I came across this video for pan roasted natto (fast foward to 3 mins in the video). I've never heard of preparing natto like this so I figured I would share. I'm not sure how it would taste though. The only way I've been able to tolerate natto is with eggs or kimchi.

i eat soy on like a daily basis in some form or another... and natto looks and sounds utterly disgusting to me lol. i don't think i'm brave enough to try it. mochi is punded glutinous rice flour. they make desserts from it called daifuku which are puffy little balls of sweet dough filled with usually red bean jam or some other kind of filling, and you can get them in different flavours etc. plain mochi is just the dough, if you buy it prepackaged it comes in hard little pucks, when you toast or grill them they puff up and then you can do other things with them. but as soon as they cool down they go hard and chewy not very nice. apparently freshmade is a thousand times better and it sounds like it's really easy to make if you have a breadmaker you're right Kawaiko a dashi based soup would be better but i'm not sure if i can find kombu here, the one store that probably does carry it is closed sundays which is the only day i'm able to get there >.<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochi

mochi soup is a traditional meal on new year's day
i guess it appeals to me because if it's sitting in hot liquid it will stay soft and gooey, once it starts to cool and harden it is very tough and not very good
Kawaikochan wrote: It's this glutenous cakeish thing made out of rice, but nothing like what we typically call rice cakes in the US. It's a New Year's tradition, but you can buy it year round. It's actually really cool how they make it.

They start going fast at like 40 seconds in. Impressive, hehe.

I think fresh mochi has the texture of raw bread dough.

Seems like a good way to relieve stress lol...and at 40 seconds in...great way to lose fingers.
Skye-N-Rain wrote: Seems like a good way to relieve stress lol...and at 40 seconds in...great way to lose fingers.

lol seriously

Also, LF, I saw this store on a Japanese show and you may wanna check it out. I doubt they have many (if any) vegan things, but your family may be interested.

Kimuraya is an over 100 year old bakery in Ginza.

And LOOK! It's ANPAN!!!! hehe all types.
They sell other stuff too, and have various locations. It all looks so good.
mmmm i want to try anpan :)

I really want to try okonomiyaki. They make it look so yummy in the dramas!
Ooh, do you what that's made with? Edit Ah, it's a pancake like food. Is that what they made in DQ? It reminds me of something Matsuda Shota made...lol
LisNoir wrote: Ooh, do you what that's made with?

Edit Ah, it's a pancake like food. Is that what they made in DQ? It reminds me of something Matsuda Shota made...lol

Haha Yeah, it looks kinda like a pancake. I've heard people refer to it as the "Japanese Pizza" also. I've never tried it, but really wanted to after seeing it in several J-dramas like Hana Kimi 2007 and DQ.
Sleepninja wrote: Haha Yeah, it looks kinda like a pancake. I've heard people refer to it as the "Japanese Pizza" also. I've never tried it, but really wanted to after seeing it in several J-dramas like Hana Kimi 2007 and DQ.

Yeah, I remember thinking that it looked good when it was being made in DQ.
LisNoir wrote: Yeah, I remember thinking that it looked good when it was being made in DQ.

If you order it at a restaurant, you get to make it yourself. They have little grills on tables and you get to customize it and put as much of your fave ingredients on it. :)
Sleepninja wrote: If you order it at a restaurant, you get to make it yourself. They have little grills on tables and you get to customize it and put as much of your fave ingredients on it. :)

Awesome...I want one! lol
The_SkySailor wrote: ooh i want to try melon bread.

i'm vegan so i don't eat fish but there is a surprising amount of sushi i can have. a sushi restaurant opened up in our city finally (2 locations!) and it's my favourite place to eat. i've tried elsewhere out of town also and no matter where i go my favourite is Inari (little tofu pouches stuffed with rice) mmmmmmm
when we go for sushi i always order that, and usually the sakura roll which has avocado, i think cucumber also, and panko (crispy breadcrumbs) and hot sauce. the best!! and i like the yam tempura roll too. they also do this amazing mango roll that i love love love but it's so sweet. i get it last when everyone else at the table is having ice cream. since i can't have the ice cream the mango roll is my dessert lol.

i find it funny that the staff at the sushi places here are all Chinese though, and there are soooo many spelling mistakes on their menus, it cracks me up. but the food is fantastic and it's all you can eat so no complaints

AWWWW my mouth is melting...I have got so hungry from your expaliation~
I could say I am vegan too and didn´t know there were so many delicious and vegan receipes in the japanese cooking!!!:)
ladyfaile wrote:

Never really liked messy food, but heck, anything Japanese I will try :D