I would actually like to say a word about the Kawee/ Narin relationship dynamic, and this contains spoilers.

Some people are rather indignant at what they feel is a wrong message the show is sending in having a victim of rape/ abuse fall in love with her rapist/ abuser. I personally do not agree with this because I have a completely different view of the message the show is sending entirely.

My take on having seen this drama is that Narin never loved Kawee at all during the entire time she was abused. She was really traumatised by it and, in her own words to Kawee, feared him and hated him for what he did. However, I think that there is an element of empathy for him in the midst of all that fear and hate because she was aware of his weakness regarding his father and hence when his father died, she empathised with his loss. My take is that she only started to love Kawee during the time when Kawee was trying so hard to atone for his sins and worked so hard to show her that he was a changed person. 

And I think the drama did send this message across loud and clear by having Narin clearly inform Kawee of how much she feared and hated him after he found her at the riverside house, before Kawee embarked on his de-meaning, atoning work for her. It was his humble and persistently caring efforts despite all her re-buffs and cold treatment that eventually moved her, I believe, and caused her to see that he could actually be a loving and reliable man.

For Kawee, however, I believe that he fell in love with Narin much earlier, probably during the kidnap period. He came across intrigued and provoked by Narin when he first met her, because she was initially not afraid nor in awe of him and did not hesitate to challenge him. This incited his interest but I think it was during the kidnap and rape incident and when he saw how much she wept and how heart-broken she was that he was probably moved for the first time and felt the weight of his actions. 

He tried to express some of it in his clumsy and brute fashion by occasional acts of care and tenderness to Narin during the kidnap, but because his primary language is intimidation and violence, he was not able to get his message across at all and instead received more of Narin's rejections and hate, which, in turn, caused him to revert back to type and lashing out as a response. 

But his feelings grew despite all that, leading him to resort to emotional blackmail after the kidnap so that he could spend more time with her. His father confronting him about Narin probably gave him an insight that his methods of associating and relating with Narin was actually not helping his cause at all but was really hurting her, and unfortunately before Kawee could really do something about it, his father died and Narin ran away.

It was really his one-sided love for Narin that actually gave Kawee the impetus and the motivation to change and transform himself into a man acceptable to her, and to try and win her heart. So, to me, it was really a case of the abuser actually falling for his victim and, because of that love, caused him to make a decision to change his ways and sought to become a man who could win her heart.

I believe THIS is the message the show is trying to tell us - not about victims falling in love with abusers, but the scenario is actually the other way round. And it is about how that power of love can be the catalyst and the instrument for changing a twisted, messed-up person into someone truly human again. 

I have never understood Why ’slap and kiss’ genre is so popular in Thailand... makes me feel uncomfortable to watch them... I never finished Sawan Biang (but for some reason I was able to finish Jam Leuy Ruk)... However , I adore Ken and Anne’s other  lakorn ’Sood Sanae Ha’ ^ ^ 

Anyways, Its nice you can see it other way around , but I will never understand why Narin fell for Kawee, he was TOO cruel to her. But shes an saint so...poor Narin, I felt so sorry for her =( 

Well I do agree with your view but I feel that this is the case in most slap and kiss lakorns  where the ML falls for the FL while abusing her /taking revenge on her due to her innocence , ability to bear being tortured, fearlessness etc. But still sawan biang was too extreme imo. I mean whatever the reason is rape is wrong . So that's why many viewers could not digest the love story . 

I'm not really here to moralise about the rights and wrongs of the behaviour of the people in 'Sawan Biang', and I'm not saying that Kawee's behaviour to Narin in the first three-quarters of the show was right or acceptable. In fact, a lot of the behaviours of the people in this show are all of a twisted, selfish sort but, unfortunately, also too close to real-life to be dismissed. Which is probably why this show is such a divisive show amongst viewers. Its subject matter is very emotionally provoking.

However, I think what a lot of viewers may not understand (because they get too clouded and upset by the content), is that there are some things that the show is not, and some things that the show is.

