The American Adaptation of "God's Gift - 14 Days" Has Started Airing

574790318171456800_d4bf6bd9_c2x.jpg  MV5BMjMyNjk5NTg2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjIz

Somewhere Between is an American TV show produced by ITV Studios America and Thunderbird Entertainment, currently airing on ABC. It is based on the popular 2014 Korean mystery and supernatural drama God's Gift - 14 Days, starring Lee Bo Young. She plays the role of a distressed mother who goes back in time to save her murdered daughter.

The American spin-off features Paula Patton as the mother and Aria Birch as her daughter. The husband is played by JR Bourne.

A mother tries to change the fate of her 8 year old daughter, as she knows where, when and how she's murdered, but doesn't know who kills her and why.

Somewhere Between revolves around Laura Price and her daughter. After a series of murders in the vicinity, Laura realizes that she is reliving the day in a Groundhog Day-style reset. However, she has only one chance to understand what's happening and stop the killer from hurting her.

Somewhere Between premiered on July 24 and will have 11 episodes.

Check out the trailer below:

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading!

Check out:

-> The Asian Drama Remakes of Western Shows & Films

EmpyreanConqueror Aug 11, 2017 - edited

This doesn't have the same feels as God's Gift - 14 Days, not just because this is starring a black person, no racism intended. It just doesn't feel the same.

scarleT Aug 11, 2017 - edited

I have no interest in American television or most cinema anymore. A lot of remakes, unnecessary prequels and sequels, and overall unoriginal screenwriting... HOWEVER, when it comes to BIPOC films (Black/Indigenous/Persons of Colour), THERE ARE a ton of films that fly under the radar or are widely ignored/underrated because of the ways in which whiteness and white-washing infiltrates Hollywood. The industry is racist. We have seen a lot of white imaginations, and not many from BIPOC communities on the large stage. I'm so happy to see this changing. Moonlight, Hidden Figures, Get Out, (upcoming) The Black Panther, Netflix's series Chewing Gum & films featuring racialzied and queer folks...it doesn't mater if it doesn't feel the same. I was a little turned off by the adaptation because I'm like... come on, get a big more original, but for real... the fact that people are opening up their damn blinders and are appreciating cinema from around the world (especially SK, there's also a remake of Good Doctor now too), makes me feel like these representations do matter. The fact that it is starring a black person makes me happy.

scarleT Aug 11, 2017

Update: just watched this. It looks good... so I literally don't agree with you. But... that's my opinion.

JustJackieB Aug 12, 2017

When you say "no racism intended", that implies it was intended. What difference does it make if the lead actress is black or white. I'm currently watching Somewhere Between. It has the same suspense and thrills as the original. Somewhere Between cannot use a translated verbatim script from God's Gift - 14 days. US of America culture is completely different from South Korean. So I asked you to open your mind, follow the storyline

Eunha Aug 12, 2017 - edited

True the industry is racist but at the same time I'm not going to watch a film just bc it is a BIPOC film. I think saying no racism intended has kinda become a normal add on these days bc if you don't you might get accused of being racist then too....like I don't like the black guy playing L in Netflix death note but then I might have to add the "no racism intended" bc I'm not going to spend the effort finding his actual name (plus i would soon forget it) (ya i could just leave color out but its just meant as an innocent description), for the record its not just L, don't like the white one playing Light either.

I haven't seen the Asian version so I think ill see the American one first. I think this is a story that can actually be adapted well. I mean the concept of mom saving daughter is universal.

Domi Aug 11, 2017

I hope it's going to be good! I loved the drama and I really wanted to watch it with my mum, but she isn't good with subtitles, so I'm happy to be able to watch it with her anyways. :D

(aka Ceki91)

Ceki's most recent articles...