Moniisek

Kimi ni Todoke
4 of 6 people found this review helpful
Mar 25, 2012
Cute and shallow story about a simple-minded, gullible girl who looks kinda creepy but has a wonderful smile and heart at the right place.

There were moments where I caught myself thinking she was really annoying with playing dumb and being all obedient to her parents and stuff but that's just the way she is and in that way her character is very extraordinary.
It might not be a romantic movie for read more everyone because it's pretty slow. There are no oversweeted pop songs playing in background and dialogues are sometimes really unnatural. BUT - I was literally dying of kawaii-ness overload when Miura Haruma smiled.

All in all - I was not disappointed but really if you're looking for something that will deeply move you in some way, this would't be a good choice.
Antenna
2 of 2 people found this review helpful
Jan 2, 2014
Don't let the plot summary misguide you - this is not a crazy flick about S&M clubs!

Story: Okay, so we have a shy guy whose younger sister went missing years ago and the trouble is that our protagonist just can't remember anything related to the incident so he subconsciously blames himself for what happened.

There's a mild suspense weaved in the plot but a lot more gripping are various absurd, sad, read more sort of repulsive (if you have a weak stomach, spare yourself the trouble) and touching situations that involve the search for Maria (the name of the younger sister).

Music/Atmosphere: Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the story gradually moves into a more dream-like world. A lot of scenes are rather soundless, I don't recall any soundtrack, sorry, just wind rustling. The same goes for dialogues, they don't explain much, so it's not really an easy watch as you have to keep focused to what's going on.

Acting/Cast: There are some very demanding scenes; Ryo Kase did a superb job.

Rewatch/Overall: That depends. As I've said, there's mild suspense and once you know what's going to happen, the value of a mystery plot lessens. If I rewatch a film, it's usually for the 'feel' of it not for the plot anyway.

Europe