through the stages of acceptance--currently at...depression.

+/- Plot:
The scriptwriters had a way of leaving you wanting more at the end of the episode; and even though they used all of the KDramaLand cliches I actually didn't mind at all. They had a way of not making it overly dramatic and focused more on the characters' growth and developments which are the fortes of the show. They really tugged at your heartstrings with the hardships of the characters and how they overcame the difficulties together. What I really loved is that the theme of each episode was based on an older song--like Vincent, Be My Baby, The Winner Takes It All...etc. I felt that it was a different concept for a KDrama and felt it very reminiscent of some American dramas, which I really loved. The thing that really stands out in this drama is obviously the romance between the leads; they're both such sweet characters that you can't help falling for the two of them. What I think I loved the most about them is how they took care of each other and believed in one another, even when no one else did. Their romance was very sweet and innocent just like the characters. The only disappointment I had was maybe the conclusion of the show--because everything was so sweet and the writers kind of lead you to the conclusion of them settling down with a family, I really wanted a more concrete proposal at the least. However, I overall really liked how they came full circle with the show and was satisfied and very moved by the ending.

+/- Characters/Acting:
The actors portrayal of their characters are what really made this drama a hit for me.
In my opinion, while I haven't seen many of his other shows, this is by far one of Seo In Guk's best shows. I was so surprised that he fit the character so well and really became Louie. His character is the type that just keeps growing on you because of how sweet he is--even if at times the innocence caused him to be a little ignorant. I think what really made him shine in this character is all the small details he added. Whenever he'd remember something new, he would always cover his mouth like a shocked little kid, or when he'd walk he'd have a cute little waddle with little hand movements--they were the perfect touch to his child-like personality. What got me every time were his screams whenever he was shocked or scared. Everything was "Perfect!", as Louie would say.
Nam Ji Hyun is so heartwarming, even through her hardships she’s a hard and diligent worker and those are the types of characters I like the most. I really felt that she portrayed the country bumkin girl so well; never for a second have I doubted her role. She really played out every emotion to the T; one moment you could see the tears well up in her eyes and she’d turn around and be cold as ice. There were times when I was a little frustrated because she would play up the innocence factor whenever there was a romance scene; I felt that if she was a little less timid then I would have loved the scenes even more. But overall, I was really pleasantly surprised with her acting and character as it is the first time I have seen any of her works.
Yoon Sang Hyun is supposed to be a bit of a critical guy with sweet intentions, but at times I was a bit frustrated with his character. I really like him as an actor and am continually surprised in how many shows he's cast in. However, I don't think that this is his best work--I felt that the character was a bit too stifled and a little forced at time. The thing I disliked the most was the constant throat clearing, which got a little irritating half way through the show. But it became the running joke towards the end, which I admit I kind of liked.
Overall, the characters you are meant to dislike; I found that, while I wasn't fond of them I hardly had any animosity towards them. Im Se Mi played the insincerity decently so I wasn't disappointed by her character. I will say that I was kind of let down by the timidity of the "bad guy", but I think with the conclusion of the show and the unraveling of the backstory it made sense of how he portrayed the character.

+/- Music:
I lovedddd all of the music! As I said earlier each episode was based on an oldie song and loved how they weaved it into the background. As for the soundtrack I loved all of the songs and have been listing to the OST on repeat. Every song is the sound of the dusk of a warm spring evening; lovely and reminiscent. I think they really encompassed the feel of the drama well.

Rewatch Value:
Because of the sweetness of the characters and the romance between the leads I'd definitely watch this show again. I think that everything from the soundtrack to the editing and filmography was wonderful and would continue to make this really enjoyable. My two favorite shots of the show would have to be their trip to the beach and to Busan as I thought they were beautiful shots of the scenery as well as their budding romance. Overall, this show was spectacularly made and I really enjoyed it and will be back again in the future to revisit Louie and Bok Sil's romance.
KarolineAskeroed
Feb 24, 2017
I don't know why i didn't finish this drama when i first started watching it. I started watching this drama while it was airing in 2016 and i don't know what happened, i must've been busy around that time or something.
I watched about 30 minutes into episode one and then put it to the side and eventually forgot about it.

