The website is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Jealousy Incarnate

• Drama: Jealousy Incarnate
  • Country: South Korea
  • Aired On: Wednesday, Thursday
  • Network: SBS
  • Duration: 60 min.
  • Genres: Friendship, Comedy, Romance
  • Rating: 15+ Restricted (violence & profanity)

• Members: 12,327
palak
Nov 10, 2016
To me, Jealousy Incarnate is a messy drama. But it is messy in the most perfect sense possible. The kind of drama that reminds you about the joys of love, friendship, life and sorrow. I went looking for a typical Gong Hyo Jin romantic comedy drama that I crave once in a while. But this is so much more than a romantic comedy.

Of course, the romantic comedy elements are all there. The love triangle is killer. You will definitely have a second lead syndrome, even if it's only for a few fleeting seconds. But at the same time, you will never stop loving the male lead. The story also makes you laugh plenty. I haven't laughed like this while watching a drama in a long time. The writers didn't take even a minute for granted and the whole thing is an absolute joyride.

Another awesome thing about the story is how they covered a whole range of issues in a lighthearted and optimistic manner. We have the issues of male breast cancer, asexuality, live-in, two-timing, workforce rat-race, not-so-typical families explored beautifully in a way that only a Korean drama can pull off. The romance is top-notch. I love the chemistry between the two leads and between all characters in general. The comic timing is great.

Among the characters, I was absolutely invested in Hwa Shin's character. He is not perfect but the kind of growth the character showed from the very first episode all the way till the end, and the way Jo Jung Suk portrayed Hwa Shin's struggle in love and life, it was amazing. He absolutely killed it! I have watched everything Jo Jung Suk has starred in and this is my favorite of his works (so far). Gong Hyo Jin was her usual best. I love her in these naive roles that she plays. Both second leads were great. Jung Won was more perfect but Hwa Shin was more interesting.

Pal Gang's moms were hilarious and their interactions were something I always looked forward to. The company had an interesting setting. I loved Pinocchio and this time, it was nice to see a drama from an anchor's perspective instead of reporters. Pyo Na Ri's struggle to switch from a forecaster to an anchor was inspiring and something that was relate-able.

I am definitely rewatching this. Some scenes are so memorable and the chemistry is unforgettable. The music is great. My favorite song from the OST is "Yes! Love". I waited for it to release for a long time. Overall, it is going down as one of my favorites. And Jo Jung Suk has almost made it to my favorite actors list. Highly highly recommended for all kinds of moods!

kingsqueen
Nov 11, 2016
I love Gong Hyo Jin, and the trailers for this show are what drew me to it. I like the two male leads as well, and this looked to be a fairly fun romance story.

The first half of this show, I was utterly in love with it. I re-watched episodes as I waited for new ones to air. But I made the fatal mistake of falling for the second male lead, knowing that the writers would break my heart and his. The show starts off by throwing a huge cast of characters at us, and their relations seem a little confusing at first. But, eventually, all is sorted, and we have ourselves with 3 main love triangles. Pyo Na Ri, who has been in a 3 year one-sided love with Lee Hwa Shin, and then meets and falls for his best friend and ultimate chaebol gentleman, Go Jung Won. This is our main triangle and love story. The others are played up at first but slowly get pushed to the background....just like our 2nd lead. I blame the writers for making Jung Won such a perfect catch (and Go Kyung Pyo for making Jung Won seriously swoony) that he was hard to get over. Whereas, in contrast Hwa Shin could be a perfect donkey's behind...yet somehow you couldn't hate him because he also showed that he cared about everyone in his life as well. He was definitely tortured by his own inner self.

The story had some serious moments that the writers cut with humorous moments, so the weightier matters didn't drag the show into melodrama territory. There were strong characters and great chemistry with ALL the cast members. The writers did a fantastic job with the casting, and it could not have been more perfect. Up until around episode 14, I was sure that this might be the best drama I had ever watched and I fully expected to see it on my list of favorites. But the writers started to make some missteps in the story from my point of view. And I know that the majority of viewers may disagree with me. I did not feel that way simply because my 2nd lead wasn't getting the girl. Hwa Shin was not a bad choice for Pyo Na Ri. They did have some great chemistry together and I could see where the Hwa Shin "shippers" could be all on board with him. But I wasn't as swayed as I could have been and the actions of the characters didn't seem honorable to me in that mid-point. It dampened my love for the show somewhat, and that never fully recovered. Jealousy Incarnate was still a good show and I looked forward to it every week. I think they wrapped up the story well and completely for our main couple. However, they left a lot of loose ends when they backburnered the side characters that were prominent in the first several episodes.

