So, I am currently watching a cdrama called Tomb of the Sea. 

I read that it isn't necessary to watch the previous series to understand this one. However, I am so confused with The Mystic Nine or Nine Families. I don't get any of their history, nor their motives and goals, only a little about that of the 10th Wang family, and because of it their conversations extremely bore me. I thought a lot would be explained later on but I've watched 41 out of 52 episodes now and still not much clarity. 

Can anyone explain a little bit about those families to me? I'm worried that I'll come across any spoilers if I just look it up online. Thanks!

You should check the article about Grave Robbers' Chronicles on the front page (And the related article).

I think there are also threads about the dramas, you should search either in this forum or on the dramas pages (maybe not Tomb of the sea but previous ones)

It's difficult to begin with Tomb of the sea if you have not watched the previous series.

I started the series with watching Tomb of the Sea. I pretty much understood what I needed to for the storyline. 

After finishing Tomb of the Sea, I started watching the series in order, and rewatched Tomb of the Sea. There was a better understanding of some of the non-main characters and how they relate to each other. 

SumiTheCat:

You should check the article about Grave Robbers' Chronicles on the front page (And the related article).

I think there are also threads about the dramas, you should search either in this forum or on the dramas pages (maybe not Tomb of the sea but previous ones)

It's difficult to begin with Tomb of the sea if you have not watched the previous series. 

Thank you, will do!

CheriLyn:

I started the series with watching Tomb of the Sea. I pretty much understood what I needed to for the storyline. 

After finishing Tomb of the Sea, I started watching the series in order, and rewatched Tomb of the Sea. There was a better understanding of some of the non-main characters and how they relate to each other. 

Ah, maybe I was one of the few ones who didn't. Even after I finished it I felt like I missed a lot of back story and still didn't quite get what the supporting roles meant to each other. Maybe I'll watch the whole series like you did.

iem:

Ah, maybe I was one of the few ones who didn't. Even after I finished it I felt like I missed a lot of back story and still didn't quite get what the supporting roles meant to each other. Maybe I'll watch the whole series like you did.

There's a lot of back story, even after you have watched the entire series, because it was based on a series of novels. I was on their wiki page A LOT while watching the series. XD

And also, there's still many things that haven't been revealed. 

Just beware, the different parts were produced by different companies, as different companies held filming rights to different novels/at different times, so the stories don't completely flow from one to another.