Are You Human Too? (2018) poster

Amy
Aug 8, 2018
This is the drama that made me look forward to Mondays. I would rush home from work every night just to watch the live stream in raw, even though I didn’t understand Korean. That explains how much I loved this drama.

The Message
The title “Are You Human Too?” is a mockery to humans that have lost their good in humanity. A pure robot, Nam Shin III, that always thinks for others first is meant to draw a contrast to bring out the dark side of human nature, and have us reflect on what it means to be human. When I first heard about this premise, I was worried whether they would be able to deliver this message well. But this drama never failed to meet my expectations. At first glance, it may be unfair to compare a perfect robot to flawed humans, but the morale of the story is not to conclude that robots are better, it’s that humans, although flawed, should strive to become better and sometimes to humbly learn from a robot who has outgrown its owner in kindness and justice. In the story we can see characters who have been blinded by their dark sides and have forgotten about humanity. This humanity, hopefully, will be restored through Nam Shin III, who teaches these people an important life lesson about being selfless.

The Plot
This is a sci-fi drama, but it’s not the type that keeps you at the edge of your seat from the very first episode. Rather, it focuses on character relationships and how each affects the other. That being said, there are more than enough mind-blowing plot twists and shocking cliffhangers to keep us engaged. The ending of each episode had my mouth gaping in awe, as I wait another one more week to watch its resolution.

The Characters
First, I would like to give a thumbs up to Seo Kang Joon’s stellar performance acting as a robot and a human being. This is his first time starring dual roles, one of them being non-human, but he was able to differentiate the personalities really well. You could tell which was which just by looking at their subtle facial expressions.

In this drama, the villains, or more accurately the “flawed humans”, are the ones that drive the plot. Despite being a pain in the neck, these characters are inevitably 3-dimensional, each having their own backstory and motives that drive their actions. You may wish for their downfall in one moment, and pity them in another. All in all, they are realistic characters that you would understand where they are coming from no matter if you agree with them or not. It goes to show that humans have both bright and dark sides, and villains can also be victims at the same time.

The Chemistry
I really appreciate how beautiful the OTP’s relationship is. Despite not having a lot of screen time or skinship together, they have great on-screen chemistry and their bonding is amazing. Their relationship taught me about what it means to love someone, and that love isn’t a feeling or emotion, it’s a value that you live for. Nam Shin III can comprehend emotions but he can never feel them, but it doesn’t stop him from experiencing love and becoming truly like a human through breaking the boundaries of robotics.

The OST
I have most of the songs on replay, and every time a song was released I’d download it within 3 hours and listen to it. All the songs were good and fit the scenes very well. One of the songs worth noting is The Longing Dance, which really enhances the cinematic atmosphere of the drama.

This drama is recommended to people who like deep messages about humanity, love, 3-dimensional villains and a cute puppybot companion. If you don’t mind interspecies romance between a robot and a human, definitely give it a try!

Brownie
Aug 8, 2018
I really wasn't expecting to fall in love with this drama as I tend to watch dramas with absolutely NO expectations but then the countdown began and I started to get excited the more trailers and previews I watched which all grabbed my attention. I am happy to say that I wasn't let down.

I absolutely loved the drama from beginning to end especially the romance. It didn't matter to me that Nam Shin III was infact a robot as I've seen other robot dramas with human/robot romances so its not anything weird to me. So as sci-fi with romance dramas go what else would I expect from it? I felt the leads had great chemistry especially as the drama progressed. I liked the fact that whilst there is indeed a second lead who I very much loved he wasn't your "typical" second lead. This drama made me fall for Seo Kang Joon, NS3 as well as NS. I think he did amazingly well portraying both NS and NS3. I also loved Kang So Bong's character, mostly because I saw a lot of her in her MOLS character. After the amazing character development, I loved her even more if that's at all possible.

The music for me fits perfectly with this drama, I love each and every song especially Kang Joon's one.
This drama is definitely rewatchable for me seeing as I've already rewatched it 12 times....not that I'm obsessed or anything. lol :D

I recommend this drama to those who enjoy robot/human romances because its been brought to my attention that a lot of people weren't happy about this but we each have our own individual preferences. Next, if you enjoy sci-fi, action, comedy then this drama is for you. Just make sure you have tissue because I honestly couldn't control myself.

kdramabinger
Aug 10, 2018
I never though I would root and cry for any AI to ever exist. Being a fan of sci-fi, i have seen a lot of shows and movies where advanced AI tries to overpower human being and that's what my mentality was when I set out to watch this show. And boy was I wrong!

