News Compilation by CheerfulSoul: Japanese Dramas News

gets a live action adaptation

It’s been announced that Yoshikawa Miki’s ongoing romantic comedy school manga is getting a live action adaptation by the screen writer Ogawa Makoto and the producer Yanagawa Yukiko. The manga debuted in 2012 and with seven volumes so far; it’s getting a lot of attention especially from young female readers. This is not Yoshikawa’s first manga’s live adaptation after one of her other manga:  Yankee-kun to Magane-chan got a drama adaptation back in 2012 with Narimiya Hiroki and Naka Riisa as leads.

Starring Yamamoto Yusuke (Hana Kimi, High School Host Club) and Nishiuchi Mariya (Switch Girl, GTO 2012); the upcoming fantasy drama will tell the story of Ryu Yamada; the high school’s most problematic student and Urara Shiraishi, the beautiful honor student. Accidentally, they bump into each other on the stairs and their lips touch as they fall. When they gain their consciousness, they realize that their bodies are mysteriously swapped. They found out that every time they kiss, they swap bodies. It then became clear that Urara is a witch who has special abilities and the kiss activates those abilities. After they discover that there are six other witches with special abilities; they start searching for them…

The cast:

Ono Ito                       Nagae Yuuki               Kojima Fujiko              Nishiuchi Mariya
Tokuyama Hidenori      Yamamoto Yusuke       Ide Takuya                  Mamiya Shotaro
Matsui Airi                   Miyama Karen            Reina Treindl               Kobayashi Ryoko

The drama is set to air on August the 10th on Fuji TV every Saturday with an average duration of 40 minutes each episode.

Yamada-kunto 7-Nin no Majo is in fact one of the few Mangas I am currently reading. The story is well done and interesting but I was expecting an anime not a live action adaptation. Well, I am sure Yoshikawa knows what suits her work the best, I will be looking forward to this although I have few doubts about Yamamoto Yosuke as Yamada since the latter is a very tough problematic character and I never saw Yamamoto in such a role but hopefully, this will be able to show his good acting skills in portraying it.

Matsumuto Jun to star in drama special

It’s been revealed that Matsumoto Jun will be starring in NHK’s upcoming drama special which marks his return to NHK after 15 years (since Hitsuyo no nai Hito back in 1998). It also marks his first leading role in an NHK’s drama.
The drama special is based on the song “Furusato” (Literally “hometown”) which was sung by Arashi (The Boy band that Matsumuto Jun belongs to) and other artists in NHK’s Kouhaku Uta Gassen (music show annually shown in NHK every New Year’s Eve) for three consecutive years and touched many people’s hearts because it was about how precious the hometown is.
With Arai Shuuko as the screenwriter; the drama special will tell the story of Wataru a freelance cameraman who left his hometown to work in Tokyo. However he doesn’t do well in his work and he had to go back to his hometown to take pictures for a travel magazine by the orders of his superiors. He then reunites with his family, his friends, ex-girlfriend who works as an elementary school teacher as well as a group of elementary children who want to participate in a choir Contest. Wataru who wanted to become a teacher when he was younger, sets a journey to revive his dreams with the help of those around him.
Co-Stars include Toda Naho who plays Wataru's elder sister, Kunimura Jun who plays his father as well as Onoue Hiroyuki, Ishida Takuya and Tokunaga Eri who play Wataru's ex-classmate and Eikura Nana who plays the role of his ex-girlfriend.
Filming is in the countryside and Matsumoto is working on his piano playing since he has a few scenes where he’s playing piano.
The drama special is to air on September the 23rd on NHK.
This is the type of special that would get a lot of intention from Japanese viewers because it hits a theme related to them while the international audience won't seem to care about it and if they do then it's because of Matsumoto's presence and not because of the "hometown" theme.

Tamaki Hiroshi to star in drama special

“Jiken Kyuumei-IMAT no Kiseki”

Tamaki Hiroshi (Love Shuffle, Nodame Cantabile, Tada Kimi Wo Aisheteru) will be the male lead of Asahi’s TV drama special Jiken Kyuumei-IMATno Kiseki which centers around the incident Medical Assistance Team (In short IMAT) which is a unit of doctors formed out of Nippon Medical School’s hospital at the request of the Metropolitan Police department to handle medical emergency cases.
This marks Tamaki’s first doctor role and thus the first medical drama as well as the first Japanese drama based on IMAT. Tamaki Stated that wearing the full set uniform and the accessories while executing the medical assistance was very hard due to the hot weather.
Other co-stars are Tanaka Kei, Takahashi Katsunori, Kanjiya Shihori and Mizuno Miki.

