Kuzu no Honkai

RandomShell
May 9, 2017
Rated this 7/10

... Because a drama educating adolescens on love and loneliness in high school, can't score higher.

7/10 is not a bad rating and I did not dislike this drama. Honestly it was very entertaining to watch and it was very well made. The actors did an incredible job despite being so young and I have great respect for them, since they pulled off the "Mature" tag without making it seem trashy or unrealistic.

Before watching this drama you should prepare for:

sexual scenes (Underwear, over the bra touching, covered up sex scenes, making out, and other mature content.)

A lot of inside dialogue

Lesbian love

High schoolers making countless mistakes and being generally butter brained.

The feels.
This drama will not make you cry but since it is a Jdrama, don't expect things to go the way you want them. This is basically a drama showing how people grow with time and experience. YOU WILL FEEL FRUSTRATION

It was very well made, so if you have nothing against the things listed above, I think you should take your time to watch this. It will be a nice memory and each episode is only about 23 minutes long. Nothing to lose and it will surely be an experience.

ENJOY!

Phoebe
May 18, 2017
This drama is very complicated in every aspect. It caught me off guard because it's too heavy for a high school drama compared to the high school korean dramas I have watched. Nevertheless, I like it because it brings focus to sensitive issues that adults consider trivial--such as dealing with the first love. Adults usually trivialize the feeling of loneliness of an unrequited first love but this j-drama reminds the viewers the uncertainty and awkwardness of first love. More than the love line, this drama shows the youth a great lesson about finding yourself first before anything and that it's okay not to have your life figured out yet.

Sweet craft Dreamer
May 8, 2017
Some warnings in advance:
- DO NOT WATCH THIS IN PUBLIC
- please be old enough - AT LEAST 17 to say
- there may be too many intimate scenes for some to enjoy the story of it.

Mini review for this series - this series is really hard to review without annoying either extreme views on it.

Story: Really doesn't hold back conveying the bitterness of romance. A really good change for someone who usually watches fluffy romances comedies which make single people sad. Although it can be considered a bit extreme and exaggeration, the story will 150% take you on an emotional rollercoaster with sleepless nights. (I could say that it was slightly weird for high school students to be doing so, cause whoa times have changed if you're doing that in high-school)

Acting/Cast: I feel like these actors did a great job of getting the feelings across, being quite real most of the time. Seeing actors you've seen before in fluffy dramas makes the story seem all the more horrifying. They managed to pass the 20-something-year-olds as high school students, so that was good.

Music: This was well done. But not really a selling point for the drama. It was never overwhelming, accompanying the scenes very well.

Rewatch value: So far, I've watched this thing twice to really judge things like acting and music. There are some scenes which can just get too boring when rewatching though. Plus the emotional trip this puts this through won't make you want to watch it again. Because with only go, THIS WILL STICK WITH YOU

Overall: it is difficult to say that I enjoyed it, but I won't be forgetting it any time soon for sure.

silent_whispers
Jul 31, 2017
So this is one that I needed time to think on. Apparently lots of time. I have very mixed feelings about this series. It's a tale of unrequited love gone very, very wrong. It went some crazy places and led me to some dark twists. Then kind of backed off from the edge. Many will be happy for the happy ending. Which is what I will call it. At least for one character for sure.

At times there were very realistic looks into the characters. Such as Mugi and Hanna being able to go . . . pretty far. Then Hanna realizes that just because they are both cursed to feel unrequited love they aren't really close. There's many layers, so many messed up characters. HOWEVER. The drama introduces them but never truly pushes the envelope to its fullest potential.

This drama is pretty dirty, at least dirtier than most K-drama viewers are going to be used to. So heads up. That said this isn't shockingly so if you have seen American TV.

Sometimes the acting was very cheesy. Others very potent. Yoshimoto Miyu as Hana often seemed off at first, but the more episodes past she was brilliant. Especially as she confronts herself in her mind about the choices she makes. Mugi seemed to be a pretty flat character, so I don't really think the actor had much to work with. Sarii Ikegami as Ebato was truly a surprise to me. She played it so well. Oh, and the Akane character was well done. Talk about creepy smiles. Yikes!

This drama captured my attention from episode 1. Sadly by the end it kind of took standard tropes to an (supposedly) unconventional tale, and instead of delivering the ending of shock. It petered up and wrapped things up pretty tamely. Which I won't lie, in the long run probably was the right choice for it.

In the end this drama was both thrilling and boring. A strange thing to find myself saying after all.

Sabrina
Oct 19, 2017
I didn't expect a very bold action on 1st episode. It surprised me that someone ( writer) came up with this story line. Very brave and unusual.
Plot twist at the end makes my heart broken.(*Because I always in a K-drama plot) This drama turns me to think seriously about Love and sex from Japanese point of view. It's kind of different from what I believe, but then I realized they're just high school students. And this kind of thing is happening for real somewhere.
This drama teach you to let go of something what doesn't belong to you in a worse way and also in a good way.

I like this drama because it's uncommon story. When you getting bored with k-drama love story, this drama is surely something new.
But be careful there is a lot of Mature content in each episodes.
A little bit boring in the middle but it's not that hard to finish it.

2xhae
Jan 4, 2019
As you may already know: The story is about two teenagers, who are dealing with their broken heart. I'm a teenager my self and even though the way they are dealing with their unrequited love is not right (and adults watching this j-drama may think that it's unrealistic) I have to admit that times have changed and that's how school society works these days.

What I liked:
Although this is an asian drama the directors didn't sugar-coat it by any meanings, It felt somehow new and fresh.
I've been looking for drama without the happy ending and i found it in "Kuzu no Honkai". I grabbed the oppurtunity this drama gave me and i thought about how would i react if i was in this situation,
I liked the actor and actress and the way they showed their character. I liked the story line as well.

What i disliked:
Even though the drama felt new and fresh, somehow i couldn't stop thinking about what would've happened if the story was made a bit more... how should i say it? Cliché? Traditional? Nvm, you get me. By the end I was already over the deep feels and i just wanted one happy ending. And that was something new for me, because i never wanted any of the dramas i watched to end happily.

Tel
Sep 7, 2018
This is not your kawaii high-school lovers drama. This is all about dark romance stuff. If you are a light hearted rom com person, then this may not be the one for you. It has some adult scene where the characters are seen in underwear and stuff but that is needed for this story. It has hetero love and lesbian love.

The story is about two students who has unrequited love for their teachers. How they confide in and console each other while perfectly understanding and accepting each other's situation is portrayed here. It is twisted on many levels, yes. But that only makes the drama more interesting.

Kudos to the high-school student actors who handled the depth of the characters brilliantly and naturally. Not only them, I must say all the actors involved did justice to their characters.

I liked the twisted way the unrequited love was presented in this story. I loved this story and loved this drama. If you find the overused happy ending high school romance theme boring, then this may be the drama for you.

It has dark romance, slice of life, Drama. If you like something along those lines, I would definitely recommend this drama!

Note: I have not watched the anime, hence can't compare the two.