How do your favorite dramas from this season stack up to the competition? I am curious whether the dramas that are getting high ratings in Japan are the most popular in the international market (drama addicts unite! hehe).

Check out Tokyo Hive's Ratings for this week's Prime Time Dramas:

http://www.tokyohive.com/2011/06/drama-prime-time-report-%E2%80%93-june-3rd5th/

How did yours do?
The only J-Drama I'm watching right now is Rebound, and it looks like it's doing well for itself. Much better than Muscle Girl at any rate. I don't think I've ever seen viewership ratings that low before. =/
I was watching Muscle Girl and Asuko March... In the beginning I was really excited about Asuko March, don't really know why, but I'm getting less enthusiastic about it, especially since I've watched almost all of the episodes in Japanese and I have no idea what they are saying unless they whine or insult someone.

Muscle Girl just seemed to move too fast in that 1st and only episode I've watched. And left me thinking: "O...K..."
I've watched:

Rebound 14.3% – 10.5% – 12.2% – 10.6% – 11.4% – 11.3%
Shitsuren Hoken 07.3% – 03.3% – 03.9% – 04.1% – 03.0% – 04.1% – 02.4% – 04.6% – 02.9%
Marumo no Okite 11.6% – 12.9% – 12.3% – 12.7% – 15.6% – 15.6% – 16.1%
Asuko March! 07.5% – 04.9% – 05.4% – 06.7% – 06.8%

The ratings for Rebound definitely express how I feel about it. I was excited by the story and wanted to see where it would go, but my interest has been in a steady decline. The same goes for Shitsuren Hoken and Asuko March!. However, I have loved loved loved Marumo no Okite from the beginning, and I'm glad that ratings are climbing. I think people may be turned off by the talking dog at first and think it's just a show for children, but it's a drama that people of all ages would enjoy.
Oh, wow...
Muscle Girl: 01.4% – 01.9% – 02.6% – 01.5% – 01.5% – 01.2% – 00.9%
That's not good....
Seriously, Muscle Girl's ratings look terrible. To drama addicts who are watching it: is it really that bad?
wadaa16 wrote: Oh, wow...
Muscle Girl: 01.4% – 01.9% – 02.6% – 01.5% – 01.5% – 01.2% – 00.9%
That's not good....

usually the ratings in japan are bad for good dramas :OO (tho i haven't watched it yet)
It's not very good. I'm only watching it for Hong Ki, if he wasn't in it I would've stopped watching after episode 2. It's a half hour show but should be an hour, for starters. The story in each episode is too rushed. But also, it's about female wrestling, which isn't interesting in the first place.
Caila wrote: usually the ratings in japan are bad for good dramas :OO (tho i haven't watched it yet)

Not really, mature audiences in japan doesn't watch a childish comedy drama, that explains why comedy usually got low ratings. It even worse if the comedy drama is extremely suck.
amadadeharo wrote: It's not very good. I'm only watching it for Hong Ki, if he wasn't in it I would've stopped watching after episode 2. It's a half hour show but should be an hour, for starters. The story in each episode is too rushed. But also, it's about female wrestling, which isn't interesting in the first place.

i'm not watching Muscle Girl, so I don't know if it is good or bad.
But, one of the reason why Muscle Girl got a very low ratings because the drama is aired at 00.45 a.m.
So, of course there will not be many people watching it.

URAKARA got 2%-5% ratings, and it is considered very good for a drama aired at midnight.
It aired at quarter to 1 in the morning!? How ridiculous. That does explain it though.
PinkRaspberry wrote: i'm not watching Muscle Girl, so I don't know if it is good or bad.
But, one of the reason why Muscle Girl got a very low ratings because the drama is aired at 00.45 a.m.
So, of course there will not be many people watching it.

URAKARA got 2%-5% ratings, and it is considered very good for a drama aired at midnight.

It aired at quarter to 1 in the morning!? How ridiculous. That does explain it though.
FreelryHeap wrote: Not really, mature audiences in japan doesn't watch a childish comedy drama, that explains why comedy usually got low ratings. It even worse if the comedy drama is extremely suck.

oh that explains.

But i wonder why almost every taiwanese drama has so low ratings.

For example:
Hi My Sweetheart - average rating 3.29%.
Why Why Love - average rating 3.05%

I think I haven't seen any taiwanese drama with more than average of 4-6% rating :O
phanpy wrote: oh that explains.

But i wonder why almost every taiwanese drama has so low ratings.

For example:
Hi My Sweetheart - average rating 3.29%.
Why Why Love - average rating 3.05%

I think I haven't seen any taiwanese drama with more than average of 4-6% rating :O

Yes. you're right. most taiwanese drama got very low ratings.
The highest rating in the taiwanese drama history is 10.91%, hold by Fated to Love You.

It is very low to have 10.91% for the highest in history compare to Korea (First Love,65.8%), Japan (45.3%).
The reason?
FreelryHeap wrote: Not really, mature audiences in japan doesn't watch a childish comedy drama, that explains why comedy usually got low ratings. It even worse if the comedy drama is extremely suck.

I'm not sure if being a childish comedy drama really equates to poor ratings. Marumo no Okite is a drama staring children and a talking dog, but their ratings have been quite strong, even causing execs to wonder if it will steal viewers from Jin 2.

However, i agree that the time slot may have a lot to do with it. Shitsuren Hoken, which airs at midnight, has experienced single digit ratings, peaking at 7.3% at debut. [Shima Shima is another drama in a similar time spot with similar ratings, but I haven't seen it, so I don't know anything abou it.] I wonder how dramas like Muscle Girl and Shitsuren Hoken land such dismal time slots and how the companies make money from the shows. Do they create them as cheaper, late night dramas from the beginning of production and keep costs low through out or do they look at all the dramas they have available for the season and put the weak ones at midnight+? Where do they make recoup money for "failed" dramas? Do they have syndication like they do in the US? Like maybe a drama that isn't popular because of it's time slot could gain momentum and popularity if it is reaired at an earlier time slot in the late morning or afternoon (before primetime).

BTW, these are the most recent ratings according to Tokyo Hive:
http://www.tokyohive.com/2011/06/drama-prime-time-report-%E2%80%93-june-13th16th/