The filming was done on location. Therefore, the shooting was very long considering the fact that this is a drama special. The drama is set to air on September this year on Asahi TV but the exact date is yet to be announced.

Do any of these seem interesting to you?

Kalahara Sep 30, 2013

Yusuke Yamamoto was made for this role.

jasminepearls Aug 2, 2013

I just started reading Yamada and the Seven Witches and holy crap, it was as if every other role Yusuke Yamamoto has played was leading him up to this one.

I am so freakin' excited for this. I hope they do it well! The manga is just adorable.

lilisen Aug 2, 2013

I love them all!!! Ureshii *.*

Aphrodity Aug 1, 2013

I heard about the manga here and there and I think it's going be a school drama with some fantasy which is alright with me.

I will also watch Hajimari no Uta and IMAT; they seem pretty interesting to me.

Thanks for the news CS, keep them coming (^_^)

MoonLight Aug 1, 2013

It looks like Yamamoto Yusuke drama will have a lot of kissing which is very rare in Japanese dramas; I will have to see that.

Aphrodity Aug 1, 2013

Not only rare but almost never happens that's why I am waiting for that drama.

Cheer Aug 1, 2013

This will be a revolution LOL

dapinaymrs Aug 1, 2013

Reveal Spoiler »
      mahgikkow23 Aug 2, 2013
      Reveal Spoiler »
      SRASinister Aug 2, 2013
      Reveal Spoiler »
    EtherSword Jul 31, 2013

Third one is interesting, I like medical dramas and I love Kanjiya Shihori. I think the first one might be interesting.

BrightestStar Jul 31, 2013

I don't agree that international fans wouldn't be interested in a "hometown" theme. If i watch it it'd for the theme i'm not crazy about Matsumoto Jun but i do love those types of themes. Tamaki Hiroshi is an actor i'd a drama for :D

Herbstkind Jul 31, 2013

Yamada-kunto 7-Nin no Majo sounds interesting, i will definitely watch it!

jacqueline Jul 31, 2013

The first one I'll most likely watch, though kinda tired of school dramas x_x. I am on the fence with Hajimari No Uta while I wanna watch it just for Matsumuto Jun don't really know about the drama. Jiken Kyuumei-IMAT no Kiseki sounds kinda boring maybe watch the first episode to see if I will like it. Thanks for the article :)

Minamiau Jul 31, 2013

Yeah, Yamada-kun to 7-Nin no Majo!!!! The manga is great, so I'm very exited about the live action!! :D

bocka Jul 31, 2013

The manga adaptation sounds interesting, I like these kind of stories, where boy and girl exchange bodies :D And I will definitely watch that hometown drama as well. I can proudly say, that my main cause to watch this special was not MatsuJun (although I love him) :D
    Have you heard the most popular Japanese folk song, Furusato? When I was in Japan with my choir, we sang it at the end of our concerts. I can't properly explain that feeling, when you walk down from the stage and you pass by weeping Japanese, who sing along with you with a smile on their face. This memory still brings tears to my eyes. At first we didn't understand, why they are crying. Then I searched for the lyrics translation and I found out. Now I really know, what this song (what their hometown) means for them.
    I know, that Arashi's song is different from that folk song. I've just listened to their version, and I liked it. Even so, I wish, this drama would use the folk song (if not instead of Arashi's Furusato, but as an addition).

Cheer Jul 31, 2013

I didn't hear it mainly because I am not interested in Asian Music but I can understand why would Japanese be moved it.

celene Jul 31, 2013

I will definitely watch all three ...^~^
    Thank you for the article....

Nikuman Jul 31, 2013

I really cannot wait anymore for this. I am a huge fan of Yankee kun to Megane Chan. I loved the real live adaption of the manga and now finally another highlight work. I really cannot wait anymore ;__;!!!

amrita828 Jul 31, 2013

All 3 seem interesting to me. The first because it stars Nishiuchi Mariya, whom I truly love. She puts me in a good mood only by watching her very mobile face. :) The idea of switching when kissing is great: it means we can have a lot of kissing, lol. I'm not a die hard fan of Yamamoto Yosuke, but he can act, so I think he will play the part well. :)

The one with MatsuJun interests me on more levels: 1. the province setting; 2. the fact that there are children; 3. the piano. Bought. :D

The third? Hiroshi could read the shopping list and I'd love him anyway. ;)

Thanks for these news, Cheer! :)

Cheer Jul 31, 2013

Believe me; I am reading the manga and if they follow most of it then it's not only a lot of kissing but it will be the first Japanese dramas with many kisses and kissing partners in history.
      And you're welcome Rita (:

amrita828 Jul 31, 2013

What can I say then? I'm in! :D

• 0Published Posts
  • 0Total
  • 0Total Views

Cheer's most recent articles...