Andante

• Genres: Comedy, Romance, Youth, Drama, Melodrama
  • Rating: 15+ - Teens 15 or older

Angela
Jan 8, 2018
I am not writing this review as a crazy fangirling EXO-L, and that has not affected my opinion of this drama at all.

Story: 5/10
Andante’s story was soooo boring for me. I do have to admit that it was really realistic, but it had snail speed from beginning to end so I could never sense in which direction it was headed until the last fourth of the drama. But what should I expect? The synopsis is basically: “Getting through unfamiliar experiences, he [the MC] realizes the meaning of life and love.” This synopsis accurately sums up the entire storyline of Andante, and literally screams boring boring boring. However, Andante’s strong points come from its characters, their development, and their chemistry.

Acting/Cast: 9/10
I consider Andante’s entire line of leads to be rookie actors, and they did a pretty good job overall, in my opinion.
Let’s start with our leading man, Kai. I didn’t head into this drama with big expectations for him. He is, after all, an idol-actor, and this just his second project (after Choco Bank). While acting in Andante, Kai became humble Jongin, so if you are here for dorky Jongin, you will not be disappointed:) But since the focus is not always on Kai's character, you might find yourself staying for other things. Kai, as the naughty yet kind-hearted teenager named Shi Kyung, did an okay job. His acting was a bit shallow, and he did an okay job of portraying deeper emotions. However, Kai did seem super relaxed in his role and didn’t look as stiff as a piece of cardboard the whole time. Nothing bothered me about his acting and it didn’t affect my enjoyment of the drama, but he didn’t leave a lasting impression on me either.

Lee Ye Hyun, one of the female leads, is a rookie actor. This is fact, but I could not believe it. Ye Hyun made her character, the rebel Lee Shi Young, come alive. She could convey the emotions really well and make her character carry so much depth. Sometimes Shi Young felt like a supporting character, but at other times, I felt as if she was the main character of this drama because of the way her character stood out (it seems that every time I scroll past the cast section on this drama, Shi Young’s character would get moved up a slot haha). You might think that the way her character acts is annoying, but I feel like that makes her really realistic and relatable. I would definitely watch any future projects that she is in!

Kim Jin Kyung, the other female lead, also did pretty well for her first project, but her acting was not as memorable to me.

Characters: 9/10
This drama carries the power of making the viewer love all the characters introduced to the story. Why? Because it delves into the stories of every single character (yes, even the supporting ones), which shows the me their point of view while leaving little space for plot holes and unexplained story threads. Some time was spent on every character so that they got development, but the show doesn’t deviate from the main storyline of the MCs. All the characters were really realistic, well-written, and nicely developed.

Music: 6/10
Andante’s OST was okay. It did add a lot to the mood of the drama, but none of them were really memorable for me.

Enjoyment Level: 7/10
From episode 1 to episode 5, nothing really happened and I was about to drop this drama. But after I got past that point, the characters started developing and I enjoyed and appreciated this drama a lot more. The plot did bring down my enjoyment level by a lot since it was really slow the whole way through, and the only thing that convinced me to stay was the characters. Also, the comedy was pretty good. There was just the right amount of comedy, which helped balance out the sadder parts of this drama.

Rewatch value: 2/10
I wouldn’t really want to watch Andante again because how boring its story is, but I might come back to it one day to fall in love with all the characters again.

Conclusion: Great characters, slow plot, but not a must watch.
There were some small things that I didn’t like about this drama, but there were also other things that left a lasting impression on me. If you dig great characters, you should consider checking this out! Just get past the 5th episode and you will find yourself loving every character that you see in this drama. But if you can’t deal with a plot moving at 0.0001 miles per hour no matter how lovable the characters are, then it might be best for you to skip on this one:)

Jan 12, 2018
Unfortunately, this drama was a disappointment. I'm only giving it 2 out of 10 stars because : Kai was a delight. I wasn't expecting much from him, but he really pulled it off and his performance as a carefree student who eventually changes was really good. He should play the cute, happy, outgoing guy more often. Secondly, his sister's love story was interesting and I liked her character as well. So, these two things kept me going. However, the rest were a disaster. I can't express enough how bad the editing was. We had Kai in school thinking of Bom, then, suddenly, Kai in his room calling her and next Kai in the hospital meeting her. I mean, how can someone skip a whole day in a few minutes, even if it's a drama, and not make it look wierd ? In addition, the story was okay, not anything too original to keep you entertained for long, but there was a major twist in the end, at least. Finally, the girl who played Bom was not really good with her expressions, expecially in the first episodes. She did got a bit better, but, overall, she was bad. But, I'm cutting her some sluck because it was her first acting attempt. All in all, 2 out of 10.

slicedbreadddd
Aug 8, 2018
Overall:
- I personally felt disappointed while watching the drama. The story was okay. And I'm saying that due to the rate of progression throughout the whole thing. It felt very slow, and everything was being dragged out a lot more than it needed to. Nevertheless, if you truly feel that you want to give this drama a try; I can't stop you.

- The story progressed at a very "snail-like" pace. Therefore, it was quite easy for me to lose interest in it as I watched. The plot overall was a very simple plot, so there wasn't much to expect.

Acting/Cast:
- The overall cast was well selected. Considering that for many of them, they are rookie actors. But they did a good job of portraying the characters that they played.

Rewatch Value:
- It is quite unlikely that I will watch this drama once again in the future, just mainly due to how boring it can get.

Knavery
Jan 7, 2018
A slow slice of life type show. A rural town with a hospice is the setting so you have youth clashing with death. There is nothing mysterious or suspenseful... it's slice of life.

The cast consists of three new-ish actors and an experienced surrounding cast. Kai, Kim Jin Kyung & Lee Ye Hyun being the three newcomers.
Lee Ye Hyun was the standout of the three for me. According to MDL it was her first credited performance and she was the strongest over the course of the show.
Kim Jin Kyung also seems to have her first credit in a dramatic role and she was alright.
Kai had some experience and he started strong but as the show went on I was less impressed with him, I think the writers/directors share some blame though.

The writing and directing was a subpar. It was messy to me even when you give them the benefit of the doubt and recognize slice of life can be messy but entertaining and have value. They were stringing things together in a very unconvincing ways. There have been lots of movies and shows about death and loss from South Korea and I don't think Andante stands out despite its entire focus being on those subjects.

I don't see any re-watch value. It's slow and once was enough for me. It's not a bad show but it's not a very compelling show either.

I'll end on a positive note and re-iterate that Lee Ye Hyun did a good job and I hope to see her cast in more dramas.