The website is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.
The Legend of the Blue Sea

• Members: 20,496

The Legend of the Blue Sea (2016)

manicmuse
Mar 9, 2017
Legend of the Blue Sea is one of those dramas that has all the elements that should make it great, but it ends up being just really ok. In the beginning I was really into the story, and thought it would be interesting, but eventually I only finished because I felt like I had to and wanted some kind of closure.

I will start with the leads, who are of course major, and a great match. Lee Min Ho and Jun Ji Hyun are awesome to watch together. They look great, they play off of each other well, their chemistry was great at first, then just ok, but they still did not disappoint me. The supporting cast was also great! Heo Joon Jae's partners in crime were a great non traditional bromance. I loved Shim Chung's random friends as well, especially cute but wise Seo Yoon Ah (played by the impressive young actress Shin Rin Ah from "Marriage Contract"). It even had some good villains (which I won't spoil), and an awesome cameo (that was a really nice surprise). So, why didn't i love this show as much as I should have? The plot is very VERY mediocre.

The concept is great, especially in the beginning. It's The Little Mermaid, mixed with Splash, with some thriller elements thrown in. Legend is mainly a romance, but there are some action thriller moments, and there is definitely comedy too. The story, I think, tried to do too much and became more convoluted, and less interesting. There are flashes into the past that are meant to make me care more about the plot, but I just became annoyed because to me it was all so predictable, and repetitive. I wasn't exactly bored by the plot however. I still enjoyed watching because the cast made it entertaining, but the story just felt like it was dragging along at times. Eventually the mystery thriller story resolved, and what aimed to be an emotional love story didn't make me tear up once. Suddenly all that great chemistry turned into two stars doing what's expected, and was more flirting than substance, and tears without emotion.It did have a decent final episode to tie up the loose ends, which i appreciated, but didn't love.

What about the soundtrack? It was too cheesy and literal for me. I'd rather have the music be good, or forgetful, but this OST was a little distracting.

Overall this is a decent romance, with a cool mermaid twist. It reminded me of "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho", and if really you like that drama you may see some parallels too, and at least be entertained. I did love the mermaid look, and its definitely worth mentioning that the mermaid scenes look really cool. So if you are in the mood for a fairytale style romance, I think this is worth watching, but it's probably not one you will stay up all night marathoning through. Honestly, I will probably forget this drama after a while (the only way I would rewatch this), and 20 episodes were too long, but I am still glad I watched.

Jasmine
Jan 26, 2017
I was super excited about Legend of The Blue Sea because I love mermaid folklore. So full disclaimer: I've always loved The Little Mermaid. Did LOTBS live up to its hype because of its double star power between Lee Min Ho and Jeon Ji Hyeon? Mmm...kind of?

LOTBS was a solid drama that I fully enjoyed watching week after week. Was it amazing though? Maybe not so much. I definitely enjoyed LOTBS far more than I would care to admit, as there was some lack in plot direction-sometimes the same problem would meander for a few episodes, or the villains had too much screen time not being threatening so it wasn't compelling. The villains were not that smart, plain out. They were stock and annoying to me. They didn't pose much threat and I was just not a fan, honestly. I couldn't relate to them whatsoever except for one. Lee Ji Hoon gave substance and sympathy to Chi Hyun as a character.

Now, the beginning in Spain was lovely visually and a good start to the drama. The plot of LOTBS is pretty simple: you get the mermaid on land antics, then the starting to care to actually caring relationship. It's nothing new, but I still loved watching it. It could be that Lee Min Ho is the best I've ever seen here. He's emoting well and I no longer think his acting has huge limitations because he's portraying so many different emotions here-romantic, familial, and family.
The OTP between Joon Jae and Shim Chung was cute and touching at times but I felt like it lacked a bit of something. I think there was some emotional disconnect in some scenes. As a whole, though, Lee Min Ho and Jeon Ji Hyeon had good chemistry and are visually stunning together.

