According to Barahona-Corrêa JB, Filipe CN. A Concise History of Asperger Syndrome: The Short Reign of a Troublesome Diagnosis. Front Psychol. 2016 Jan 25;6:2024. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.02024. PMID: 26834663; PMCID: PMC4725185.

The entry of autism and Asperger syndrome (AS) into the history of psychopathology was marked by extraordinary coincidences. Both disorders were first described by Kanner (1943) and Asperger (1944), respectively. Both were Austrian-born physicians and, though unaware of each other’s writings, both used the term “autistic” to describe a unique group of children who shared features of impaired social interaction and restricted, repetitive behaviors and interests. ~ https://doi.org/10.3389%2Ffpsyg.2015.02024

(emphasis mine)

According to Hosseini SA, Molla M. Asperger Syndrome. 2022 May 2. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan–. PMID: 32491480.

Asperger syndrome (AS) was first described by Hans Asperger in 1944, as the behavioral characterization of individuals who have difficulties in communication and social interaction. Since then, AS has always been a topic of significant interest and debate. Although AS was introduced as a discrete diagnostic category in the fourth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-4, 1994), almost 20 years later, its diagnostic label was removed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM–5), and it was encompassed in a more general category of autism spectrum disorders (ASD). According to the DSM-5, there are varying degrees of ASD that are categorized based on the severity of symptoms and the required levels of support, and what was formerly called Asperger syndrome shall now be regarded as ASD. ~ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32491480/

(emphasis mine)

According to PsychCentral "Asperger’s vs. Autism: What Exactly Is the Difference?" ( https://psychcentral.com/autism/aspergers-vs-autism-whats-the-difference )

Asperger’s syndrome (aka Asperger’s disorder or simply “Asperger’s”) was used as a diagnosis from 1994 to 2013.

(emphasis mine)

According to the National Autistic Society "Asperger syndrome and other terms" ( https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/what-is-autism/asperger-syndrome )

Autism is a spectrum condition. All autistic people share certain difficulties, but being autistic will affect them in different ways. Some people with Asperger syndrome also have mental health issues or other conditions, meaning people need different levels and types of support. People with Asperger syndrome see, hear and feel the world differently to other people. If you have Asperger syndrome, you have it for life – it is not an illness or disease and cannot be ‘cured’. Often people feel that Asperger syndrome is a fundamental aspect of their identity.

People with Asperger syndrome don't have the learning disabilities that many autistic people have, but they may have specific learning difficulties. They may have fewer problems with speech but may still have difficulties with understanding and processing language.

(emphasis mine)

According to AngelSense "Asperger’s Syndrome vs. High-Functioning Autism: Understanding the Difference" ( https://www.angelsense.com/blog/aspergers-vs-high-functioning-autism-understand-the-difference/ )

High-Functioning Autism specifically applies to children with autism who have an IQ of 70 or higher and exhibit milder symptoms. For example, these children exhibit fewer language delays, few to no cognitive deficits, and better spatial skills. The most significant difference for children with High-Functioning Autism is that they do not have intellectual disabilities.

Asperger’s Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism do have some significant differences. Knowing the differences can help you better attend to your child’s needs.

(emphasis mine)

According to NHS "What is autism?" ( https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/autism/what-is-autism/ )

Being autistic does not mean you have an illness or disease. It means your brain works in a different way from other people.

If you're autistic, you're autistic your whole life.

Autism is not a medical condition with treatments or a "cure". But some people need support to help them with certain things.

Autism is a spectrum. This means everybody with autism is different.

Some autistic people need little or no support. Others may need help from a parent or carer every day.

(emphasis mine)

Be sure to read the links for more information because I had to hand-pick what I personally think and observed to be the most common misconceptions about autism. There are far more about autism than what I picked and emphasized above.

For all you know, you or a family member is also on the autism spectrum. As I've said in other threads, each autistic trait have varying degrees of 'effect' (or 'severity' if you prefer that term); and there are common traits (which most autistics have) as well as uncommon traits (still considered an autistic trait but observed in probably less than half of autistics). If you're suspecting you are or a family member may be autistic, get an official diagnosis. It does not matter if you are already an adult, a psychologist expert in autism spectrum can give a good diagnosis even if you are an adult already. (And if there are benefits in your country for autism, like a simple special lane at the supermarket, that's good.)

All we are asking is for neurotypicals to treat us a human beings. We may think differently than you. We may act differently than you. But we are still human beings like you. Remember, the world and society was built to cater for neurotypicals, not for us. We do experience a lot of difficulties navigating the world and society of neurotypicals, most of us are just good in hiding it (but in private groups, we do complain a lot).

Thank you.

