blabla100:

@AH

"After tormenting and infuriating XL in chapter 3, WXL hid from XL for days and then spent the next few months praying that XL would be kept so busy that he wouldn't think of WXL. But after several months, Mao Qiu showed up in WXL's room and WXL knew "his" time of avoiding XL and trying to wait for his anger to diminish was up. "

The text for this scene from chapter 4 is quite conflicting actually. I am not sure who was looking for who. 

in my opinion, WXL was missing XL. Xl did not show up for months. While other members of Hui chun clinic were happy, drinking and chatting in the hall, WXL locked himself in her room, looked at the mirror with XL recording and laughed herself. 

Therefore she called  or Miao Qiu showed up for poison matter as usual (WXL still had to make poison for XL), she wanted to meet him directly. She chose the place and run to the appointment place with happy mood. The chance that XL involved in blocking chuanzi’s wedding was very low. But she still took this as excuse to discuss business

solarlunareclipse:
Tong Hua probably didn't intentionally leave this as an Easter Egg for English-speaking readers, but who cares, I'm all for being creative and making our own Easter Eggs! We can file this under the same category of Easter Eggs as XL's wish for XY to have peace and happiness without worries sort of sounding like the English "I love you" when spoken out loud.

"安乐无忧"
"ān lèwú yōu"

Ah, good to know I wasn't the only who noticed how similar they sound! When I first saw Tan Jianci say that to Yang Zi on the LYF Hello Saturday episode, I was so sure he had said "I love you," until I saw the translation say something completely different. Let me be delulu- I'm gonna believe that this was intentional haha

song:
Ah, good to know I wasn't the only who noticed how similar they sound! When I first saw Tan Jianci say that to Yang Zi on the LYF Hello Saturday episode, I was so sure he had said "I love you," until I saw the translation say something completely different. Let me be delulu- I'm gonna believe that this was intentional haha

Haha, nice! I'll have to watch that episode :)

AH :
There's another interpretation for this statement other than WXL trying to placate XL's anger and possible revenge for the 9-eyes incident. I'll address it in a separate post some other time.
You have my curiosity. ^^

To satisfy your curiosity.... vvv

Trading Small for Big (用小换大)

Let’s explore the incident from Chapter 4 where Xiang Liu causes Wen Xiao Liu to fall out of a tree. After he incident, Xiao Liu comments that he "traded small for big." What exactly does he mean by this? First, let’s look at what led up to this encounter. A few months before, while Xiang Liu was healing from his injuries, Xiao Liu drew nine heads on Xiang Liu’s face and recorded it in his gorilla beast mirror. This was an act of deliberate provocation, so Xiao Liu ran away to give Xiang Liu some time to cool off before having to face up to his crime. However, when Xiang Liu didn’t show up to enact his revenge, Xiao Liu began to miss him.

During days when there were no patients, Xiao Liu would cover his eyes with a lotus leaf and bask in the sun, likely daydreaming of Xiang Liu. At night, Xiao Liu would stay in his room and replay the scene in his mirror of Xiang Liu glaring at him. So when Mao Qiu showed up one night, Xiao Liu took the opportunity to tell Mao Qiu he wanted to see Xiang Liu to discuss something important. This important matter was releasing San Tian Er from the prostitute house for Chuan Zi’s marriage. However, Xiao Liu already knew Xiang Liu likely wasn't involved in obstructing Tian Er's freedom because that isn’t how Xiang Liu operates.

So why did Wen Xiao Liu want to meet Xiang Liu? Xiang Liu had months to cool off from the nine heads incident, so Xiao Liu probably wasn't too afraid that Xiang Liu had some indescribably horrible retaliation planned for him. Besides, we know from their last encounter that Xiao Liu wasn’t even scared of Xiang Liu because he knew that Xiang Liu wouldn’t do him any serious harm. Xiao Liu simply wanted to see Xiang Liu because he was lonely and missed him. Now, let’s examine the encounter.

He’s here!
[Notice Xiao Liu’s excitement. SHREEEEEIK! It’s One Direction/BTS/<insert latest boy band here>!!!!]

