5 Reasons to Watch Daily Dramas!

5 Reasons to Give a Daily or Long-Running Weekend Drama a Try!

74KeQVVL_4c6e11_f.jpg

So you might be a long-timer viewer of dailies or weekend dramas, or you might just be curious about these dramas. Often the episode count could be a turn off to some viewers who are looking for a story that is wrapped up in a shorter time period. There is quite a large selection of completed titles so if you’re in a pinch to binge something while waiting for your favourite currently airing dramas. This could be amusing filler to pass the time.

Reason 5: The Variety of Extended Characters

(image from Glorious Day)

73DomVkL_f1d170_f.jpg

In you average 12-24 episode Drama these side characters may come and go or have brief importance to the story before the drama stirs and the main leads primary storyline is obviously heavily followed.

In dailies or your weekend long running 50 epper for example, extended and supporting characters will be integrated a little stronger with storylines of their own that are panned out as the long drama continues. There might not be just one romantic pairing to follow, but a couple!

These characters are often family members, friends or acquaintances. They are often quirky and interesting adding some humour, depth and possibly some challenges to our leads if they are opposing rivals.

Reason 4: Episode Length

Dailies often clock in just under or slightly over 30 minutes, meaning that whopping 120 episodes or more, isn’t as long as you think. When your mainstream average length drama is about 50-60 minutes.

pLZVOqPL_349ce1_f.jpg

If you are just discovering dailies and weekend dramas, you probably know there is quite a variety of completed dramas that are ready for huge binge sessions.  A weekend drama has usually 2 episodes per weekend and is usually 1 hour long each episode.

Reason 3: Familiar Formulas

The tropes! We know them well, ridicule them, predict them, love and laugh at them! So often drama plots are recycled, it can be hard to find a fresh story! The dailies much like your mainstream average length tv dramas, cannot escape from the tropes either resulting in familiar storytelling formulas.

(images from Father, I'll Take Care of You)

X3b0OB71_568a0a_f.jpg

Often a female lead will struggle until she manages to conquer her foes with the odds stacked against her. In other instances, a beginning ‘good’ character may go sour half way through then end up not being redeemable coming to the end.

(slightly forced living situation arrangement)

84JQ7VN3_d1eb35_f.jpg

You will find a variety of stories from dark moody melos, too optimistic and comedic family situated storylines. From forced living situation to office romance etc

(Image from Unknown Woman)

732p6OE1_e04f64_f.jpg

Ha! These are famous last words in a daily or weekend drama by an opening male lead...buh-bye good guy going toxic with betrayal around the corner.
The dailies do have it all but gradually spread out in longer story lines to reach those critical and key moments.

Reason 2: Build up of a Romance

b3E0bonL_7160c5_f.jpg

In your regular length drama typically by episode 6 or 7 male lead’s interest has been sparked by the female lead and he is figuring out his feelings by pinning her against a wall, grabbing her wrist or some kind of confession! Very occasionally in a Daily or Weekend sparks will fly right away in beginning episodes.

mLA0DJ21_cd17ca_f.jpg

But usually, there is a slow brewing build up to the romance. It is certainly not rushed here, so if you’re a fan of a slow burn love.

(Image from New Tales of a Gisaeng)

PL6QVlb1_e57018_f.jpg

You will get to enjoy a long version of accidental meetings, lingering stares of attraction, and situations between one pair of characters. I say one pair, as mentioned above there is often more than one romance pairing to follow. Typically there will be a young adult couple, mid-twenties to mid-thirties. Possibly a high school aged pairing romance and maybe even a senior citizen pairing romance to follow which can be funny and cute!

Reason 1: Drama

(Images from Love on a Rooftop)

W47QjNnL_d28526_f.jpg

Yup, nothing is more kooky and dramatic than a daytime Soap! Albeit some have a decent plot, and a gripping storyline to keep you hooked for the next ep! A few might really shake things up makjang style and really give you almost a dose of too much ridiculous drama than you bargained for.

