Disclaimer: Some users from MDL feed have decided to watch NIF together and chit chats about it. This discussion has been opened to allow us to manage the "chat" and we will remove it at the end. Please don't mind us, please don't spam the topic.
Sing-up are closed.

GROUP WATCH

Since our main idea is to have fun please approach the group with the "right" mood.

Rules:

• We chat about it on Saturday;
  • You can watch at your own pace, please state the episodes you are talking about when posting and use spoiler.  
  • Be polite and respect others opinions;

Group list:

• Meng - REWATCH
  • Kate - 2ND TRY
  • Minarii - COMPLETED
  • Poia - 2ND TRY
  • Momochan - disappeared
  • Misunderstood - REWATCH
  • Toxicbybritneyspears - COMPLETED
  • Yunewi Meng - REWATCH
  • Fatema - disappeared
  • Estell - REWATCH
  • Yoondahyeon - 3ND TRY
  • Ur mom - disappeared
  • Zero tsu - REWATCH
  • Thousand Paper Cranes - REWATCH
  • PeachBlossomgoddess - REWATCH
  • Staccie - disappeared 
  • Vayvanvalaris - COMPLETED

NIRVANA IN FIRE 

Nirvana in Fire takes place in a fictional kingdom called Da Liang (sometimes called Great Liang). The capital city is called Jinling

• Imperial Guards: in charge of protecting the emperor;
  • Xuanjing Bureau: in charge of investigating crimes around the kingdom;
  • Capital Patrols: in charge to keep order in the city;

The pugilist world/Jiangsu, is the world of Chinese martial arts experts. There are two important martial arts factions, one is Tianquan Manor lead by Zhuo Dingfeng, the other is Jiangzuo Alliance lead by Mei Changsu (ML). 

The Langya Hall is some sort of giant library archive, lead by Lin Chen who is a friend with Mei Changsu. The library stores any kind of information and sell them out for a price. 

Foreing Powers:

• Da Yu, the historical enemy of Da Liang, that it's been quiet for the past 12 years
  • Hua Kingdom, defeated and assimilated into Da Liang long time ago
  • Northern Yan
  • Southern Chu, the major threat to Da Liang, so our FL Mu Nihuang rules the southern border with her army to keep the enemy in check. 

Character Names Guide: 

[credit to this site where you can find more about each character, watch out for spoiler]

Emperor: Xiao Xuan
Grand Empress: the emperor’s grandmother
Dowager Empress: the emperor’s mother 
Grand Prince Ji: the emperor’s brother
The Crown Prince: Xiao Jingxuan
Noble Consort Yue: the Crown Prince’s mother
Empress Yan: the emperor’s wife.
Prince Yu, Xiao Jinghuan: the sixth prince
Prince Yu’s wife 
Marquis Yan, Yan Que: the empress’s brother.
Yan Yujin: the son of Marquis Yan
Concubine Jing: Mother of Prince Jing. 
Prince Jing, Xiao Jingyan:
Lin Shu, often referred to as xiao-Shu:  Grand Princess Jinyang: Lin Shu’s mother
Lin Xie: Lin Shu’s father Consort Chen, Lin YueyaoPrince Qi, Xiao Jingyu:
Consort Hui: one of emperor’s many consorts  Prince Ning, Xiao Jingting: son of consort huiGrand Princess Liyang: the emperor’s sister 
Marquis Ning, Xie Yu: commander of the Capital Patrols Xie Bi: the younger son of Xie Yu and Princess Liyang. Xiao Jingrui: Xie Bi’s elder brother 
Xie Qi: Jingrui’s younger sister  Zhuo QingyaoZhuo Dingfeng heads of Tianquan Manor
Mei Changsu: lead of Jingzuo Alliance (ML)
Fei Liu: Mei Changsu’s bodyguard Li Gang: Mei Changsu’s second-in-command 
Zhen Ping: part of the Jiangzuo Alliance Uncle ThirteenGong Yu:

art of the Jiangzuo Alliance. 

Tong LuLin Chen head of Langya Hall Mu Nihuang: heads of House of Mu in the Yunnan 
Mu Qing: Nihuang’s younger brother Meng Zhi: the commander of the Imperial Guards Lie Zhanying: Prince Jing’s second-in-command 
Qin Banruo: Prince Yu’s strategist Duke Qing: Prince Yu's supporterXia Jiang: head of the Xuanjing Bureau 
Xia Dong: officer at the Xuanjing Bureau Xia Qiu and Xia ChunGao Sheng: 
Constable Zhang 
Shen Zhui: a Ministry of Finance official
Cai Quan: a Justice Ministry official
Luo Zhijing, Minister of Finance/Revenue Qi Min, Minister of Justice: supports Prince Yu He Jingzhong, Minister of Personnel: supports Prince Yu 
Chen Yuanzhi, Minister of Rites: supports the Crown Prince. 
Li Len, Minister of Defence/Martial Affairs: supports the Crown Prince. 
Minister Liu Cheng from the Grand Secretariat 
Liu Cheng's granddaughter: Miss Liu foreign powers kingdom of Da Yu
foreign powers Warrior Baili Qi from Northern Yan
foreign powers Representative of Northern Yan
foreign powers Duke/Prince Ling, Wen Xian from Southern Chu
foreign powers Princess Nian Nian from Souther Chu

Characters Family Tree 

Watch out for spoiler, zoom in & click at your own risk. [credit to this site

Are you ready? Are you eager to start this peculiar journey?  Let’s introduce ourselves to broke the ice!

Hi, I am Poia, better known has the italian pizza lady who like to rant about dramas. Once upon a time I was mislead into watching NIF with the promise it wasn’t only political. Since I am part of this group you can guess it didn’t end up well, I dropped at ep. 8 and here is my rant review about it. 

For my 2nd chance project I promised I would give a fair chance to some dropped dramas, NIF included. So here I am! My hope is to digest better the drama with your help, since I am allergic to plotting political and flying wuxia people. 

Good luck everyone & rant you on Saturday! 

I'm Kate, the OG Cult Leader, Movie Gang Member, professional clown and amateur reviewer.

Like Poia I'm doing the 2nd chance project, and since sooner or later I would end up giving NiF that 2nd chance, I decided to join the group watch with hope that this time I will be able to finish it (I dropped it 20 episodes in lol).

I have my complains that I will probably talk about as the drama and out watch progresses hahaha

Hello, Yuwei here, and I absolutely love NiF so far and I'm so glad I finally watched it (I love political and historicals, which you probably didn't know).

Hi I'm Meng and my favourite show is Nirvana in Fire. 

This will be my 5th rewatch o7

Hello, I'm Misunderst0_od. I'm a fellow drama addict, also known for my love for cookies and cats.  This is my second time watching NiF since I am a huge fan.  At first I could not get into the drama because there are so many characters and political elements to keep track of.  I kept getting lost and confused.  By the end of the drama, I was blown away by the entire production.  I can't wait to share with you all the many things I loved about this drama.  

Revisiting NiF will be an interesting experience.  There are many things that I forgot.  There are some amazing plot twists and power moves I remember.  There are also many things I did not notice the first time that I am noticing now because I am much further into my cdrama watching career. I'm very excited to be a part of this group watch.

Hi I'm Staccie, I haven't watched NIF before and I don't think I would ever be motivated to watch it by myself so that's why I joined the group watch. I need the support as a newbie lol

My brain deactivates though every time a drama is too political so I hope it's not too hard for me to understand hehe :D

Sorry Im so late to the conversation. I was sleeping. 

If Im not active in a discussion, just assume I'm sleeping cause its my favorite hobby

I'm starting to regret naming myself "ur mom" cause its a bit awkward introducing myself like this, but here I am. Lets just say that i have a record of completing dramas in 2 days, so Im nervous about the next 8 months. I've seen yall around on mdl and i like everyone here a lot.  I have a very pressing issue where i cant bring myself to watch C-drama, probably cause i have a lengthy written lists of ones I want to watch so this watch group is very helpful.

Thank you Poia for the great idea!

Hello I'm Thousand_Paper_Cranes... and am just realising how long my username whoops so, well call me whatever you want ;) I remember starting NIF ages ago and falling in love with the FL-person, but think I got too confused and well yeah. Deciding to rewatch as I'm picking up dramas from On Hold... and because people kept mentioning it in the feed.  Sorta worried I'm going to  like it too much and binge it or end up ghosting you guys :) 

Hi, I am PeachBlossomGoddess, NIF is one of the best dramas I have ever seen I have been dying to do a full re-watch so I am so thrilled that Poia put this group together.  I remember the first time around episode 1 was very hard for me I had to watch it 2x and having a character guide the second time helped. But by episode 2 I was hooked.  There are many good guides just google but beware there could be spoilers in some of the back stories.

Hi! I'm Estelll, and I love historical dramas. 

I've already watched Nirvana in Fire, but it was almost 2 years ago, and I have a fuzzy memory. I almost never do Full rewatches of dramas (by myself), even if I loved them (as is the case with NiF), so I was thrilled to be able to join this group watch! 

While watching, I'll try to compile a full recap of said episode to share with you -- that will be particularly useful for the starting episodes, 'cause these tend to have many character introductions, etc., and they can be overwhelming for first time watchers. Of course these will also contain screenshots/gifs, my notes, my (not-so-)funny remarks, references, explanations, and personal interpretations, and it will be kept as spoiler free as possible (if there may be some mild spoilers, these will be kept hidden). I can't guarantee I'll do this for more than 3 weeks though, we'll see how it goes, and how useful boring you'll find them, lol! :D

Thanks again for allowing me to be a part of this!! Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Hello Everyone. I am yoondahyeon. I started watching Wuxia dramas last year. Whenever i search for new Wuxia dramas NIF was always showing up. So finally i did start but ended up dropping the drama at Ep8. Gave it a 2nd chance after seeing how much Meng loves but no even this time dropped it in less than 10 episodes. So this group watch is my 3rd chance. I don't even know why i am giving it so many chances. Joined the group with the hope that watching with you guys will make the journey fun and will help me from getting lost in the pile of characters and i will finally fall in love with NIF. 

Hi! I m Maria a drama addict. Long ago, in 2005, I watched Japanese Dramas and then in 2010 i got into k dramas and in 2011 i got into c dramas. When my MDL account was even not there , I saw NIF in 2015 in youtube or insta IDK but i saw short clips , and then it was so good at that time , so i saw the trailer and then I thought to see it. As Always , Nirvana In Fire , I fell in love with it, started re-watching it 5 times! And its the best drama for me. 

Since the drama is known for be "hard" to follow when it came to characters' name and plotting, as mentioned by @Estell and @PeachBlossom, I was also thinking the other day to build some characters guide under the first post and to post a recap each week of the new episodes. I am working on the character guide, for the recap I am counting on all of you, specially the expert NIF users. ;) 

Poia:
Characters Family Tree

[credit to this site]

This family tree is full of spoilers!!! But useful to consult from time to time anyway (especially for those who have watched it before), albeit a bit confusing, thanks for posting it & the character guide!!

Poia:
Grand Princess Jinyang: Lin Shu’s mother

I think that she's also the Emperor's sister, like Grand Princess Liyang, but I'm not sure (@Meng, help!) -- and I don't think that's a spoiler, but I'll hide it anyway, just in case.