Went out for omakase at RB Sushi this past Saturday. Sooo much good stuff but my favorite was probably the South African Rock Lobster dynamite, a staple of Chef Jason's menu for years.

More highlights from omakase Saturday at RB Sushi:

Hokkaido uni

Toro iwashi

Unagi

Went to a Japanese restaurant in my 'hood on Friday, Ginza Sushi. It's the most comfort food kind of place I can think of. I never order any of the convoluted sushi rolls, just regular teishoku. One thing I've gotten the last several times is their tonkatsu. I don't know why but I always get this: So simple and satisfying. True local style.

Katsu don in Yoshinoya

We hit one of our very favorite places on Saturday evening: Izakaya Danji on Beretania Street.  Weird to think of this as one of the new places on our Japanese restaurant rotation but it will be coming up on six (!) years since our first visit to this Kyushu-influenced izakaya.

Local kanpachi sashimi

Butter steamed clams

Gyoza. No other place locally makes it better, IMO

Atsuage tofu. This baked style will burn your tongue if you're not careful...

Saburo:

We hit one of our very favorite places on Saturday evening: Izakaya Danji on Beretania Street.  Weird to think of this as one of the new places on our Japanese restaurant rotation but it will be coming up on six (!) years since our first visit to this Kyushu-influenced izakaya.

Local kanpachi sashimi

Butter steamed clams

Gyoza. No other place locally makes it better, IMO

Atsuage tofu. This baked style will burn your tongue if you're not careful...

Atsuage tofu looks soo yummy

Had lunch with the office peeps on Wednesday at Restaurant Suntory in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. 

I was sooo undecided. We don't get to eat here often and I don't try to repeat myself, tempting as it is. Decided to get saba (probably the best I've ever had, including Japan) and tempura. I was considering a tempura/zaru soba set since seeing it on a  recent Bananaman Sekkaku Gourmet SP but I just could not pass up the grilled saba again.

Sashimi and miso soup

Last week: Shoyu veggie ramen at Goma Tei Ala Moana. I usually get the tan tan here -- which is hearty without being overly spicy -- but I try to get my favorite shoyu broth wherever available.

Satsuma-age (薩摩揚げ)

Friday evening at Fujiyama Texas with the office peeps. 

Fujiyama has become a pretty decent izakaya with a nice variety of nibbles. Appetizers included dashimaki tamago, cucumber, jellyfish, and a pretty good pork kakuni.

Of course this is THE place in town for kushikatsu and we got our fill, for sure.