D3mdjxWL_61b574_f.jpg

While this might sound a little against the other points of why you should watch a daily. It is an honest fact!

If you are interested in dipping your toes in and trying some titles here are some recommendations to get you started.

Rich Boy + Poor Girl: New Tales of a Gisaeng

01eM8rk1_f814bb_f.jpg

The handsome Sung Hoon (currently starring in My Secret Romance) had some major chemistry in this family drama, which also shows a look at the art and story of modern Gisaeng in South Korea. New tales of a Gisaeng. This rich boy + poor girl love storyline is addictive! (52 Episodes)

Switched at birth: Twinkle Twinkle

VLQYKGjL_b3578f_f.jpg

Looking for something with a brooding plotline to give you feels! Try Twinkle Twinkle, 2 girls accidentally switched at birth go back to their rightful places. You will find sorrow, growth and touching story of parental love. (54 Episodes)

Gender Bender that literally never ends:

One well raised Daughter

d4voWn91_6634fd_f.jpg

The first 5 episodes can feel a little heavy plot development wise but once the ‘time-jump‘ kicks in, it is so enjoyable to watch this female lead in disguise as a guy through much of the story especially with a male lead and 2nd male lead always nearby. (122 Episodes)

E1VRz2p1_f7f211_f.jpg

Amnesia + 2nd Chance at Love: I Have a Lover

91MEbGO1_da89f0_f.jpg

A drama with lots of feels of heartbreak, betrayal, mistaken identity and a 2nd chance at love between the leads. Gripping pacing. (50 Episodes)

Have any favourites to share? Any to avoid?  Let us know in the comments.               Thanks for reading!

JulySnow2 May 15, 2017 - edited

My 1st ever dramas I watched where I'm Sorry I Love You (short 20 eps) & the daily drama Melody of Love (150 eps). So I acquinted myself with both types of dramas at the same time. Ever since, I've only ever watched shorter 20 eps dramas, because it's easier to get into with the shorter length. But I do think dailies/weekend dramas ate underrated (see reason #2), just make sure to find the better ones. Once I've finished acquiting myself with shorter dramas which have my favorite actors/biases : dailies will be next!

JulySnow2 May 15, 2017

REASON #2 AKA. SLOW BUILDUP AKA. BELIEVABLE RELATIONSHIPS is the biggest reason. An actual believable romance, imagine that!

Ginger May 12, 2017 - edited

Most of these are weekend dramas not daily...and while I enjoy many weekend shows (50-60 1hr eps twice a week) I never enjoyed a daily drama (100-120 eps 35 mins five times a week)...the best dailies I watched was 6/10 worth..
    Except for a few rare dailies, I wouldn't recommend dailies even to my enemy...repetitive, long, super makjang, poor quality, poor acting most of the time...even Korean broadcast channels know they are just to fill empty time...they are usually given very low budget even if the ratings are high.
    Weekend dramas mentioned here (usually have good cast and more well known writers and better side characters development due to longer episode length):
    Glorious Day
    Father, I'll Take Care of You
    New Tales of a Gisaeng
    Twinkle Twinkle
    I Have a Lover
    Dailies mentioned in the article:
    Unknown Woman
    One well raised Daughter
    Love on a Rooftop

T0P May 12, 2017

I agree. I only started watching dailies because I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel in my drama watching. I watch daily dramas with the caveat that I'll fast forward through any side characters I find boring. Sometimes, I find myself fast forwarding through more than half the show. Why do you watch then, a sane person would ask? I don't know. smh

HappySqueak May 12, 2017

well said :) this article is a mix of both daily and weekend. But the main subject title was too long. But it is mentioned above the opening meme pic "5 Reasons to Give a Daily or Long-Running Weekend Drama a Try!" Thanks for categorizing them with your list ^_^