I never really thought about continuing this drama until i finished read more my last drama and didn't know what to watch next. I saw that this was on my on-hold or dropped dramas list, and thought that i might as well try watching it again and see if i like it. I didn't have many expectations for this drama when i picked it up again, i thought i had dropped it because i didn't like it. I watched episode 2 and was like "it's an alright drama", but then i found myself getting more and more into it and episode by episode this drama went from "alright" to "Asdfghjkl, IT'S AMAZING".

------------The actual review starts here------------

This drama was to me, like a nice breath of fresh air. After watching some pretty insane dramas with big dramatic plots that makes you question everything and make up theories on what will happen next, it's always nice to take a break and just watch something a bit more lighthearted, where you don't have to think so much and you can just sit there and enjoy the drama. Shopping king louie was exactly that, it's a short and sweet rom-com.
When you read the storyline it might sound a lot like a melodrama, but everything in this drama is played out in a very casual, lighthearted and comedic way that it doesn't make it feel melodramatic at all. Even when there's those cliche scenes that would usually spell out melodrama right away, like the car crash and the amnesia, it doesn't feel melodramatic at all. It's just a nice drama to watch if you don't know what to watch next or you need a break from the more "extreme" dramas.

Story: The storyline of this drama is a twist on something we've all seen before.
A person that lived a somewhat tragic childhood, struggles with things because of that tragic childhood, later on in life. It's the same in this drama. A child that was overprotected and isolated from the world as a kid, grew up with close to no friends and shops his feelings and problems away. The concept of the story is not different, but how the story is played out is different and that's what really matters. I absolutely loved this drama. The comedy was there, i laughed so much while i was watching this drama. Seo In-guk's character was just too cute and a"dork"able and i can't even...
The chemistry was also most defiantly there.

Acting/cast: Great. It's the first drama with Seo In-guk that i've seen and liked. I tried watching Reply 1997 and I remember you, but i didn't end up finishing either of them. But after seeing him act in this drama, i've
considered finishing the other dramas with him in, or at least giving them one more chance. (i just really fell for him.)
I've never seen Nam Ji hyun before, so i can't say anything about my experience with her from before, but she did well in this drama at least.
The rest of the cast was also just great in general.

Music: I loved the music for this drama, especially Tiger moth by Kihyun (the acoustic version asdfghjkl) i just loved that song.

Rewatch value: 8 because i'd watch it again, but not right away and probably not from the very beginning.
purplenette
Nov 19, 2016
SKL is a wonderfully Korean cliche' drama reminiscent of Shining Inheritance. The story is fluffy but also has a depth of character that is engaging. The writer takes all the troupes of a Korean melodrama with out the melo. I enjoyed it like it was a brand new drama. It also had a lovely ending. It isn't my typical kind of drama as I am more into the melo, but I was read more pulled in from the very beginning. Even the ending is good.

Seo In Guk is such a beautiful soul as Louis. I enjoyed every special, silly and romantic moment of his relationship with Go Bok Shil (Nam Ji Hyun). Bok Shil is a smart, strong character who has a naivety that is cute rather than annoying. The other actors are good too.

I enjoyed the music.

I might rewatch this some day.

If you enjoy romance, then this is totally the drama for you. Love from beginning until the end.
Aspyre
Nov 16, 2016
There's dramas you can struggle with for days and lose interest from the middle up till the end and then there's this one which you can binge watch in 24 hours.

The story is original, contains plenty humorous and loving scenes and most importantly doesn't fall into traphole of kdrama cliches which want to make you pull your hair out in each episode. Every wondering question is answered at the beginning of read more an episode in a flashback of scenes you have not yet seen which also greatly helps both main and support characters with overall development.

When it comes to the cast, I must say I found the entirety of them hilarious and well-matched, especially the main couple dynamic and second male lead's relation towards them that did not in any way infringe on the special kind of bond that the main couple has, which I've found to be a problem whenever there is a love triangle in a drama. Yoo Sang Hyun's character was eccentric to the point that I was glad whenever there was a scene with him because he was such a sarcastic drama queen in any given situation.