This show is above your average sci-fi show, gracefully entwining the elements of suspense and romance. The story pace is always thrilling and keep you on edge, making you want to watch more and more. Some things were beyond belief as we have never seen an advanced AI ever, but since it's fiction, who is to stop them from pulling a full frontal TERMINATOR in the show.

Story- The story is very well executed. It has a beautiful yet unconventional love story. If you like to think beyond what you have seen and have an open and broad mind for imagination, you will love the story line. The story is well written and I love how they made the characters more accepting about unconventional things than people are in real life. After all, these stories and shows set a benchmark for people's behavior in real life.

Acting- Seo Kang Joon is just brilliant. To portray two diverse, poles apart character traits in one show is something to commend about. His brilliant acting made me think of Human Shin and Android Nam Shin 3 as two different people, even when they were together in one frame. He playes the character of the robot so effortlessly and innocently that I rooted for his happy ending rather than anyone else's. I cried a couple of times when Namsin 3 was sad that his mother was concerned about Human Sin and not him. And I never thought I would sympathies with an android character ever. As much as I loved his robot character, i equally hated his human character.

Music- The music is passable and some songs are pretty good.

Rewatch value- I would definitely watch it again for Seo Kang Joon, if not for anyone else.

Overall- It's a must watch if you are looking for a good sci-fi show but are okay with a little suspense and romance.

Juniko
Aug 8, 2018
OVERALL : Nice summer drama, fresh and entertaining with very little thinking involved.

PART ONE Positive points(Spoiler Free):

1- The Plot was enjoyable with an original start that makes me curious.
2- The comedy worked, it made the drama entertaining.
3- The romance was light and fresh, and made me want to keep watching even though I knew this was not going to be a serious drama.
4- The last episode even made me cry, mostly because I grew attached to the characters and didn't want to leave them.

PART TWO : Negative points (Minor Spoilers to explain my points)

1 - They chose to play the good twin/evil twin card to avoid really going into the subject of :
a- Robot /human romance (like: is sex even happening? Do we just assume she's asexual? Does she really want to be with someone that will never physically desire her?)
b- the change society would undergo if an AI truly tried to obtain human rights or manage a human workteam (let alone a company).

2 - They Resolved every possible crisis by way of Deus Ex Machina (solutions that come from nowhere and seem a little bit like cheating), but it's a sci-fi Kdrama so that's a given.
3- The robotics genius was reduced to simply being a sad and controlling mother after 2 episodes. Her brilland brain left the boat once the plot was introduced. Then she became unsufferable (to me at least)

KearaMH
Aug 8, 2018
"Are You Human, Too?" is a very unique drama. South Korea doesn’t do sci-fi, so for this drama to come in, guns blazing, is rather impressive. Still, it has a lot of flaws. I recommend it, for sure, but don’t expect a masterpiece.

If there’s any word to describe the story, it’s “creative”. It doesn’t have the best structure, nor the best pacing, but it’s definitely very interesting. I couldn’t get enough of it, even when it presented logical errors or inconsistencies. The inconsistencies bothered me, yes, but they don’t ruin the show. If you’re experienced with KDramas and you want something a little different, this drama definitely fills that role. There’s some needless fluff here and there and the romance comes off more as a deep friendship, but still, it’s a lot of fun to watch.

I think that this show’s strongest asset is its interesting cast of characters. Not only are all the characters unique in their own right, but the way they all interact with each other is special, too. The stark contrast between human-Shin and robo-Shin is especially impressive and well-executed. I loved whenever they were on screen together. Their interactions presented some of the most tense, entertaining parts of the show. I also adored Young Hoon and his chemistry with both Nam Shin and NS3. Young Hoon was such an intriguing character and I wish he’d played an even bigger role in the show. I know a lot of people dropped this show because Kang So Bong is annoying at the beginning (which she is), but once the show starts to pick up, she becomes a character worth giving a hoot about, and she has really good chemistry with robo-Shin.

Not only did I love the characters, but I loved the actors playing them. This is a very talented cast, with special props going to Seo Kang Joon. He played two very different characters flawlessly. You could always tell which Shin was which, even when they were pretending to be each other. I really didn’t expect him to do so well. I also really liked Yoo Oh Sung as the main villain. He’s got the perfect face and voice for villainy and I love seeing him. He excelled as Seo Jong Gil, for sure. I wasn’t as impressed with Gong Seung Yeon, but her character was a bit flat anyway, so I’ll blame the writing, not her. The rest of the cast was very good, too. I loved how everyone had chemistry with everyone else.

The music is nothing to call home about. Not bad, but certainly not all that impressive. Some songs are pretty, but I think in general the OST is flat. I wish it had leaned a bit further into a more science-fiction-y sound.

I will not rewatch this show. I feel like once one knows the twists, the show is not enjoyable anymore. I think it would feel too same-y on a second watch-through.

I do recommend this drama, for sure. This is one of only a few dramas that I have watched while it was airing, and I was always so excited for new episodes to be subbed. Flaws aside, it’s very enjoyable and I hope that more KDramas experiment with sci-fi.

diachiong
Aug 21, 2018
I anticipated this drama to come out ever since the news of it came out last year. I really had the highest expectation not only because of its high ratings but they already started filming this last year which makes it somewhat of a post production drama. I have to be honest, this drama did not lived up to the hype. With that amount of preparation I thought I was going to see epicness ala WESTWORLD. You take the robot element out of it and you're just left with another chaebol drama with cheesy romance on the side.

pros
1. I can always rely on KBS dramas to give me stunning sceneries as they love to film abroad all the time(too bad it was only for one episode)

2. Kong Seung yeon. I love a strong girl. I'm so glad that she's not a damsel in distress and not afraid to get down and dirty. love her since circle

3. Kim won hae. I mean it is KWH, the chameleon, whatever role he chooses to play he always slays it.

cons
1. everything happened too suddenly. I mean what's the rush? the meeting of the two nam shins, the reunion of the mother and son, the switch up and his fake identity getting busted.I wished they could've built up the tension a few episodes more. the storyline didn't got a chance to fully developed. it was all half baked

2. how I wish we got even just an entire episode getting to know more Nam shin 3, on how he lives his life in seclusion and how he deals with everyday life

3. I was disappointed that the plot revolved around the greed for power once again. This wasn't the drama I had in mind all this time. it's already so tiring to see the same plot over and over again even some of the actors are playing the same roles

4. I wanted SKJ to act more robotic as nam shin 3, I mean he's a robot after all. To me Chae Soo-bin (Aji-3) was more convincing as a robot (sorry I just have to compare them both)

5. how can a robot harbor such human emotions and how can a robot swim in water without malfunctioning?

6. okay let's say he was a state-of-the-art, high end and one of a kind robot then why does everyone around him acts so carelessly? his mother is an AI genius but for sure is pretty dumb when it comes to other stuffs. His identity is supposed to be top secret and he's supposed to be this fragile/precious thing however they just let him wander around freely and going on dates

7. It lacked depth and originality.The pilot episode gave me that feels but with each episode I find myself face palming more often because it's slowly turning into one of those medicore dramas

8. this was a sci-fi drama but I only got a little out of it. the first episode showed promise, I was intrigued and excited because it gave me the EX MACHINA and some BICENTENNIAL MAN vibes but the following episodes wasn't able to sustain the moment. CIRCLE and DUEL were both underrated but were far more amazing sci-fi kdrama that'll leave you at the edge of your seat every single time

This was by far the biggest disappoinment kdrama for me because with others I can already tell whether it will work or flop but with this I expected epic proportions, for a kdrama at least.

Kang Ji Hyo
Jul 10, 2018
Fantastic storyline and excellent actors....have been watching it on repeat...I am in love with robot Nam Shin (Every girl's crush and ideal husband)
The robot posesses all the qualities that a human should..which unfortunately doesnt exist anymore among humans like honesty, kindness, courage, empathy which makes the robot attractive and charming????
Seo Kang Joon never dissappoints with his perfect acting skills....He perfectly acts differently for two versions of the same character
Unlike other dramas about robot , i like the fact that this robot is similar to humans at the same time he also has robotic powers..
Technology is protrayed at its best
I am glad Go-Ara refused the role for the lead actress because the present actress matches perfectly with Seo Kang Joon in looks and acting
Music by VIXX is the best ost of this drama
I am going to miss this drama after it ends????
I hope it achieves the highest rating for 2018

shruti7890
Jul 26, 2018
There’s no words to describe this drama. I highly recommend this to those who want to see cute drama that makes your heart flutter! I was immediately interested when reading the plot. I told myself I’d wait until the drama was completed. As you can tell I didn’t wait. This drama’s really fresh from any other I’ve seen but not sure how it compares to I Am Not A Robot.

Another reason why I wanted to watch this was for Seo Kang Joon. <3 He’s my favorite actor now. His acting is remarkable especially since he’s playing a role of a human and a robot and it’s extremely hard to step into the shoes of two different characters like that. Like sometimes in other movies the double role characters have some kind of physical difference like hair or glasses but that’s not the case here so Seo Kang Joon did a great job showing a distinct expressions and carried out his roles perfectly. I found myself falling in love the Robot character. To summarize his acting in one word : mindblowing!

As for the story, the drama gets you hooked on the first episode. Most people would expect a lot science to be involved but I honestly think they showed more about human relationships and how Nam Shin, the robot, is stumbling upon different kinds of people. You will see how Nam Shin figures out more about himself while meeting the right people also while having to live as someone else. The drama is teaching a lot about how you have the power to make your own choice in a situation and not follow what someone tells you to do but act by your beliefs.

The music is literally so amazing and beautiful. The OST really adds to the feels of the situation. I’m playing them on repeat because that’s much I love them! Once I started watching this drama there was never a moment I regretted starting it. I’m taking summer courses so I hate when the week starts but omg I love Mondays and Tuesday because I can watch this drama but I wish they can come faster.

Please please watch this! I understand everyone has their own opinions and likes but I just wanted to share my experiences with this drama. It might not be for everyone but please try it out!

Minesa
Aug 8, 2018
at first the drama was very engaging. the chemistry btween the leads was awesome. The story warm and exciting. I waited every monday and thursday for new episodes with patience.
the second part when Human Nam Shin woke up, it was also nice especially the surprises of the grandpa. I loved it !!
my only problem was the end really rushed and lacked explanations. Especially the robot tears at the end i didn't get it. I m sad that after all the effort put into it turned into a bad managed end.
The acting is just WAAAW completely incredible.
Kate will die for DoHwa
Aug 8, 2018
Depending on what kind of drama you want to watch, it can either be miss or hit. If you want a nice romance with plot, that for most part make sense, this one will make you happy. If you are big fan of sci fi and that's the reason you want to watch it: it might not meet your expectations. This drama definitely have more good, than bad aspects.
To the good ones:
> likable characters with realistic flaws. Majority of their motivations make sense and we can clearly put ourselves in their position. Some characters are better developed than others, but the focus on the important ones is rather the good thing. The fact we have so many characters that are in a gray area is refreshing. Many dramas would rather have a clear cut with good and bad guys.
> the romance itself. If you like fluff and cute stuff, this will be one of the nicest things you have seen. You can clearly see the chemistry between leads, there isn't any unnecessary love triangle. It's hard to describe the growth of emotions in therms of Nam Shin 3, but we can clearly see that in our human protagonist So Bong. How her relationship with NS3 develops and how slowly her feelings change. The acceptance she loved robot and not human was nicely presented.
> cinematography. Being a person who values the visuals of the dramas, I must say this one was extremely pleasing to watch. It was nicely shot .
> the emotional aspect: basically this drama is good at 'playing' with your emotions. In a good way. The pace is good and they don't randomly change from sad to funny scenes. Because the characters are gripping, you can easily empathize with them which makes the watching that much more enjoyable.

As for the things I didn't like or was not convince of:
> The villains. I truly loved what they did with Nam Gun Ho. The way he played people around him to be played at the end. That said, the true main bad guy of the drama disappointed me. His motivations did not make much sense. They tried to frame him as a heartless person but then introduced some scenes clearly showing that he is not as bad as portrayed and even he wants to protects people important to him. It wasn't consistent.
> the romance: while for a fluff part it was amazing, I believe they did not explore the robot-human relationship to the full potential. There are many questions that they kind of introduced but never delivered any answer. How will society react to that relationship? Will So Bong be happy with a robot that will might never truly love her back? Why they never talked about getting old and how will they work it out? What will happen to Nam Shin 3 after So Bong dies? Is So Bong going to be okay without any intimate relationship? The relationship was cute but the plot commentary about it could have been deeper.
> Real Nam Shin (SMALL SPOILERS) . How much I loved his character and how much I did not want the writers to give him quick last minute redemption arc . After all the bad deeds he did, we don't really see much change to his character. In stead of showing us aftermath of his decisions we get 'one year later' with him being fine and everyone accepting him. No true apology, no reflection on what his choices brought on people he claimed to care about. The writers were so fixated on giving us happy ending they did not stop for a second to think if it will make much sense taking into consideration the whole plot of the drama.
> Ending. IF for you getting happy ending is the most important part, you won't be disappointed. IF you rather have bitter sweet ending that would fit the plot and be consistent with characters, this might make you angry. The last ten minutes of the drama presents even more questions than all the preview episodes, and gives no answers. We don't know what happens with majority of side characters. Don't know what will happen to M-City. How the legal aspects of the plot were resolved? Why only few of bad people, and those who broke the law were punished for it? How is society dealing with the AI being a real thing? I can;t say more without massive spoilers. I just say the ending was a big plot hole.
> Unresolved moral and social issues: I would have no problem with drama not dealing with those deep problems IF they weren't introduced in it. But they were, so they should be explored more. When the robot is not just a robot? How human the robot must be? Is being conscious enough? Do you need to be able to feel emotions too? Another EXTREMELY interesting plot point that was not explored at all: is the creator responsible for everything their creation do? If said creation is self conscious can the creator control all aspects of its life? How far the free will can go? What is free will? The whole sci fi aspect of drama, instead of driving drama forward, was just a plot device to push the romance forward.
> ignoring characters traits when they are not necessary for the plot and forgiving characters without a reason: So Bong is a fighter, EXTREMELY good one. Former athlete, currently bodyguard. And it's all ignored later in drama. She does not fight, defend herself. The whole skill set is simply non existing. Reporter Jo is another character that has no place in the drama. She is suppose to be a fun friend of So Bong, but is she really? She kept getting everyone into trouble, manipulated them and using So Bong for her own profit. The fact that So Bong kept her as a friend till the end is irrational. I already stated my problems with real Nam Shin.

