Are You Human Too?

lini_
Aug 8, 2018
What does humanity truly mean? What does it mean to be a human being?
This drama started with a broken-hearted mom, an AI expert, who ended up creating an android with the exact same physiognomy her son - Nam Shin - had during his stages of life and went to the point the android would have to replace human Nam Shin on account of this being the victim of an attack against his life and afterwards finding himself in a coma.
The progress in the plot of this drama happened evenly, working well in the parallel between fiction and reality. It was great to see how they made sure to explore the main point here, 'what's the meaning of being a human being?'. An AI who ended up developing pure feelings towards humans and could be more sincere and good-hearted in judgment and emotions than a human being... How could this happen?
What I truly find admirable about this whole story scenario is that they value more what we are as 'beings', our essence, than our physical feature/view/appearance - which term you feel it's the best to understand with. And you know what? Such a huge moral lesson to all of us it is! Learning how to value people in due to their feelings is more precious than giving them attention or recognition over what they look like or their social standing, studies. So, 'what does it mean to be a human being?,' I ask. What does humanity means? Are we all reduced to physical, external aspects? Does it mean to be human? Our appearance? Or our ability of freedom? Freedom of thoughts, freedom of choices... Our ability of choosing between good and evil, of feeling empathy towards other living beings, of feeling love? Of caring?
Yes, yes. The plot is not only about this. There are a bunch of other things happening again and again. There is a cutie-cutie romance, the bad guy - as always -, a full-of-heart and tots funny dad. But you know what? What truly made me fall in love with this drama wasn't only the adorable smile of a certain robot nor his pure heart, but how it made me feel like we are all so precious for whom we are. We are able to feel. And what else could be more incredible and magical than this?
By the way, before I forget to point this out, kudos to Seo Kang Jun! I almost made a voodoo doll of his human Nam Shin at certain point of the drama, but aye, aye, the guy had a golden heart at the end of the day.
PS: The OST tracks are as adorable as NS III's sweet gaze. Well done!

Amy
Aug 8, 2018
This is the drama that made me look forward to Mondays. I would rush home from work every night just to watch the live stream in raw, even though I didn’t understand Korean. That explains how much I loved this drama.

The Message
The title “Are You Human Too?” is a mockery to humans that have lost their good in humanity. A pure robot, Nam Shin III, that always thinks for others first is meant to draw a contrast to bring out the dark side of human nature, and have us reflect on what it means to be human. When I first heard about this premise, I was worried whether they would be able to deliver this message well. But this drama never failed to meet my expectations. At first glance, it may be unfair to compare a perfect robot to flawed humans, but the morale of the story is not to conclude that robots are better, it’s that humans, although flawed, should strive to become better and sometimes to humbly learn from a robot who has outgrown its owner in kindness and justice. In the story we can see characters who have been blinded by their dark sides and have forgotten about humanity. This humanity, hopefully, will be restored through Nam Shin III, who teaches these people an important life lesson about being selfless.

The Plot
This is a sci-fi drama, but it’s not the type that keeps you at the edge of your seat from the very first episode. Rather, it focuses on character relationships and how each affects the other. That being said, there are more than enough mind-blowing plot twists and shocking cliffhangers to keep us engaged. The ending of each episode had my mouth gaping in awe, as I wait another one more week to watch its resolution.

The Characters
First, I would like to give a thumbs up to Seo Kang Joon’s stellar performance acting as a robot and a human being. This is his first time starring dual roles, one of them being non-human, but he was able to differentiate the personalities really well. You could tell which was which just by looking at their subtle facial expressions.

In this drama, the villains, or more accurately the “flawed humans”, are the ones that drive the plot. Despite being a pain in the neck, these characters are inevitably 3-dimensional, each having their own backstory and motives that drive their actions. You may wish for their downfall in one moment, and pity them in another. All in all, they are realistic characters that you would understand where they are coming from no matter if you agree with them or not. It goes to show that humans have both bright and dark sides, and villains can also be victims at the same time.

The Chemistry
I really appreciate how beautiful the OTP’s relationship is. Despite not having a lot of screen time or skinship together, they have great on-screen chemistry and their bonding is amazing. Their relationship taught me about what it means to love someone, and that love isn’t a feeling or emotion, it’s a value that you live for. Nam Shin III can comprehend emotions but he can never feel them, but it doesn’t stop him from experiencing love and becoming truly like a human through breaking the boundaries of robotics.

The OST
I have most of the songs on replay, and every time a song was released I’d download it within 3 hours and listen to it. All the songs were good and fit the scenes very well. One of the songs worth noting is The Longing Dance, which really enhances the cinematic atmosphere of the drama.