This drama does have mostly subtle musical background, but some of the heavier scenes have inappropriate choices of soundtracks that takes away from the supposedly dramatical scene and instead makes it comical, which I'm beginning to suspect was intentional by the producers.

It is, without a question, the warmest drama you could see this year so stray no further; the melo tag is overshadowed by the well-written plot and characters, the romance stands out on its own as the centre point of the story intertwined with grand ideas of connecting everyone into one big family and supporting each other. However, in that aspect it also did tend to go too far into the fairytale concept with some scenes so I did find it naive, but it is not meant to be anything else than a story that will leave you with the best kind of feelings after you're done watching it.

Highly recommended.
Arby
Nov 11, 2016
Shopping King Louie was really worth a watch. I still remembered that time when I heard of this when I was searching for dramas in Youtube for the month of September. I was shocked to see them together paired up (Nam Ji Hyun and Seo In Guk) in the drama especially because I've known the leads for a long time already. However, at first, I was doubting that it will be a read more good one and I forgot about it completely. Then, came September 22, 2016. I was just going around dramanice.eu when I saw the first episode posted, I thought, "Why not? I should give them a shot right?" And so, I watched the first episode.

A few seconds from the first episode, Shopping King Louie already pulled at my heartstrings. From then on, I would always look forward to Thursdays and Fridays (Because the subbed episodes are posted the next day) and wake up early in the morning and download the latest subbed episodes just before I get to school. Bok Shil, Louie and all the other casts are what made me go on. I even look forward to going to school on Mondays because in that way I can be a day closer to Wednesdays and Thursdays (I watch RAW episodes too at 11p.m on Wednesdays and Thursdays). It also helped cheer me up and got me through my anxiety when I was so down and cried a lot because I felt disregarded and belittled by my team in softball. Shopping King Louie is my source of energy and of laughter during those times.

I must say, in my 12 years of watching kdramas, Shopping King Louie belongs to my top drama list. I am a very picky viewer. I don't watch Kdramas because they are what the others are watching. No, I am not that kind of viewer. I still need to search a lot about the drama and consider the following: cast, plot, the chemistry of the leads. These are my main points. Of which, what matters to me the most is the chemistry. I do not like Kdramas where the leads got enough chemistry and that's it, they are paired. I am looking for dramas that have overloading chemistry between characters. And so far, there are only two of them which I've found. One of which is Shopping King Louie.

The plot is a little cliche or common and most of all, really simple maybe in many aspects. However, I really appreciate the little things that made the drama counter the other drama cliches about rich people. Example: Vivian, Audrey and Cleopatra; Louie's grandma; Ma Ri; Mr. Cha. and so many others. I guess that explained it. Going back to the previous aspect, the plot, I said it was a little cliche however, I do not believe it at all. I'm just recording what I read from a lot of comments from viewers. I really believe that it is unique in every way. This is because I think (or is it just me?) the counter-drama-cliches made a lot of difference that it always leave me shocked. I was thinking this will happen, this will happen next and the next thing I know that thought is cut off because the story will take on another direction. I applaud the writers for this.

Anyway, enough of the plot and let's go to the characters. I thought the characters for SKL was perfect. *Another applause for the casting managers* They really portrayed their characters really well and they made me believe that they are really like this in real life. And the chemistry between Bok Shil and Louie... OH! I think I might go crazy with my intoxication with their romance. I was the ultimate shipper (and mind you I really am choosy and I don't ship a lot of people). Their acting is just so effortless and they seem really close which is good. And the kissing scenes and the sweet gestures and Louie's surprises, I've fallen for them.

For the lessons and morals I've got from the drama... I got plenty.. So many.. Like generosity, sincerity, honesty, love, forgiveness and so many others. And this is the reason why I love it the most. It is not just about love and cruelty, the typical way of dramas, it is loaded with emotion that really occurs in every day life. By watching this drama, I was forced to look at myself. Did I even have these things? Do I have the capacity to forgive?, etc. etc.

