Basically I was really confused when I started watching DT.appledog's time ep 1 because it doesn't connect with Go go squid (just finished rewatching). So after some research I've found that the series goes:

1. God's left hand 神之左手
2. Fish Playing While Trapped in a Secret Room 密室困游鱼
3. Honey Stewed Squid  蜜汁炖鱿鱼

Its a shock to find out that tong nian and Han Shang Yan aren't the main couple of this series after watching go go squid but im a bit happy because I wanted to know more about Wu Bai and Ai Qing after seeing them be so cute in go go squid (although they have changed the actress).

I still haven't found out why go go squid is about CTF and DT.appledog's time is about robots so its still a wonder for me. The fact that Appledog has her own team as well is just adding to the confusion because I thought she quit after solo had the child? 

Also I don't get how in go go squid Wu bai is the captian of a team in K&K but in DT.appledog's time he has his own team (name Team DT) without K&K and seems really close with 97 (which wasn't shown in go go squid). Im guessing because this is either book 1 or 2, its somewhere in the past but still things aren't adding up. So imma read the novel. If anyone is looking for the novel (eng) links:

1. 神之左手
2. 密室困游鱼
3. 蜜汁炖鱿鱼

*links open in a new tab*

‐---------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion made on 05/02/2021

Last edited on 05/02/2021

I am equally confused. Adding to the confusion is the change of cast. As of now, it looks like DT.appledog's time is not smoothly compatible with GGS, for whatever reason it might be. I really want to see where does events in GGS stand in DT.appledog's time. Honestly I had a little hope right after 2nd ep, where the stories might've blend in nicely. But it doesn't seem to be the case. 

Regarding the change of profession from CTF to robot combat. I think the directors have already exploited their freedom in GGS. AFAIK, in the novel the profession should've been a Competitive Gaming. But they changed it to CTF. So exploited that freedom again, thanks to the change in cast, it is robot combat now. We'll have to adjust to it.

I wouldn't go as far as not liking this alternate story line, but I do find it mildly infuriating when they talk about a different past. Correct me if I am wrong, did Solo and Appledog break up the way it's shown in one of the first few episodes? I will save my judgement until the end of the Season. Hope it goes well. Don't get me wrong, even I am pleased from an entire season on DT and Appledog's relationship. But it is just that the stories should match up with GGS.

Lastly, I would love to hear about your findings from your novel regarding these issues. It'll great as I don't have the time to read the entire novel.

I've watched the first eight episodes, and they are very confusing for those who have never read the novel before. To understand the actual timeline of events, let me first explain their original profession in the novel - competitive gaming (aka, e-sports). Team Solo won championship playing a FPS (first person shooter) game, but they're basically legends in the entire e-sports world and not only among FPS games fans (and Solo thus moved to playing other games professionally after their team broke up). After K&K and SP were established, they basically have teams for every "famous" game possible (some actual games that were featured are Dota and LoL). The team that Wu Bai leads as the leader is a fictional FPS game that's supposedly very similar to the game that Team Solo won championship for.

Based on what I've remembered, this is timeline of events:

#1: The era of Team Solo. Team Solo breaks up after getting their championship (as shown in Go Go Squid).

#2: The Singapore league. Ai Qing meets Wu Bai and forms a friendship with him (sort of). She participates in a not-very-popular solo game (Need For Speed) because she couldn't place in a popular solo game (I think it was Starcraft?). Solo (as in, her ex-boyfriend) was highly ranked in Starcraft and was there representing China too. Grunt was introduced here too as Solo's diehard-fanboy who wants to beat Solo in Starcraft. Wu Bai was in a team game (Dota, if I didn't remember wrong). SP/K&K was not established yet here. Wu Bai was still a minor here and Ai Qing was hardly 20? I believe Wu Bai simply idolises Ai Qing and holds no romantic feelings for her here yet.

#3: Ai Qing retires from e-sports. She meets Hua Ti (as shown in the drama), who has a hand injury. I forgot how she ended up signing with Team SP, but it's around this time too.

#4: Years later, Ai Qing is the coach for one of SP's FPS game team. Wu Bai leads one of the teams of K&K for the very same game. They meet again as competitors. This is also where Han Shangyan and Tong Nian meets. 

Go Go Squid actually does a pretty decent job of summarising Books 1 & 2 (that were what those flashbacks were for). I think the production team did not expect the drama to be such a huge hit, and to be making a spin-off for Books 1 & 2, else they'd probably have toned down on the backstory. I'm not sure how they're going to try to make the events/timelines work now, but that aside, many scenes have been true to the book thus far. How they're being executed, however...

Anyways, hope it helps! I may be wrong for some parts though as it has been a while since I've read the books!

1 is a prequel of sort, details solo team forming, break up and dt & appledog meeting, from when she's about 13 till 15, then timeskip to 18. 2 is the main story, details appledog joining SP as a coach and dt is active at K&K while they develop a romance, she's 25 i think. 3 is gun's romance spin-off, and overlaps in time with 2, 2 starts before 3 and ends after 3 (as will the drama judging by the update schedule's symbols) So GGS' entire esport line is basically 1&2's esport line, which is most of the novel. i think they'll do fair amount of drama original stuff for this due to that. dt is 2 and half years younger than appledog, solo and gun are about 3 or 4 years older than her. I mention their age because i spent half of God's Left Hand figuring that out LOL. The drama ages might be few years older and there might be less time between timeskip so the characters aren't too young.

dt was close with 97 in the novel, he was only a cameo in the drama so he didn't interact with the team much. I'm not up to date with the episodes and it's been a while since I read the novel though. i know for sure that appledog is much closer to this version than GGS. as for why the switch from ctf, because they originally filmed CS;GO for GGS, but it was cut when they opt to air on primetime tv (either for violence or esport, it's unclear, but all the other esport dramas are webdramas). This drama was going for tv airing, and they got it but got pulled last minute anyways, so they switched to robot fighting because it's more exciting than ctf I guess, and it's fairly new. (Like in the novel, esport was fairly new to the general public in 2011)

Ok thanks for the info everyone i think i am less confused now. I figured the change to robotics was due to it being more exciting than CTF. I mean i had to google what was CTF when GGS came out. But it is still a little jarring as i was expecting it to the same in Appledog’s time. The other thing i don’t get on the timeline is that wasn’t solo dating appledog so if appledog was only 13-15 thats pretty underage. I thought in GGS they sounded older as the solo team were living together. I mean how can the girl’s parents allow her to do that?

Lilypilly:

Ok thanks for the info everyone i think i am less confused now. I figured the change to robotics was due to it being more exciting than CTF. I mean i had to google what was CTF when GGS came out. But it is still a little jarring as i was expecting it to the same in Appledog’s time. The other thing i don’t get on the timeline is that wasn’t solo dating appledog so if appledog was only 13-15 thats pretty underage. I thought in GGS they sounded older as the solo team were living together. I mean how can the girl’s parents allow her to do that?

I think they would have chose something else if they weren't already done with production. He was like 17-19 i think, so it's little iffy but not overly so if that helps? appledog could be 14 when they got together, but it's in that range.  It's partially why they aged them up I think. In the novel, i don't think they lived together? (i could be wrong though and she could have ran away from home) she should definitely be in school though since she hasn't finished her compulsory education, and I get the impression she skipped school a fair bit. The novel gloss over the past and her family background besides Ai Jing so it's bit mysterious. The drama is filling in some gaps here, as it did in GGS (the drama showed Su Cheng's side a bit so it wasn't as out of blue and mystifying, which i'm super thankful for, since it was core part of conflict and it didn't make much sense in the novel so it was super frustrating)