My favorite side characters may have been the doctor and her nurse. Nurse Oh stole every scene she was in, and the doctor was both funny and full of heart.
The music was great - seriously stand out. I'm not normally into the music so much, but there were several songs that I had to hunt down and play for my own enjoyment of them.

Please, do give this show a chance (and push through past the first couple of episodes if it's hard - it's worth it!). You'll have lots of laughter and emotions.

jellybine
Nov 14, 2016
My first impression on Jealousy Incarnate is not that strong. It took me around 6 episodes before I was fully reeled in. It was then that I realized that I was in for a very long haul cause it's a 24-episode drama. I was thinking of dropping this already but it's a good thing that I kept on hanging.. this turned out to be one of my most loved dramas this year. :)

The Story
This drama banks on the many kinds of love triangle it has.

I like the love triangle among Chef Rak, Ja-yong, and Sung-sook. It's really adorable when these middle-aged people discover love, jealousy, and friendship in their age. I actually fell for their dynamics first before I liked the main triangle.

Now, to the main love triangle.. I salute Na-ri
for her personality. I tend to love the unconventional heroines we have in our dramas. The love triangle with her, Hwa-shin and Jung-won is totally crazy. I've never seen a drama take on its main point of conflict in the way this drama did. It was painful yet hilarious. I am even confused on how I should react on their take about the confusing love triangle.

This drama might even make it as a family drama cause it got everytging in it. From a father-daughter relationship, mother-son/daughter, the sisterhood, the bromance.. It's complete and I love it.

The Cast
I love Go Gyung-pyo as Sun-woo in Reply 1988 and his role as Jung-won is still as perfect.
I like him but Hwa-shin really has his way of winning you over. I feel like I'm watching a puppy whenever I watched Jo Jung-suk as Hwa-shin.
Gyung-pyo acts well but I can tell how the difference in experience is by seeing Jong-suk's acting. Oh, the challenge to make us laugh, he really gave his all.

I really like Gong Hyo-jin ever since so there's not much I can say. The way she laughs and cries are just so real that I can sympathize (no matter how ridiculous the situation is.)

I'm giving full points to Chi-yeol (Na-ri's younger brother) for making me like him since his very firat scene. I do like to have a younger brother like him. Hehe.

I love all characters but, for me, Jo Jung-suk really made this drama ridiculously lovable.

Rewatch Value
It is a bit long but I think I can manage. ;)

The Music
Oh, loved it. And now that it has ended...
???? Step Step
Where do we go now? ????

Linky
Sep 15, 2017
After watching Jealousy Incarnate I might have a new favorite actor. I loved this drama so much! It was on my watch list for awhile and I am so glad I finally watched it because it really got under my skin. I could not stop watching it and thinking about the characters throughout the day. I even replayed some episodes and scenes over again while I was watching. Now that it's done I started re watching certain episodes just because I am not ready for it to be over. Episodes 8-14 are so good! Not that the rest are bad, but these are so good.

This drama features several love triangles and for people who can't stand the love triangle cliche, this might be an exception to the rule because the characters are so endearing and the acting is so good. The secondary love triangles have their moments and are somewhat cute, but the main love triangle is the best love triangle ever.

Jo Jung Suk was my favorite. I want to watch all his other stuff now. How did he he make his arrogant jerky character so lovable and magnetic? He shows Hwa Shin's inner turmoil, heartsickness and insecurity with a subtle change of expression or shift in the eyes. The second lead character Jung Woon is a dreamy perfect guy and the main character Na Ri is warm and lovable. They all have great chemistry together and the friendship between the two guys is so good too. They stole my heart. Thanks to the great character development and acting, it was actually believable that Na Ri would be so conflicted between these 2 guys that are such polar opposites. I totally understand people routing for the second lead in this drama. I admit I was conflicted too for a few episodes, but finally I was won over and satisfied that Na Ri found her soul mate.

The drama isn't perfect. The secondary story lines weren't as interesting to me as the main one, but they did have their charms. The story slows down a little in the second half and doesn't have the same flow as in the first half, but it's still good and it ties everything up in a satisfying way. Even though the finale took me a little off guard in how it was done, I think it was a fun goodbye to the characters. And the main love story brings the whole thing up for me.

Aside from the heart fluttering romance, this drama is funny and cute and had me giggling out loud many times. It also deals with some serious issues that bring more emotional depth to the relationships, but it never gets depressing or too heavy. If you have been putting off watching this you should do it.