Everyone of us has a different opinion and has different reasons why we watch the dramas we watch. For me, I watch dramas not for pure leisure and time killing but I watch dramas also for the sake of my own education. It is my primary reason why I am really picky with the dramas I watch. The world is getting noisy. And somehow, I want to bring a little peace to it by having these kind of reflections so I may act on them when I go out. Good looking actors and good plot are really tempting. It draws you in. However, we must instead on what it offers to us, what it wants us to realize. I am not overreacting, nor am I exaggerating. I am just sharing what I experienced through my days of watching Shopping King Louie and thinking about the plot.

Watching Shopping King Louie is a doubt that I did not regret risking. Congratulations to the cast, the production team, the director, the writers and the designers for making a drama that became such a dear to my heart. I guess that this drama is made just for me. And I must say, it's PERFECT. Thank you so much!

P.S. What am I even doing writing this? It's not a review, it's an experience write-up or slightly a biography (as horrific as that sounds. HAHAHAHAHA. :D).
manicmuse
Nov 24, 2016
Who likes cheese? *raises hand* Or rather, who likes sickeningly sweet candy? *raises hand again*
This is how I would describe this drama and it's over the top appeal. This is not a drama with substance. It's listed as a melodrama, but it is a cartoon version of a melodrama. All of the characters are comedic and over the top, yes even the bad guys. I admit that this was a plus read more and a minus for me, because sometimes playing certain things up for the comedy made it frustrating to watch, and hard to take seriously. Once I let go of any type of expectations of seriousness, I liked this drama a lot more, but I should be honest... there is only one reason I kept watching in the beginning, and that reason is Seo In Guk.

Seo In Guk as Louis is the main reason to watch this show. I've seen him, and liked him a lot, in other dramas, but I had no idea he could be so hilarious and silly. Louis is a character that could easily become annoying if played by the wrong actor, but instead I totally fell for him and his antics. He also managed to make him feel real in each completely unrealistic scenario this drama put him in, which sucked me even further into the story. Even when the plot let me down, Louis never did.

He's matched with Nam Ji Hyun as Go Bok Shil, another super sweet and likable character who avoids being annoying. She is naive, yet brave, so her innocence wasn't a turn off for me. I also loved that although she is obviously the Cinderella of this story, this never changed the essence of who her character was. Bok Shil and Louis are so incredibly adorkable as a couple, and have such great chemistry, that it felt like watching a real love story in spite of the cheesy plot. Their love story is what the show is all about, so liking them made me automatically like the show, and look forward to each episode.

There is also Yoon Sang Hyun as Cha Joong Won, another actor who I've loved in many other dramas, and he pulls off another memorable character. Playing totally against their sweetness, with each clearing of his throat, he became the hilarious third wheel to complete their love triangle. Although he is a classic "forever alone" character, watching his rivalry/bromance with Louis was fun. Honestly, the entire supporting cast is fun to watch. I can't really think of one bad cast member, and considering the cheesy dialogue and scenarios (a certain car ride comes to mind), the fact that they could pull off such over the top comedy so well shows how talented they all are.

What I didn't love is the plot. There were way too many tropes/clichés, and certain scenarios were dragged out way too long. I got so frustrated waiting for Louis' memory to return, or for someone to reveal who he was. Then there was some extreme violence that felt out of place in this extreme comedy, and seemed to be more for shock value. I did love the side stories of some of the characters (their neighbors, the servants, the mom clique...), but the main story of what happened to Louis, and why, seemed really messy. The romance portion does have some sweet closure at the end, though unbelievable, but at that point I liked them so much I just smiled and accepted it. That's how I felt about most of the plot... smile, or laugh, and accept it, even if its completely ridiculous.

Would I watch this again? Probably not, but maybe. Again, the cast is really cute, so maybe that's enough to justify a second viewing. Maybe Louis' goofy smile is enough. At least the OST is good.

