I think this is happy ending for me because:

No man want to stay in woman body forever. (If you were a woman, you would not want to live in man body forever too.)

No man want to even think about getting pregnant & giving birth.

No one want to stay where there is no internet, sports, games, surfing, theme park and etc... (Modern world benefits are just way better than history world.)

It is not tragic ending where the king or queen die so I think we can overlook and give 10/10. I think this is one of the most hilarious drama per episode. Well, at least for me.

-----

It has been a month since I finished watching so I might be missing some points. I am going to re-watch later when I am about to forget so I can enjoy humors again.

You can share your own points too. I don't get it why some are disappointed with the ending.

Thanks

-------------------------

The most hilarious Dramas by per episode for me. I hope you don't miss it. :D

1. The Sound of Your heart (2016)

2. Mr. Queen (2020)

3. Eulachacha Waikiki (2018)

In the original novel Tai Zi Fei Aheng  Zhi Ji they stay together, when it was adapted to TV show the Chinese Government censored it as the Korean producer.

Ahead:

I think this is happy ending for me because:

No man want to stay in woman body forever. (If you were a woman, you would not want to live in man body forever too.)

No man want to even think about getting pregnant & giving birth.

No one want to stay were there is no internet, sports, games, surfing, theme park and etc... (Modern world benefits are just way better than history world.)

It is not tragic ending where the king or queen die so I think we can overlook and give 10/10. I think this is one of the most hilarious drama per episode. Well, at least for me.

-----

It has been a month since I finished watching so I might be missing some points. I am going to re-watch later when I am about to forget so I can enjoy the humors again.

You can share your own points too. I don't get it why some are disappointed with the ending.

I agree with you.
It was a satisfy ending for me  :)
The fact that everything went back to normal considering the changes that were made, in my opinion, made the story of the series better and more beautiful.

For me it's definitely a sad ending. 

Bong Hwan is the main character and he loses all the people he loves and cares about and he is back in the future where he seems to lead a lonely life (nobody at the hospital, he never talked or thought about someone he missed from the future etc.) 

And even if he wouldn't want to be pregnant and give birth, he still loved the baby. Must have been very hard to lose everyone like that. 

So the main character is alone in the end. That's why it doesn't seem like a happy ending to me. 

It's a sad ending for me. And it seems they forced it to be a happy ending especially with that special episodes and they made it as if the king likes the queen even from before the transmigration and the queen's character becoming similar to that of Jang Bong Hwan's. But in the last episode, the king has this line while looking at the queen's dictionary. "Did I lose something? From time to time, I feel.....". 

Cheeky Bee:

Bong Hwan is the main character and he loses all the people he loves and cares about and he is back in the future where he seems to lead a lonely life (nobody at the hospital, he never talked or thought about someone he missed from the future etc.) 

And even if he wouldn't want to be pregnant and give birth, he still loved the baby. Must have been very hard to lose everyone like that. 

So the main character is alone in the end. That's why it doesn't seem like a happy ending to me. 

Grrrey Bear:

It's a sad ending for me. And it seems they forced it to be a happy ending especially with that special episodes and they made it as if the king likes the queen even from before the transmigration and the queen's character becoming similar to that of Jang Bong Hwan's. But in the last episode, the king has this line while looking at the queen's dictionary. "Did I lose something? From time to time, I feel.....". 

Agree with you both. It was disappointing and sad for me.

Grrrey Bear:

My thoughts exactly! The return of the OG Queen spirit in her body was abrupt and not smooth at all to say the least. The build up was so good but the ending felt flat to me.. Knowing that it wasn't Bong Hwan's spirit during the interactions between the royal couple somehow made me feel weird lmao 

Cheeky Bee:

I 100% agree too. To be a bit political, it feels transphobic. Both Bong Hwan loses everyone he loved, and Cheoljong lose the person he fell in love with because, well, it seems like whoever produced this thought it was one queer thing too many, or that it erased all the queerness if Bong Hwan returned to his male body.

Think about it,  Byung In is allowed to (finally) figure out that The Queen since the lake wasn't the person he fell in love with (even though Bong Hwan has all the memories from before that time), but Cheoljong, the person who really fell in love with the person inside, won't notice (even though So Yong has the memories from that time)?

I'm sad for Bong Hwan, but I'm devastated for Cheoljong.  It will always be hard to be in a body that is not your own, especially if you have to go through something that would be as dysphoric as pregnancy, and "true love" isn't a cure for being , well, trans, but Cheoljong, just... you could feel how much he was in love with Hwan Bong in the Queens body - he was in love with the personality that manisfested because of the combination.  And that is exactly why the producers or whoever was in charge coudn't let Hwan Bong stay...

The real-life ending is incredibly sad - so I found the drama's end relatively benign by comparison. 

I agree with all the statements above saying it was a sad ending,

Why ?

Because I literally cried my eyes out, feeling horrible both for Bong Hwan and Cheoljong.