Very informative. Thank you for taking time to write this and your other entries. Hope to see more from you :)

fawne:

As a psychology student, I appreciate you sharing those articles because they contain new information that had not been covered in my past courses yet. We used the DSM-4 and will switch over to the DSM-5 next semester, so it was nice to get a small preview of what changed between versions. :) 

I agree. Sensitivity and understanding are a must when neurotypicals are interacting with neurodivergent individuals. Thank you for sharing. 

It was also controversial.

I forgot to include, in ICD-11, it's all "autism spectrum" too. They dropped the sub-types as well.

Here in the Philippines, even before DSM-5 and ICD-11, Asperger's Syndrome was already considered part of Autism Spectrum before "autism spectrum" became 'official'. If an aspie wants to get a PWD ID (person-with-disability), and the person processing applications is not familiar, they can just say it's a sub-type of autism and they can confirm it with their own psychologists (instead of just declaring as not qualified [which some still do just because they can't see the word asperger in their list]).

(The PWD ID is optional but highly encouraged. We have laws which give benefits and protections to PWDs with or without a PWD ID. However, a PWD ID makes it easier overall, instead of bringing diagnosis every time; and autism spectrum is just one of many qualified for a PWD ID.)

(Aside: ICD-11 is better than DSM-5 as far as how they defined autism spectrum. The main controversy with DSM-5 was it made autism narrower; there were concerns initially that many who were diagnosed as aspies would fall out of the DSM-5 definition. But in ICD-11 they avoided it, instead they made it even more clear and applicable to all cultures, as opposed to DSM-5 being more US-based. Here in the Philippines, as far as I know, we use both though DSM-5 is more popular. Regardless, as mentioned earlier, asperger has been considered as autism even before these changes, at least here. ^_^)

Few facts about autism

1. The % of boys affect is greater than girls

2, If one or both parents have A+ blood the % rate of having a child with autism is higher

3. In the pass 20 years has changed from  1 in 70 children been born with autism to 1 in 40.

The fast rate at which more kids are being born with autism is alarming  and scary 20 years may seem like a long period of time but over all it really isn't and before we know instead of 1 in 40 it will be 1 in 10 kids born with autism. News stories are in our feeds often lately how a mom or dad abandoned their kid because of autism so we will see more of this type of thing in the future and more so as more kids are born with autism. It saddens me deeply.

I have a son with autism he is non verbal yet very smart and strong will. He is my gift I treasure. Sometimes I feel bad for him not being able to express himself with words like others. 

IM YourOnlyOne:
^ That.

??

Jasti:

??

Oh, I meant 'that too' or 'what you've said' are good information or I agree. ^_^

Jasti:

Few facts about autism

1. The % of boys affect is greater than girls

2, If one or both parents have A+ blood the % rate of having a child with autism is higher

3. In the pass 20 years has changed from  1 in 70 children been born with autism to 1 in 40.

The fast rate at which more kids are being born with autism is alarming  and scary 20 years may seem like a long period of time but over all it really isn't and before we know instead of 1 in 40 it will be 1 in 10 kids born with autism. News stories are in our feeds often lately how a mom or dad abandoned their kid because of autism so we will see more of this type of thing in the future and more so as more kids are born with autism. It saddens me deeply.

I have a son with autism he is non verbal yet very smart and strong will. He is my gift I treasure. Sometimes I feel bad for him not being able to express himself with words like others. 

Having not done the specific research on this, I’d like to note the first and third statistic could boil down to  diagnostic issues. It’s often more difficult to get a diagnosis as a woman as the criteria was based on white male autistics and traits can present themselves differently based on gender (specifically around communication with autistic women often navigating this better probably due to gender expectations) (side note it’s also harder to get a diagnosis as a Bipoc autistic because of this diagnostic criteria). I’m a woman who is undiagnosed but have recently discovered I have a lot of autistic traits (sound sensitive, touch sensitive, obsessive and specific interests, difficulty in communication in various ways such as taking things literally, bluntness, talking onesidedly about my interests etc.) however generally I can communicate to a high level and have achieved academic success, I’ve just kind of pushed these difficulties down and worked around them and have never been diagnosed likely due to this masking. I’m planning to attempt to get a diagnosis at some point but as I’m an adult it may be difficult, long and stressful.Your second statistic could also be linked to diagnostic shifts, more people are being diagnosed rather than them not having been there before, though it could also be true that more autistic people are being born (there would have to be some evidence to back up why exactly this would happen though).  The second fact you gave is truly fascinating to me! I wonder if this is simply a correlation or due to the genetic pool? After all, blood type is genetic and autism has also been linked to genetics so perhaps the gene pool of A+ type has a higher percentage of people with the genes linked to autism?