What the show is NOT showing:-

1) Depiction of Stockholm Syndrome - as mentioned, the show makes it clear that Narin did not fall in love with Kawee during her kidnap period and even after. In fact, she had zero positive feelings for Kawee afterwards. She was constantly trying to avoid him, constantly trying to run away from him. She was scared of him and hated him. And she told him so to his face.

2) Romanticising rape - this show does not romanticise rape. There is no 'he raped her because he loved her' scenario. Narin was a tool Kawee used to vent his anger, his desire for revenge, his need to assert control and power over, maybe even his lust. But there was no love in it. 

In addition, the show clearly showed us the after-effects of Kawee's abuse and it's not coloured in any positive light whatsoever. Narin becomes silent and withdrawn. Her face is always serious and solemn. Her family and friends are worried. Kawee's dad confronts him and calls him out on his bad behaviour. Nobody in this show is saying that it's a good thing. Everyone's upset by it.

What this show IS showing:-

1) The abuser is the one who gets broken - he's the one who breaks first. He's the one who realises that his bad behaviour was destructive, hateful and unforgivable. He's the one who is sorry and decides to change for the better. He's the one who gives up everything he has in the end to prove his sincerity. 

2) The abuser is the one who tries to redeem himself - he takes active steps to make up for his bad behaviour. He humbles himself. He persistently does demeaning and menial things to show that he is working on removing his arrogance and pride. Some people might say that what he did was not good enough to earn redemption but the point is that he IS TRYING, and that he KEEPS ON TRYING. You've got to at least give him a bit of credit for that.

3) The abuser is the one who begs for forgiveness - he gets down on his knees in tears. He knows he is wrong. He knows he has no right to be forgiven. But he humbly asks for it anyway. 

4) The victim is the one with the power in the end - she is the one who holds the power to decide if she wants to forgive him and give him a chance. She is not being forced against her will. In fact, she is the one who has every material thing in the end, while he had nothing, not even a penny to his name.

5) The victim is the one who chooses to forgive and give a second chance AFTER she saw that Kawee had changed, maybe for real because it's not a change of the moment. Kawee worked very hard day-after-day for months to try and prove to her that he was a changed man. It is undeniable to even the viewer that the Kawee in the last one-quarter of the show and the Kawee in the first three-quarters of the show are very different people. 

Some people might say that Narin should never forgive Kawee or give him a second chance. Well, that's up to the person to decide isn't it? But you know what? Not everybody holds onto anger and resentment and unforgiveness until the day they die. No. Some people choose to forgive the unforgiveable, and some people choose to willingly give others a second chance at life. Is that right or wrong? Who can say. 

At the end of the day, I think this show is at least trying to say: "There are people out there who do bad things but some of them eventually learn that it's wrong and try to change. Let's be the bigger people out there and give them a second chance."

good write up MusicalVeggies.

Thanks for putting this into words. I'm not at all that eloquent but I really agree with the points you've made.
And Ken and Anne's acting was amazing.  

Like your analysis. I liked this show when I saw it years ago and had no idea why, given the content.

i really like slap/kiss genre but i'm not supporter of abusive relation i know my statement is completely contrary cause i thought 

when two people are in love and not accepting their feelings for each other for some reason (ego or misunderstanding) then their feelings convert in action (slap/kiss/kidnapping etc..) and they are still tight lipped for me which is right

in abusive relation their is no feelings or love

here  are two dramas which i dropped or skipped some episodes cause i found it abusive no love for each other from start to end , their is compromise sympathy but no love

swann biang

sealed with a kiss

I agree with everything you said about Sawan Biang. Abuser falling for his victim...wow!

This was so well written I wish I could give it a thousand likes. It echos my understanding of their relationship as well; you put my incoherent thoughts into words. Thanks, MusicalVeggies.

This is so well depicted that you should probably put it in your review and then that review would definitely surpass the "helpful" number of others and would (and should) be on display for everyone who opens the page of this drama, instead of Jeana or Kalahara.