The bromance was spot on! If you like bromance, then this is the drama for you. I love Joon Jae, Tae Oh, and Nam Do together. They are just too cute.

I was a little disappointed that the story became more about reincarnations, rather than mermaid folklore. The drama did drag in some spots here and there so it could've benefitted from a tighter episode count.

I liked the OST a lot! It had nice instrumentals and the theme songs were very fantastical and appropriate to the story.

LOTBS wasn't the next DOTS everything thought it was going to be. However, I did enjoy this drama a lot throughout its run. It has all the elements to be a great star-crossed lovers romance, but it just lacked the extra oomph. Despite that, I still recommend it for its light-hearted, romantic fare that veered melodramatic in the latter half, but pulled back to the fluffiness I love eventually.

kingsqueen
Jan 26, 2017
I really enjoyed Legend of the Blue Sea very much. I was prepared to give this a higher rating than I did, but there were a few things that kept this from being perfect. The story was very good, I enjoyed the reincarnation/past lives aspect and the flashback scenes to the Joseon counterparts. I wish those parts had been able to continue further into the story. The writer really set up her myth very well. I've heard some say that it was too reminiscent of My Love From Another Star, and I can see where the set up was very similar in style. I enjoyed all the characters, though, and the writer did put in some good twists to the story. There were a few inconsistencies, but nothing that distracted too much from my enjoyment. And although the ending was good, I felt like it still could have been better. They did a good job at wrapping up, but I didn't feel like they spent enough time with our main couple for the last episode.

This drama was actually my first experience watching Lee Min Ho. I thought I finally got why he was such a "big deal" a few years back. (No, I have never watched BOF and probably won't!) I liked him enough to find another drama of his to watch while waiting for new episodes. While he impressed me fairly well in the first part, I found that he lacked emotional punch in some scenes toward the end which lowered my acting score a bit. Jun Ji Hyun, though, has become one of the actresses that I enjoy very much. She has a great comedic sense and stands out from a lot of the Korean actresses I see. She did an excellent job in this show as well. I thought all the side characters were interesting and well-acted for their roles. Especially all the actors doing double duty as past and present characters.

The music was pretty good, but nothing that was extraordinary. The theme song was cheesy but still somewhat catchy. It's not something I would like or enjoy listening to outside of being the theme song for this show, though. So, it was good for its purpose.

I think this has good rewatch value, even if I myself may not rewatch it.

Overall, I gave this an 8.5. It was a very solid drama and I would recommend it to anyone that likes romance and fantasy elements. I think this show airing during the same time frame as Goblin may hurt its ratings a bit, but it was still a great show and I don't have any major criticisms for it.

YamaneAlMohammad
Feb 25, 2017
Still watchable but nothing wow, overall story was good but too predictable. It took me weeks to finish the last few episodes of this drama tbh, I think 16 episodes would've been enough and I would've probabaly given it a higher rating then. Best parts of the drama are the funny scenes with Jun Ji Hyun, escpecially Jo Jung Suk appearance in ep7-8 (that was really funny xD). The 2 lead actors had no chemistry at all, a bit disappointing.
voodoomoocow
Mar 2, 2017
Initially it was pretty enjoyable, however it could have told the story with 16 episodes. The main arch completed around then so as a result the remaining episodes meandered slowly through predictable one dimensional plot devices of "Will They? Won't They?" even though we all already know the answer so you gotta eyeroll your way through repetitive and cringey affirmations of love and loss to the end. Plus the director just rehashed everything that we already saw in You Who Came From the Stars so it didn't feel as fresh.

Great acting by all the main and supporting actors, though, and I do love the juxtaposition with the Joseon period to now. The cinematography during the old scenes were visually stunning and added an extra layer of interest. I think the director learned a lot from YWCFtS and you can tell he stepped up his game for these scenes. The first half is worth a watch just for these scenes.

It drags on way way way too long though.

MariKim
Jan 30, 2017
Summary: There was nothing exceptional about the drama or the storyline, but if you like fairytales and the fantasy realm of KDramaWorld give it try.

