Hello! This is my first time writing a discussion on MyDramaList, and I also usually only stay in the comment section of dramas, but I was rewatching Ossan's Love (2018) and noticed some things that I wasn't privy to when I first watched it. I watched it for the first time two-three years ago, I believe, and I was a young teen at the time (I'm 19) so I didn't see anything wrong with this drama and thought Haruta was an imbecile (he is, but not completely). 

Here is what I have found interesting in Ossan's Love:

1.  Haruta and Kurosawa is a mildly toxic relationship. Hear me out. 

Haruta is shown as a nice guy, sometimes too nice, even at the cost of his job he would rather help someone than leave them stranded (the old lady who needed directions). I adore Kurosawa's romance, and his funny eccentricity, but what I only just noticed... Is that Haruta is NOT comfortable at all with Kurosawa touching him like he does throughout the show. At first, I was like, "Haha, he's so dramatic," then I realized something. 

Haruta is tense whenever the chief touches him. When Kurosawa is rubbing Haruta's back on the rooftop, Haruta is clearly uncomfortable. He moves away, flinching, and unsure how to relax when his superior is doing such a thing. In comes Maki, someone who clearly points out that Haruta is uncomfortable with Kurosawa's advances but is afraid to voice it (which is true, Haruta only fixates on the superiority of his chief, not his age nor his gender really and he struggles to voice his discomfort). 

Now, this isn't resolved until Haruta finally gets the courage to reject him, but my ick was that Kurosawa kept going even when Haruta made it clear he doesn't have feelings for him. All because Haruta admitted to liking Maki, Kurosawa saw it as a chance to take advantage of his position. He tells Haruta to come with him on a trip for work, only to proceed to seduce him, and make him feel awkward.  (Kurosawa is definitely better in Ossan's Love Returns). Now, Haruta isn't completely innocent, he should have spoke his mind better and told Kurosawa he did not feel anything for him and never would. But keep in mind Kurosawa is his chief, a father figure he looked up to, someone he loved like family. 

And not to mention, everyone blaming him for being hesitant to say no or to speak up to his boss. Maki and Chizu included. 

Onto my second point:

2. Maki should not have kissed Haruta and then got mad at him for being oblivious to his feelings. 

Maki moved in with Haruta, and immediately finds out what a slob Haruta is. To me, that would be a no-go, a deal breaker in a roommate, but Maki liked Haruta anyway. Maki gets angry and jealous because he finds out the chief has feelings for Haruta, then he proceeds to get into the shower with Haruta (who had asked for a towel), kiss him and then leave abruptly without explaining himself. Now, the kiss didn't bug me nor did the words he said, but the aftermath pissed me off. 

Maki pretends nothing happened. He doesn't explain anything, doesn't reassure Haruta of anything. Then, he tells Haruta it was all a joke, and Haruta (a closeted bisexual unaware of his attraction to men) went along with it because how was he supposed to know that Maki actually meant it? In his mind, he wanted it to be a joke because he didn't believe he liked men. Maki gets upset and ends up arguing with the chief on the rooftop, confessing his love for Haruta. 

Haruta is stunned, and as usual oblivious, and wanted Maki to leave it alone. Maki insists that he loves Haruta, and that Kurosawa should back off. After that whole event, Haruta is hesitant to return home and goes to his friend's bar only to find Maki already there. 

They end up arguing, Maki telling Haruta he's oblivious and that it was obvious he wasn't joking (fair enough, Haruta should be more aware), and then Haruta explains he felt betrayed (not really applicable, because Maki didn't move in with that intention), and Maki says he'll move out after apologizing. Chizu then smacks Haruta across the face (her friend, and I don't condone violence no matter the gender), tells him he's selfish (yes, he is in some ways) for not taking Maki's feelings into account and taking advantage of him. That is the only part I really agree with, Maki was invited in to clean up after Haruta, and cook, and Haruta only invited him because of that. Which was wrong. 

Yet, I can't help but think that if Maki has just explained to Haruta that he seriously felt for him, Haruta might have reacted in a different, softer way, even if it was to reject him. 

3. Maki making decisions for Haruta is wrong. 

Maki and Haruta get together, he asks Haruta to be his boyfriend and Haruta agrees. Maki and Haruta have a rocky start, with Haruta being a non-PDA type boyfriend, anxious and scared to be seen with Maki. Understandable, he isn't ready just yet to be open and proud about his sexuality. Maki tells Haruta he's sorry for outing Haruta to the celebrity couple, but Haruta says he isn't embarrassed at all by being with Maki, he even tells Chizu that he likes Maki and they're together. 

Chizu soon finds out she likes Haruta. She tries to confess, but it stumped when hearing Haruta is with Maki. 

Maki meets Chizu, who asks him if she can confess to Haruta, just to get it off her chest with no ill intentions. Maki agrees, already feeling insecure and unstable in their relationship. After that, Maki meets Haruta's mother (who insists that Chizu and Haruta should just get married and have a kid), planting a seed of doubt into Maki's mind. This seed grows even more when Maki watches as Haruta hugs Chizu (just a hug, something most friends do platonically) and assumss that Haruta will want an easier life.

He breaks up with Haruta and tells him he shouldn't have loved him in the first place. Haruta begs him to stay, promising to change for the better, that he'll do anything to keep Maki with him. Maki leaves even after Haruta stays up all night, begging and pleading with Maki to stay from the other side of the door. 

Maki then completely ignored Haruta, his advances blocked, his phonecalls left unreturned and even going as far as to stay late so that Haruta wouldn't be with him alone. Maki buries himself in work and ignores Haruta's existence, then Haruta falls into Kurosawa's arms and starts to learn to clean and cook and take care of himself and his house better. 

After a year passes, Haruta is pushed into accepting Kurosawa's proposal (he should have rejected him, and I truly hate that he left Kurosawa at the alter), and it takes Haruta practically running across town and searching for Maki, begging and confessing his love to Maki, in order for the younger man to come back to him. 

Okay, that's about all lol. I just needed to rant. Keep in mind, I do not mean any hate to the drama or the characters or actors (I love them all), and I just wanted to shine some light on Haruta. He's clumsy, oblivious, annoying, and a slob, but he was not completely wrong in some of the situations he was put through. Kurosawa learns and moves on, Maki and Haruta get their happy ending. It's beautiful. Let me know what you think ❤️