This would be the  first Filipino (mainstream?) BL series. It is in the works (but too bad there's an on going pandemic so everything will be postponed) One of the actors mentioned he started watching Thai BLs particularly "Sotus" as a reference for his first gay role. Honestly, I haven't heard of any previous projects of the main leads. So, probably if this becomes successful, they must pave the way for more BL series in the country. They're quite attractive actually so I hope their profile pictures would do them justice. The poster here looks cheesy as well (though there are no official poster yet ), so I hope they could do a better one since this would be the first Filipino BL series. Anyhow, I have seen potential in many young Filipino actors so I'm sure this would make noise. 

Let me tell you this, Filipinos have been very open to the LGBTQ+ community, but not as much for the mainstream entertainment (probably would censor it a lot). Sad to say, conventional views of the religion (Christianity) still affects how the society thinks. Yes, we have gay indie movies. However, they are often expected to be erotic, depressing, dark, prostitution-related and violent at times (I get it since they get the best drama and acting from it that potentially gets international recognition). It's unlike many Thai BL dramas that shows light in the issue, tackles family and friends, acceptance and happy endings - especially for teenagers (who are coming of age) who have the most troubles about learning their sexuality and coming out.

I don't have any idea about how these first Filipino BL stories go... but  instead of showing the depressing side of BL / LGBTQ+, why not give more hope to love and to life. Also, I hope for a better quality both settings and cinematography (their profile pictures and drama poster too). I hope they show more of the Filipino culture and touristy sights.

Thanks for the awareness boost. I had no idea, Korea making a new BL series and now this. 2020 may have been horrible but there are true BL-developments happening in our world!! 

If one of the actor does use SOTUS as a reference they might be able to get some interest. But really, all they have to do is just copy the regular Thai-BL format and they're set. Get some angst, supportive friendgroup, music instrument, bit of fanservice and meaningful moments. I don't think they'll be able to reach SOTUS heights of popularity since the international BL community has high standards nowadays but it can startup the Filipino BL-genre. 

While I get that the depressing indie movies can shed light on important subjects it's usually not very popular among the BL-crowds for obvious reasons. We want romance, not violence. I'm interested in how the Filipino take on BL will be and how much they will resemble the Thai-BL's. 

Hi, first, I love teleserye, some of them are so popular in Indonesia like pangako sa'yo, marimar; BL genre I watch my husband's lover on YouTube, to be honest if compare with other tv series from Korea or Thailand these days, teleserye look old it look a like comes from 80's and 90s cinema, and you're right BL series from Philippines mostly tell story about sex and everything that in you're explanations, if teleserye want to catch millennials viewers they should change 

Philippines have a chance to kick Taiwan BL series after HIStory producer in hiatus; about censorship, I think Philippines more open than China right? Remember addicted shangyin series? While Korea can't officially produce BL series and Japanese BL series was so boring 

So, if teleserye want to produce BL series in new concept, this is your chance

Can't wait to watch good BL series in future

arifsaggio:

Hi, first, I love teleserye, some of them are so popular in Indonesia like pangako sa'yo, marimar; BL genre I watch my husband's lover on YouTube, to be honest if compare with other tv series from Korea or Thailand these days, teleserye look old it look a like comes from 80's and 90s cinema, and you're right BL series from Philippines mostly tell story about sex and everything that in you're explanations, if teleserye want to catch millennials viewers they should change 

Philippines have a chance to kick Taiwan BL series after HIStory producer in hiatus; about censorship, I think Philippines more open than China right? Remember addicted shangyin series? While Korea can't officially produce BL series and Japanese BL series was so boring 

So, if teleserye want to produce BL series in new concept, this is your chance

Can't wait to watch good BL series in future

Whenever I read ''Addicted'' I get a knife straight into my heart. The pain of cancellation has endured for all these years. Wish we could turn back time, to the 2016 days of China. 

Yeah Korea only does small productions, no big series from them. Japan does sometimes get boring with BL but you gotta admit that some parts of Ossan's Love were funny (Maki is my fav). 

I'm unaware about series outside of Japan,China,Thailand,Taiwan and Korea since those are the ones that got the most attention up till now. Also, I didn't like the MODC HIStory from Taiwan but I loved some of the other entries. 

