ml's father is grandma's own flesh, so ml is related to grandma by blood
fl's father is grandma's stepson so there is no blood relation to grandma
ml and fl come from different families, different set of parents

grandma divorced her first husband for having another lover, then remarried, but did not get along with her stepson, and has been estranged from him for decades, so she lives in retirement home since she has no other family and her grandson lives abroad

fl is the only person who visit grandma regularly and has a very close bond with grandma.
ml wrote to grandma regularly over the years, but grandma has never mentioned her stepson nor his family to ml and never mentioned her past or grandson to fl, so neither the ml nor the fl ever knew each other existed. All the ml know is that grandma married into another family but he knows nothing about that family and grandma never talked about them.

But upon ml's return home and visit grandma, grandma mentioned fl to him because she knows fl works in the same company Yueda Group as her grandson who is high level, and knowing her grandson well, before he even said anything, told him to not bully her.

Is she paternal or maternal grandmother to ml?

Where did you get she didn’t get along with chenhuan’s father ? 

In an episode when Mai mom asked her husband to visit grandma for help. He said "He don't get along with her well and She married my dad and anyways CH has been taking care of her for longtime". 

Luckyforever:

Is she paternal or maternal grandmother to ml?

maternal. Otherwise Grandma would have asked Yao Ziming How's xyz? rather than How's your Dad? (I remember it is from one episode where YZ visits his Grandma)

his mother is dead i think

Ashu Singh:

Yea.. right! 

Episode 13: ML on the hospital bed

My grandfather abandoned my grandma. 

My dad abandoned my mom. 

My mom abandoned me. 

My dad is in jail

My mom had an accident on the way to find her boyfriend 

Ashu Singh:
ml's mother is grandma's own flesh

Episode 19 and we finally get clarification that ML's father is Grandma's son.

Ashu Singh:

angeliviki2022:

Episode 19 and we finally get clarification that ML's father is Grandma's son.

You actually didn't need any verification, because in China you differentiate between paternal and maternal grandmother.I

t's definitely the paternal grandma, because he calls her Nainai (奶奶) and that always refers to the paternal grandmother. Otherwise he would need call her Waipo (外婆), because that would be the right expression for the maternal grandmother. 

In China they use different expressions for aunt, uncle, grandma, grandpa etc in order to differentiate the relationship within the family. ?