94loveKdrama
Nov 23, 2016
The target of the age group I think would be into 20's and above I mean it would be more relatable to that age bracket this is not a drama that filled with sweet candies. No.
24 episodes seems a lot for a romcom right? But no this drama is special. Yes a special kind of romcom. The plot is about love, relationship, choosing, complicated situation, life and the one that I appreciate the most is the career how they attack that field really strikes into me that I could totally relate. This drama is very hilarious! Believe me. Out of the dramas I've seen this is the funniest Lol...XD it would even make you confuse like am I supposed to laugh or not?lol

Acting: The characters were all played well beyond everything that is good. Jo Jung Suk is such a great actor, awesome and there's a bonus... his swag!!! so far this is the best drama of him. Gong Hyo Jin is always been awesome as usual. Supporting cast were all lovable too!

Let's talk about characters:
Lee Hwa Shin? Ofc in a dramaland it's given that male lead must be jerk. Yes he is. Out of the male lead jerk characters I've seen he's the best among them all, words are not enough to describe why. Hahanahha. XD No one can beat the overflowing confidence he have for himself. lol

Jeung Won? Yes the typical 2nd lead kind of guy that every girl would fall for.

Male lead and 2nd lead characters of it seems so typical in dramaland right? But what will happen if there's a twist? A change of situation like how it feels like for the second lead to get a taste of being male lead and vise versa. Are you curious now and interested? Now you'll get to know more of it and understand once you watch this drama.^^

Pyo Na Ri: a lovable female lead that is very persistent in everything I meant it in a positive way.
Aside from the main role I'll give shout out to Chi Yeol and Beom character they are my favorite^^

This drama is filled with triangles. Yes. With an "s" lots of triangle relationship that you have to look forward. All the characters are lovable and likeable, every kind of relationship.. wait... umm. some could be annoying at times but at the end of the day that annoyance will turn into like as always :)

Ost:
The ost perfectly suits to the situation like it could be hilarious, serious, sincere, love and sexy!!! XD

Rewatch: definitely!

Totally deserves a rating of 10.
You know what makes it special? Usually a genre that is filled with laughter or romance (yah romcom. lol) could give butterflies into our tummies, random feels but let's admit it most romcom, the foundation of the story of is kinda weak, lacking but Jealousy Incarnate manage to overcome that kind of struggle and relay a wonderful and genuine kind of message .
Best drama of 2016. Great way to watch it before the year ends^^

This is a kind of drama that you would not want to let go once you're close to the ending. I'll miss everything about it.

Ps: being jealous could not be bad you know. Wink

-executedtoperfection-
Nov 13, 2016
The overall 10/10 rating pops up when something makes my day, makes me smile, cry, laugh and connect with it. Jealously Incarnate definietly did that for me.

I'll keep this review short and to the point.

What works: Amazing acting, ever evolving characters, gripping comedy, diverse range of characters, a thorough and different depiction of the TV news industry, sizzling chemistry and ton loads of unexpected turns.

Everytime you think you know a character's move, or expect a cliche, you will be surprised with something absoluetly absurdly different. That's the USP of the show. Apart from the fact that they handled the issue of brest cancer brilliantly and effectively and so graciously, they gave multiple twists to even the normal love trainle

What I enjoyed: Hwa Shin's way of love, his character evolution. Na Ri's undetereed loyalty and ability to take care of everyone around her.

You'll read all around what worked for the show that made me give it a 10.

I'll tell you about what made me deduct the 1 point from the story: It felt incomplete after a while. The things we were prepared slowly in the first half of the show, were left un dealt with durin the second half. The teenage triangle, the chef-moms traingle (although dealt fairly well, I'd have liked for the Chef to be actaully asexual), and mainly the second lead.

They introduced the second lead in such a manner that he practically charmed the pants off, but then he started to get on everyones nerves around the middle part. He was a character that I expected to be the BFF first and the second lead later. And while he did that for around 15 episods, it suddenly got downhill and creepy after that when he couldn't give up.. What I'd have liked is that they redeemed him in the end slow and not just by giving him 5 mins in the end. No, I'd have liked for him to stick up for his best friend and be there..and this should have been done through the last 4 epsiodes. This kinda left an incomplete aftertaste for me.

Other than that, let's count the amazingness of the show:

- Mind blowing actors, JJS toreme apart with his emotional scenes and I fell off my chair laughing at him.
- GHJ is a queen when it comes to cute yet firm characters. Her micro minute expressions made me love her so much.
- Unexpected way of dealin with equally unusual and absurd situations
- Unlimited laughter
- Brilliant supporting cast
- Entertaining TV news team and scenes (especially the auditions)
- Heart fluttering OST

This was my first show to watch live with everyone, waiting for the episodes everyweek, and it honestly made my thursdays and fridays (I saw it a day later because of subtitles) and I'm going to miss this SO much.

