The Liar and His Lover (2017)

Sian
Go in with low expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised. This drama is a relatively light watch that is easy on the eyes and ears.

As someone who hasn’t read the source material I can’t really comment on how this drama lines up. It did well to get so far with a limited amount of plot. At times the writing feels a little awkward but not enough to stop watching.

I read more liked that compared to the Japanese movie the main couple were closer in age and by the end So Rim was an adult.

The cast were very attractive and did surprisingly well with the script they were given.
I didn’t feel that there was much chemistry between the two leads, fortunately the friendships within the bands and the secondary couple make up for this.

The most enjoyable part of this drama is the music and the relationships between the characters. I found the songs would get stuck in my head for a few days after watching.

All in all a reasonably enjoyable show to watch with catchy tunes.
Angelina
Story
The story was slow paced & really boring. It did progress, but it progressed quite slow which was a drop for me. There wasn't even much of a story. I usually do love music genre dramas but this one didn't intrigue or interest me in any way which was disappointing. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't find myself to sadly.

Acting/Cast
As many know, Joy is from read more Red Velvet and this was her first drama. I didn't really have any high expectations because I do know some Kpop idols aren't really experienced in acting. Joy, however, she was quite decent/average in her role. I don't get the hate that was being thrown at her for her "rubbish" acting - It wasn't that bad. Lee Hyun Woo was also adorable in his role. The problem was the chemistry between the two main leads. I didn't find the bond exciting or anything, it was very boring and unreal.

Music
The OSTs for this drama are really sweet to listen to. I just finished the drama & I will definitely download them. I guess for me, this was the only good thing about the drama itself.

Rewatch Value
I hardly rewatch dramas unless they were exceptionally excellent. So in this case, I definitely won't.

Overall
If you are struggling whether to watch this drama or not, I'll say give 1 or 2 episodes a try. If you don't like it, I suggest dropping it because it doesn't get better. But if you do like it, keep going! Don't let my review discourage some of you because everyone has different tastes :)

Hope my review helped! x
TaraLynch
Lovely Love Lie (AKA The Liar and his Lover)

The alternate title sounds racier than this show actually is. It's a music industry story line with a girl in a high school band (think 19 years old) named Yoon So Rim (played by Idol Actor Joy from Red Velvet) and the superstar kpop producer Kang Han Kyeol AKA K of Crude Play (played by Lee Hyun Woo) who meet coincidentally several times read more and end up falling in love. There's also the base player from the fictional group Crude Play, Seo Chan Yeong (played by Lee Seo Won) who ends up being the producer for So Rim's group. There's some minor love triangle plotting going on, but mostly it ends up about being the trials and tribulations of the musicians - conniving music company execs, dating scandals, and industry scandals galore. Since it is technically a high school drama, it remains pretty firmly on the chaste side of things romance-wise. I feel like the story lost a bit of focus as it picked up various subplots and then dropped them just as quickly in several instances, but it remained cute and entertaining throughout. Even with several hardships thrown in for various characters, it never really loses its upbeat rhythm. Special shout out to UNIQ's Kim Sung Joo as Yoo Shi Hyun, the lead vocalist of Crude Play, and Jang Ki Yong as Crude Play's drummer Ji In Ho. There was never a point when I was watching where I felt like I was wasting my time, but there was also not really a point in the drama where I was overjoyed. This one's pretty middle of the line.
hardpliers
Finished watching this just 10 minutes ago. I thought I'd make it to be the first one to write this review but oh well :D

Honestly, the only reasons why I became interested in this drama was the original manga and that Joy from Red Velvet was the female lead. I don't typically watch musical dramas because they can become very cheesy real fast and the music could get on your nerves. read more However, the major thing that I found lacking the most was a powerful OST. Since it's a drama based on music and the entertainment world, I would've loved the variety of amazing and touching songs and occasional appearances of Kpop stars.
The story itself was quite lovely and light. I could the storyline being nicely fitted into a fresh anime, since it has that type of shoujo genre vibe. I was missing some characters' backstories, more screen time for the secondary couple please!
I thought that the casting was appropriate, moreover, I found some brilliant new actors to stalk... Also, the second lead syndrome was real, rooted for Chan Yeong oppa all the way~~~
Briefly, it's a fluffy and a lighthearted drama to watch if you're a music or a fan of the manga. Don't expect too much though since it's quite generic and predictable.
Eftihis
To be honest, I see a lot of people that are not pleased with this drama, but I totally loved it!
It wasn't anything WOW and it wasn't anything Ew, it was a really good drama! just that!