+/- Plot:
Is anyone feeling the trend of reincarnation this season? I mean the two most competing shows (in my opinion) of Winter '16-'17 both had this weaved throughout their storylines. I love the idea of reincarnation and how our fates are continually interwoven, especially how romanticized it is in the KDramaWorld. I also liked the fantasy aspect of the drama with Jeon Ji Hyeon as a mermaid, I could see there was a lot of mermaid theorizing that went on behind the scenes and I appreciated that as I felt that it was a nice touch. As for the actual storyline, it's main focus was the romance of course, but they also tried to add an element of suspense/thriller at some points and I felt that was the additional route they wanted to take they should have had a bit more background on Ma Dae Young's character and why he had such grievances against the world. Although they slightly touched on this in one of the last few episodes I wasn't completely satisfied.
As for the romance and the light-hearted areas of the plot I thought they were well planned out and came full circle at the end. I will say that there were some pretty funny/cute moments that make the drama memorable.

+/- Acting/Cast:
Jeon Ji Hyeon is the reason I actually started watching this show. I think she is amazingly beautiful and innocently comedic, a rare combination to come across. I love how she's not afraid of putting her beautiful image on the line to pull out some comedy. She's slightly reminiscent of Mary Tyler Moore, which I greatly admire. Not only does she have beauty, she's also very talented as an actress in my opinion. Although her character wasn't too complex, I think she played it very well and it was fitting.
I'm sorry to say it but I'm not a fan of Lee Min Ho, there's just some aspects of his acting which I find subpar. It felt like he was crying every other episode, and not that I object to a man crying (he had just reason to), it's just that I didn't feel the conviction or the heart throughout the scenes. I probably would've been more moved if they didn't have so many scenes of him bawling his eyes out making his make-up splotchy. And when he performs his 'cutesy' romantic scenes he just doesn't make me swoon like other actors, it just doesn't feel genuine.
Unfortunately, I wasn't a huge fan of the romance between Lee Min Ho and Jeon Ji Yeon. I felt that there was just something missing between the two, they didn't quite have the spark as some other small screen actors. I had much more favor for Ji Yeon and Soo Hyun in Love from Another Star.
As for the other characters, they did pretty well as a whole. I throughly enjoyed Lee Hee Joon and thought he played his part extremely well; he really kept me questioning him through the end. And Shin Won Ho was especially adorable throughout the show, although he didn't have many lines he still made me giddy with his smirks. (I admit, I was initially opposed to his ending, but I'll accept it since I wanted a happy ending for Cha Shi Ah too).
As for the bad guys, I will say that I was put off by Kang Seo Hee and Ma Dae Young, but I've had more burning hatred for other characters in different dramas before. They were fitting for the roles, however, I felt they could have taken it up a notch. And ultimately, I just felt sorry for Lee Ji Hoon's character. I wasn't in love with him, I just slightly felt for him and his circumstances. Sad to say on Lee Min Ho's part, but Ji Hoon's final moments in the show might have been one of the only times when I was even slightly close to tearing up.

+/- Music:
The music was decent, I mean there was nothing that stood out about it. I would say the only song that really stood out to me was Lee Sun Hee's track, which is because I'm a big fan of her. Other than that, there was nothing outstanding, but the OST did it's part in the drama.

Pat
Jul 2, 2017
I was so busy that's why I just finished the Korean drama just now. But here we go!

"STORYLINE OF ME BEFORE WATCHING IT"
At first, I was not going to watch this because Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo has the same airing week as LOTBS and I feel like the viewers liked WFKBJ more than this and some say that it's boring and cliche, so I don't want to watch it. Then after months, a friend recommend me to watch it but I doubt that I will like this drama. But after finishing this, I think that LOTBS is GREAT! WFKBJ is better but LOTBS is great too! Here are the reasons why:

PLOT/STORY - I really like the story. I don't know why you think that it's boring. Yes, I have to agree that it's a bit convoluted or complex because of things going on, but that's what it is all about to be honest, to have it's thrill and having questions in our mind about what will happen next. Yes, I also have to agree that it is predictable, maybe it is just me that likes the drama being predictable on some scenes. But some scenes are not predictable for me, I was always questioning myself about what will happen next (maybe I am a clueless person that's why I can't think outside the box LOL). I love the reincarnation idea too! Well to be honest, I'm almost going to drop the drama because of the start of episode 1, but because of the funny moments of the mermaid, it made me want to watch more.

This drama made me laugh because of the mermaid & the cast, clenched my teeth and curse words because of the villain, & tense because of all the thriller. And it really ended out well. I gave it 9 and not 10 because even though it's a great drama, there are still questions that are unanswered and I wish that you made the ending very detailed. I'm not a harsh & strict critic so yeah. :D I cried but just a few seconds for the main couple but it didn't emotionally hit me COMPLETELY, but it made me emotional though.. Like 75%. So in short, the story was great and even though it's complex, it still works for me and gave me mixed emotions.

ACTING/CAST - Okay, I got to agree with you that the main characters which are the couples (Cheong and Joon Jae) missed something. I don't know if it is that chemistry or closure. There are times that I smile because of their sweet scenes but the couples didn't made me jump with joy and scream (because that's how I will react when they have great chemistry), but I didn't. I just smiled and cry a bit. I kinda giggled though with Cha Shi Ah and Tae Oh's development because they are so cute. I think the cast did well. The villain character (the woman) really made me clenched my teeth and scream with anger, because she is that good. Other casts did so well too so I don't have problems with the others. I think Lee Min Ho's acting is great, what the eff are y'all saying?! He doesn't have emotion sometimes because that's the personality of the character. Good job!

MUSIC - The songs are not memorable though but it really fits to the drama. I don't get why you find the theme song cheesy, it sounds perfectly fine for me (or maybe because I can't understand the lyrics because I am not Korean)

REWATCH VALUE - I am not that kind of person to rewatch some korean dramas but I would watch this again but for a very long time.

I'm going to miss this drama though because it is really good. I would recommend you guys to watch it. :) (for those who are way more outdated than me that didn't watch this yet LOL)

Chloe
Dec 10, 2016
I don't usually write reviews but I felt the urge to do so in this case.
This drama is something you don't see everyday. It is just so well done in my oppinion. Already rewatched all the available episodes thirce!
The actors, the music, the atmosphere, everything is perfect.
It also has so many life lessons, and really makes you think about life itself. I recommend to anyone to watch this, you will not regret it. The comedy in this drama is something I rarely met. I actually laughed till I cried.

10/10 this is a must watch!

Also if you enjoy fantasy/mystery/sci fi and comedy this is just for you. It resembles somehow my love from another star, given the fact that we have the same actress in both and the story has the same feeling to it.

ManaSura
Jun 12, 2017
So, Legend of the blue sea.
At first I wasn't warmed up to the idea that is this drama, for mostly the exact same reasons why everybody was looking forward to it and dying to watch it.
To rely on a popular drama and sell another one that's neither a sequel/prequel, remake or either a spin-off, by advertising it has a similar feel and story to it + share the same director and main female lead, hmmm to me that doesn't make any sense.
But I put all that aside and gave the first episode a try. Good thing I only did that after the drama had finished airing completely, for boy! was I hooked.
I loved the bad boy lead! loved the quirky comedy, the past & present story lines intermingling, but above all simply enjoyed watching the characters interactions to pieces. I found Lee MIn Ho (strangely) delivering a very strong performance, and (as expected) Jun Ji-Hyun who was just perfect as a cute, curious & lovable mermaid. I liked the story too and how it unfolded, especially appreciated that the method used to build and maintain a connection between the two leads was believable and not so reeking of drama-script-made-up encounters and unbelievable coincidences like many Kdramas fall prey of.
I also loved the overall pace of the drama, and rarely felt bored with the story (though sometimes I was bored with some characters portrayal or interactions esp. the villains). Also appreciated that the Joseon story unfolded early on, leaving well-deserved space to focus on the present seoul story.
I have to admit that certain characters' past actions portrayal felt a bit rushed and insufficiently accounted for, in a way that really didn't help flesh them out and invest me in their drama (the father). Some other characters' actions were a bit ill-written, and seemed a bit contradicting with the eventual portrayal of their strong and independent personality that it was difficult to relate to them let alone sympathize with (the mother). But still, the drama somehow succeeded in getting me invested in not only the fantasy and romance which are the main two lines of the drama, but also the family drama and friendship, I was crying in scenes involving both the two above mentioned characters so I can't say that my deeper considerations of their not-free-of-flaws script, or the gripes I have against how they were written, prevented me from enjoying the angst and drama intended overall.

Liked the music, the camerawork and direction. And LOVED the scenario.
Just admitting that after I had completed the drama that I was compelled to rewatch the thing over again (though of course with a lot of fast-forwarding and skipping all the scenes that don't involve the leads) is enough proof how I enjoyed it.

I totally recommend this drama to anyone who enjoys a bit of fantasy mixed up with comedy, and a little spice of drama and thriller.

hardpliers
Aug 19, 2017
Another great drama from a spectacular writer!

The Legend of the Blue Sea is probably one of the greatest multi-genre drama series out there. Starting from the fantasy genre that all of the kids grew up with, continuing with romance, comedy and thriller all throughout the show. The cinematography was superb, especially when shooting historical locations and scenes. The story is pretty much straightforward, however, it lacked some originality, especially towards the end.
I enjoyed the cast of the drama a lot. Wasn't a fan of Lee Min Ho actually, but his acting was ridiculously good. I wouldn't imagine any other actor playing his character. The main and side characters made me fall in love with them as well. Furthermore, I want to put a huge emphasis on the fashion that the stylists chose for this drama. The clothing items were an eye candy for me and an inspiration.

Definitely a drama to come back to after a couple of years. It's magical, romantic and very fresh. Big applause for the directors, creators, actors and the staff, they did an amazing job!

Andy
Jul 16, 2017
This is my first of Lee Min Ho, yes you've read it right. Inspite of loving KoreanDrama since 2009, I've watched lee min ho for the first time(2017). I did not hate lee min ho, but he came out too famous to start with and I was not fond of going with the hype and so i skipped his dramas. hihi. And then decided to watch him out of curiosity. For some reasons,watching him in this drama gives me an impression that he is a good person. His acting is not superb and I am too familiar with his face, but I found him charming because of his height and gestures after watching him. I'm planning on watchign his other dramas next. About the drama, I enjoyed the shallowness, the humor, the atmosphere, the location shoots, the suspense, anger,lonliness,regrets, love that were all not to a deep extent but just enough for me to be entertained, to be fluttered, to laugh to cry. I enjoyed the drama from start to finish!

Jun 6, 2017
Interesting story, only too long... Legend of the blue sea is about a mermaid who fells in love with a con man, after meeting him in Spain, and decides to find him in Seoul. However, she had erased his memory beforehand and so he can't remember her. Meanwhile, the drama shows the love story between the two main characters in a different era and how they have now reincarnated into the present lovers. I divide this drama into three parts, the first one which is the interesting one, the second one which is the romantic one and the last one that was kind of boring and more family drama like. The plus points for this drama are the performances, especially from the leading lady. She was really good and funny pretending to be a creature from the sea learning the human behaviour and way of living. The chemistry, however, between the two leads was weak...The family drama was interesting and the step mother\villain was really the ideal villain type that you want to see behind bars. Of course, when the family drama started progressing, the romance and the mermaid affairs got the second lead. And though it was entertaining, the last few episodes could have been combined into one and that would have made this drama perfect. However, they just prolonged the story by adding constant flash backs again and again which was tiring. So, 4 out of 10.