This drama is recommended to people who like deep messages about humanity, love, 3-dimensional villains and a cute puppybot companion. If you don’t mind interspecies romance between a robot and a human, definitely give it a try!

Juniko
Aug 8, 2018
OVERALL : Nice summer drama, fresh and entertaining with very little thinking involved.

PART ONE Positive points(Spoiler Free):

1- The Plot was enjoyable with an original start that makes me curious.
2- The comedy worked, it made the drama entertaining.
3- The romance was light and fresh, and made me want to keep watching even though I knew this was not going to be a serious drama.
4- The last episode even made me cry, mostly because I grew attached to the characters and didn't want to leave them.

PART TWO : Negative points (Minor Spoilers to explain my points)

1 - They chose to play the good twin/evil twin card to avoid really going into the subject of :
a- Robot /human romance (like: is sex even happening? Do we just assume she's asexual? Does she really want to be with someone that will never physically desire her?)
b- the change society would undergo if an AI truly tried to obtain human rights or manage a human workteam (let alone a company).

2 - They Resolved every possible crisis by way of Deus Ex Machina (solutions that come from nowhere and seem a little bit like cheating), but it's a sci-fi Kdrama so that's a given.
3- The robotics genius was reduced to simply being a sad and controlling mother after 2 episodes. Her brilland brain left the boat once the plot was introduced. Then she became unsufferable (to me at least)

kdramabinger
Aug 10, 2018
I never though I would root and cry for any AI to ever exist. Being a fan of sci-fi, i have seen a lot of shows and movies where advanced AI tries to overpower human being and that's what my mentality was when I set out to watch this show. And boy was I wrong!

This show is above your average sci-fi show, gracefully entwining the elements of suspense and romance. The story pace is always thrilling and keep you on edge, making you want to watch more and more. Some things were beyond belief as we have never seen an advanced AI ever, but since it's fiction, who is to stop them from pulling a full frontal TERMINATOR in the show.

Story- The story is very well executed. It has a beautiful yet unconventional love story. If you like to think beyond what you have seen and have an open and broad mind for imagination, you will love the story line. The story is well written and I love how they made the characters more accepting about unconventional things than people are in real life. After all, these stories and shows set a benchmark for people's behavior in real life.

Acting- Seo Kang Joon is just brilliant. To portray two diverse, poles apart character traits in one show is something to commend about. His brilliant acting made me think of Human Shin and Android Nam Shin 3 as two different people, even when they were together in one frame. He playes the character of the robot so effortlessly and innocently that I rooted for his happy ending rather than anyone else's. I cried a couple of times when Namsin 3 was sad that his mother was concerned about Human Sin and not him. And I never thought I would sympathies with an android character ever. As much as I loved his robot character, i equally hated his human character.

Music- The music is passable and some songs are pretty good.

Rewatch value- I would definitely watch it again for Seo Kang Joon, if not for anyone else.

Overall- It's a must watch if you are looking for a good sci-fi show but are okay with a little suspense and romance.

diachiong
Aug 21, 2018
I anticipated this drama to come out ever since the news of it came out last year. I really had the highest expectation not only because of its high ratings but they already started filming this last year which makes it somewhat of a post production drama. I have to be honest, this drama did not lived up to the hype. With that amount of preparation I thought I was going to see epicness ala WESTWORLD. You take the robot element out of it and you're just left with another chaebol drama with cheesy romance on the side.

pros
1. I can always rely on KBS dramas to give me stunning sceneries as they love to film abroad all the time(too bad it was only for one episode)

2. Kong Seung yeon. I love a strong girl. I'm so glad that she's not a damsel in distress and not afraid to get down and dirty. love her since circle

3. Kim won hae. I mean it is KWH, the chameleon, whatever role he chooses to play he always slays it.

cons
1. everything happened too suddenly. I mean what's the rush? the meeting of the two nam shins, the reunion of the mother and son, the switch up and his fake identity getting busted.I wished they could've built up the tension a few episodes more. the storyline didn't got a chance to fully developed. it was all half baked

2. how I wish we got even just an entire episode getting to know more Nam shin 3, on how he lives his life in seclusion and how he deals with everyday life

3. I was disappointed that the plot revolved around the greed for power once again. This wasn't the drama I had in mind all this time. it's already so tiring to see the same plot over and over again even some of the actors are playing the same roles

4. I wanted SKJ to act more robotic as nam shin 3, I mean he's a robot after all. To me Chae Soo-bin (Aji-3) was more convincing as a robot (sorry I just have to compare them both)

5. how can a robot harbor such human emotions and how can a robot swim in water without malfunctioning?

6. okay let's say he was a state-of-the-art, high end and one of a kind robot then why does everyone around him acts so carelessly? his mother is an AI genius but for sure is pretty dumb when it comes to other stuffs. His identity is supposed to be top secret and he's supposed to be this fragile/precious thing however they just let him wander around freely and going on dates

7. It lacked depth and originality.The pilot episode gave me that feels but with each episode I find myself face palming more often because it's slowly turning into one of those medicore dramas

8. this was a sci-fi drama but I only got a little out of it. the first episode showed promise, I was intrigued and excited because it gave me the EX MACHINA and some BICENTENNIAL MAN vibes but the following episodes wasn't able to sustain the moment. CIRCLE and DUEL were both underrated but were far more amazing sci-fi kdrama that'll leave you at the edge of your seat every single time

This was by far the biggest disappoinment kdrama for me because with others I can already tell whether it will work or flop but with this I expected epic proportions, for a kdrama at least.

Brownie
Aug 8, 2018
I really wasn't expecting to fall in love with this drama as I tend to watch dramas with absolutely NO expectations but then the countdown began and I started to get excited the more trailers and previews I watched which all grabbed my attention. I am happy to say that I wasn't let down.

I absolutely loved the drama from beginning to end especially the romance. It didn't matter to me that Nam Shin III was infact a robot as I've seen other robot dramas with human/robot romances so its not anything weird to me. So as sci-fi with romance dramas go what else would I expect from it? I felt the leads had great chemistry especially as the drama progressed. I liked the fact that whilst there is indeed a second lead who I very much loved he wasn't your "typical" second lead. This drama made me fall for Seo Kang Joon, NS3 as well as NS. I think he did amazingly well portraying both NS and NS3. I also loved Kang So Bong's character, mostly because I saw a lot of her in her MOLS character. After the amazing character development, I loved her even more if that's at all possible.

The music for me fits perfectly with this drama, I love each and every song especially Kang Joon's one.
This drama is definitely rewatchable for me seeing as I've already rewatched it 12 times....not that I'm obsessed or anything. lol :D

I recommend this drama to those who enjoy robot/human romances because its been brought to my attention that a lot of people weren't happy about this but we each have our own individual preferences. Next, if you enjoy sci-fi, action, comedy then this drama is for you. Just make sure you have tissue because I honestly couldn't control myself.

Kang Ji Hyo
Jul 10, 2018
Fantastic storyline and excellent actors....have been watching it on repeat...I am in love with robot Nam Shin (Every girl's crush and ideal husband)
The robot posesses all the qualities that a human should..which unfortunately doesnt exist anymore among humans like honesty, kindness, courage, empathy which makes the robot attractive and charming????
Seo Kang Joon never dissappoints with his perfect acting skills....He perfectly acts differently for two versions of the same character
Unlike other dramas about robot , i like the fact that this robot is similar to humans at the same time he also has robotic powers..
Technology is protrayed at its best
I am glad Go-Ara refused the role for the lead actress because the present actress matches perfectly with Seo Kang Joon in looks and acting
Music by VIXX is the best ost of this drama
I am going to miss this drama after it ends????
I hope it achieves the highest rating for 2018

Minesa
Aug 8, 2018
at first the drama was very engaging. the chemistry btween the leads was awesome. The story warm and exciting. I waited every monday and thursday for new episodes with patience.
the second part when Human Nam Shin woke up, it was also nice especially the surprises of the grandpa. I loved it !!
my only problem was the end really rushed and lacked explanations. Especially the robot tears at the end i didn't get it. I m sad that after all the effort put into it turned into a bad managed end.
The acting is just WAAAW completely incredible.
KearaMH
Aug 8, 2018
"Are You Human, Too?" is a very unique drama. South Korea doesn’t do sci-fi, so for this drama to come in, guns blazing, is rather impressive. Still, it has a lot of flaws. I recommend it, for sure, but don’t expect a masterpiece.

If there’s any word to describe the story, it’s “creative”. It doesn’t have the best structure, nor the best pacing, but it’s definitely very interesting. I couldn’t get enough of it, even when it presented logical errors or inconsistencies. The inconsistencies bothered me, yes, but they don’t ruin the show. If you’re experienced with KDramas and you want something a little different, this drama definitely fills that role. There’s some needless fluff here and there and the romance comes off more as a deep friendship, but still, it’s a lot of fun to watch.

I think that this show’s strongest asset is its interesting cast of characters. Not only are all the characters unique in their own right, but the way they all interact with each other is special, too. The stark contrast between human-Shin and robo-Shin is especially impressive and well-executed. I loved whenever they were on screen together. Their interactions presented some of the most tense, entertaining parts of the show. I also adored Young Hoon and his chemistry with both Nam Shin and NS3. Young Hoon was such an intriguing character and I wish he’d played an even bigger role in the show. I know a lot of people dropped this show because Kang So Bong is annoying at the beginning (which she is), but once the show starts to pick up, she becomes a character worth giving a hoot about, and she has really good chemistry with robo-Shin.

Not only did I love the characters, but I loved the actors playing them. This is a very talented cast, with special props going to Seo Kang Joon. He played two very different characters flawlessly. You could always tell which Shin was which, even when they were pretending to be each other. I really didn’t expect him to do so well. I also really liked Yoo Oh Sung as the main villain. He’s got the perfect face and voice for villainy and I love seeing him. He excelled as Seo Jong Gil, for sure. I wasn’t as impressed with Gong Seung Yeon, but her character was a bit flat anyway, so I’ll blame the writing, not her. The rest of the cast was very good, too. I loved how everyone had chemistry with everyone else.

The music is nothing to call home about. Not bad, but certainly not all that impressive. Some songs are pretty, but I think in general the OST is flat. I wish it had leaned a bit further into a more science-fiction-y sound.

I will not rewatch this show. I feel like once one knows the twists, the show is not enjoyable anymore. I think it would feel too same-y on a second watch-through.

I do recommend this drama, for sure. This is one of only a few dramas that I have watched while it was airing, and I was always so excited for new episodes to be subbed. Flaws aside, it’s very enjoyable and I hope that more KDramas experiment with sci-fi.

Aug 19, 2018
Are you human too? seemed to have an unusual theme for a k drama and yet it can't help but fall for the classic k drama tap of rich family trying to keep their company from the mean share holders. The first part of the drama was actually good and interesting, as the robot was getting to know the human world, while hiding his true identity from the others around him. However, the second part was kind of boring. Everything that should happen in a chaebol drama actually happened. Spiced up with the robot theme of course. And the ending was kind of a let down. I mean, she fell for a robot and no one questioned it or at least raised some good points regarding the problems in their relationship. Anyway, other than those, the drama had some solid performances and the soundtrack was decent. So, 5 out of 10.

shruti7890
Jul 26, 2018
There’s no words to describe this drama. I highly recommend this to those who want to see cute drama that makes your heart flutter! I was immediately interested when reading the plot. I told myself I’d wait until the drama was completed. As you can tell I didn’t wait. This drama’s really fresh from any other I’ve seen but not sure how it compares to I Am Not A Robot.

Another reason why I wanted to watch this was for Seo Kang Joon. <3 He’s my favorite actor now. His acting is remarkable especially since he’s playing a role of a human and a robot and it’s extremely hard to step into the shoes of two different characters like that. Like sometimes in other movies the double role characters have some kind of physical difference like hair or glasses but that’s not the case here so Seo Kang Joon did a great job showing a distinct expressions and carried out his roles perfectly. I found myself falling in love the Robot character. To summarize his acting in one word : mindblowing!

As for the story, the drama gets you hooked on the first episode. Most people would expect a lot science to be involved but I honestly think they showed more about human relationships and how Nam Shin, the robot, is stumbling upon different kinds of people. You will see how Nam Shin figures out more about himself while meeting the right people also while having to live as someone else. The drama is teaching a lot about how you have the power to make your own choice in a situation and not follow what someone tells you to do but act by your beliefs.

The music is literally so amazing and beautiful. The OST really adds to the feels of the situation. I’m playing them over n repeat that’s much I love them! Once I started watching this drama there was never a moment I regretted starting it. I’m taking summer courses so I hate when the week starts but omg I love Mondays and Tuesday because I can watch this drama but I wish they can come faster.

Please please watch this! I understand everyone has their own opinions and likes but I just wanted to share my experiences with this drama. It might not be for everyone but please try it out!

Ttanveer14
Aug 9, 2018
I'm not usually a fan of suspenseful sci-fi dramas like these, but I loved this! The show did a good job of creating three-dimensional characters with both flaws and redeeming qualities. I have so much respect for an actor who can play two completely different characters in the same show; Seo Kang-joon did a phenomenal job. I was similarly impressed with the character Ji Young Hoon, played by Lee Joon Hyuk. I usually hate the loyal henchman character, but he kept it fascinating.

While I wouldn't listen to the soundtrack outside of watching the show, this is one of the few K-dramas I have watched where I felt the music was spot on for each dramatic moment. Everything was carefully orchestrated for each mood. The plot was always thrilling, with actual twists and turns that I did not expect. I would say that the justifications for some of those plot twists were a bit shaky, but I was kept from losing interest by the way that the plot actually helped to develop the characters, their motivations, and their backstories. I generally hate suspenseful dramas because they usually have twists that do not reveal anything about the characters, but this was a refreshing change.

At the most basic level, I would say that this drama's strength is really its characters and its acting. I have never seen a K drama make me sympathize with so many "villains" and doubt so many "heroes."