Vya van Velaris:
I guess we can't quote a pic here. I was SO surprised to see your version of translation about "that slut Yu". I watched NIF on Youtube and their translation is very polite: "It's quite satisfying to watch Yu's great downfall".  Your version seems more satisfying to watch. LOL.

Haha, yes. It totally is.  The version I'm watching is on Viki.  I think I read in the comments that she actually said "bitch" in the original language, but the translators went with a slightly less harsh insult.  

I'm actually watching the subbed version and the English dubbed version simultaneously. The dubbed version is also more polite like the one on Youtube.  It's interesting picking up the differences.  A ton of things get lost in translation, but some things are explained a bit better.  I'll be posting on that later when we get further into the series.

Vya van Velaris:

@Misunderst0_od I really enjoy your post and the comments on the images!

Thank you! Glad you are enjoying them. :) The comments directly on the images are timed comments from other users, so I can't say they are mine.  I thought they were interesting/informative so I decided to leave them on and share.

Stayed up late last night to finish this series. Now I have to work with bleary eyes and still haven't recovered emotionally.

I wonder where Fei Liu should rank is on the Langya Martial Artists list? 

Somewhere under General Meng Zhi, I guess. Ah.. I'm gonna miss that boy. 

Has anyone watched the second season? Is it any good?

Its also fantastic. Its more about a family rather than just one person and it skips a generation. The acting is also excellent albeit with 2 weaker links.Many old characters come up or are aged and it made me wonder sadly what happened to my Fei Liu because he never comes up.

I wouldn't want to see an old version of Fei Liu. To me he's always that cute boy.

Edited: I don't know how to make that unspoilery text. Ah, I think I found it.

So, first month of group watch is almost over, what do you think about the "2 episodes per week" format?   How many of you would like to go faster?  

Poia:
  How many of you would like to go faster?  

Ummm...I want to go faster! yep .

Poia:

So, first month of group watch is almost over, what do you think about the "2 episodes per week" format?   How many of you would like to go faster?  

I couldnt wait and already finished it... During the first week. It was an accident, I swear!

mengosteen:

I couldnt wait and already finished it... During the first week. It was an accident, I swear!

Lol, It's okay meng. We can't even wait for our favourite drama and go fast. Lol, its okay.

mengosteen:

Don't worry, you are in the group only as NIF mascot, your vote doesn't count! LOL 

I'm down to go faster. It doesn't make a difference to me.  I was watching the English dubbed version with my mom (I had to lure her in somehow) and she DECIDED TO BETRAY ME by watching without me. >_< I gotta keep my reactions fresh for the Group Watch. :P

Okay episodes 7-8 (assuming you guys haven't all gone ahead and watched).

Episode 7:

1. We start off where we left off, with the assassination attempt.  During the the interrogation he frames Prince Yu as the person who is behind the assassination attempt (it's not).  I doubt FBI Lady believes him because she doesn't mention it to the others.  Another wave of assassin's kill off the captured assassin

2. Fei Liu arranging flowers. (✿◡‿◡) Yes, this is important to me.

3. House hunting with Nihuang! Of course she has to test MCS because she has suspicions about his identity.  The take a "shortcut" to the main road and pass MCS's old house.  This was heartbreaking. T-T

4. Poor Jingrui is shook to learn his dad is not as neutral as he thought. Oh boy, he's in for a long day. >_>

5. More house hunting.  Word is slowly starting to spread that MCS is househunting and there are lots of "kind souls" sending them property deeds vying for MCS's attention.  I love how Fei Liu even knows that this is not a good thing.  MCS directs Fei Lu to check out Lan Manor, which means there is something interesting about this place.

6.  Something has distracted puppy Fei Liu's attention.  It turns out it's Xia Dong (FBI Lady).  I thought she was going to visit MCS in regards to the assassination attempt against her or something about her investigation, but nope! The first thing she does when she gets back is grill MCS as part of her BFF screening.  Word is getting out that Nihuang and MCS are pretty close together.

squirrel?
friend or foe?

The one thing I loved about Fei Liu's fight with Xia Dong (FBI Lady) is that you see him use some of the same moves that General Meng used on him during their fight.  That means he is learning and picking up moves real fast! The more people that challenge him, the more he will learn.

7.  Xia Dong's encounter with the Marquis.  I love how she is blunt and straight to the point.  She knows he is really behind the assassination attempt and the connection between him the Duke Qing manor incident (plaintiff side).  She will remain silent because he brought back her husband's body 12 years ago.  She owes him no more favors. They are even.

8. House hunting at the Lan manor.  The MOST important thing about this place is that there's plenty of space for Fei Liu to fly around. ^^  They end up discovering a well full of dead bodies...7 of them (all women).  Is it a coincidence? Hmm...(No, really. I can't tell.  MCS is interested in the property, but we're not sure if this is the reason why he was interested).

9. Two new characters appear.  I'm pretty sure they are part of the Jiangzou Alliance.  For now, all I need to know is that they are team MCS...probably his hidden chess pieces.

10.  Ugh, the Marquis is up to no go good (again).  Does this guy have nothing better to do?  He tells the Crown Prince that MCS is siding with Prince Yu (and that MCS is really the mastermind behind saving Princess Nihuang from date rape).  How does he know?  Well his second son Xie Bi, who worked for Prince Yu, told him.  Anyways, this causes Crown Prince to order an assassination attempt against MCS.  Luckily, it fails because 1. Fei Liu is a badass and 2. General Meng intervenes.

Episode 8:

1.  Back to the murder investigation.  It is revealed that the person who originally owned Lan manor is a person called Zhang Jing, who is now dead.  He used it as a secret brothel.  Why are Crown Prince's people panicking?  Well one guy Lou Zhijing, is involved with 2-3 of the murder cases.  This guy is a second ranked minister (Minister of Trade).  Prince Yu refers to him as "Crown Prince's money bag".  So if this minister is going to get caught, it will hurt CP's wallet.  The guy with the record book went to Prince Yu's side so he's in a bind.

2.  Fei Lui and General Meng scenes crack me up.  Oh right, the other important part about Lan Manor is it's convenient location.

The sour guava means 'No, I don't like you.'

Meng's got it all planned out...secret tunnels for secret rendezvous.

3.  Another assassination attempt against MCS.  This scene breaks my heart again because poor Jingrui is learning his father is a monster since he ordered this attempt in his own home.  I can't imagine the guilt Jingrui is feeling because he invited MCS to the capital and his own home as a friend and honored guest so that MCS could improve his health, but instead dragged MCS into this mess.  I love how MCS tries to protect Jingrui's innocence for a little while longer, but it's time for a wake up call.  Jingrui is starting to accept reality.

Jingrui accepting reality and the reason why MCS really needs to leave.

4.  The Lan manor murder investigation comes to an end because the culprit turns himself in. Tbh, I wasn't really paying attention.  This didn't really interest me. ^^;;  I imagine it was a blow to the crown prince.  Also, Prince Jing is going to be overseeing an investigation involving Crown Prince and Prince Yu. Emperor did this on purpose because no matter the results, it's going to offend a lot of people (from either side).  Therefore, Prince Jing will take the blow (and become more unfavored) instead of the Emperor.

I can't decide if Mei Changsu was checking out the Lan Manor coincidentally or he already had some inkling about the bodies in the garden. It seems too good to be true to be a happy accident but the drama barely gives any hints on this. It is another big blow to Crown Prince though...