Xiao Liu raised his head and a white condor carrying Xiang Liu dove down from the center of the moon. White hair, white robe, flying down from the sky like falling snow, he softly landed beside Xiao Liu.
[*swoon*]

Xiao Liu said “Three choices. Whip me 40 times. Kick me off from here. Or listen to me say something important. Important!”
[Lol. Xiang Liu already whipped him 40 times and goes on to perform both the other two choices.]

Xiang Liu asked “Did you bathe?”
[Xiang Liu isn’t angry at all; he's flirting with Xiao Liu! After Xiao Liu played his prank, Xiang Liu told Xiao Liu he wanted to devour him. Xiao Liu then rubbed his dirty fingers all over Xiang Liu’s mouth and told him to go ahead if he didn’t mind Xiao Liu being so dirty. We later learn from Xuan's description how sensual sucking blood from the neck can be, so Xiang Liu asking, "Did you bathe?" is akin to asking, "Do you want to make out?"]

Xiao Liu was still cheeky “Bathed super clean, just waiting for my lord to arrive.”
["Sure! Let’s make out!" Xiao Liu is flirting right back. He knows that Xiang Liu has excellent eyesight and can see perfectly well whether his neck is clean. Xiang Liu's purpose in asking, "Did you bathe?" was to ask for permission to be intimate. Xiao Liu gives Xiang Liu his consent.]

Xiang Liu’s hand grabbed Xiao Liu’s shoulder and he lowered his head. Xiao Liu docilely tipped back his neck and when Xiang Liu’s sharp fang pierced his skin and started drinking his blood, Xiao Liu didn’t close his eyes and instead looked at the moon.
[Young love. *sigh*]

Xiang Liu wasn’t holding back and Xiao Liu gradually felt lightheaded. “Are you planning to suck me dry all at once? Even if you have nine heads, I didn’t hear that you had nine stomachs! Can’t you save some for next time?”
["You're getting a little too turned on. Let's stop before we do something we might regret."]

Xiang Liu’s lips were still on Xiao Liu’s neck and was right next to the artery that led straight to the heart “When do you think I should bite down right here? Tonight?”
["Why stop? You seem to be liking this. Want to go further?" This is how demons flirt—by threatening eminent death.]

Xiao Liu immediately countered “Not tonight since it’s too pretty out. Killing me is such a mood ruining thing to do, wait for the day when I really want to kill you.”
["I'm not ready to go further. Wait until I'm ready." Xiao Liu expertly diffuses the situation.]

“You don’t want to kill me?”
["Do you like me?"]

Xiao Liu smiled “No! You clearly know I don’t want to kill you, and I won’t kill you.”
["You clearly know that I like you."]

“I don’t know. All I know is that you ought to hate me.”
["I want to hear you tell me that you like me."]

“You don’t know and you dared to come see me while still nursing your injury? You really see me as a harmless bunny rabbit? Or are your nine brains fighting with each other and now you’re stupid because none of them work?”
["Your ego's big enough. You don't need me to stroke it."]

Xiang Liu leaned in to clearly continue his meal so Xiao Liu quickly added “Because I’m lonely!” Xiang Liu’s lips pressed against his neck and didn’t move.
[There! Xiao Liu finally reveals the real reason why he wanted to see Xiang Liu tonight. He’s lonely and misses Xiang Liu. Awww...]

“No matter if you believe me or not, but I really don’t hate you at all and don’t want to kill you. Because I’m very lonely. I developed a strange tic when I was hiding in the deep mountains and went many years without encountering another person. I caught a monkey and started talking to it all day long. The monkey tried to escape and when it couldn’t it actually hit its head against the cave wall and committed suicide. Later on, I encountered a snake that wanted to eat me and almost bit off my leg. But it could understand what I was saying and reacted to whatever I said. I knew it was dangerous but I couldn’t help myself and would constantly go prance around in front of it. It was so furious it almost went insane. Having it around, it wasn’t so lonely in the mountains anymore.” Xiao Liu laughed “After some time, he discovered I was super sneaky and wanted to leave but I wouldn’t let it and kept bothering it so it kept trying to kill me.”
[Xiao Liu tells Xiang Liu that he pranced around in front of the snake, deliberately and repeatedly provoking it to alleviate his loneliness. Ironically, this is exactly what Xiao Liu is doing with Xiang Liu at that very moment.]