Overall this is a great excuse to watch Seo In Guk be as cute as possible, and a fun drama for those looking for more laughs than tears. It has too many flaws in the plot to make my favorites list, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it on someone else's. Who knew that amnesia, homelessness, robbery, assault, going missing, and family greed could be such hilarious fun? This was a great break from heavier dramas, and I highly recommend it for exactly that reason.
YunYee
Nov 11, 2016
This is the funniest drama I had ever seen!! I would say this is a COMEDY WITH DRAMA (funny but with a good story). The background music help a lot in making a funny mood. I laugh mostly when the background music is out! The editing of the drama also helped a lot! I like it when they draw the dog ears and the dog tail on the male lead when he read more is agyeoing (act cute). Most of all, I like how they turn the stressful scene/mood (people died, kidnapping, murder...) into a not so stressful mood. Sometimes I would just laugh seeing how stupid the kidnapper can be.. ^^

In conclusion, I recommend this drama to those who are looking for drama that can lighten your mood but with good storyline.
Shaz
Jun 16, 2017
This drama is beyond hilarious. For the longest time I put off watching Shopping King Louis thinking it would be all style and no substance. This is not the case at all. The tone is light for the most part and packed full of hilarious antics from the main cast as well as the myriad of side characters all of whom are wonderful. The chaebol concept is taken and spun on its read more head, there is no sight of a cold or surly main protagonist making Seo In-Guk a revelation, he is so wonderfully innocent and good natured you can not help but go along with all of his shenanigans. Nam Ji-Hyun is also lovely as the heroine Kim Bok-Shil, whose brand of refreshing optimism is rather endearing.

The plot is sweet enough to abate any fluff cravings but be warned there are not immense scenes of drama or melancholy to be found here. Any moments of contention or conflict are interspersed with comedy and just plain old fluff. That should not deter you, if anything this is a great watch, that won't play with your feelings (too much) but stays firmly in the realm of lighthearted comedy.
Soju
May 8, 2017
Shopping King Louie Review.

I didn't expect to like this drama so much. In fact initially I only watched it because I had run out of other things to watch instead.

It's hilarious, because by the end of it I almost was embarrassed at how judgmental I was when picking dramas. It served as a nice occasion to remind myself not to judge a drama only at face value.

I must admit, read more it was partially because of Cinderella & the Four Knights why I may have judged Shopping King Louie so superficially — but I'm an glad I finally did watch it.

For anyone wondering why I brought in Cinderella & the Four Knights — I didn't complete the drama because the second female lead was the queen of pettiness & she didn't deserve to finally get the guy. She actually needed to just stop, move or something and learn to love her own self. Aish. Rant over.

Back to the current review!

I'll just give you guys an easier way to decide if you want to give this drama a go, okay?

Alright!

Really consider watching this drama if you:

~ love Seo In Guk

~ really want to see Seo In Guk being the most cutest little puppy alive! #FR

~ or see him being super clingy, which is totally contrasting most of the previous roles he played where he was completely in charge, like in Hello Monster and Master's Sun.

~ want to laugh like crazy almost 70% of the drama.

~ want to watch a drama where no one is actually bad. Where you understand even the villains. Where villains actually repent.

~ don't like having an super rich aunty, mum, grandmother or stepmother from the rich Chaebol dude's side completely against the poor girl and wants to make her life hell. Have no fear, there is no such female or male present in this drama!

~ love sweet grandmas #RIPDoctorsHalmeoni

~ don't like second lead syndromes. Tired of getting the SLS, guys? If that is the case! HAVE NO FEAR! The second lead in this drama doesn't cause ANY SLS! Because you will eventually start shipping him with Louie! (Wait.. maybe that is SLS, too?)

The only reason the rewatch value is 8/10 is because I don't usually watch a drama more than once, but I'm sure to watch this again ... maybe 10 years along the road?
-executedtoperfection-
Nov 13, 2016
The sweetest, cutest, purest thing I've ever watched (apart from puppy videos lol)

Honestly this was so cute. The characters were so pure, innocent, sweet and true to their characteristics.

Amazing acting on the leads part, it's not easy to act cute without looking artificial.

That's all. Just watch it. Everything in this makes me want a world like theirs. There are so many happy moments, it feels so good to watch read more it.

Comforting, sweet, cute, pure, innocent, lovely, precious, healing, satisfying.

I'll never forget this one everrr!!

The story was a completely thought out touching one with no loopholes.

AND IT IS SO FUNNY in it's pure form!
Shopping King Louis

MBC
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

8.4 (scored by 5,948 users)
  • Ranked: