Sey KompungCham
Jun 30, 2017
Love this Princess Agents drama. Love the cast, specially the two main lead, Xinger and Yuwen Yue. This drama is really addicting and it makes you wondering what is going to happen next. I can't say much of the story line because of spoilers. Give this drama a try, you will not be disappointed. there are only 32 episodes that have been aired so far. I have rewatched them so many time already.
SaraRojas
Jun 30, 2017
As Princess Agents is ongoing this review will be getting updated as I go through **

So far I love this drama it's characters are aces, plot progression though slow at times is well paced with information being told at good intervals. The OST's are amazing!!!! I love how everything is timed perfectly with each scene. Good action sequences and political aspects, strategic plans, scheming, inner and outer strength growing in our read more characters. Character growth is also really well done. Chemistry between all the characters is elegant, anticipated and well executed. The story line so far is absolutely one of my favorite C-Dramas up to date.

Okay that's where I'm at for now. Also even though I'm not finished I can say this with 100% certainty that I will be able to re-watch this series in the future as of today I have re-seen the first episode again.

If you want thoughts/reviews/slight recaps of episodes I have them up to episode 16.

WATCH THIS SHOW. It's in no way a regret. It may have a lot of episodes but the story and actors make it go by so fast :D Give it a try what do you have to lose? (An amazing experience of a show that's what lol)

Sara Rojas JUNE 30 2017
Jeana
*Before I begin the review, I have sincere advice for anybody who hasn't started watching the show: Do not read the plot description of Princess Agents on Dramalist. Not only is it filled to the brim with spoilers, it also reveals things that the watcher should definitely not be aware of going into the show. They have copied the synopsis from Wikipedia which is highly misleading and so, in order to fully read more enjoy the show you need to forget about it.*

Princess Agents has most definitely been my favorite drama of 2017. I have been waiting for a long time to write this review and many a times I almost gave into the urge to gush about it to everyone but unlike some impatient little boogers, I decided to wait for the drama to completely air first. I'm glad I did.

Even though, Princess Agent's story remained interesting from start to finish, it was the cast and characters that were the essence of the show.
Everyone who knows me, knows that I for one have a lot of love for my lady badasses and Chu Qiao was the definition of a badass. She was brilliant, witty, an excellent fighter, loyal to the bone and fully determined in her beliefs. Nobody could boss her around and she always stuck to what she thought was right. Watching Zhao Zanilia on-screen has always been a pleasure. She's such a versatile actress and her effortless elegance along with her sincere charisma never fails to make her acting seem extremely natural. I loved Chu Qiao so much and her fighting scenes always blessed me with these unexpected bursts of adrenaline rush that left me jumping around in excitement.

One thing I absolutely hate in Chinese dramas are the robotic and emotionless male leads that are perfect in every way and while, YuWen Yue started off as being cold and aloof, he soon began to win hearts with his unadulterated devotion towards our girl. He's someone who's not afraid to express his honest feelings and show his vulnerable side and that is what made him so endearing. Lin Geng Xin put out the acting of his life and was able to easily deliver YWY's innermost emotions without having to do much. The chemistry between Chu Qiao and YWY was simply electric.
Princess Agents was Kung Fu made sexy and these two characters communicated their every feeling with it. Every time these two were in a room together the temperature rose a few considerable degrees until everything felt hotter and a lot more sensual.

However, even though I was wholeheartedly rooting for YuWen Yue, my love for Yan Xun wasn't insignificant in any way. Dou Shawn brought to life, with his stunning acting, an unforgettable character. His transition from a reckless, know-no-better, kind-hearted prince to a cruel and blinded by vengeance duke was heart breaking. No matter what he did, it was so hard to truly hate Yan Xun because he was a man shaped by the scars of his life; someone slowly losing grasp of the humanity that defined him and it was all just such a shame. With his sharp eyes and an even sharper jawline Yan Xun slayed the hearts of the viewers without even trying.

Normally, I despise love triangles. Primarily because I'm almost always more inclined towards one of the male leads and then all the romantic scenes with the other just piss me off. However, deciding between Yan Xun and Yuwen Yue was such a hard thing to do because they were both fully committed towards their love for Chu Qiao. Whenever my heart was cheering one of them on, there came fluttering a scene with the other man that melted by insides. Chu Qiao had significant history and a strong bond with both of them and by the end of the show, I was almost praying for YX to mess up in some way so she could go to YWY.

Another actress whose work needs to be commended is Li Qin. She played the role of the extremely annoying, holier than thou, too stupid to live princess and played it in such a way that she was still tolerable till the end. Chun'er, time and time again made me want to bang my head with the wall. Not only was she extremely naive and selfish, she always ended up making a tragedy out of herself. She had everybody bend over backwards to save her worthless ass from her own mistakes and then she chose to blame others for her failures. All of her schemes always failed and it ended in her being utterly humiliated. So it was only because of the brilliant acting that by the end of the show the watchers still harbored some sympathy for her. Li Qin is undeniably talented and her portrayal of some scenes often left me open mouthed.

Backed by stunning visuals, a hauntingly good soundtrack and a gripping plot-line, Princess Agents was a treat throughout. It had me waking up at 7 am every morning because I wanted to see the new episode as soon as the subs were released. It had me watching entire episodes in raw form just because I was too impatient to know what happened next and it had me wishing away my weekends because I had no episode to look forward to then.

All in all, this review clearly shows how much I loved this drama so you must be wondering why then, did I not give it a solid 10? That is where we address the elephant in the room. Up until most of the show, I was willing to give it a 10 without a second thought and then came the outrageous ending.

The drama ends with the worst cliff hanger in Asian Drama history with absolutely nothing resolved. It's like the thing that you've been looking forward to throughout 67 episodes finally appears and when everything is at its peak, the show ends and your celebratory moment is snatched away from you. However, it would've been all okay if a second season with the same cast had been confirmed. Then this horribly disappointing finale would've been converted to a powerful episode that filled one with anticipation for the next season but that is not the case. The news for the second season is muddy at best and there's a high chance that the actors for the show will be changed out.

That is what makes millions of viewers so angry and devastated because this seems like a huge injustice. A disrespect to the drama, the actors who worked their ass off and the viewers who had been wholly attached to the story. What we wanted was closure but instead it was like we were handed the short end of the stick. The last few episodes were filled with unnecessary filler trash and the writers cramped everything into the finale, shoved all of it under a rug and dusted their hands with it.

This is the reason why this show could have been something phenomenal but ended up having its head cut off due to poorly planned decisions made on the behalf of the Princess Agent's team. Just like in the show the foul actions of an insecure King ruined the lives of many, the reckless actions of the drama creators eradicated many hopes.

I myself felt betrayed. The ending was like a personal offense and all the hours invested into the drama suddenly felt wasted. In that moment I wanted to give it a 4/10 rating out of rage, which is why I completely understand the low reviews and the hate comments. Once you see the ending, slowly you start to judge the entire show and downplay everything about it. All the things that seemed so great before, start to leave a sour taste in the mouth. However while I understand it, doesn't mean I would do the same myself because even if I had known beforehand the way it was going to end, I would have still chosen to watch the show. Because upon further thinking I realized that for me being on this journey with these amazing characters and creating a bond with all of them, alone was a great experience and discrediting the whole show just because of the ending seemed unfair.

So if you're considering watching it, don't dread the result rather enjoy the process.

Good Luck!
darcy
I wish I could give it a higher rating, but I just can't. It started off promising, but then the story turned into a complete mess of bad story arc choices and pacing, with irrelevant side characters given way too much screen time at the expense of main characters. Also, the end makes you feel completely cheated.

