Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me

• Genres: Comedy, Romance, School
  • Tags: Webdrama
  • Rating: Not Yet Rated

• Members: 4,022

Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me (2017)

Jayne
Feb 21, 2017
A very easily enjoyable, light-hearted show with classic romance-comedy tropes that ended up unconsciously becoming addictive to watch and hard to stop (especially at the end of Season 1...) (*trying my best to be objective in this review*)

While Master Devil uses many familiar romcom tropes reminiscent of Itazura na Kiss and Hana Yori Dango (amongst others), the show stands out well in being a GOOD well-written romcom WITHOUT all the unnecessary angst, frustration over stupid/extreme characters or developments, and exaggerated/pointless drama.

The plot is well-balanced and well-written in being reasonable in its developments, while staying true to the classic tropes of romcoms. There is not only a good balance of romantic development between the leads, but also ample time given for the female lead Chu Xia to independently develop her own story arcs and interactions with other characters without the male lead.

The plot is written in a more realistic way for instance, such that it is NOT a girl-against-the-whole-world trope like the desperation felt in Hana Yori Dango. Similarly, the characters are also written quite distinctively and developed in a reasonable way. Contrary to the title, male lead Qi Lu really isn't an ass at all, even if he may be unfriendly. Many of the supporting characters are really nice, and even the antagonists themselves aren't completely irrational or hateful in their behaviour.

Admittedly still, there is still about ~10% of plot development that doesn't quite make a lot of sense and requires suspension of disbelief, e.g. the first episode lol. (But all will be well once you get over that bridge.) However, I feel like the amazingly funny/cute character interactions would completely make up for this~ (especially interactions with the male lead ;))

It was really a breeze completing this show, helped by its short 20-minute episode length and addictive previews. Forgiving the laughable CG (from the first ep) and not-that-great OST due to its lower web-cdrama budget, the young actors and plot still held the show up well and hit all the right notes for me in delivering almost everything I'd have wanted to see in a classic romcom, without the frustration.

That being said, it's EXTREMELY important to leave a disclaimer that these 23 episodes is NOT a completed story and will be directly continued in the upcoming Season 2 (which I'm still dying in anticipation for). Hence, with the HUGE POTENTIAL for romantic development being left in the air for Season 2 to pick up from, I have been left in a state of withdrawal, which also makes for the high rewatch value of the show, simply from being classic, light and cute.

SailorTrash
Mar 23, 2017
Honestly if you are looking for some light fluff then this is the series for you. The story isn't terribly complex but it does have some interesting bits to stick around for. Although it has some cliches, it surprisingly strays away from some of the major ones. If you can get past the first two episodes which were a bit cringy then you are sure to stick around. This series is ongoing and it's relatively easy to bingewatch.
Butterfly
May 29, 2017
Not so fond of chinese drama, so for me this one just so so. I skip lots of dialogue.
Carmey
Apr 8, 2017
I binge watched Master Devil Do Not Kiss Me.

Pros:
-The Leads: I really enjoyed the two lead characters. I liked that they aren't consistently interacting and have their own little arcs. An Chu Xia is a strong and likable female lead.

-Short Episodes. With these kind of shows, the shorter episodes are much more suited rather than the longer 45-90 minute episodes that many Asian drama have.

Cons:
-Dubbing. I originally thought that the streams I watched were out of sync but after reading some comments, I realised the voices were dubbed over, although I'm not sure why. It does obviously mess with the scenes in relation to emotions, etc but you can get over it pretty quickly.

-Meng Xiao Nan. Her dubbed voice is really annoying and she isn't a very helpful character or friend. She just pouts and whines a lot.

Overall, the show is light-hearted and humorous and definitely worth a watch if you aren't looking for something too serious.

Mea Arago
It's enjoyable to watch you will get addicted to it......
I liked the show cause the cast is pretty known and I like high school drama cause its like a reality for us..
It's so good for me but I don't know for others...I like it even though I hear some negative comments..
There is only one part that I don't like....in a drama or a movie you are waiting for like shocking part yess there is some shocking part but it's not like that you are gonna like scream???don't hate me it's my personal comment if you didn't like it, I understand..but overall it's good
FreeWhirpool
Mar 29, 2017
This drama's name is so cuckoo that it ALMOST put me off watching it. ALMOST...but I would also be lying if I said that one of my main motivations for watching this drama was the title. Imagine my surprise when this drama actually didn't turn out like I expected it to (i.e., shitty).

The two main characters were pretty likeable and had good chemistry, so the romance didn't flop. The plot was a bit of nothing, more go-with-the-flow than stick-to-the-script, but then again, it was still pretty entertaining.

Overall, I think it's great way to waste your time, because it really doesn't take much to finish an episode. Really, each is just like, 20 minutes anyway. There are definitely worse, less entertaining, things to watch.