FlowerDreamStar May 10, 2017

Daily Dramas are my favourite thing in Dramaland.
    My first one was Cruel Temptation and I got addicted.
    Now when I look at the number of episodes I am like "What? 16 episodes? Too short"
    I like drama drama type and daily dramas are good with that.

naccu May 10, 2017

Ugly Alert is the best one <3

tan May 10, 2017

Ojakgyo Brothers is one of my all time favorite drama. It has 4 couples and stars Uee, Joo Won, Yeon Woo Jin ,Ryu Soo Young among others. Not makjang at all.

kdramaheiress May 10, 2017

I enjoy long-running weekend dramas simply because of the main story: it's all about family. The love-story/love-team is just a sub-plot.

Recommended:

Ugly Alert
    What's with the Family
    Yeah, that's how it is
    Ojakgyu Brothers

KatySarang_TGeyes May 9, 2017
    Reveal Spoiler »
    Josh May 9, 2017 - edited

I can give you one reason not to, Love is Drop by Drop

HappySqueak May 10, 2017

haha yes! I dropped that one. I'm Sorry Kang Nam Goo is probably the worst I invested time in. Avoid!

T0P May 12, 2017

Haha. I like ISKNG. This will probably sound super twisted, but I love to see the baddies miserable. If the villains are consistently miserable through the whole series and end up in prison by the end I'm satisfied.

ClaudiaKdramaFan May 9, 2017 - edited

Im into old daily dramas 2010-2016 no that old old, Im actually watching one with ji Chang Wook and Im loving it he is adorable, the good thing about this dramas you get to see familiar faces in longer runs which is why I love them.

shiu545 May 16, 2017

Which one? I also think Ji Chang Wook is one of the best K-actors.

Ella May 9, 2017 - edited

i felt like something is missing, then i realized that "What happens to my family?" is not on the list!

Chavs May 9, 2017

of the best drama ever... i cried so much

PrettyBrown_Eyes May 9, 2017

New Tales of a Gisaeng is sooo underrated. It's a wonderful makjang. I'm glad it's on this list!

atslipinbag May 9, 2017

nice article !
    i do like to marathon daily dramas while i wait for new episodes of my fav drama.
    i always pick up completed ones . my fav is The infamous Chill sisters which is a little old but gold. i found a liking to Park Hae Jin from this drama n has liked him ever since.

Mio May 9, 2017

Daily drama that I truly enjoyed, most of the time, was 'Angel's Revenge'. Only daily I watched after that one, was 'First Love Again'. I didn't watch all the episodes, but just watched it when I could tune in and everything that I saw, was good... story was good, actors, especially main ones, were good and I absolutely loved OST.

I plan to start a new daily with Do Ji Han soon. Hopefully it'll keep me interested.

When it comes to weekend dramas, I watched a few and I dropped many of them. XD 'Rosy Lovers' was my first (I think... LOL) and I really loved that one. 'Legendary Witch' was also very good. 'Make a Woman Cry' had so much potential, I did watch it until the very end, but I was really disappointed with this drama. 'Life is Beautiful' was really good with a nice told story about two men and their love, their families and how they all react about homosexuality, coming out... You can't see this every day in K-Dramas. :P

Six Flying Dragons wasn't on weekends, but it had 50 episodes... I watched this drama when it was airing, it was my first-ever 50-episode drama that I followed for 6 MONTHS. :D

Currently I'm running away from weekend dramas... I do always try to run away, but sometimes I just can't help it and watch one. Ofc, when I have more free-time. You definitely NEED more time for daily's and weekend dramas, especially if they ended airing... if it's good, it's hard to stop watching it, thinking about it and so on. Just so u know... just me, maybe it's not for others like that? ha? XD

ricky May 9, 2017 - edited

Although I liked a few daily dramas, sometimes there are drama endings that just make it feel like a waste of time to have watched.

HappySqueak May 9, 2017

so true, a handful I finished didn't quite have the satisfying story ending I hoped for.

HappySqueak's most recent articles...