The story for me was amazing^^. I love these kind of plots that have to do with Music.

The acting was pretty good, nothing is wrong with it, just some times maybe, they were read more overreacting with their facial expressions I think. but it wasn't bad. it wasn't done a lot. very few times.

The soundtracks were supreme! i loved every single OST , especially "I am OK" which was kinda the "main" ost from what I understood!

The rewatch value goes to Zero, cause I only find dramas rewatchable when they got some kind of action inside, Well this drama of course doesn't have action xD. so I find it pointless to rewatch it.

Maybe some of you may thing that my score is "TOO GOOD" but, I don't find anything weird with the drama. That's why, and its all personal preferences of course so #peace!

Reasons i watched this? Hyped with the Gfriend Cover at the beginning xD.
GreenApple
The story is a checklist that contains all the usual teen drama tropes. It does not excel or improve on any of the boxes but man did they go out of their way to fill them.

The cast wasn't terrible but had a horrible case of miscasting. The male lead was more suitable for the cheerful friend rather than the brooding male lead. The female lead did not do terrible but will read more be remembered as Joy from Red Velvet rather than an actress judging from this performance.

For a music drama none of the songs featured made me open a new tab to look for them.

How I made it through the first time amazes and depresses me at the same time. No rewatch value.

The Japanese movie adaptation is light-years above this drama... and it's not that great.
SillyIlly
I think if you go into this thinking its going to be just like the source material you will be disappointed -- as it appears from the previous reviews left here.

As a stand alone however, I thought this was a great feel-good drama, that gave the right balance between romances and character developments. There was a lot of main characters who each had their own stories to complete so although it read more may have felt like it was moving slow for the progression of the So Rim and Han Gyeol lovestory, I think it did well in demonstrating that a story about two people isn't just about themselves but all the people around them and their own lives. For 16 episodes, TLAHL nailed it.

The best thing about this drama is the chemistry between all the male leads -- their relationship was so beautiful to watch and completely natural. Not just the Crude Play boys but also between So Rim's childhood friends -- bromance was everywhere and it was lovely to watch!

The music was sweet and addictive although I wish they had more than just the 2/3 songs, especially towards the end/final episode I hoped we'd get to hear Chan Young's new song as a big finale. Regardless it was really catchy and used well throughout.

If you're looking for a light, sweet and 'leaves-you-happy' drama this is definitely worth the watch! Don't expect any deep plot twists and dark underlying tragedies but a more slice of life musical with a great cast.
sk8trchichay
Its a light and refreshing Kdrama but it's not so much of a rewatch value. There is little to no chemistry between Joy and Lee Hyun-Woo. If more experienced actors were casted, I think the whole series would have given much more of an impact. The songs however are really catchy and nice.
Shannon K Fleming
I wasn't expecting much but found myself sucked in and overall enjoying the experience. I loved Choi Min Soo's character as K's father. Lee Hyun Woo did an excellent job as the lead.
Joy has potential but still needs time to develop as an actress. Lee Seo Won role was a bit pitifully written for several episodes, I was happy to see he was redeemed however in the end. . I loved read more the relationship between all Crude Play and Mush and Company,...The Shi Hyun and Seo Yeon characters...they could have had more air time together..perfect chemistry. Of course...The music made the show....The end felt a smig rushed to me but still satisfying ....I would give it 8-8.5 out of 10.
The Liar and His Lover
Watch Trailer

Alternative Titles

• Native title:

그녀는 거짓말을 너무 사랑해
  • Also Known as:

Geunyeoneun Geojitmaleul Neomoo Saranghae; She Loves Lie So Much; 그녀는 거짓말을; She Loves Lies; Lovely Love Lie;

• Country:

tvN
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

7.7 (scored by 2,074 users)
  • Ranked: