The "Flavor of the Week" is "Fall Preview 2011" which made me think that we should have a thread where we can discuss everything going on this season in Jdramas :) We can also post threads to individual drama chat threads here.

What are you watching?
I am loving Sengyou Shufu Tantei~Watashi wa Shadow and Kaseifu no Mita.

I've noticed something though, adultery seems to be a major theme this season. I haven't had a chance to watch all this season's dramas, but from what I've seen and the summaries I've read, a lot of people are sneaking around and hooking upon the DL. It seems relevant in the US, but I wonder how Japanese audiences are responding. Is it groundbreaking or business as usual?

I would imagine that it would be different than American audiences because there is still a huge disparity between the amount of men and women in the workplace, especially if we consider the amount of women who are primary breadwinners. Several dramas squarely confront this issue, expressing a full range of responses from women who have sacrificed their independence for their marriages and now feel betrayed. I want to see how this will all play out...

----------
Individual Drama Thread Links
Yokai Ningen Bem
99 Days with a Star
Barairo No Seisen
Kaseifu no Mita
There's a few I wanna try out but I swore to myself 3 times already that I was never again going to watch another series while it's still airing. I seriously died 5000 times waiting for Secret Garden, 49 Days, City Hunter, Don Quxote, and Ouran eps. Thank Kami-sama I didn't start Ikemen Desu Ne before it finished airing. Someone would've had to make me comatose till it was finished.
The first drama that I watched was japanese, and afterwards I saw a lot of jdramas too but then I started watching kdramas, and although I didn't like them at first I gradually started warming up to them and now I only see kdramas. The thing between kdramas and jdramas is that while kdramas get better by the season (not all of them because I admit there are some that are very unoriginal, but there's always at least one per season that you say THIS is "the one"), jdramas standards are only getting lower. Older actors are giving way to a new generation of actors which I admit have a future, but not a present. The latest jdramas that I've seen have dissapointed me with an over-the-top sense of humor and bad special effects. I hoped that there would be at least a jdrama this season that I could say "wow this is the one" because I really enjoy more japanese culture than korean culture (and language), but haven't seen one so far. I hope that no one feels offended by this, that is not my intention, I'm just giving my point of view, and if someone can proof me wrong and show me a drama that proves that I am wrong, I would be very happy.
The one I want to watch is Kaito Royale. It has Matsuzaka Tori and Aiba Hiroki of Shinkenger. It started today but hasn't made its way to Dramacrazy. And unfortunately I can only watch it raw right. My dilemma being watch it now or wait until later.
beca256 wrote: The latest jdramas that I've seen have dissapointed me with an over-the-top sense of humor and bad special effects. I hoped that there would be at least a jdrama this season that I could say "wow this is the one" because I really enjoy more japanese culture than korean culture (and language), but haven't seen one so far. I hope that no one feels offended by this, that is not my intention, I'm just giving my point of view, and if someone can proof me wrong and show me a drama that proves that I am wrong, I would be very happy.

I'm definitely not offended. I actually had the same first impression of J Dramas. I thought they were just so cheesy and stupid. But once you get away from the more popular ones, they are actually really good. There are a couple of threads with good jdrama suggestions. Maybe you could start a thread called "J-drama suggestions for a K-drama addict" :)

Your comment about special effects is 100% true. That's what I think is the major downfall of Yookai Ningen Bem this season (Kame from Kat-tun and the little boy from Marumo no Okite are in it). Their monster costumes are just totally ridiculous, in the first episode, you can see the gloves (that are supposed to be monster hands) bend when they grabbed someone in a fight. I really like the story behind the drama, but idk if I can really take it seriously with those kinds of stupid effects.

eragon92 wrote: The one I want to watch is Kaito Royale. It has Matsuzaka Tori and Aiba Hiroki of Shinkenger. It started today but hasn't made its way to Dramacrazy. And unfortunately I can only watch it raw right. My dilemma being watch it now or wait until later.

