anopinion
I had extremely high expectations for General and I. I'm a long-time fan of Wallace Chung; I've liked him since his role as Nalan Xingde in The Secret History of Kangxi. After I heard that he was going to take up the role of Chu Beijie in General and I, I promptly went to read the entire novel. The novel itself certainly impressed, but I can't say the same for the drama read more adaptation.

The reason why the novel stood out is because of the balance of power between the male and female leads. They are intellectual equals, quite unlike Kdramas where the male leads tend to be more dominant, and unlike the trend of female-centric Cdramas where the female leads tend to be smarter while the male leads are really just supporting characters who wield huge power to lend a hand in times of emergency (Princess Weiyoung). I think they tried to maintain the same balance in the drama as well, and I'll give them a little bit of credit for that.

From now on, I'll talk about the divergence between the novel and the drama, and my thoughts on whether these are sound/positive modifications:

1. First up, the character conceptualisation. In the book, the Jing An - He family was executed by the Yan king because their achievements are so great that the Yan king finds it unsettling. Chu Beijie did not play a part in inciting the Yan king. He merely pushed the decision by deliberating losing the battle which made the Yan king even more uneasy. There's no talk in the novel too about Chu Beijie wanting to cease battle to protect the civilians. In fact, I remember distinctly that Chu Beijie wanted to expand the territories of Jin; he was battle-hungry. There is clearly a huge difference in the personalities of the character for the drama and the book. I can see why it was changed. It's to make Chu Beijie a more likable character who regards the welfare of the civilians above everything. Personally, I prefer a male lead who isn't this "perfect" and one-dimensional really. I don't like this, but I can see people preferring it. The biggest change in Chu Beijie is how weak he's become in the drama. He was captured and tortured three times! For his love, of course, very "romantic", but I do prefer the book where he was a lot smarter and didn't have to rely on the damsel to save him in times of distress at all. Bai Pingting also didn't need any rescuing in the novel as well. On the other hand, the drama just turned into this cycle of Chu Beijie saving Bai Pingting, then vice-versa, and rinse and repeat again.

2. Next, we have the process of falling in love. Oh god. This is probably the most annoying aspect of the drama. In the book, Bai Pingting was captured by slave traders during her escape (when the Yan king was trying to kill the He family). She was then sold to the Hua family in Jin and became attendant to the
young mistress. She caught the attention of Chu Beijie while playing the zither. Chu Beijie thinks that she is Miss Hua, they fall in love, and Miss Hua makes use of Chu Beijie's affection towards "her" to cancel her previous engagement so that she can marry her beloved. Bai Pingting's servant identity was revealed, and she eventually stayed in Chu Beijie's manor. Even though the two of them are in love, they are wary of each other. Bai Pingting wants to know her young master He Xia's whereabouts whereas Chu Beijie knows that Bai Pingting isn't who she claims to be (Yang Feng). After some mutual scheming and whatnot, they separate. Isn't this a refreshing storyline? But in the drama, they chose to make the leads childhood sweethearts. If I wanted to watch childhood sweethearts, any bloody Kdrama will do. Why add in such a cliched plot device? Damn. Furthermore, Chu Beijie recognised Bai Pingting as the little girl he met, and decided that he must FORCE her to marry him. And somehow she gradually loves him back, for no rhyme or reason at all. What the hell?

3. The addition of a lot of vertices to the love polygon. Jealous, unscrupulous female character who loves the male lead, check. Another female character who falls for the male lead while the leads are separated, check. In the novel, it was just a love square and it was complicated enough already.

These are just some of the more obvious changes. And all adverse ones in my opinion. The drama honestly would've been much better if it was more streamlined and stuck to the novel like gum to the underside of the table. 62 episodes is way too much. I guess they had no choice but to extend the story with such stupid tropes to keep it going.