Xiao Liu looked up at the moon and there was an indescribable sadness in his eyes “They say the Heavens favors the tribes of the Gods, but I think it favors the humans. They are just like the Gods in every way except their lives are so short in comparison. Look at the moon, it’s been there like that for the last thousand years. No matter how beautiful a sight one will still get tired of it.
[Xiao Liu likes snatching candy from babies and raining on parades.]

Xiang Liu was silent for a moment and his hand was massaging Xiao Liu’s neck “Am I the snake to help alleviate your loneliness?”
[Bingo! Xiang Liu hit the nail on the head. The irony of the Xiao Liu's story isn't lost on him.]

Xiao Liu smiled “Who knows? Perhaps I’m the snake who is amusing you.”
[Playing dumb and groveling is Xiao Liu's forte.]

Xiang Liu released him “The important thing!”

“Does the brothel on Dong Gui street belong to you guys?”

“Why are you asking?”

“Chuan Zi wants a prostitute from there.”

“You want to ask me to help you secure her freedom?”

“Does that brothel belong to you guys?”

“Name the prostitute.”
[This line was missing from Koala’s translation, but it’s present in the original Chinese text. It’s an important line because it reveals two things: (1) Xiang Liu isn’t the one obstructing Chuan Zi’s marriage, and (2) the brothel is owned by the Shen Nong Remnant Army, which is classified information that Xiao Liu shouldn’t be aware of.]

“I guess not. It doesn’t seem like the way you operate anyways.” Xiao Liu smiled and a light glinted in his eye “No need to help me, I’ll go ask another person for help.”
[Xiao Liu’s response gives the impression that he didn’t catch onto Xiang Liu revealing classified information. He also quickly deflects Xiang Liu’s attention by saying he doesn’t want Xiang Liu’s help, knowing that this will enrage Xiang Liu. It's worth noting that Xiao Liu acknowledges he already knew obstructing Chuan Zi’s marriage wasn’t Xiang Liu’s way of operating, indicating that his main motive for arranging the meeting was to enjoy some quality time with Xiang Liu.]

The white condor Furball flew back and was circling overhead. Xiang Liu lightly leaped up and landed on the condor’s back “This was your important business?”
[Uh oh, Xiang Liu is about to fly into a jealous rage—be careful what you wish for.]

Er…..Chuan Zi’s marriage is important………..Ah——”
[Bold-faced lie! Something really important wouldn't be, "Er......important..."]

Xiao Liu’s branch suddenly snapped in half and he fell, slamming through various other branches and causing Xiao Liu to start spitting up blood. Wham, Xiao Liu finally landed on the ground as a swirl of dirt blew up around him.
[Xiang Liu enacts his revenge because (1) he's jealous, (2) he doesn't have time for Xiao Liu's BS, and (3) he might as well pay back Xiao Liu for the nine heads drawing. As for Xiao Liu, all I can say is, "Ouch…"]

Furball was so happy and circling low overhead to mock Xiao Liu. Xiang Liu stood on his back with a smile “You are the snake egg that anyone can eat.” Furball rose higher and Xiang Liu left.
[Xiang Liu nurses his pride by retorting, “You’re not that special.”]

Xiao Liu waited a few moments before slowly sitting up. His head was spinning and he couldn’t see straight and his legs hurt so much he couldn’t walk. The startled chipmunk peered out at him and Xiao Liu smiled “What’cha looking at? Looking at me being made a fool? I didn’t get to be a fool for nothing, I traded something small for something big, The next time I see that big demon he won’t be looking to wring my neck…..”
[Xiang Liu’s jealous rage caused him to overlook the fact that he revealed classified military information to Xiao Liu. Well played, Wen Xiao Liu, well played. However, this isn’t what Xiao Liu meant by “trading small for big.”]

[Xiao Liu asks Xuan for help and Xuan releases San Tian Er from the prostitute house.]

Shi Qi looked at the two people “Xuan, why?”