I feel like they didn't end up with the person they truly fell in love with.

SAD ENDING

Cheoljong fell in love with the Queen only because of Jang Bong Hwan's personality. Before the lake incident, the King would not even look at Kim So Yong, much less love her.  It was a one-sided love from the very beginning. The King hated So Yong because she's a part of the Kim clan. And, with Kim So Yong's personality, there's no way she could get the King to see her differently. That's exactly the reason why she jumped into the lake.

If Jang Bong Hwan's spirit did not enter Kim So Yong's body, the King would have stayed in love with his Royal Noble Consort. It was Jang Bong Hwan's character that he fell in love with.  It was Jang Bong Hwan who made the King spend time with his Queen and realize that she was the kid from the well. But learning about that truth didn't make the King love his Queen more. He was already head-over-heels in love with JANG So Yong that it didn't matter if she was the kid in the well or not. However, after Jang Bong Hwan returned to the future, all that was left for the King to love was the "shell" that Bong Hwan's spirit used to occupy.

The King obviously felt empty because "something was missing". Bong Hwan shed tears at the bookstore because the King survived. But  his facial expression tells me that they were not purely happy tears. He was sad that he had to leave the person that "Jang So Yong" learned to love.

It was bitter-sweet but satysfying for me. 

Now whenever I think about this drama I have in mind the emptiness that Cheol Jong certainly feels (he loved the personality of Bong Hwan, and as he is gone the queen is not the same) and Bong Hwan's longing for the king (he def had some sort of feeling for him). Cheol Jong doesn't know what he misses and can't fully cherish the time with Mr. Queen. Bong Hwan knows what he lost but can fully appreciate the time in Joseon. No one has everything.
Love it!

This might sound weird but who cares. I think it was a happy ending to the point that it might be the best ending possible for the whole drama. You see what was our main character Jang Bong Hwan trying to do from ep1. He wanted to return to his original body. And that happened at last. So obviously this is a happy ending. Was there a time when he admitted that he loves king? I dont think so. Was there a time where he thought its better to live in Joseon rather than going to his original self?I don't think so. When did he started kind of liking the king? It was the time when he got the memories of the Queen, he even started to think in her voice. This changed his nature temporarily as he has someone else's memory at least that's what i believe and want to believe. So it's pointless to argue that they should end up together as he wasn't completely himself when he was in the body of the Queen. This was about Jang Bong Hwan.

Now lets talk about the king. The king started liking the personality of Queen(Jang Bong Hwan). Now just think of a world where king actually meets JBH as a man, will he love him? They might become BFFs because they go well together. The reason for king to fall in love with the Queen was her odd behaviour despite being a girl and the honesty of JBH. If king knew of all the things JBH went through i am pretty sure he himself might have went through an identity crisis (or sexuality crisis whatever the term is). So it would be very wrong for both of them to end up together. This is what i think.

Also i think JBH is too good for the king. JBH deserves a better partner. Someone who is as honest as him.

Exactly! I can't quote your post, but I agree completely. JBH and the king had a complete bromance thing going but when JBH started to talk with the queen's voice she was there too (remember what her creepy cousin said 'if you have her memories then So-yong is still inside you'). So most of the time it was really 1 body, 2 souls JBH thought it was just her memories but it wasnt. The king fell in love with a combo of both of them and whenever they had more romantic moments So-yong was definitely in charge, that's why JBH was so conflicted afterwards. 

And in the end the queen also changed to a stronger JBH type (stabbing the villain with her pin, hiding her pain from the king, swearing in her quarters and lifting her skirts). And JBH became kinder like So-yong. 

People talk about the King saying he 'misses something' at the end but if you notice he is touching the Queen's dictionary. He was missing JBH way of speaking, but him and the queen seemed happy enough together. That is why he asked her about her formal speech. That is what he was missing not JBH. 

@patricia

Wow you are reaching. So yong was never conscious in that body. Otherwise when Jang bowan got sent briefly to his body then So yong would have taken over but the body was unconscious and even dying after Jang bowan's soul left it. It only revived when he returned. There is no two soul one body and no real explanation for how So yong came back or where she has been all this time. Jang bowan started thinking with her voice because he got used to speaking with her voice so overtime his thinking voice started to sound like his speaking voice.

He developed feelings for the king as seen when he tried to think that even if he wasn't in So yong's body he would still like to do sexy stuff with the king. It was solely Bowan in that body and what softened him was being in a woman's body and love. He finally knew what love is and that changed him. 

There was no sense in so yong suddenly having similar character as The real Mr queen when she has been unconscious up until the end. In fact the only thing at play with her is that she was somehow aware of the fact that Bowan was in her the whole time. Even that was weird and didn't really add up as stated before. There was no time where she actually came to the forefront if she had been conscious. 

Anyway the fact is the end was just okay and could have been better but I guess those writing just couldn't come with something that wouldn't step on some toes. It wasn't happy for me but it wasn't sad either. It was just okay.