The romance was... messy. It was as if the production team couldn't decide what they read more were trying to film-- an historical political drama, or a romance drama, and kept flip-flopping between the two. I felt like I was watching an half-arsed political drama half the time with irrelevant characters who don't contribute to Chu Qiao's storyline at all, and an underdeveloped love triangle between Chu Xiao, Yan Xun, and Yuwen Yue the other time.

The title "Legend of Chu Qiao" is pretty much a lie. There's hints at CQ having an incredibly interesting backstory, but that's shoehorned in at random times and isn't revealed until way too late, and never utilised to make an interesting story. CQ has very little agency, and the story isn't even about her bringing down the institution of slavery. It's first about her under the command of YWY, then her under the command of YX, and trying to outsmart a bunch of YWY/YX-related people want to kill her.

Her relationship with YX could've been one of the strongest emotional arcs, and while to some extent I did think it worked, it could have been much stronger. I found CQ's romance with YWY very underdeveloped and flat for the majority of the drama, although it started off okay, and got better near the end.

In terms of acting and characters, Dou Xiao (Yan Xun), Li Qin (Chun'er), and Niu Junfeng (Yuan Song) stood out to me the most. It probably helped that their characters had complete arcs, and had significantly changed from the start to the end. DX completely stole the show for me, and his portrayal of YX from a happy-go-lucky princeling to a person filled with hate was amazing. I wouldn't say CQ didn't have a character arc, but her storyline felt like one befitting a supporting character rather than the main character-- as such, I found ZLY's performance adequate, with a few great emotional scenes, but didn't wow me in the same way as DX or LQ. In the same way, I thought Lin Gengxin was watchable, but there were no real 'wow' moments for me.

Another highlight would be Deng Lun (Xiao Ce) whose foxy prince was amazing, but unfortunately, under-utilised.

The music was great, but I don't think I'll be rewatching this drama again. There's just way too much I'll have to fast-forward through.
krystalsoojungs
Jul 5, 2017
I am absolutely obsessed with this drama. Definitely going to update this review after the drama has aired. Was going to wait until after this drama finished airing to write a review, but simply couldn't wait that long. I've even been having dreams of this drama in my sleep LOL

I've skimmed through a large majority of the book, so I know where the general plot is heading. I absolutely adore read more the novel so far; it's very well written and I personally feel that the drama has adapted the book to the best of its abilities. I watch the episodes the day they air and as soon as they are uploaded because I'm super addicted to the story and can't wait to see what happens next.

Acting/Cast:
Everyone's acting is on point!! I honestly watched this just for Zhao Liying but throughout these episodes I have started to grown fond for the other actors/actresses and their acting skills. Everyone's on point, even the minor characters!

I personally feel that Chinese historical dramas have some of the best OST and music there is, and this drama's music does not disappoint! I especially love the OST for Yan Xun's character, the couple song for YWY/CQ as well as the OST for Chu Qiao's character. Love the instrumental music as well, especially the one used during YX's trial in episode 24 as well as other instrumentals placed throughout the drama.

Rewatch:
Totally rewatchable. Definitely going to rewatch this from the beginning.

Overall:
Awesome, awesome!!! Currently within my top 3 dramas of all time :D
EdwardTsai
Princess Agents started off as a good drama but the pacing and story telling got horrible. There were a lot of scenes that were unneeded and continued to prolong the drama. I could see the potential only if the director focused on the important things. This is why there were so many episodes and why this drama ended with a cliffhanger. You have been warned.
Anna Bowling
i can't write a review cause all i want to do is find the director and beat him with a stick or wrench. he messed up a good drama and make us look like a ______ fill in the blank but I'm one piss off lady. Love the actors but clearly the end just looks sabotaged. I don't feel like re watching it nor do i think the overall was deserved to read more the director but as for the actors excellent work guys. It's the decision we make that make us great and only if this director's heart had just said let me make a 68 ep so i can clear my concision so that way i wont get the beating stick but NAhhhhh he had to be a strength up bad***