Watch it! hehe I like watching them raw and then watching them with subs because I am studying Japanese, and because I usually can't wait to know what happened :)
Kawaikochan wrote: Your comment about special effects is 100% true. That's what I think is the major downfall of Yookai Ningen Bem this season (Kame from Kat-tun and the little boy from Marumo no Okite are in it). Their monster costumes are just totally ridiculous, in the first episode, you can see the gloves (that are supposed to be monster hands) bend when they grabbed someone in a fight. I really like the story behind the drama, but idk if I can really take it seriously with those kinds of stupid effects.

I agree with that 1OO%. Some movies such as High School Debut I had a hard time watching because of the cheesy special effects that are so fake it makes you cringe. Haha I loved the manga, so I had wanted to watch the movie, but I hate it when they make movies like that - trying to take something that might fit well in a manga and bringing it into live action. I haven't seen the anime or read the manga for Paradise Kiss yet, but one thing I loved about the movie - no cheesy special effects! I don't mind it sometimes - like in Hana Kimi [2OO7] but they go overboard in some dramas and movies and I can't stand it haha. I'd think they'd be better if it didn't include them - because it'd be a little bit more realistic.

I watched the first episode of Yookai Ningen Bem because Kame was in it - and you're completely right about the monster costumes. I like the story - it's a good story...but once they turn into these monsters it's like "why am I watching this? It's so fake!" It's why I thought it would be a kids show originally haha. I'm still going to watch it...but I'm with you - I dunno if I can take it too seriously whenever they turn monster.
Kawaikochan wrote:
Watch it! hehe I like watching them raw and then watching them with subs because I am studying Japanese, and because I usually can't wait to know what happened :)

I'm probably going to end up watching it. Not sure if today but by tomorrow I will most likely have it done.
my over all feeling about japanese dramas after a yr and half of watching dramas is that some seasons are better than others. summer season tends to have the more fun, exciting, hyped dramas. they are usually comedies or romance dramas. fall and winter tend to have more serious dramas and the casts are older it seems during those seasons. though i agree about the bad sfx i really don't even notice anymore. lol. i guess to me it comes with the territory and i put that behind me and focus on the story, characters and acting.

this fall season i have to admit i am disappointed and i can tell when a season isn't good cuz i end up watching more anime than dramas. there are 2 dramas i am interested in so far. Barairo and Watashi ga Renai Dekinai Riyuu. also when a season is good i don't even bother waiting for subs i'm watching all the dramas raw but this season i'm not even bothering. i will wait for the dramas to get half way before continuing, in the mean time i will catch up on fairy tail.
boutux wrote: this fall season i have to admit i am disappointed and i can tell when a season isn't good cuz i end up watching more anime than dramas. there are 2 dramas i am interested in so far. Barairo and Watashi ga Renai Dekinai Riyuu. also when a season is good i don't even bother waiting for subs i'm watching all the dramas raw but this season i'm not even bothering. i will wait for the dramas to get half way before continuing, in the mean time i will catch up on fairy tail.

For me, one of the reasons this season feels disappointing is because summer season was AMAZING! I had to keep telling myself when fall started to be patient. These may take a little time to warm up.

Also, if you like Barairo, you should try Sengyou Shufu Tantei. Very similar plot concept, but I like it more so far (I've only seen one episode though).
Kawaikochan wrote: For me, one of the reasons this season feels disappointing is because summer season was AMAZING!

I TOTALLY AGREE with summer season was amazing!!
but since I like 3 from 4 dramas that i've watched its 1st episode..i still not saying that this season is disappointing..
I'm watching watashi ga renai dekinai riyuu, which become my most fave jdrama this season so far...
and 11 mo iru also boku to star no 99 nichi are quite funny too...
not really enjoy nazotoki wa dinner no ato de, but i still not drop it yet..^_^
So I gave in and I've decided to watch 6 on the ongoing series -

Yokai Ningen - 2
Boku no Star 99 - 2
Hunter - 2
Sengyou Shufu Tantei - 2
Nazotoki wa dinner - 1
Kaseifu no mita - 1

I'm watching them in my own lineup so it kinda feels like I'm running my own tv station lol. I'm hoping that by watching all 6 of them at the same time I'll actually not catch up to the airing dates so as to not have to wait for the eps to air. I'm currently liking all of them, but not really hooked on any of them yet. I would really like to add 11 nin mo iru and Kaito Royale to the lineup, but the subs aren't coming out like they need to.