Favourite Episodes: 4, 6, 9, 12, 14, 17, 22, 23.

Sash
Nov 10, 2016
This drama was pure bliss! Had the best time watching it. The writing and direction made what could have been a cookie cutter plot, unconventional and hence, interesting. I could relate to the struggles the female lead faces while trying to establish her identity at work, all the while experiencing dating for the first time (Surprisingly always the case when Gong Hyo Jin plays these characters :D). The realistic nature of the plot and dialogues, was so refreshing. Acting was as amazing as you would expect from these seasoned actors. Jo Jeong Seok was the heart of this show though, and he earned a new level of respect in my eyes. Loved his performance :) ! To sum it up, this drama was gripping, funny and relatable till the end and I am putting this on my re-watch list. So if you haven't watched this yet, what are you waiting for? ;)

SuchismitaTripathy
Nov 11, 2016
There are dramas that make you laugh without any content, and there are some, that leave you thinking and craving a little more from it. This drama has all the elements you need to binge watch because you miss the characters after a while. While the actors have portrayed their roles well, i will have to give the shout out to the writers. Taking a serious issue like breast cancer, framing it with hilarious situations and then giving it a twist of pure romance, they have reached a new heights of creativity.

Genre: comedy, melodrama, romance

Story-line : A bold yet persistent weather reporter who has had a crush on a reporter goes through a series of hard-ships to protect the reporter. The name jealousy incarnate is perfect for the story and the parallel stories go with the theme 'jealousy' well and the second lead makes you go weak in your knees. I would go on but you would really have to watch it to realize why it is worth watching. The story is unique and different and makes you laugh and cry at the same time.

Acting : The characters have been played well, but special mention to Go Kyung Pyo who is the 'most perfect man' ever. He plays his character so well that you cry with him and laugh with him. Compared to his previous soft characters this one made him come out of the 'cute' arena and made him look manly. (To be honest he is the reason i watched this drama). Coming to Gong hyo jin, while the character fit with her perfectly, it wasn't any different to her previous characters and there wasn't any special element and it got quite boring after a while. There is no drama without a mean, selfish lead so Jo Jung Suk played his part pretty well and the obvious drama triangle was completed.

Will i watch it again, NO.
Will i recommend it to people, YES.

YamaneAlMohammad
Nov 5, 2016
This is my first review here, but I thought I had to do one for this drama!

I was hesitant at first to watch this drama, and the first couple of episodes might seem a bit slow for some of you but once you watch the first episodes you'll be dragged into this drama. I never felt bored watching it, all the funny scenes make every episode so entertaining! :D The cast is just perfect starting from the lead couple, to the characters at work, or the students at the restaurant.

What I liked the most about this drama is its realistic side, the fact that it talks about a not very much spoken subject which is male breast cancer, some scenes are really overwhelming. Plus her struggle at work, all the ups and downs to achieve her dream to be an announcer. The characters development throughout the drama and the bonds that are created between each of them is also what makes this drama GREAT ! ^^

Around the 20th episode when I thought the drama will drag, it took another surprising path that will keep you hooked till the end. So sad this drama will end next week.. :(

manicmuse
Nov 27, 2016
It took me a long time to review this one because I wasn't ready for it to be over. Although I've watched so many Gong Hyo Jin romcoms, and she tops my female romantic lead list, a friend had to recommend this one to me before I decided to watch. At first I had no clue what was happening, and was preparing myself to be disappointed. I also wasn't sure about matching her with Jo Jung Suk, who I also loved in a few dramas (Oh My Ghost, King2Hearts)... that just goes to show how you never know how hooked you will get based on the first episode alone. Believe me, I was so hooked on this show! Jo Jung Suk and Gong Hyo Jin are perfectly matched in this! She has basically paired with most of my favorite male leads at this point, and in some of my favorite dramas, but this match is definitely one of her best. Na Ri is quirky, and likable, and frustrating, and definitely a memorable character. Parts of her personality would have easily made me hate her if she were played by a lesser actress, but she is so good that it works. Jo Jung Suk as Lee Hwa Shin however, is the key to what makes this couple so good. He's played lovably arrogant before, and extremely well, but he made me fall for him so much in this role, even though he is an absolute jerk. I don't want to give any of the story away, but it's certainly not your average love story set up. It also could have easily gone a much cheesier melodramatic route, which this story thankfully avoided. The plot stays true to the seriousness of the subject matter without losing any of the humor. What I never expected from these two was that they would have some EXTREMELY HOT moments, with an intense attraction that was addictive to watch. The relationship also felt real, with their personality flaws on full display, which made them super relatable. Of course I can't leave out Go Gyeong Pyo as Jeong Won. Not only is his bromance with Hwa Shin perfection, and an essential part of the story, but he completes my favorite kdrama love triangle, possibly of all time. These three actors had me excited to watching their shenanigans each week, and I could never quite guess what would happen next. I loved them so much that for the first time I was excited that a show was longer than I expected it to be. Gyeong Pyo is also the kind of character that the term "Second Lead Syndrome" was made for. His actions did start to annoy me after a while, but they never lost their charm as a trio, which was the best part of the show for me. The rest of the cast is filled with memorable, and hilarious characters. It truly is a great ensemble, with entertaining stories of their own. I could spend all day writing about why I loved each supporting character, down to super cute Seol Woo Hyung, but I will just say it's a cast worthy of a perfect score. Again, I need to compliment the story for staying interesting, and not falling into the same old expected clichés. Although this is pretty much a romantic comedy, I not only laughed, but I cried, I also laughed while I cried, and got deeply invested in each story. It also made behind the scenes in the news room seem fun, interesting, and even intense at times. Usually the "at the job" parts of the story just feel like filler to me in romcoms, but the cast and crew of SBC were entertaining on their own. I also feel the same way about the Chef, and the apartments at Rak Pasta, though it took me a little longer to get into that part of the story because it was initially kinda confusing. Would I watch this drama again? Absolutely. In fact this is one of those dramas I was ready to watch again immediately after it was finished. I have the soundtrack, of course! The "step step" song will be stuck in my head for a long time! There are a lot of good songs, and some that fit the mood of the story really well, like "Monday To Sunday"... which always played at the perfect time. Overall, I knew this would be added to my favorite drama list halfway through, so of course I recommend it! By the end I was totally satisfied, and was never bored, and all the weirdness in the beginning made perfect sense... umm... except for the aliens... What's up with the aliens? Anyway, This is an absolute must for Gong Hyo Jin fans, and romcom fans in general. If you're not a fan of either, it's still worth giving it a shot. Prepare yourself to laugh, cry, and crave ramen while watching. This drama is definitely unique, so just go along with that "What the hell am I watching?" feeling that you will probably have in the beginning, and I don't think you will be disappointed. Personally, I miss the characters so much that I'm singing the OST to myself... "step, step, where do I go now?" :(

Imitalia
Apr 27, 2017
Wow. Today I'm talking about my favorite drama.
The one which makes me smile the most.
The one I'm always sing the OST.
The one with one of the best love triangle.
Seriously, actors are perfect. Ok, Gong Hyo Jin is not a young women of 20 years old. She's not a beauty like IU or Suzy. But, isn't she beautiful ? Isn't she cute ? The way Korean People dress is REALLY strange, colors, and all... WARNING : For some. And it's the case of the cute Pyo Na Ri, but it suits so good on her !
For actors. I know that some people are like "AH no, I won't watch this. The lead actor is not in my taste". Right... Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Ok. Jo Jung Suk is not a beauty like Lee Jong Suk is for some people. BUT WAIT his acting is so sweet, his character in the drama is so sweet... THE WAY HE REACTS !
So... For the second lead.. Go Gyeong Pyo, he's cute, his character looks perfect, I DON'T LIKE PERFECT PERSONS. SORRY. ahah. No, the acotrs is very good. He is very good. Nothing more.
BUT THE BROMANCE, OH THAT'S BROMANCE. The love triangle is very pleasant to watch, but the bromance is perfect, seriously, I want a friend like that.

Recently, I decide to rewatch it, I was smiling, laughing as hell. So yes, It's a romcom. It's not something serious. But It makes you happy. Yes there's some moments you can be nervous for characters.. But, all elements are here for making you smile. Don't forget it.

Well, that's my longest review. If that review inspire you to watch this drama, I'm happy, I make my job.

Enjoy watching Jealousy Inscarnate ;)

WonByungHoon
Nov 14, 2016
Just such a funny show. I was hooked from the beginning coz pyo na ri is usually one of my favorite actors. Its grown up show with grown up problems including dating two guys at the same time. Not a common thing in kdramas so this was interesting and the fact that they shared the same room as throuples eats the cake. I found myself wanting her to have both of them and stay like that but that show hasnt been made yet. Anyways its got lots of funny scenes with the two mums and the assexual guy (another grown up problem). Since i watched it weekly i forget what happened in the beginning parts but it was good enough to keep me hooked. Great stuff