It's interesting to know that countries such as from the neighboring Southeast Asian and African countries have shown interest in Filipino "teleseryes". I admit that many of them have good stories to tell and many of the actors/actresses are attractive and talented. So, that's why I think they have so much potential for an even better story-line and not the recycled ones. Korea has really high standards in making unique and high quality stories. That's why, not only the actors and directors get the spotlight, writers are also that popular and respected (not to mention the whole studio/company). However, it's true that the quality and the theme usually resembles 80s and 90s or even older than that. We were hugely influenced by the Spanish/Mexican/Colombian "telenovela" since they became mainstream in the past. It's because it naturally captures the majority household viewers in the country, mostly the masses but not the millenials. Young people here prefer to binge watch Netflix, YouTube, and other online streaming services. As a result, young Filipinos are one of the largest international audience/fans to Korean, Thai, Chinese and so on (also, they're actors are very attractive).

Like South Korea, possibly like China, the Philippines will likely censor or even try to ban LGBTQ+ themed series especially BLs. The ministry involved in reviewing mainstream shows here is apparently conventional and religious (that reflects the current view of the society, especially the elders). That's why, instead of going mainstream, gay-themed movies/series are often indie or in small productions. Though not directly stated, they think these themes would somehow contaminate the young minds of the youth. BLs, I think, would probably be for 19+ viewers.

Though there are mainstream shows that introduce gay characters (an improvement), they (e.g. On the Wings of Love; A Soldier's Heart) are normally in very minor roles (especially the discreet/confused gays). Feminine gays and/or trans are roles for comedic purposes (making them clowns in the show at times). Even sometimes, they're shown as aggressive and flirtatious. My Husband's Lover is a very brave move of a TV network (since they actually do not conform to such strict opposition to gay love on mainstream TV). They get really good reviews, but the Filipino society was not ready for it. Thus, it received a lot of criticism from the religious and the old.

Now, since the biggest TV network (the most mainstream) has been shut down by the government because of some legal issues of the company, the second TV network (that produced My Husband's Lover) and the third biggest (that will produce My Extra Ordinary - the first mainstream BL series in the Phils) have the biggest chance of changing how new Filipino TV series approach.

One more thing, I hope they improve on the setting of the drama (not only always in the slums as the mainstream shows). The Philippines has many urban, clean, and touristy shooting locations. Also, the camera they use are old and of low quality. CGI, if used, is like a primary school project. We have so many things to improve, but I hope this new BL series would pave the way.

@RandamUsagi I know ossan's love, haruta and maki was incredible couple from Jdorama BL series; I am so sorry about my word boring, Jdorama have a great story, what did you eat yesterday and my brother husband are example of good BL story but....they make it too serious with (apologize) an old actor which make viewers think "oh God, I could be an old gay like those character in my future" that make them unpopular; as far as I know, Mexican produce BL telenovela El corazon nunca se equivoca tells about aristotales and temo, Vietnam also produce BL series but too bad some of them doesn't have English sub make hard to watch; I love addicted, I read the novel 3 times right now, gu hai and bai luo yin is great BL Chinese series, I cannot believe government can saperate them can't involved in one project again, some fans tells the untamed was good but I can't enjoy it (probably because they only hint gay theme makes me lol I need kiss scene boys) 

@shinshinshin  I can't understand why teleserye doing remake, why they put a risk make remake difficult but popular story like my love from the star and descendents of the sun..... I watch gma's 2007 marimar it's good mixed original marimar storyline with Australia's soap opera return to eden storyline but some of remake (for me) are boring like pasion de amor, maria mercedes 

So it is tv5? Mostly teleserye in Indonesia are produce by abs cbn and gma, I never seen other production being broadcast here; when Thailand BL raises, I am thinking why Philippines not produce BL? I am quite surprise when Vietnam make BL series

Abs cbn and gma for me similar in production but sometimes gma storyline way beyond but poor in execution. 