p.s
I'll re-watch it only if a season 2 is announce happy:~
steph
Don't waste your time or stop before things get draggy it will be a huge disappointment in the end!
Ngan
Jul 10, 2017
Since this drama is still going on, I decided to just make a short review. I am a sucker for dramas that are mainly about the women defending and build themselves up stronger and doesn't need to be depending on men to survive. This drama is a great example of what I was talking about. The lead actress has shown varieties of different emotions to the audience like me, she makes sometimes read more dislike her character for the path that she's chosen, but there was also a time when she makes her decision understandable and i would 'ah, i see why you did that'. This is a great drama if you're into the warrior, war, slow-romance, kinda drama. I would definitely re-watch this in the future.
mz4jun
It had so much potential to become phenomenal but the directing/editing team just wasted all the potential with dragging later episodes and disappointing ending. It became such a disappointment when you had so much expectations for the drama with such a great premise and great casts. Like everyone who watched would say, the drama deviates so much from the synopsis which would mislead the expectations. I had expected a more action-packed female read more heroine-themed drama based around the spy networks. But, the spies became only a small theme of the drama while it focused and dragged so much on one sub-plot which is the revenge of Yan Xun. And the ending!! It is very clear that they gave us an open ending to keep the potential for Season 2 but seriously, can't they just give closure to us? It's not like they have well-planned to give Season 2 with all the casts back.

Well ,enough with my rants. Despite the flaws and disappointments, I still gave a very high rating because of all the feels I experienced while watching. YWY alone saved the drama. I might be biased in saying this but regardless of how tired I got from watching it dragged and dragged, I still continued watching it because of YWY and XingYue couple. Last time, I watched TMOPB, I thought Ye Hua must be the most suffering hero in all C-drama, but YWY just took the title. His love was so selfless and understanding that he does not ask for her to stay but only wants her to live happily. And of course, LGX brought YWY to life. Chu Qiao was very appealing and satisfying to watch as a female heroine who rose from slave status to a famous general in the beginning; yet, it became a subdued character in later episodes when she kept staying besides Yan Xun despite all that he has done. And the romance felt real and the two had so much chemistry that even with all the separations, every scene they are together, so much emotions felt between them.

Acting-wise, all the casts did a very great job. No one was lacking in his/her role. LGX especially stood out for me because his portrayal of YWY was majestic. ZLY, of course, did justice to her character. I didn't mention much of YX character because I wasn't a big fan of his, yet, Shawn Dou also did a great job portraying his character change.

So, to conclude, regardless of all the flaws and negative points, it was one of the great dramas this year, evidenced by the ratings and online views. I would still recommend to watch it if you are a great fan of Chinese historical/wuxia dramas and if you are a fan of either of the main leads and of course, if you can stand their pace and editing style.
Letty
Jul 6, 2017
The acting of the cast is very captivating and I have rewatched many different scenes throughout the drama. Rewatching is interesting and sometimes helps you to think of what will happen next and understand clues and foreshadowing better. The main characters of the drama are all very good-looking and skilled, the music is catchy and relevant. I highly recommend this drama. Most dramas that have this many episodes aren't worth watching because read more it is boring, but this drama is an exception. I appreciate the English subtitles so that those who aren't Mandarin can enjoy the drama too.
Li SHan Firman
This Drama, had me at the edge of my seat, and the chemistry between YWY and XE was so electrifying. The acting is brilliant, a little too many side plots, but overall they add to the excitement. I've rewatched the episodes so many times, I'm bordering on addiction! Waiting eagerly for season 2 with hopefully same actors.
Princess Agents
Watch Trailer

Alternative Titles

• Native title:

特工皇妃楚乔传
  • Also Known as:

特工皇妃; 楚乔传; Chu Qiao Zhuan; 11处特工皇妃; 特工皇妃楚喬傳; Te Gong Huang Fei Chu Qiao Zhuan; Te Gong Huang Fei

• Country:

Hunan TV
  • Duration:

45 min.

• Score:

8.3 (scored by 815 users)
  • Ranked: