wah...i never tried that hiroshima style of okonomiyaki... only have tried west and east style...or maybe more famous said as osaka and tokyo style.. don't really like tokyo style, tho..
heh yeah i think my hubby would like to try it when we go to Japan, but i want to try to find a hiroshima style place, i've heard it's the best, but might be tough finding it in tokyo. i'll search online beforehand. i need to map out some vegan-friendly places and i'll also map out some fun places the rest of the family may want to try. my brother in law has his favourite places he wants to bring us to also, but we'll be there for 2 weeks hopefully so lots of time to try different stuff :D
ladyfaile wrote: heh yeah i think my hubby would like to try it when we go to Japan, but i want to try to find a hiroshima style place, i've heard it's the best, but might be tough finding it in tokyo. i'll search online beforehand. i need to map out some vegan-friendly places and i'll also map out some fun places the rest of the family may want to try. my brother in law has his favourite places he wants to bring us to also, but we'll be there for 2 weeks hopefully so lots of time to try different stuff :D

You are so lucky :P
i'm rediculously excited and anxious. a year seems really far away. but we'll be counting the months and then weeks before we know it. can't wait :D the hardest part will be getting me on the plane to go back home i think hahaha
I only recently tried Sushi, and I love it! I have been wanting to try it for quite some time, but with being vegetarian and how tricky it was with finding some without any fish in, I just kept looking but I was surprised to find it when I wasn't actually looking for it, at a trainstation shop. I also like Daifukumochi, redbean or sweet. And ofcourse the obvious.. Pocky! I haven't tried all too much, but I want to try more. Some I really want to try is Dango, Taiyaki and some of their yummy looking desserts. Oh, and Ramen!! I'd love to make up a vegetarian character bento someday too.
Sorenica wrote: Oh, and Ramen!! I'd love to make up a vegetarian character bento someday too.

Ramen is seriously, dangerously good, lol. I remember the first time I had real ramen. I thought "where have you been all my life?" lol

And just as a random aside: I've seen really cute bento supplies at World Market. Like boxes and containers and stuff, but also the cute little punch out tools and molds that would come in handy if you're trying to make a charaben
ah..i really want to try ramen.. but sadly, i don't eat pork and the real ramen use pork.. :( (ramen in my country don't contain any) T__T for bento..i've tried once from combini, and didn't like it and promise to myself i won't but any again.. ^^;
well with bento it all depends on what's in it, a bento can have any combination of items in it but yeah sorenica there are lots of vegetarian options in sushi, if you actually go to a sushi restaurant you'll have more options. my favourite is inari (little tofu pouches with rice, they're very sweet and yummy even if you're not a big tofu fan), though you have to be careful that they don't use dashi (fish broth). and sushi restaurants tend to use bonito flakes in everything so you'll want to specify right away that you don't eat fish including bonito and dashi and see what they can offer you. one of the places here is all you can eat and i always leave stuffed, there are plenty of choices. (though it's not totally authentic, most western sushi places use ingredients that Japanese sushi restaurants don't use, so in Japan I expect to have fewer options. like I don't think they use avocado but it's used a lot here) i'm kind of sad i won't be able to try proper ramen. though there is a vegan restaurant i think in shibuya where i can get some if i can drag other people there
maki sushi, omuraisu, tempura, TAKOYAKI♥
Vegetable sushi is pretty rare at a "real" sushi restaurant. At a revolving sushi place they may have more unusual (for Japan) options.

Also found this:
http://www.sushi-potager.com/en/menu/

It's little pricey, but comparable to a typical sushi place.

I also had dinner with my friend at Brown Rice Cafe the other day. They are a whole foods restaurant, and do vegetarian/vegan.

http://www.brown.co.jp/english/index.html

It's in Omotesando, and a little hard to find, but good food.

I am not a vegetarian, but my sister is, so I'm always looking for places to take her when she comes...
yeah i didn't mean IN Japan, I think I'll have a hard time finding food when I go. but anywhere I've gone here there's always been sushi rolls with just cucumber, avocado, yam, etc but like I said I don't think what we get here is really all that authentic. we do have one "real" Japanese restaurant run by Japanese people but I haven't had a chance to eat there yet since it's rather pricey ooh and i've heard of Brown Rice Cafe, hoping to go there for lunch. it's in Shibuya right?
ladyfaile wrote: ooh and i've heard of Brown Rice Cafe, hoping to go there for lunch. it's in Shibuya right?

It is technically in Shibuya-ku, but don't get off at Shibuya Station and try to find it... it's hard enough to find from Omotesando Station... To find it first you want to go to Omotesando station (on the Hanzomon, Chiyoda and Ginza Lines) then you want to completely ignore the map and directions on their website. Go to Exit A1, when you reach the top of the steps there will be a cross street in front of you, turn left onto this street, and it is a little way down on the right.

(The map on the website is correct except that what they say is exit A12 is actually A1, and when it says to turn down the street between Hanae Mori and Shu Uemura (they only mention Hanae Mori in the English version) that doesn't help because both are currently under construction, and I'm not sure they will even be the same stores when the construction is finished.....)
if we're already in shibuya shopping etc how hard would it be to find on foot from say shibuya crossing
ladyfaile wrote: heh yeah i think my hubby would like to try it when we go to Japan, but i want to try to find a hiroshima style place, i've heard it's the best, but might be tough finding it in tokyo. i'll search online beforehand. i need to map out some vegan-friendly places and i'll also map out some fun places the rest of the family may want to try. my brother in law has his favourite places he wants to bring us to also, but we'll be there for 2 weeks hopefully so lots of time to try different stuff :D

WOW you are vegan as well?? When I told my japanese sensei that I am already vegetarian she implied it would be very,very,very rare there.And kind of hard to find good places to eat.
yeah. there ARE vegetarian restaurants, but not many, and my problem is i'm going with family and i'm the only veg, so i'll have to try to make do and find enough to eat at non-veg restaurants, which will be hard.

happy cow lists vegetarian/vegan/veg-friendly restaurants around the world. check it out :)

http://www.happycow.net/asia/japan/tokyo/