To add on, here are some of the flaws in production:

1. A glaring one is the green screens that they used. The first episode had really well cheoreographed fight scenes with pretty natural looking scenery. From then on, it just seemed like a lot of the characters were cut and pasted onto the background. It's so awkward to watch. So much money pumped into the production and this is the result? I can understand that Angelababy was pregnant and perhaps they had to speed up filming, thus leading to this. But I can't help but feel a little cheated. Looking at the trailers alone, I expected a gorgeous-looking drama on or exceeding Princess Weiyoung's level. Nevertheless, the end-product was far from that.

2. Also, the dubbing. Wallace's dubber is just horrible. He has this slightly unorthodox pronunciation, kind of Cantonese-like, which makes him (actually, his voice) sticks out like a sore thumb. Plus, the voice totally doesn't suit the character. You can definitely get used to it, but it took me more than 10 episodes (still don't like it).

3. Styling. I'm pretty sure Princess Yaotian looks great in real life, but her styling in the drama does nothing for her. It looks horrible! The guys' long hairstyles looked like crap on all of them except Ze Yi and Fan Lu as well. I mean, Wallace Chung and Sun Yizhou looked fantastic with the man bun I have no idea why they had to give them the long hair/dreadlocks. I know it's to differentiate between the different territories but really it's so inconsistent that it's useless.

4. Chu Beijie's deliberate act-cool moves *cringe* (dramas need to stop doing this to their male leads). Forcibly trying to make your male leads "cool" tends to achieve the exact opposite effect. Also, why does he need a mask?

Now here comes the positives. Well, the non-negatives. Some of these are not even well done but just good enough:

1. The cute loveline between Fan Lu and Zui Ju. I didn't pay much attention to this subplot in the novel itself. However, the actors portraying the two characters actually brought more appeal to this storyline in the drama compared to the novel. Zui Ju is probably the most likable character in this entire drama, despite the bad acting (so, so bad). I was worried that they were going to alter this storyline when they gave Chu Moran and Zui Ju a lot of interactions during the time Chu Beijie broke away from the Jin court. Thankfully, they didn't change it that much.

2. The acting. Angelababy gets a lot of flak for being unexpressive. I don't actually think that she is that bad. I'm just slightly bothered by her constant smile, which just distracts me a little when the occasion clearly does not call for it. It may also be an after effect of plastic surgery though. Imo, she improved towards the end of the drama. Everyone else were just on par. The duo above (Zui Ju and Fan Lu) were cute but they are obviously very green. I'm not picky about the acting as long as it doesn't come across as unnatural, so in this aspect the drama gets a passing mark in my book.

3. Yaotian's ending. I liked He Xia and Princess Yaotian's romance more in the novel, even though the author didn't really touch on it much. In the drama, the two had very little chemistry (actually, chemistry was virtually non-existent for both pairings). Yaotian's ending is the same, but the way it ended was slightly different. I think they didn't want to make He Xia look too bad. But I actually like how "evil" he is in the book, and how tragic this pairing became. I thought it added more flavour to the story.

4. The OST. I must say, they have some really nice songs. My favourite is the duet by William Wei and Claire Kuo, followed by Tan Jing's song. The opening and ending themes don't appeal to me though.

In summary, I think the drama definitely falls short of expectations. It had good source material, but did not make good use of it. It had a huge budget, but didn't spend enough effort trying to refine the drama. If anything, the production itself just screams unprofessional to me. I do wish that they won't rush the filming so much, and gave more time to post-production as well. It could have been at least a pretty drama to look at, but now it's just... a huge disappointment. I usually write reviews only when I really like a drama, or when I hate it (don't ask me why I watch it all even though I dislike it, it's a childish question). General and I belongs to the latter. I'll give it a personal 4.0, but I'll scale this to a MDL rating of 6.5 [1].

-- Footnotes --

[1] The drama has a rating of 3.6 on Douban as of the time this review is written which is far closer to my personal grade but MDL just has biased ratings. You can see it. Candle in the Tomb, a fantastic drama, is rated 8.3 on MDL and 8.2 on Douban. G&I, an awful drama in comparison, is still rated 8.0 on MDL but only 3.6 on Douban. Therefore, if you are a longtime Cdrama watcher, 3.6 is probably fair and what you should take into account when deciding whether to watch or not. (Just revised my rating to 6.5, because 7 sounds average, but the drama is really below average.)
Mei Liu
So, i saw the first episode on youtube after "Princess WeiYoung" and back then my expectations for any drama were pretty high because, i mean just watch "Princess WeiYoung" and then you understand.
It is pretty similar i must say but the *storyline* in this drama is better, that's for sure. Though some may think that too many countries and anything in life is complicating the relationship between those two but i read more mean... life is like that. So many people care about things that they have to do something. Even if it means some couples unhappiness. So far I am at episode 43 and still loving it (though hate what is happening right now...)

The *cast* is lovely, who would have thought that Wallace Chung could act so good as the God of War and as a loving and doting lover. Angelababy is doing her part very well too. She does the act of the genius strategist very well. Some people sad their chemistry isn't as good as the one with Tiffany Tang and Luo Jin. But I mean come on! They are a real couple and the other couple is acting it (both also have S.O.s in their life, so... although some people are gonna say "It's their job, etc" but i don't think chemistry can be acted. In the future, currently watched the trailer for ep 54, their chemistry is gonna get hotter and hotter ;)
Sean Sun and Gan Ting Ting are a lovely and sweet couple, can't complain. (SPOILER ALERT: Except for their fate TT^TT)

*Music* is good even though it's sometimes a bit misplaced but nothing so serious. Love the theme song even if it makes me cry every damn time!

I would *rewatch* it just to rewatch it just to see the relationship between CBJ and BPT to develop. HUSBAND GOALS: Chu Bei Jie. It's just so sweet to watch a man who will love you no matter what happens and who believes and trusts you.

UPDATE 3.02.17:

i forgot to mention the one thing i really don't like in this drama is the thing that CGs and some acting, like turning 7000 times from one hit, a bit too much. But as long as you can laugh about this stuff i guess you will love it XD

Another thing that i "dislike" is that our OTP are separated for, *%"*ç 20 EPISODES!!! I stopped at 37 and i am gonna wait until everything is subbed and then binge watch (and probably cry) until they reunite. Can't wait!!
crazydramagal
I think this is the first time I have found a chinese drama so compelling.Usually due to the poor CGI or sometimes due to the stories I drop the cdramas that I start. But this drama had me hooked to my seat from beginning to end. True at times you might find that they are dragging out the angst and romance and why the hell cant these two people be together?!!!! But read more the superb acting by Wallace Chung and the great background score make up for it all!!!
A must watch for any drama lover!!!
Patricia
It’s surreal how much I’ve came to love General & I. Surreal as I don’t tend to fall in love easily for any drama but General & I has been easy to love, too easy and too difficult to let go but that’s the thing with great loves, they mark you the most and are harder to overcome, if ever.

The story is simple and cliché: two very intelligent war mastermind adversaries, read more one a general, nicknamed the God of War, the other a female strategist. Pitting against one another they’re formidable opponents: mind versus matter, prediction versus adaptability. Together they’re unstoppable. That’s the reason everyone wants to keep them apart. It’s not that they’re weaker separately, but rather unbeatable together. Chu Bei Jie is the general of the kingdom of Jin, related to the king by blood. Bai Ping Ting is a childhood friend of the Prince He Xia, a sworn enemy of Chu Bei Jie. Chu Bei Jie and Bai Ping Ting fall in love but their love is an obstacle to the wishes of the king of Jin, the Royal Consort, the Chancellor and to He Xia. Through tick and conniving plots, Bei Jie and Ping Ting are separated. After years of turmoil in the land, they reunite again for their love towards one another to fight against He Xia and unite the land under one empire, bringing peace to the people and stability to the land they so dearly love. This is the story in a nutshell but the drama is so much more than that, is the sacrifices one makes for the loved ones, the sacrifices one makes for family, for country, for honour, the battles one faces not to conquer to dominate but to conquer to maintain peace and to fight for the ideals of a better world and at opposite ends for everything antagonistic to that. For that reason the story is a 10 out of 10 without another thought.

The main catalyst characters: Chu Bei Jie, Bai Ping Ting & He Xia

Chu Bei Jie performed by veteran Hong Kong actor Wallace Chung and embodies the personification of Mars, the mythological God of War in every sense. He’s strong, determined and wrecks havoc amongst those foolish enough to get in his way. He’s smart and a brilliant strategist, able to adapt to local circumstances like no other. He’s also fiercely loyal to his king and to the woman he loves, never doubting her, never losing faith in her. He’s also not afraid to show his emotions to her, to hold her, to comfort her, to cry in her presence. Wallace Chung performs Chu Bei Jin brilliantly. He is Chu Bei Jin. For a man in his early 40’s to perform Chu Bei Jin, a character that is over 10 years his junior, to perform the stunts that he performs in the drama with the agility of a man half his age is a feat not accomplished by many and Wallace Chung does it effortlessly.

Bai Ping Ting is performed by Chinese A-List Angelababy. She took time to get used to on screen. Initially it was a struggle to see Bai Ping Ting. She appeared to passive when the character is anything but. Every scene seemed to drag with Angelababy’s performance. Is not that she was bad, rather she wasn’t good either. She was just flat and continued to be flat. Her emotions were so utterly standardized it was hard to empathize with Bai Ping Ting, despite liking the character so much on paper. It seemed that she was despondent of life and just existed. It was sad to watch. However as the episodes moved on, her performance grew more convincing, perhaps due Wallace Chung and Sean Sun’s performances who elevated the drama and by consequence perhaps made her elevate her performance as well. Bai Ping Ting is a character with more spunk than what was portrayed but saying that Angelababy’s performance was nice to watch with Wallace Chung and Sean Sun.

He Xia is performed by Sean Sun and what a remarkable performance that was as well. He’s younger than Wallace Chung yet on screen their prowess’s are evenly matched. He Xia is despicable and vindictive and a pain in everyone’s side. He marries for power then when he loses the woman he didn’t know he loved is too late. He could’ve been happy but he chose to pursue vengeance and in the end vengeance took over him and he lost himself. Sean Sun is phenomenal performing He Xia. He’s unreadable. His face demonstrates nothing, his actions demonstrate everything.

The secondary characters: the King, the chancellor, the Queen Consort, the Princess, Lady 13…what is interesting about them is that their role in the drama doesn’t drag. Once their purpose is finished they no longer appear in the drama. Normally secondary characters tend to stay in a drama from beginning to end but here, they don’t which is different but good. Once they no longer contribute to the story, bye bye and another character appears to take their place with the exceptions of the King of Yin and Princess Bai Lan. Acting/Cast, I would give it a 7. Not all characters are convincing but that mishap I gladly overlooked as I really enjoyed the drama.

The OST is nice, it’s not outstanding but it’s nice and it matches the drama well. In a scale of 0 – 10, it’s a 6.

Re-watch value: 10 out of 10. I loved Chu Bei Jie, loved, loved, loved the character and Wallace Chung! Bai Ping Ting matched him in every way possible. They’re a couple made in drama heaven, the Ying and the Yang, complements! Their battles against one another were phenomenal and when they put their heads together to fight their enemies was amazing! The drama remained solid and consistent if, dragging at times but that didn't compromise the story, building up to the reunion which ought to be watched again and again and again!

Overall General and I is as perfect a drama as they get even with its imperfections and flaws. As everything in life is anything but perfect the drama is a pure example of it, a story that is utterly perfect despite how unperfect and challenging it was along the way!
nabygosh
I would say that i'm satisfied enough with this drama. The thing is i have read the novel beforehand, and as a viewer i would expect this drama to be perfect with my own depiction of the leads. Dubbing almost ruins this drama, but as you go through you will get used to it. The female lead was not supposed to be that beautiful, thankfully it didn't really highlight that. While the read more male lead overcame the stereotype of my mind!

There were some parts changed compared to the novel, i found it reasonable as the drama needs to have some background story (you will know when you read the novel). I'm also half glad/half dissappointed with the mid-part. If you guys find it repetitive in the middle, that might be because they changed those part. Let me tell you that the middle part is actually the part when the female lead and the male lead really deepens their relationship in the novel. So my suggestion is to : Watch this -> Read the novel.

(FYI, i think Bai Ping Ting is little bit of masochist in the novel. That would explain in some comments why she would be willing to die so eagerly)
Daisy01
I don't think I will ever understand why Chinese dramas are ridiculously long - and for no good reason either. With that said, General and I (G&I) suffered greatly from said long episodes and the annoying drama tropes I dislike: unexplained time skips, disappearing characters, lack of character development, illogical character motivations and of course the drawn- out episodes. This may just be the only drama that I will review before finishing read more because the remaining episodes are very predictable. I managed to watch up to episode 56 before I decided to write my opinion on the drama; but, the writers could have just stopped at episode 32 and saved us the 30+ episode of rubbish. But, you should still watch it for amazing action scenes and cinematography.

On a Special Note:

Acting/Cast
Chung Wallace as Chu Bei Jie was great casting. Outside of the fact he literally carried the show, his actions scenes were also a treat to watch. There was plenty of eye candy from Angelababy as Bai Ping Ting, Sun Yi Zhou as He Xia, and Qi Hang as Ze YI - the casting directors did not disappoint.

More Please!
I would have loved to see more character development of Zou Yang as Zui Ju. She was an interesting character that the audience needed to understand her background and her motivations. Also, Wei Bing Hua as Chu Mo Ran killed it. Especially during his action scenes, he could certainly go toe-to- toe with Chu Bei Jie. Chang Xiao's cuteness overload was giving me life.

Honorable Mention
Gwei Fei for having no redeemable qualities. I love when antagonists are bad to the core.

Would I re-watch?
Only up to episode 32.
ahjussiaddict
i write this review only from drama perspective.

Story :
Overall it's a disappointment, it started good at the first half of the series (til ep 28 or 30). Then it became worse and worse til ep 53, it felt so draggy. Dropping this series also came through my mind while watching ep 30-52. I guess the writer was running out of ideas and making those 20 eps kept going in circle. read more Then ep 53-end, i won't say they're perfect nor good, but it's better after i watched those 20 stupid eps. Like everybody said, the ending's rushed.
(*SPOILER ALERT*) they kept saying only CBJ who could defeat HX, but at the end of the day CBJ's beaten and almost killed by HX. The writer didn't proof him as God of war at all at the end. Same as BPT, it's written as smart lady, but at the same time she's also fool, i really didn't buy her 101 reasons for leaving BJ. And she still did that til the end, tried to be stupid noble who left his husband for like the 100th time, tried to sacrifice herself or her love for the nation. Geez, after everything BJ had done (was left for years, separated him with his son), if i were him i wouldn't have forgive her.

Conclusion : i really wished instead of 20 draggy unnecessary episodes, i'd like to see the other characters stories, especially at the end.

Acting/cast :
Wallace as CBJ is perfect! I don't think there'll ever be a better version of CBJ. He's actually the reason i finished the series. Can't get enough of his charm, i really wish to see him more in historical drama.

On Angelababy as BPT..... i watched her historical drama before, doesn't convince at all that there's some progress here. still believe that there's lot more actress who could do better than her.

Sun Sean as HX, superb.

Others :
I love the costumes, esp the armor and dresses. The musics are beautiful too. Cinematography, same as any other chinese historical dramas, heavy use of green screen.

Rewatch Value :
maybe someday i'll rewatch it for the sake of Wallace, but i'll consider it ends at ep 30 or i'll skip ep 30-52.
All_In
General and I is an overall enjoyable romance & political/military intrigue drama. Your level of enjoyment will probably depend on your expectations (so true of so many dramas) and whether you read the book. So - full disclosure - I am a viewer who only read the first 6 very short chapters to kind of get the style of the writer. If you are a fan of romance with a large dose read more of intrigue, I would give it a go but it isn't perfect so here goes:

Story Flaws:

- The foundation of the story is the epic love between the General and Bai Ping Ting, but the drama chose to give short thrift to the falling in love aspect of the story using an overused trope. I would understand this but, you know, 62 episodes so no time constraints to use as an excuse. Many people dumped the drama early on because they weren't feeling it so go in knowing you have to eventually kind of buy into these two.

