Bubblegum

Zhaoul
Dec 16, 2015
Overall, this is a really lovely drama but it won't suit everyone's taste. It has a very laid back feel and has strong indie vibes. It's not really a rom com, but on the other hand there are some parts that are absolutely hilarious. It has some melodramatic tendencies, but the drama as a whole is very uplifting and encouraging. The character's are very down to earth and very likeable. I like the fact that the character's weaknesses show, but that they also grow as individuals, learn about themselves, get happier and grow stronger as a result.

The romance is unique. In many ways I find it extremely realistic. The actors made the romantic scenes look fun and the chemistry was strong. The type of love they portray is very meaningful too, because it's a couple that was first friends, and really consider each other family. It's not a flighty love, but a deep rooted love of loyalty and understanding. But even knowing this, love is challenging and there are often obstacles.

I think the re-watch value of this drama is high, because there are subtle things that can be missed. A lot of imagery and symbolism is used. The side stories and side characters were also really good.

I think if you're in the mood for a very artistic style drama which focuses on characters, it's a good way to go. If you want something fast paced where you don't have to think too much about it, Bubblegum might not really hold your attention for all 16 episodes. There's so much love and beauty in this drama though. I personally feel it's worth watching. I really enjoyed it a lot. I guess what I really loved is, it doesn't feel like every other drama I've watched; it has it's own lovely vibe. It pops and makes you feel happy, want to smile - like bubble gum.

Tory
Jun 24, 2016
If you like TVN dramas then don't skip out on this gem because of the rating. When this drama first aired I couldn't get past two episodes, after picking it up again it took me less than 2 days to finish. This is has the lightness of a romcom and the realness of a family drama, I wouldn't categorize this a melodramatic. After the first two episodes the pace picks up with a decent amount of plot and not a lot of filler. The acting was real and spot on for all actors. They are all individuals with their own thoughts and don't feel like carbon copied personas. This is hands down my favorite role i've seen Lee Dong Wook in, he really captured the emotions of his chracters. This is also one of the first dramas that I've watched where there really is no antagonist. There are definitely characters put in place to be road blocks for the main couple, but none of them are evil everything they did was surprisingly human and matched to their chracters. I'm a sucker for a best friend turned lovers story and this one is going in my favorites list. I recommend you give this drama a go for at least 4 episodes before dropping it really is worth the watch.

Marooya
Dec 16, 2015
Where to start, from where to begin... I'll try this
God bless you TV network and may you always entertain us with such dramas that I consider jewels. I can't possibly think of a any better way to say goodbye to year 2015 and welcome year 2016 than watching this beautiful masterpiece. I'm not the best writer and I'm not english native speaker, I don't have much vocabularies to support my reviews or to say the least about this drama so I really thought this over and over and decided to write one even though I'm sure it won't be good enough (that's how much I loved this drama).

I never had feelings for any show the way I have for this one, as soon as I open my eyes in the morning and as soon as I close them at night this drama never left my mind all day long. How long has it been for me to think about a drama during my daily life, and recall scenes and smile by myself just from recalling flashbacks? To be honest I don't think it ever went to that extent with dramas that I've seen, I don't think I got attached this deep before. I'm definitely going to have hard time letting go of this one and hard time getting back on track with other dramas.

Story
Taken from life, there is nothing new here everything you've seen and watched and might even have experienced. Two childhood best friends, never relaised their feelings for each other because of certain circumstances. Their friendship is so beautiful you'd wish you had someone like that next to you. I've seen friends turn into lovers but I've never seen it or felt the way I felt with this one. I love how simple yet deep this story is. As I'm writing this review now I find myself smiling...The story had so much depth had so much feelings to share. I find it hard to relate on the emotional and mental level when I'm watching dramas or shows because at the end of the day I'm very much aware that all this is created even if it's presenting real life it isn't real and those are actors.
However Bubblegum has managed to connect with me in every level possible I can't express enough how happy I am with this and how long I've waited for such a drama. To some of you this might be seen as a slow based story because unlike other dramas this drama does not have side stories, pretty much no events happening therefore it is taken as it's going no where and dull. I don't know how can I explain that this is not the case at all I really wish I can and I will try to. This is not a dull not a slow based story this is actually the THE ONLY drama that I've seen so far has something new each ep. In every ep the story has new feelings to share and new development of feelings. I never watched drama with a smile on my face all the time, I never cried in a happy scene in my life. In fact, of all the dramas that I've seen I cried in only two of them and they were sad scenes, I never thought that I would tear up for a happy scene. I guess I have completely forgotten that this is a drama I'm watching and those people aren't real, I felt for them I was supporting them I cheered for them I got hurt for them I felt their pain and finally I felt their happiness. Nothing was taken for granted in this story including their love it wasn't taken for granted and it wasn't easy to make it happen.

Acting
Lee Dong Wook as Ri Hwan: I love this guy, I respect him as an actor he never disappointed me even if his drama did. I was feeling sad for him because he's such a great actor yet his past dramas after Scent of a Woman were all flops. Everyone was telling him to take on a cable drama and I'm so glad he did!! I can never imagine Ri Hwan being anyone but LDW. This is when the character is written well enough which gives a great actor a chance to prove his worth and show his acting skills. Ri Hwan as a character is someone you will definitely be thinking "Can I have a friend like him" He is so sweet so kind and so caring, he chose to be traditional medicine doctor in consideration for those who fear hospitals (as his best friend did). I could't help but feel envious towards Haeng Ah for having such a friend. Ri Hwan's "Believe in me, if we are together we will be Happy".