If Philippines want to make BL series but afraid about censorship etc, sotus was great example how to make good BL. Storyline is good and less hot scenes, Kris and singto only twice kiss on this series. But please, don't remake sotus. And please don't used storyline boys interrupt on girls- boy relationship, it make a lot interpretation. Just make boy boy as main couple like sotus, 2gether

For me, except India, Asia production change a lot, Korea now become world-wide sensation and leading in series production, Thailand following with increase quality become better, China and Taiwan some good some boring while Turki (please correct me if Turkish production are in Europe not Asia) I don't know why they decline now

@arifsaggio

Thanks for your insights into the Asian BL scene. I do agree that BL from Japan usually has an older cast in comparison to other countries. The annoying thing about BL from Japan is also that translations and international releases can take up to a year to reach fans outside of Japan. Japan is coming out with a few new movie-titles lately though like ''The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese '' and ''His ''.  These movies have a younger cast so you may enjoy them more (when they finally release outside of Japan). I had already seen ''My Brothers Husband'' but I'm gonna check out the other J-BL you mentioned. 

Personally, ''The Untamed'' is what got me into BL but I can understand that from a veteran-BL point of view it's just not up to standard with modern BL. I chose to look at it like a bromance production and I always seperate the terms BL and bromance so I can judge them independently from each other. For a bromance ''The Untamed'' is pretty good but I personally love a good bromance and BL equally which is definitely not the case for everyone. 

I'm not very aware about BL outside of the K,C,J,T,T countries but I do know about the Western ones like SKAM and Élite (as a sub-plot). Interesting to hear that Vietnam and Mexico also tried something with BL. Turkish dramas can be considered as European and I think it may just be the same case as with Filipino dramas, they redo the same formula too much and don't capture the younger audiences. That's just what I think about it though. 

@RandamUsagi

If you want Vietnam's BL, try this one https://youtu.be/JxjCuRaOXW0 it called my monster in law, it telling about mom who wait his son home to brought a wife from US but instead a wife his son bring home a husband, it is comedy.... but Vietnam's BL production are way behind Thailand or Taiwan, so far there is no Vietnam's BL become trending like Thailand or Taiwan

For J BL, they lack cheesy things like Kdrama, lakorn copies that into their BL and BG series, it make them way favorable than other countries production aside Kdrama; but in lakorn they do some that can lend to rape things such as force kiss female lead or in en of love vee pretend to be bar and have sex with mark or in together with me both korn and knock drunk and have sex which make knock angry coz he doesn't realize having sex with korn; I hope Jdorama can be good again, in 90s they popular with their series like Tokyo Love Story, anything for you, ordinary people, anchor woman but they down so fast as Kdrama rise and sweep all Asian production in 2000s..... Jdorama new production Tokyo Love Story 2020 is ongoing and aired on viu same week as Japan, so I hope new Jdorama can be watch as soon as possible with international viewers like Kdrama and lakorn 

I really wish China government allow BL series, so no more bromance, sometime bromance can be read as 'I love you but I can't have you' just like winter begonia, fall in love than suddenly there is female lead ruined (sorry that my interpretation); also still don't understand why HIStory producer take hiatus, I guess because of you 2020 is come from them but they change the name (again) of production house; I am also angry when they kill yu xi gu at MODC whyyy....; I rare watching western BL, they strike to the point there is no cheesy blooming flower scene hahahaha I am so Asian, there is no flirting dialog on western, you know like 2gether tine was so shy he doesn't go strike to kiss sarawat the other hand sarawat always tease tine just like gu hai did to bai lou yin, I always remember gu hai jargon a husband who doesn't want to have sex with his wife is not a good husband, and Sarawat's if you keep looking me like that I will kiss you until you drop

@arifsaggio  

Thanks for the Vietnamese recommendation! The first episodes reminded me of the Tharntype special episode where Type goes to his parents with Tharn. 

I noticed the guys from Vietnam have their hair done VERY differently from other Asian countries I know. They have the hair cut short on the sides and combed up on the top, never seen that before but this is my first Vietnamese drama. 

What I am used to with hairstyles:

Japan often has slightly longer messy hair or very straight hair for their guys, Korea has the fluffy-styled hair with the young guys having bangs, Thai hair is similar to Korean hair but with more volume up top and less down and China kinda does a mixture of styles but usually with less volume. Anyway, just a curious observation. I get interested in details like that from time to time. 

Anyway I think you already know about this as a BL-veteran but just posting it since it's the only Vietnam BL-content I know about. 

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GuR_g75ufY 

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d6IiLmjQYg 

Jdoramas and Japanese BL:

J-BL definitely has its issues but I'm thankful that it has it's own identity and doesn't try to copy from other countries too much. Jdorama is certainly unique and doesn't have as much international appeal as Kdrama does, Japan mostly finds international succes with their animated series. I do like specific Jdoramas like those that deal with the societal pressures/psychological games since they can capture that very well. Kdrama is just much better at capturing romance and that's what most people wanna see in a drama. 

The Lakorn problem: 

This problem is so deeprooted in Thai lakorns. The violence accompanied with the lovemaking even has it's own genre-name called ''Slap&Kiss''. Most people who aren't used to lakorn can be pretty disturbed by it since it's essentially ass*ult or in the worst cases r*pe. Thai culture doesn't identify certain ass*ults as bad as long as the people end up in love together/are in a relationship. This is honestly horrible and I was shocked when I first learned about this. R*pe has also been a problem in the Chinese Danmei community with MLM relationships and writers using this as a trope to deepen the relationship instead of calling it out as a bad thing. I hope new generations of writers will refrain from using these horrible tropes. 

China and BL:

I personally didn't want to watch episodes of filler for just a few nice moments with Winter Begonia. I have this problem with most Chinese bromance stories, they do need to actively push for cute moments if they want my interest. The Untamed was an exception because I kinda loved the main actors in that one too much. MODC HIStory was a crime and you're definitely not alone in your opinion about it. Honestly at this point I just want another detective lovestory, MLM detective-detective or detective-criminal pairings are definitely my favourites (Like Trapped). 

Western BL:

Yeah Western BL is definitely not for everyone. The culture in the West with LGBT is very different and kdrama romanticism hasn't influenced that media at all. I did like SKAM France though but that's probably because I like the looks of the French guys and the language is beautiful. I do think that Western BL doesn't do the teasing as much (and to such lenghts) but they do have some flirting and shyness if you look for it. 

@RandamUsagi

No, I am not BL veteran, in fact I know about BL in August 2019....at that time I watch sotus, sotus s, addicted, what the duck, together with me, TWM the next chapter, HIStory crossing the line, love by chance, present perfect (movie), theory of love,, it's like crazy every weekend I can finish one series, start from that month I followed everything about BL including their novel on wattpad....my first ongoing (at that time) series was tharn-type, HIStory MODC, dark blue kiss and until we met again.....so I am not veteran or expert in BL, I just enjoy BL for a couple hours to erase all my problem 

Wow.... you're good about hair style, I can't think about it hahahaha just enjoying two men seeing each other with full of love........so Philippines, right know you know the formula to make great BL, compound that formula stir with your local culture and don't forget to listen viewers because some Thai producer didn't do that (I do have bad experience) 

By the way, about western BL....I watch love, Victor trailer about a minute ago and wow this good not like other western BL, I hope I can watch it..........US sometime can make good series (according to myself) right now I am watching 911 

@arifsaggio 

Oh you're still longer in the BL world than I am though. I only started at the start of 2020 with Tharntype, got me into SOTUS and the rest.

You have seen more than me though! I still need to finish What the duck and I gotta start Theory of love and even Love Sick sometime. I'm currently also watching tons of other genres though but hope to get to it sometime in the future. 

And yeah the hairstyle thing xD I don't know I just focus on the style of the guys a lot but you're right that the love-part is way more important. I think the Philippines is doing fine, time has passed and some BL series have already hit the scene and they're doing well with BL fans. But yeah they do gotta keep an open mind and see what works and what doesn't work. I checked out the  love, Victor trailer back when this convo happened and yeah I totally agree it was cute!

Thanks for adding me as a friend!

Hello sirs, @RandamUsagi

It been long time since our first talk about Filipino BL and right now some Filipino BL series comes. I love Gameboys, they have good storyline, great actor and actress also smart in filming and editing. It can be boring if we only look for someone talk only on video conference but they can bring us good plot and scenes which make us falling in love with them. Kudos for all who involved in this series.

Thank you for having me as your friend, have a nice weekend and stay safe 

Hello again @arifsaggio  

Yeah its been a while! I'm glad about the amount of upcoming Filipino BLs though. I think they have incredible potential. I share your opinion about Gameboys as it would be nice to see some more real life interaction in a BL but it was still good. 

A nice weekend to you as well friend! Stay safe and much fun watching your series!