Scarlet Heart Ryeo: How It Should Have Ended

This has spoilers about Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, so do not read until you've finished the drama.

Fan Theory based on Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo

71Ne7xk4_10ae9f_f.jpg

Closure. if there is one thing that Scarlet Heart Ryeo didn’t give fans of the
OTP, It was a little bit of modern time closure for the lead couple. So (played by Lee Joon Gi) is stuck in the past, while other Soo (played by IU) is now back where she belongs in the future.

With only Choi Ji Mong (the King's Astronomer played by Kim Sung Kyun), left to check up on her, things are left a little open.

Fans are treated to a teaser scene or possible alternate ending pic, as a man’s hand is seen passing Soo a handkerchief. Does this gentlemanly hand belong to So? Hmmm time to speculate as currently there are no indications of a season 2.

M4PJ8zVL_b5758a_f.jpg

In the meantime, here is a fan theory for how it should have ended. What could be more fun than seeing the reincarnation of So in present time?

In typical kdrama fashion, let's assign him his new role!

So would most likely be a Chaebol/son of a conglomerate in present day Korea. This seems fitting since he was a King in his past life.

r1xEbOnL_3d1715_f.jpg

In typical kdrama fashion, the writer would probably have him accidently cross paths with Soo, while surveying a building that he owns. She, of course, would happen to work there, selling perfumes and makeup products as seen in the closing scenes of the final episode.

Insert that peculiar ‘Have-we-met-before’ look and the onset of fluttery emotions for sweet Soo! She now remembers her time traveling, and with no possible way to describe or explain that situation to anyone. She recognizes him right away.

Y4BQ2bE3_6712a0_f.jpg

If there was a season 2, I’m sure the writer would explore the occurrences that would throw them back into each other’s circles repeatedly, until sweet attraction blossoms into memories and love, and down the road a beautiful baby girl.

However, a modern take might leave these characters seemingly out of place.

While viewers could adjust, I think the ending we were given is how it should be.

A genuine love that surpassed time, and that love can change a person and give hope. Because of their love, So was a better King and noted for his wisdom and just rulings. But for those wishing for that modern fairytale moment.

Here are some beautiful fanart and photoshopped pictures!

D457x67L_299d2f_f.jpg

W19X0VQ4_7440ed_f.jpg

W3ryAx9L_c024aa_f.jpg

And in time, fanfiction adventures will follow, no doubt.

Y4a5dGq4_571aaa_f.jpg

If you're still missing the adventure and have not yet seen the original that SHR was adapted from, check out the Scarlet Heart page here on MDL.

What are your thoughts on the SoSoo OTP meeting in the future? How did you want the Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo to end?

Alekwang Mar 15, 2017 - edited

I honestly like the ending. It's a tragic love story in which the two can't be together but they're still living in each other memories and even if they continue on with their lives, they can still cherish what happened in the past and they both changed each other's life somehow.
    Things don't always go the way we want but we have to cherish what we did have.

Cristy Nepomuceno Nov 24, 2016

Vote exo for mama2016 #baekhyun

JudithKaplan Nov 21, 2016

yup- agree 10000%!!!

silent_whispers Nov 20, 2016 - edited

I do think for the story the ending was perfect.

Great article and thanks for sharing the artwork.

Shima0810 Nov 20, 2016

I don't think that would be possible cause So as a king, can not leave everything just to be with his love. As he did not when Soo said she does not like him to be the king. He wanted the kingdome and his love was his sacrifice

makeuptemple Nov 17, 2016
    Reveal Spoiler »
    bokami Nov 17, 2016 - edited

I have an incredible idea for an extended amazing super ending ever

- after her memory came back, she misses him very very much and cried like no tommorow
    - then she attempted to time travel again by jumping to the same spot again but didn't work then she died after drowning.
    - after several minutes later .... a man (Wang So look alike) pass by and see her dead body
    and says to himself ...."oh! poor girl"
    - The End...

Sora Nov 18, 2016

WAT

Hannah Nov 19, 2016

Or it could be the bodyguard (being So) saving her from drowning and it could be like she never died

Shima0810 Nov 20, 2016

You should write a trilling screen play.

rheabiel Nov 17, 2016

as someone has said, despite all the flaws, deep down, beneath it all, there's a gem in this drama that people, including myself, can't hate but love.

kdramalover Nov 16, 2016 - edited

I was expecting that ending...too bad. Miss them already :(

HaeSoJiSooTrash Nov 17, 2016

I haven't seen the original but once she started getting sick I knew what was going to happen. Didn't stop me from bawling my eyes out. I miss them too.

josiexjo Nov 16, 2016 - edited

I'm always iffy about those reincarnation endings because it's not the same person, only a lookalike, but also a full season 2 would imply more suffering for Ha Jin and I think suffering in Goryeo was enough.

HappySqueak Nov 16, 2016

true it only really works if both people who are reborn, remember their past lives. I liked the modern re-meet as shown in Snow Lotus from historical lives to modern day lives.

LOVE the fan art! The ending was great; if you pay attention to what the king says at the end, and several other hints, you know there's a future happy ending even though it didn't actually show the details of how it was going to happen. Please, people, don't let the reviews/comments deter you from watching this fantastic show.

CarlaSantini Nov 16, 2016 - edited

Wait, weren't they gonna have an airing of the alternative special ending?

HaeSoJiSooTrash Nov 16, 2016

I was hoping there would be after seeing IU's Instagram post but unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

martyfairy Nov 16, 2016

I'm so disappointed :( Why did they do this to us? If this final scene wasn't supposed to be shown why did they show to us IU's post? :(

makeuptemple Nov 17, 2016

No alternatives endings will air, only director's cut will air

makeuptemple Nov 17, 2016

No alternatives endings will air, only director's cut will air

HaeSoJiSooTrash Nov 16, 2016 - edited

Just give a me a drama special where they meet. A second season isn't necessary.

Lorell Nov 16, 2016

I second that! 2nd season like with the original Scarlet Heart is not necessary (and in Chinese version I heard 2nd season wasn't so great...), we just need like 3 min max last scene or special and it will be fine XD

Trouble-chan Nov 16, 2016

Yup agreed - if the studio is dead set against a second season because of the stupid 'netizens' then just give us a damn special. The fans deserve consideration too, not just miserable so-and-so's on the net!

Andro Nov 15, 2016 - edited

I really Need Season 2

makeuptemple Nov 17, 2016

there is a petition for this google Sign the petition for a second season Moon lovers the first one

Docta Nov 15, 2016 - edited

I think It just would have been nice if the last episode was one minute longer:
    -He pass her a handkerchief
    -She looks around and meets his face
    -Her eyes open wide as he just smiles at her wisely
    Leaving all of us with the question if he knew something or not about their former lifes.
    Nothing more!! And I would have been happier! It wasn't that I didn't like the ending at all, it's just that it let me with the sensation that I needed more of this drama.
    The ending that I truly loved was the one from "Rooftop Prince"

HaeSoJiSooTrash Nov 16, 2016

I'd be okay with that scenario as well. I just wanted a few minutes of them in the future even if it's not canon.

HappySqueak's most recent articles...