I've been taking down notes but in the end it has become too emotional for me.

This episode captured majority of the sentiments, complaints, and experiences of every autistic--from most "severe" to less "severe" (to borrow the show's wording).

The f**** discrimination and prejudice society have about autism spectrum, the #1 of it all: all autistics are the same. If one is unfit, all of them are. If one is violent, all of them are.

This is the reason why there are autistics who does not want to be labeled with it. Many doesn't even want to get a diagnosis. They chose to live on their own, denying who they are, just so they do not get discriminated upon or be looked down on.

This is why we hide ourselves. This is why we blend in. This is why wear masks. I learned it at young age and have carried it through adulthood. It was only a few years back that I finally was able to let my masks go and just be who I am.

I can not speak for the other autistics but masking is damn energy consuming. You have to constantly keep track of what a particular identity is. How you should act. And so on. It is even more frustrating because the masks we wear is not who we are and we feel guilty because we are lying to people. We hate lying and masking is one lie we are forced to do.

BUT we have to do it most of the time if we want to survive, or have some semblance of a … here's the stupid word again … "normal" life. (This is why I hate the word "normal" especially when it comes to this topic.)

I'll see if I can make a feedback on episode 3 itself at a later time. But right now, it's too emotional and very close to me. It deeply hurts.

Yay! it’s here 

Take your time :)

If part 2 won’t probably be out, I still appreciate this post :)

{cont.}

I once had a co-worker with a younger brother who is autistic. He knows that I am autistic too because for I disclosed it to the team (one of the rare occasions I chose to disclose it in a work environment).

One day, he asked me about autism because he's trying to understand his brother. Despite our lengthy discussion, he still ended up telling me that "autism is not real", that it is just a product of the person's imagination, that it is fake, an excuse.

No amount of discussion, examples, first-hand experiences I shared, and he himself admitted his brother also experienced some of what I've experienced, his mind is dead set that "autism is not real".

I was deeply offended. But still I tried, in the end I told him: saying "autism is not real" is denying the existence of your brother and that I too doesn't exist, and yet you grew up with your brother, you love him, and you are talking to me. Just think about it. It is who we are. It is our identity.

I rarely disconnect with anyone with no logical reason and this was one of it. I think it was a month later that I unfriended him from all SNS. I didn't want to but I was deeply hurt, forget about myself but his brother, his own brother, he's denying who he is.

It's this misconceptions and stereotype from the media (plenty of it that are wrong), discrimination, and prejudices that shapes the mind of people even within the family. His own brother, imagine that. The best support an autistic can receive is not from "special needs school" but right from home.

Yet that is not what's happening in many homes; just like how in episode 3, the parent's initially preferred to save their reputation and their eldest son's reputation and use their autistic son as the fall guy; than to outright fight for him. And this is happening a lot to this day, if something bad happens, it's either investigators concoct some story the suspect is autistic, or if the suspect is officially diagnosed as autistic they'll use his autism. It happens even in other scenarios.

You are so justified in cutting that person off. How dare he tell YOU that you're making it up!  It sounds like he was merely trying to confirm his own bias, so there is no benefit to you, or even him, of keeping in contact.

I found ep 3, the hardest so far to watch.  I was shocked to view the portrayal of prejudice by both the judge and prosecutor, but considering SK still has no anti-discrimination law, I guess I shouldn't have been.  

Thankyou for your insights.  My son is autistic (along with many other family members) so I have been viewing with equal trepidation and hope, whilst being very aware it's not my experience. Your first hand responses are really helpful so I really appreciate it.

Firstly, thank you for your insights so far. I can't imagine how painful it must have been to watch this episode as it was already extremely emotional for me. No one deserves that level of discrimination and sweeping assumptions and judgement.

Secondly, take your time, and if it's too much to comment further on this episode, it is totally understandable.

Thank you for sharing your opinions with us.

I think this episode is entirely focused on the idea that all the autists are not the same. 

First of all, we have Myung Seok. When he takes this case, he thinks that Young Woo will be able to understand the defendant because he is an autist like her.  And we can see that even Young Woo has to ask for help to her father, because like she herself says, she can see their points in common, but there are huge differences between autists. All the interactions between the defendant and his lawyers, one after another, are breaking that belief. 

Second, the prosecutor. I don´t know if this man believes the words he says at the trial. But his actions are low and cruel. He doesn´t hesitate in his attacks on Young Woo, and he only wants to confuse the judge and the jury about the central idea of this episode: are all the autists the same?  He uses autism as a weapon only to win. 

He is the only responsable for making Young Woo to leave the case. Hanadan, reluctant, only can do what the client is asking for.  Even the parents know Young Woo is capable. But all them have to discard Young Woo for the defendant´s interest.  I think, Hanadan and the parents are not discriminating Young Woo. I think they are reacting to the prosecutor´s actions to protect the defendant. But her coworkers know that´s and injustice and among them, there is Myung Seok, trying to stand for her. 

At first, the father attacks Young Woo because he´s so jelous of her. This is not discrimination. This is a bad reaction. Jelous people attack other people when they´re not autists too. That´s the way jelousy works. But at the end, he understands that she only was trying to help his son, and even when he can´t appologise, the mother does it. I would liked to see him appologising, but only the mother has the guts. 

The worst, cruelest and evil discrimination I can find, are all those coments on the Internet. And that´s a lesson for all of us. It´s so easy for us to sit in front of a keyboard, and carelessy write anything, without thinking about the pain you can cause to other person.  And is even worst when you don´t have any idea what you´re talking about. 

This episode has an amazing variety of lessons for everyone. For people like the prosecutor, who only wants to win at all cost. For people like the parents. For those who think thar reality is everyting about rainbows and justice. 

I love Myung Seok. He at first had his objections about Young Woo, but now he knows that she´s capable, that she can make the difference to win a trial. And he wants her in his team. He stands for her. Not only because he´s nice or he likes her, but at least, because he thinks Young Woo is a good lawyer. Maybe not for this case, because of the prosecutor cruel words, but she is good in her job, and he protetcts her for that reason. 

I love reading your insights on the episodes it rlly gives me and other people a better understanding of autism 

Thank you so much for sharing, I’ve been wondering what autistic folks think of this series, especially since it seems to be doing a decent job so far .  I think they are handling it with sensitivity, although I can see how it would be very triggering and upsetting for people who have experienced this sort of discrimination, especially in Episode 3 :(

None of my autistic friends consider their neurodivergency a “disability” so that was the main thing that bothered me about the depiction so far. It’s always tough having a neurotypical actor play someone with autism and do it in a sensitive and not over-the-top way. Very curious to see how things progress.