Xiao Liu answered “Last time I snuck into his place to eat chicken and he started being wary of me. He used Tian Er to find out who was behind me. If I asked Xiang Liu to help then that’ll create an even bigger problem down the road. Even though he doesn’t think I’m completely trustworthy, but time will show him that I really am not involved in anything. Let’s not catch a cold with them so head back.”
[This is what Xiao Liu meant by “trading small for big”: he took the hit of getting injured so Xiang Liu wouldn't get in trouble. It is also revealed here that Xiao Liu regards Xiang Liu as the person “who was behind me.” In other words, he trusts Xiang Liu and knows Xiang Liu would help him if asked. Otherwise, Xiao Liu would have said, “He used Tian Er to find out who was behind me. Ha! The joke's on him because I have no one to rely on!”]

@H19279

That's my interpretation too. The timing seems too coincidental. She was laughting at the mirror, thinking how she haven't seen XL in months, when all of a sudden Miao Qiu shows up. Yes, maybe she called him or he came for the poisons, thing is it wasn't Miao Qiu who told XY that XL wants to see her, but the other way around. When XL wanted to see XY he always came looking for her himself, I don't remember one instance where he sent Miao Qiu to send XY a message about wanting her to meet up with him or any message actually. This scene seems more similar to the scene where WXL stepped on 17's biscuit on purpose so she can give herself an excuse to help him. Something like i haven't seen XL in months, but now that Miao Qiu is here for whatever reason, I have no choice than to ask XL to meet up with me. Also, if XL was having troubles, I think XY  even more so would have expected him to come see her, since she knew her blood heals him. 

@solarlunareclipse

I agree with your analysis, that's the vibe I get from it too. Very good explaination of what XY meant by trading small for big.

As a side note, notice how XY was missing XL despite having 17, the person she said she is willing to marry, by her side. 

solarlunareclipse:
XY sat by the banks of Yao Pond, staring in a daze at the reflection of the moon in the water. Did she know that XL saved her in Yao Pond?

一轮满月,悬挂在黛色的天空,清辉静静洒下,瑶池上水波荡漾,银光点点。相柳犹如一条鱼儿般无声无息地没入瑶池,波光乍开,人影已逝,只几圈涟漪缓缓荡开。
A full moon hung in the indigo sky, casting a quiet and clear radiance. The water in Yao Pond rippled gently, with scattered silver light. Xiang Liu, like a fish, silently submerged into Yao Pond, creating ripples as his figure faded away, leaving only a few slowly dissipating circles of ripples.

— Vol 3 Ch 15 (Chapter 48)

晚上,瑶池畔。
小夭一身素净的白衣,头发松松绾起,双脚悬空,坐在水榭的栏杆上,呆呆望着碧波中倒映的一轮月影。
At night, by the banks of Yao Pond.
Xiao Yao wore a simple white robe, her hair loosely tied up, her feet dangling in the air as she sat on the railing of the waterside pavilion, staring in a daze at the reflection of a round moon in the aquamarine waves.

— Vol 3 Ch 16 (Chapter 49)

That would explain why XY asked, "Did the Royal Mother save me?" when she woke up. This type of close-ended question makes it easier for someone to go along with the story without having to make up a complicated lie. If she didn't know how she was saved, I imagine a more open-ended question like, "Who saved me?" would have been more appropriate.

Chapter 49 is very interesting. I also share your view that XY was aware that XL came to Jade Mountain to save her. When CX came to meet her, he could see that she was anxiously, impatiently waiting for someone; she kept watching the blue-green wave of the water (Yao Pond). And at night, she looked at the reflection of the moon in the water. Her image there is identical with hers during 7 days waiting by the sea near the Dragon Bone Prison. And the impression that Sir Bi got from that is also similar to what Ah Niam got when seeing XY by the sea at that time.  She did not want to meet CX. There was no news about Jing for years. The water, the moon inside the water all point to 1 name: Xiang Liu. Their relationship was cut off for ~a year, she said she did not want to see him again. But now she still looked forward to him. Did she know or even did she sense/"see" he had come, he still cared for her? 

The title of chapter 49 is “Fear that reunion is but a dream” [犹恐相逢是梦中 ] which on the surface linked to XY's emotion when seeing Jing. However, the content of the poem which consists the line is about a man coming to see his female soulmate at night when the girl was alsleep. XL's visit and recue was descibled in the previous chapter. It seems that the content of poem is what XY recalled  while she looked at the water at night. She was afraid that reunion was just a dream.

Here is my detail of chapter 49 about the subject that XY knew Xiang Liu had came to Jade Mountain: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=2853599&page=319#p2853599

liddi:
Exactly. Can someone please tell her all the money she is losing out on because she hasn't churned out those stories - heck, even another epilogue would be great. Better still, give us that LYF prequel with Xiang Liu!

I don't know, liddi. It might be a case of be careful what you wish for. What if she put out another epilogue and it ruined everything 0_0? A part of me wondered if the reason she hadn't continued with this universe was because whatever she put out might undo her carefully constructed LY's romance in LYF. I have zero interest in reading about YaoJing's descendants. NO THANK YOU :-). If it doesn't have XL, then I'm not interested :-).

A prequel would work, but would the knowledge of TL's ultimate ending make it hard for his fans to read it? *sigh* such dilemma!

liddi:
Wow. How long did you take to cover 200 pages! Would be interesting to see what was said back then - even those of us who are still here probably had different mindsets back then!

I haven't read through the entire 200 pages. I went in at page 150 and you guys were discussing the leak script and the displeasure was very apparent :-). That certainly hasn't changed. Overall, I think people's views stay fairly consistent - just a little tweak here and there in the details, but the overall thrust is pretty much the same.

liddi:
Based on the leaked script, I am afraid that LYF would suffer the same fate.

liddi:
Nonetheless, if the adaptation actually undermines the actual narrative, it is a massive issue for me. Especially if the changes are decisions that in no way are due to limitations in the actual production itself. I can understand wanting to present something different so that it is not so much a word-for-word recreation of the novel, but not to the extent of subverting the spirit and intent of the original work.

Changes to facilitate the different mediums are understandable and expected, but if the changes ruin the integrity of the source materials, and warp the characters or theme/message of the story then I don't want it. I know that one major reason that I'm not watching Season 2 is because the leaked script is heading towards this exact scenario. They've already made changes in Season 1, but so far, they have been acceptable, but that abomination that is the supposed Season 2 belongs to the trash can. It's a darn shame because I really like TJC's XL :-(

solarlunareclipse:
However, I think there is a possibility that he didn't wipe her memories of the healing. XL entered Yao Pond to save XY on Jade Mountain. The night before her Royal Mother succession ceremony, XY sat by the banks of Yao Pond, staring in a daze at the reflection of the moon in the water. Did she know that XL saved her in Yao Pond?

solarlunareclipse:
That would explain why XY asked, "Did the Royal Mother save me?" when she woke up. This type of close-ended question makes it easier for someone to go along with the story without having to make up a complicated lie. If she didn't know how she was saved, I imagine a more open-ended question like, "Who saved me?" would have been more appropriate.

@solarlunareclipse @H19279

I have a different interpretation.

The text describes Xiao Yao the morning after Xiang Liu saved her in Jade Mountain:

小夭醒来时,看到窗外阳光明媚,桃花盛开。她不知道这是哪里,却肯定地知道,自己还活着。
小夭用手捂住了眼睛,
早知连死都会这么艰难,当年无论如何,都不该把蛊种给相柳!
半晌后,小夭披衣坐起,扬声问道:“有人吗?这是哪里?”
绯红的花影中,一道白影飘忽而来,
一瞬间,小夭几乎忘记了呼吸,待看到一双碧绿的眼眸,她缓缓吐出了一口气,问道:“烈阳,我怎么会在玉山?”
“你生病了,玱玹送你来请王母救治。”
玱玹说她生病了?那就是生病吧……小夭问:“玱玹呢?”
“走了。”
小夭放下心来,问道:
“王母救了我?”
烈阳不说话,化作白色的琅鸟,飞出了庭院。
獙君走了进来,含笑道:“你的身体本就没有事,
气息虽绝,心脉未断,王母看出你可以在水中换息,把你沉入瑶池中,借了你一些玉山灵气,你就醒来了。”
小夭苦笑,必死的毒药竟然毒不死她,她和相柳的这笔交易,让她都好像有了九条命。只是,这么活着,又有何意义?

When Xiao Yao woke up, she saw the sun shining brightly outside the window and the peach blossoms blooming. She did not know where this was, but she knew with certainty that she was still alive.

Xiao Yao covered her eyes with her hands. If she had known that even dying would be so difficult, back then she should never have planted the poisonous bug in Xiang Liu, no matter what!

After some time, Xiao Yao sat up, put on her robes and called out, "Is anyone there? Where is this place?"

From the shadows of the crimson flowers, a figure in white fleeted over. For a moment, Xiao Yao almost forgot to breathe until she saw a pair of emerald eyes. She slowly exhaled, then asked, "Lie Yang, why am I on Jade Mountain?"

"You were ill so Cang Xuan brought you here to ask the Royal Mother to save and treat you."

Cang Xuan said she was ill? Then she would  stick with the story... Xiao Yao asked, "Where is Cang Xuan?"

"He had left."

Xiao Yao was relieved and asked, "Royal Mother saved me?"

Lie Yang did not answer, but transformed into a white lang bird and flew out of the courtyard.

Sir Bi walked in and said with a smile, "There was nothing wrong with your body to begin with. Although you stopped breathing, your heart meridian remained intact. The Royal Mother saw that you could breathe underwater, so she sank you into Jade Lake and imbued you with some Jade Mountain spiritual energy, thus waking you up."

Xiao Yao smiled bitterly. The fatal poison could not kill her. The deal between her and Xiang Liu meant that it was as if she too had nine lives. Except, what was the point of living like this?

-- Vol 3 Ch16  (Chapter 49)

We know that the healing was the same as the 37 years under the ocean, which means the essential blood that entered her body had to have left her in burning agony before she awoken. 

We also know that after the Plum Forest assassination, her condition was far more dire compared to her suicide now, yet she remembered every detail of the 37 years under the ocean, when she showed no sign of remembering anything from the second healing and awakening.

It is already a known fact that Xiang Liu can erase Xiao Yao's memories. We do not know how far back he can do so, but certainly, memories from a night ago was not an issue for him.

So why did Xiang Liu leave her memories intact after the 37 years, but not the second time round?

Initially, Xiang Liu did not realise that she was aware of everything that went on during those 37 years. He was only clued in to the fact during their underwater excursion after Cang Xuan's wedding, when she immediately recognised the mating song of the merpeople, and later sensed her jumbled thoughts and quickening heartbeat as she wondered whether Xiang Liu viewed the white seashell where they spent 37 years sleeping together, as their love nest, similar to the merpeople (Vol 2 Ch9 / Chapter 26).

Nonetheless, this time, armed with this knowledge added to the fact that he absolutely did not want her to know he was involved in saving her, he would have made sure to erase the memories of his presence and how he healed her with his essential blood. Hence the sealing of her consciousness after the healing, which would have also included tampering with her memories.

As such:

Xiao Yao had no idea where she was when she woke up. She only knew she was alive, and immediately realised that she was kept alive due to the Lovers bug connection. Her immediate assumption was that Xiang Liu had saved her once more like he did those 37 years, until she realised that she had mistaken Lie Yang for Xiang Liu.

Once she saw Lie Yang, she then drew the conclusion that she was on Jade Mountain, and the only one able to save her here could only be the Royal Mother, hence her question to confirm "Royal Mother saved me?" which Lie Yang refused to answer. Note that she never knew that Xiang Liu used to visit Jade Mountain regularly at Hong Jiang's behest - that was something known only to the Royal Mother and Sir Bi - so that would preclude the possibility that Xiang Liu actually came and saved her on Jade Mountain. 

Sir Bi told Xiao Yao the truth about her condition after her suicide, only omitting the part about the blood spell covered seashell - there was no breath left, but her heart meridian remained intact, which kept her alive. This was in line with what Xiao Yao already knew, that Xiang Liu must have kept her alive even though she stopped breathing. However, it did not signify that Xiang Liu was the one who finally saved and woke her up. Coupled with the fact that everything and everyone pointed to the fact that she was saved on Jade Mountain. If so, she could only accept that it was the Royal Mother who saved her (and broke the lovers bug connection) after all.

Do note that despite my belief that Xiang Liu did erase Xiao Yao's memories, and she was genuinely not aware who really saved her that night, this does not negate anything that followed after about her wait, and whom she was waiting for. 

Holding her breath when she saw a figure in white approaching until she realised she was mistaken; looking into the distance while absently plucking the peach blossom petals as if impatiently waiting for someone to arrive; staring blankly at the reflection of the moon in Jade Lake the night before the Royal Mother succession ceremony - all these still point to Xiao Yao waiting for Xiang Liu, the same way she waited for him those 7 days by the sea so many years ago. She was hoping against hope that he would come even though they had parted on such harsh words the last time they met, and just like those 7 days, she waited and hoped in vain, and he never came. 

H19279, liddi,

Thanks for sharing your detailed analyses on the Jade Mountain YaoLiu encounter. Both theories seem logically consistent, so it's really up to personal preference which one someone chooses to believe. It seems H19279's theory has a shrewd and perceptive Xiao Yao who knows XL saved her, but goes along with the story that others are telling her. On the other hand, liddi's theory has a more innocent Xiao Yao that believes Jade Mother saved her.

In liddi's theory, XY had to have her memory of the healing wiped. H19279's theory works whether XY's memory of the healing was wiped or not. If it was wiped, then she would still be able to deduce that XL saved her from all the other information she had.

liddi:
It is already a known fact that Xiang Liu can erase Xiao Yao's memories. We do not know how far back he can do so, but certainly, memories from a night ago was not an issue for him.

I don't know if XL used trick to erase her memory of their conversation about whom she was willing to marry and whom she wanted to spend life. However, in that even there were several factors that could make the person to forget or no memorize of what had happened.

1. XY drank a lot of very strong alchohol which just one sip could knock out a person. Thus she got a least half drunken

2. Xiang Liu had used witchcraft to try and see into Xiao Yao’s heart (his eye shone brighter, his voice got tender and tender). It is similar to hypnosis. Does his trick require XY to look at his eyes to make it work? In the drama, it depiched Ah Nian to look at his eyes when he induced the trick on her.

3.  Actually, it was not mentioned  in the text that she did not remember what had happened the night before. It just said she found last night was strange. 

And it is normal if someone could not remember clearly what happened when she/he was drunken, under witchcraft. And 

" Xiang Liu's palm was attached to Xiao Yao's forehead and whispered, "You will forget what happened just now, just sleep!"

might be just show his try to comfort her

Therefore, in my opinion, it was not high posibility that he erased her memory. During the 37 years, she did not know where she was taken to either (until her body was recovered to cetain extend)

And Sir Bi just speculated that he cast sleeping spell on XY hence she did not wake up by that time. That 5 minute was left blank by TH and it opens to various speculation, theory.

Last, we all agree that XY was impatiently, anxiously waiting for XL when she looked at the water of Jade Mountain and looked at the reflection of the moon in the water as similar to the last time she had been waiting for him for 7 days. However, the previous time she had a reason for the wait. She had sent him the ice crystal globe and the message. This time, she  had already cut off their relationship. What gave her hope that he would come ? Moreover, when XY figured out that XL erased the memory in her mirror, she thought that he destroyed all the memory at some point (that she did not know). And until chapter 34 (one year after the wedding robbery), that memory was still intact. She always kept the mirror in her bossom. How could she conclude that he did it if she was not aware there was moment he was around when she was unconcious. 

solarlunareclipse:
In liddi's theory, XY had to have her memory of the healing wiped. H19279's theory works whether XY's memory of the healing was wiped or not. If it was wiped, then she would still able to deduce that XL saved her from all the other information she had.

Thank you both for an interesting discussion.

It made no sense that knowing what he did, Xiang Liu would still choose not to erase her memories that night since he was already determined to keep the part he played in her healing a secret from her. Nonetheless, even with gaps in her memory, I agree Xiao Yao would have eventually figured out that it was him after all. However, I think that would have to be when she finally allowed herself to dwell on things that she was afraid of, confronting things that she refused to think about. Would she have done that with everything that happened leading up to her suicide before she took on the mantle as Royal Mother? Perhaps, but I am not as sure she would have. Would she have thought it strange that she could no longer feel his presence, even before the Royal Mother mentioned that she severed the lovers bug connection for her? Perhaps not, because most times, unless Xiang Liu chose to let her, she very rarely could feel him anyway, and they had declared that all their ties were broken the last time they met. Still, that did not stop her from hoping that he would come, in spite of everything that happened between them. She was back to her passive state by then - she would no longer try to reach out to him the way she did with the crystal globe, but she continued to wait anyway. 

H19279:
1. XY drank a lot of very strong alchohol which just one sip could knock out a person. Thus she got a least half drunken

And who could forget this iconic scene?

Xiao Yao suddenly bolted upright “We got married?”

Jing rubbed Xiao Yao’s forehead and pretended to be perplexed “I never heard that getting drunk led to memory loss.”

Xiao Yao stuttered “Last night…..last night I…..you……we…..”

Jing laughed “Last night you were passed out drunk so I let you sleep. Don’t worry, our days together are long and I’m not in a rush. What? Are you in a rush?”

-- Vol 3 Ch 18 (Chapter 51)

H19279:
3.  Actually, it was not mentioned  in the text that she did not remember what had happened the night before. It just said she found last night was strange. 

Lol, I love a good conspiracy theory. You're technically right. The text didn't technically say she couldn't remember what happened. Maybe she thought about Xiang Liu asking her the four questions for a while and couldn't figure out what was strange about it. Lol.

Chinese: 小夭醒来时,头痛欲裂。她觉得昨夜的事有点古怪,但想了半晌,想不出所以然,便放弃了。

Koala: When Xiao Yao woke up, her head felt like splitting and she sensed something strange happened last night but no matter how much she tried to remember she couldn’t figure it out so she gave up.

More precise translation: When Xiao Yao woke up, she had a splitting headache. She felt that something was strange about last night's events, but after thinking for a while, she couldn't figure out why, so she gave up.

-- Vol 2 Ch 15 (Chapter 32)

I'm a week behind so just going through and responding now :-)

H19279:
For XY, Jing and YSQ were 2 distinctive individuals but FFB and XL were just different facets of one person.

I agree with this. 

It's not just XY who made this distinction, but the person formerly known as Tushan Jing does the same. For me, Jing "died" at the hand of Hou, the beggar that WYL brought back to life is YSQ. YSQ does not want to acknowledge his past, YSQ doesn't want to reconcile his past and present. YSQ was forced to return to his former life; he was forced to become the Clan leader, he was forced to do this and that. This character's catchphrase should be "I was forced to do it" :-). In the end, YSQ dumped everything that was Jing onto TSC and ran off with XY. Another way to look at this is that TSJ wants to kill TJS and assume the mantle of YSQ forever because he knows that the person that XY is willing to consider is YSQ and not TSJ.

WYL liked the adoring puppy YSQ who followed her around all moon eyes and who promised to always listen and obey her. YSQ's former identity was a hindrance, something that was unwanted. Even their transactional pact was about YSQ, not TSJ. XY never wanted to marry TSJ, she never wanted to be the Mistress of Qing Qui and frankly, she never seriously prepared herself to carry out her role as the Mistress of Qing Qui.  She compromised because Jing was unable to fulfil his promise to her - but it was rather begrudgingly and because she didn't have better options. And in the end, she did not carry out a single day of duty as Qing Qui's Mistress. She and YSQ ran off to part unknown. 

XL has always said that FFB is him and that he has never pretended or played a role. He doesn't deny or reject either side of himself. XY fell in love with XL, and she then came to know this other side of him away from the battleground.

H19279:
After knowing FFB as XL in chapter 17, she considered FFB as another side of XL, not an indiviual apart from XL.

Even before she confirmed his identity in that scene in her bedroom; she had always instinctively known that FFB was XL.