Jung Ryeo Won as Haeng Ah: She is such a wonderful actress with a great smile, I always admired her which surprised me how come I have only seen few of her dramas!! This will change as I'm definitely going to be watching everything I missed on. I can't imagine anyone else as Hang Ah other than JRW she took in a simple yet deep character and gave it life and more depth I really believed that she is Haeng Ah and when I searched it turned out that she felt the character was very close to her personality (no wonder why it felt so natural). Haeng Ah is simple kind girl, she's very caring and sweet to everyone but not weak. Her character just like all the characters in this show felt real, not over the top not angels or devils but simply normal human beings with flaws. Haeng Ah's "The Happy Child is the meaning of my name, and I want to be happy".

Park Hee Bon as Yi Seul: One of the drama's strongest points, she portrays a very rich girl but how was it presented in this drama? very much different than all that I've seen so far, she is not skinny (which in korea means fat thick huge... you name it), her face is very much natural (I find it pretty) but according to their standards Big = Ugly, she doesn't dress up like all the rich female characters in every other drama, she is down to earth the most modest the simplest girl I've ever seen in drama and the most natural one. Korean dramas finally presented someone who I could see as normal and could be the girl next door, the girl I can see in my real daily life. Even though her self-esteem is broken because of her mother (which is also a character that is taken from real life as I know some mothers are like that) she still stands up for herself and makes a point without disrespecting her mother. She continues to be herself refusing to change anything she believes that is her true identity, yet she is still the obedient daughter who would listen to all her mother's demands as long as it does not involve her changing herself.

Kim Ri Na as Tae Hee: I love this character very much I love the kind of female character she is presenting. Tae Hee is a very straightforward woman, she speaks up her mind without the slightest of hesitation. Her spirit is strong, her personality is strong, she is open up with her feelings and is very comfortable to talk about them. She would go straight up on a guy and tell him that she likes him, she doesn't waste her time playing around with words or worrying how strange people would think about her. She may seem cold on surface because she's very honest but deep down she's very caring person and always looks out for the ones she love. I really admire her character and I wish to be as strong as her.

I would love to write about each and every character is this drama because I loved them all but because I loved all of them that's too many which would make review even longer. I love every single character, I love ALL the female characters (this never happened before). Every character was essential I wouldn't imagine it any other way.

Music
Beautiful!! I loved two OSTs
Because I by Lasse Lindh: This is my favourite, it's so beautiful that even my friends who haven't watched the drama loved the song so much they will watch the drama.
My Time Towards You by Alex: My 2nd favourite, I don't know how were they able to make such fitting OSTs 10/10 doesn't even begin to say it.

Rewatch
Are you kidding me? I'm rewatching this as soon as I submit my review. I have it saved on my computer.

Overall
When I talked about this drama I'm not just talking about the main couple's story, it's not just their happiness or their love story. It was about every single one of them every character got to share his/her story and love and their pursuit of happiness. This drama has different feel to it, so it may not appeal to some of you, I think it takes much more than reason of "entertainment" to watch this. I do hope that there are people who enjoy, love and appreciate it the way I do. All I can say is that I do very much from the bottom of my heart recommend this drama.

addicted2dramas
Dec 20, 2015
Describing what this drama is about and how I felt about it are both difficult. While Bubblegum is a generic drama, it was not executed in a way that normal dramas are. This drama wasn't wholly a romcom nor was it a melodrama. It had both with friendship and family elements thrown in together.

What the drama starts out as what it is by the end vary vastly. While we do get clues about what the important parts of the story are, we never get a clear focus on what exactly we have to look out for. While I may blame the writing but I also have to praise it for not making it stick on to a single track and boring the hell out of me.

The story of the leads is compelling and you will find yourself rooting for them throughout the show. Their relationship goes beyond romance and it's like how they mean a lot to each other and without either of them their life is incomplete. They will make you cry and laugh. The main lead's jealousy over the female lead was cute. There are some frustrating parts to the story also like implied incest, illnesses, secrets, manipulative second leads and scheming mothers. While the comedy and romance is present in the beginning, the middle was frustrating as hell. Towards the end the writer tried to resolve much of the issues and did so more or less satisfyingly.

The strength of the drama and the reason I stayed glued on were Lee Dong Wook and Jung Ryeo Won. I thought they made a cute pair and their interactions were really interesting. I was also excited for Lee Jong Hyuk to be playing the rival love interest but his character hardly served any purpose. It was a pity because he is otherwise such a talented actor. The female second lead was also very underwhelming and I did not care for her at all. For me, most of the secondary characters in this drama failed to make an impact and the real reason to sit through 16 hours was purely the leads.

The OST of the drama is fantastic and has been on my playlist as and when the songs kept coming out. It really fits the indie mood the drama tries to portray and blends well with the situation. In fact, the soundtrack is one of the strengths of the drama.

While I think it was nice to watch it once, the story isn't quite unforgettable to make me rewatch the entire thing. I however loved the kissing scenes and the leads' scenes which I may check out on Youtube later.

Watch this drama for something different and fresh but don't expect too much out of it and be prepared to shed tears.

maida11
Jan 22, 2016
What are you used to do when you want to relax yourself ? why don't you try this drama , no makjang ,no typical triangle love , no evil chaebol .no surprised cliffhanger and guess what the main lead is cute not arrogant and cool , so don't be afraid of second lead syndrome????????
just normal strong and sometimes week characters , they could be me or you .
It is mindset .
The ost , direction , cinematigraphy and acting are Daebaaaaaaaak
The lines are awesome and inspiring.
my favourite ost ;i love you more than i need you .
HwangEunByul
Dec 11, 2015
Warning: its not a fully rom com drama.... it tends to a melodrama, maybe
but there are some comedy in some scenes, but it is highly recommended to watch