Favorite Musical Dramas: From a Non-Kpop-er's Perspective

My Favorite Musical Dramas

From a Non-KPop-er’s Perspective

I know you are thinking, this has been done before; however, before you flip back to the main page, take note, this is totally from a perspective you’ve never considered. I am someone who doesn’t know SHINee from Big Bang or 4MINUTE from Sistar! I kid you not! When I watch a drama and someone tells me that the person is in that group, I am totally clueless; however, if they sing a song on the OST and it sticks in my head, I will Google, Yahoo!, Bing and hunt that mp3 down. So here are three of my favorite Musical dramas I’ve seen.

Stars:
Kim Jung Eun as Jun Seol Hee
Lee Joon Hyuk as Jang Tae Hyun
Kim Seung Woo as Cha Ji Wook
Jang Young Nam as Oh Seung Hye
Hyun Jyu Ni as Yang Ah Reum
Hong Ji-Min as Lee Hwa-Ja
Jang Shin-Young as Park Soo-In

Synopsis: Jun Seol Hee recently divorced from her high-flying, adulterous lawyer husband, Cha Ji Wook, and determined to get her life back on track, returns to her rock band roots. She becomes the leader of the Comeback Madonna Band, an all girl group consisting of fellow 'ahjummas'. The other members of the band are Yang Ah Reum, lead guitar, Lee Hwa-Ja, bass guitar, and Park Soo-In, drummer . Together they search for happiness and personal fulfillment through their music.

What I loved about the music: Listening to the Comeback Madonna Band took me back! Their music was so reminiscent of the girl groups that I remember from the 80’s and 90’s like the Go-Go’s, Vixen, Stevie Nicks, or even the Bangles. I know, most of you are too young but I bet your parent’s remember! This was the first of many mp3 downloads that I searched for. I literally have the entire OST on my iPhone.

A Million Roses (my favorite!!)

Comeback Madonna

Sarang Sarang Sarang

Stars:
Im Jun Hwan as Jang Jae Hun
Jang Hee Jin as Eun Chae Young
Kang Dae Sung as Ha Do Sung
Oh Man Suk as Sun Woo Young
Im Joo Eun as Oh Doo Ri
Kim Ji Won as Park Tae Hee
Jo Jung Suk as Kim Byung Gun

Synopsis: The young adults of the musical department of Haneul Arts University consist of various individuals from different backgrounds. Jang Jae Hun is a high school dropout, country girl Park Tae Hee, Ha Do Sung who anonymously performs as the rock star HADES, Kim Byeong Gun who just wishes to pursue a career in musicals, Eun Chae Young is an experienced actress, and Oh Doo Ri who really doesn’t want to be there. They find themselves under the guidance of professor Sun woo Young as they prepare for a musical competition. The music featured showcases each actor’s talent throughout the drama.

What I loved about the music: When I listen to the songs from this drama, they just boom! They resonate! I actually feel the notes to my bones! I suffer chills! Their voices are so, so beautiful!! Not just one of them, ALL OF THEM! When Jo Jung Suk sings the last note of his duet with Kim Ji Won, I have to pause! Simply wonderful! And let’s not forget my discovery of Dae-Sung!!

Grease the Musical-feat. Byung Gun

Tae Hee/Byung Gun’s Ballad

Lunatic feat. Dae-Sung

Stars:
Sung Joon as Kwon Ji Hyuk
Kim Min Suk as Seo Kyung Jong
Lee Hyun Jae as Jang Do Il
Kim Myung Soo as Lee Hyun Soo
Yoo Min Kyu as Kim Ha Jin
Lee Min Ki as Joo Byung Hee

Synopsis: Eye Candy is a rock band consisting of 6 members. Byung Hee is the crazy, free-spirited leader and vocalist.  The other members consist of the moody Ji Hyuk, chic Hyun Soo, playboy Ha Jin, silent Do Il and baby-faced Kyung Jong. After the students are transferred to Jung Sang High School, they begin a musical confrontation with Jung Sang's current ruling band, Strawberry Fields.

What I loved about the music: Are you starting to notice a trend in the type of music that I like? I’m a rocker at heart! And these boys were playing those songs!! I remember less about the drama and more about the music and the particular scenes, which featured the music. This was also my introduction to L and Infinite! Now I can say I like two KPop groups!

ALL OF THESE ARE ON PERMANENT LOOP on my iPhone!!

Jaywalking/Ji Hyuk (Sung Joon)

Love U Like U/Do Il/Ye Rim (Duet with L and Ye Rim)

Wake Up/Eye Candy

MDLer's what are your favorite OSTs?

mszither Nov 11, 2013

Fell in love with the OSTs of I Am Legend, seriously daebak

chibitotoro Oct 15, 2013

Just finished watching What's Up and want to watch more of it!! It's similar to Monstar but soo much better on many levels! Saw Shut Up Flower Boy Band around last year, another fab drama series to watch. Absolutely love LOVE these two dramas, they're a must see!!! Don't miss out now!!! I also recommend watching You're Beautiful and Heartstrings but for me, What's Up and Shut Up Flower Boy Band are the best Musical dramas!!

Nijura Sep 21, 2013

I have seen just Shut Up Flower Boy Band and I loved it. Currently, I am watching I am Legend and What's Up is on my List Planning-To-Watch as well. Like you, I love rock music and I do not usually listen to Dance music.

LoveAsianWorld Aug 11, 2013

If you haven´´t watched you´re beautiful or heartstrings you should watch them! they´re really good!

AISHA Jul 5, 2013

i like shut up flower boy more i love the dramer ^^

Room707 May 31, 2013

What's Up is such a good drama! I wish there was another season... I feel like some of the individual character stories weren't completed.

asiram May 25, 2013

Whew i think i want to watch i am legend.....ive watch shut up and love the song and thanks for the title gonna google and download too on my note...

clairesilverspar May 24, 2013

Shut Up is probably to OST I listen too most, despite STILL not finishing the drama, but You're Beautiful was the first OST I listened to outside of the drama. I have Heartstrings OST too, but I need to find more rocky ones, like the ones you've mentioned. I think I might try watching them.

NewKDramaAddict May 24, 2013

I am Legend is all about the music! But you get the thrill of seeing Lee Joon Hyuk sing! He has a wonderful voice!

Junichyung May 23, 2013

Shut up rules! Really adore the story and the characters so is the music. My forever favorite in the OST would be Wake up and Jaywalking ?

Junichyung May 23, 2013

Nyappychan May 23, 2013

What's Up is definitley the best musical drama I've watched! I loved it!!! Since I'm a quite big VIP Daesung's presence made it even better but that was like only a bonus the otherwise wonderful drama! Best song was their version of "Seasons of Love" especially the wistle version in the last scene; so emotional!

Emily May 22, 2013

I never finished Flower Boy Band, and have never even heard of the first one, but lemme just say.. 'What's Up' is awesome. 900% recommended. Daesung is flawless, and the dude that plays Byung Gun, whose name I forget, is freaking awesome. He sang a bit in 'King2Hearts' and I thought I was going to die.

NewKDramaAddict May 23, 2013

Jo Jung Suk, yes he is awesome! He started in musicals. You should see some of performances.

YokoLuna May 22, 2013

What´s Up is the Best <3
    and i want to watch iam Legend *-*

HallyuBack May 22, 2013

The soundtrack to SUFBB is one of my favorites to listen to on my morning commute through Korean traffic^^

karaleen May 21, 2013

The songs performed by A.N.Jell on You're Beautiful were my first foray into Kpop. That fictional band really knows how to rock. And they eventually led me to C.N.Blue and F.T.Island too.

NewKDramaAddict's most recent articles...