- Past the middle point of the drama it spins its wheels and many found it dragging. I actually enjoyed many of these episodes but eventually I also got a little frustrated. They could have taken 5 of those episodes and put them in the first part of the drama to build the love story.

-At this same middle point, writers decided to go a certain route which was also in the book but the reasoning in the book (because commenters commented) made both leads flawed people. To me the drama threw the female character under the bus. To be fair, commenters also did indicate some aspects as relates to the General's character during this same time frame were better in the drama. I don't want spoilers so I'll leave it at that.

Production Issues:

Use of Slow Motion: Almost every single moment of emotional impact utilizes slow motion. I swear you could cut 4 hours of drama time just in using regular speed. This to me, actually lessened the impact and, oddly, the sensuality of some of the intimate scenes between the two leads. I mean there is one scene in particular that could have been so much more impactful but the use of not only slow motion but a wind machine made it super cheesy. I think they were going for super romantic and maybe it worked for some.

Angelababy's make up: I'm over expecting reality when it comes to make up in C-Dramas. You could go through heck and back and still have perfect hair and make up. But the makeup artist who decided to use a little lip stain making BPT look like she'd been sucking on a cherry lollypop or had bloody lips....well, it took me out of the drama.

Pros:

-I'm a sucker for romance, but that always means a lot of politics and such with the dramas, and often it is repetitive and simplistic. I dinged the production on the foundation of the romance, but they did a great job in handling a lot of characters and setting up the political intrigue. Also the characters weren't cookie cutter. They were flawed individuals who at times made good decisions and often bad decisions. I wish they'd actually given more nuance to the leads because I thought they were a bit too perfect. All the co-stars did a stellar job.

-The Smexy. I don't need explicit, but if we have an epic love story, I want some real looking kisses and such and show delivers. No deer in the headlights going on here.

-I have watched a lot of historicals, and this drama actually surprised me with some of the twist and turns. I love that because in so many dramas, we viewers can be steps ahead of the characters. Good job drama.

-I thought the costumes - both the armor and the dresses - were well done. Also loved the OST.

-Overall, I thought the chemistry between Wallace Chung and AB was solid. I've seen better but generally thought that around episode 15 Angelababy got comfortable. Since this was pre-produced and they might not have filmed in order, this could be because I think the material actually got better. Basically she's only as good as the material given to her. Wallace Chung certainly brings the sexy, and I think he did a good job but not outstanding which brings me to...

Misc:

....the dubbing. Maybe because I've actually heard WC's real voice, but around the halfway point, I began to really dislike the tone of the voice actor doing the dubbing. It was too soft and just not powerful enough and that really does hinder how I viewed WC's performance. I don't know why it took so long to bug me. I'm used to dubbing and this is the first time it really hindered how I viewed a performance. And, truly, I really do like Wallace Chung.

Issues Others Had:

I had no trouble with any of this but here goes: Flying action scenes...I'm used to them. Heavy use of green screen; bothered me in beginning but again, it kind of goes with the territory. Only so much $$ to spend on production.

So depending on my mood, this could be a 7.5 to 8 and since I was left with a satisfied feeling after watching the last episode, I'm going with the 8.
Evelyn Rivera-Palen
love this drama. This is the first drama that I have seen Angel Baby in. She is so mesmerizing and talented. She looks like what a fairy queen would look like yet pulls off playing a strong character. I would like to see more if her dramas. Chang Wallace gets 5 stars from me in this drama. I recently saw him in a new movie with Lee Min Ho and he was read more very funny in that movie. Sun Sean I had not seen before he is another terrific actor. Would love to see him in another drama.
General and I

Hunan TV
  • Duration:

45 min.

• Score:

8.0 (scored by 318 users)
  • Ranked: