SayItAintSoJoe wrote: Yes! Another Count of Monte Cristo fan. I seriously love that movie. I don't know why but I've watched it like ten times and I never get tired of it.

Although, I didn't like Avatar. IMO, it was overrated and had a cliche plot-line and a new age/naturalistic/pantheistic message that I felt was overly preached.

I went to see Avatar twice to the movie a theater and was going to go a third time and I've seen it at least 5 more since it started airing in HBO. :D

Jeanie, I liked the Shawshank Redemption.
Memento is genius! Also, Fight Club is awesome. I want to pick more than five. can I do a top 5 part 2? I like movies that have those really unexpected and genius twists. Along those lines The Sixth Sense is also an excellent film.
I'll have to think about this haha [considering I haven't really watched much non asian movies lately]
how about Prestige ms. Jeanie?
I've seen thousands of movies.. on tv.. at cinema.. so it will be difficult to choose the top 5. Many of them I don't even remember..

1. The Admiral ( Russian)
2. The last day of love, the first day of war ( Romanian)
3. White Oleander ( American)
4. Harry Potter
5. Beethoven (all movies)
jeanie65jh wrote: Memento is genius! Also, Fight Club is awesome. I want to pick more than five. can I do a top 5 part 2? I like movies that have those really unexpected and genius twists. Along those lines The Sixth Sense is also an excellent film.

Have you seen the Inside Man? It's really good like that.

bokami wrote: how about Prestige ms. Jeanie?

Yeah the prestige is really good. So is the Illusionist. I always group those two together since they were both about magicians and they came out the same year and they were both really good with surprise twist in them.
I agree Memento is an incredible story. But so is inception and so is V for Vendetta.
Hmmm so many films to choose from im gonna seperate them into eras/decades lol
BTW my criteria for choosing best films of the 80's is not necessarily the ones that i thought were truly great films (in terms of acting/writing/directing) but rather than ones i can watch & enjoy over and over again :)

1980's

1. The Terminator
2. The Breakfast Club
3. Stand By Me
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. When Harry Met Sally

Just missing out:

The Lost Boys
The Princess Bride
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Big
1990's

1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. Babe
3. Sense & Sensibility
4. The Last of the Mohicans
5. Toy Story 1 & 2

Just missing out:

Leon
Groundhog Day
The Matrix
The Usual Suspects
The Green Mile
Good Will Hunting
The Silence of the Lambs
Jurassic Park
Forrest Gump
2000's

1. Lord of the Rings trilogy
2. Inception
3. The Count of Monte Cristo
4. Before Sunset
5. Shrek

Just missing out:

The Bourne Trilogy
Pirates of the Carribean 1
X-Men series
Blood Diamond
Gladiator
Becoming Jane
Pretty clever workaround of the "Top 5" Rainflower! I should have thought of that! Top 5 by decade! What about "Say Anything" That's one of my very favorite 80's movies!
jeanie65jh wrote: Pretty clever workaround of the "Top 5" Rainflower! I should have thought of that! Top 5 by decade! What about "Say Anything" That's one of my very favorite 80's movies!

I still had too many to fit in even with the decade cheat lol

My fave John Cusack film from the 1980s is The Sure Thing damn shld hv added that in as well lol
RainFlower wrote: I still had too many to fit in even with the decade cheat lol

My fave John Cusack film from the 1980s is The Sure Thing damn shld hv added that in as well lol

That movie was funny! I loved when they were fighting and she hitched a ride with that guy and he randomly hops in the truck and starts talking like a crazy person. Loved it!
isn't that the one with the hilarious line about throwing away a perfectly good white boy? Or is that One Crazy Summer? I get them confused.
LOL, Rain...You are awesome... :P