OVERALL if you are searching for romance driven drama with emotional baggage that is not oo heavy: go for it and you will LOVE it. If you want more of a sci fi: give it a try for few episodes, but don't have high expectations. This drama presents many amazing dilemmas but never explore any of them, and that was the biggest problem I had.

3GGG
PLOT: Interesting & fluid, but with a rushed ending
--------------------------------------------------------------
I picked this show up worried by some of the comments and articles I've read about it. Fortunately, the drama was fun and was almost always consistent (more about this in the "overall" portion).

The story invites us to watch Android Nam Shin III's interaction with humans, asking us to consider what makes us human. Is it our biology or is our humanity measured by a set of values and /or a righteous moral compass? To add to the complexity, we're then reminded that our nature is not set in stone as each character is presented with their own demon to either slay or be conquered by. From those driven by ambition to those trying to find a place in the world, their mix of strengths and weaknesses results in three-dimensional characters learning to navigate an interesting plot.

ANDROID NAM SHIN III: Consistent & well-developed
--------------------------------------------------------------
Android Nam Shin III (ANM3 for short and played by Seo Kang Joon) is the heart of the show and the star of the story. His role is integral to the narrative and it's his interactions with the rest of the cast that push the narrative forward.

Given that this is a sci-fi show, I'd braced myself for a truckload of inconsistencies. Thankfully my fears were unwarranted since the writers set proper rules for ANM3 and, even better, consistently followed them.

A key to understanding ANS3 is to remember that, as his name implies, he's not just a robot but an "Artificially Intelligent Android". So while Robots are programmable and usually capable of autonomous or semi-autonomous action, an AI Android is a robot with a human appearance controlled by a program that mimics human intelligence. In AI, an algorithm is "trained" to respond to a particular input in a certain way by using known inputs and outputs.

So it's important to regard ANM3's rules as "moral guidelines" and not "rigid commands". Meaning that it's still ANM3's decision whether to follow them or not. This allows room for judgments, alterations, and self-improvement (the last of which is an integral part of his character design).

OTHER MAIN CHARACTERS: Interesting & complex
--------------------------------------------------------------
Kang So Bong (female lead played by Gong Seung Yeon): She's a strong, well-rounded and consistent character. She wasn't introduced as a goody-two-shoes or a naïve protagonist, which is always a bonus. Disenchanted with life after being betrayed at the peak of her career, Kang So Bong's cynical views on life take a turn for the better after meeting and befriending ANS3, who ironically ends up restoring her hope in humanity.

Ji Yeong Hoon: (Nam Shin's personal assistant, played by Lee Joon Hyuk): Ji Yeong Hoon was a great addition to the show and created a perfect balance of traits and weaknesses. Like Kang So Bong, he struggles with his internal demons on a daily basis. It's clear that Ji Yeong Hoon suffers from an identity crisis, not knowing where Nam Shin starts and he ends, which makes him a complex and sympathetic figure. By meeting and talking with ANS3, he's able to grow into his own skin and accept that, rather than being someone's shadow, there's still time for him to become his own man.

[Human] Nam Shin (also played by Seo Kang Joon): He's another complex character with an identity crisis who struggles to keep his emotions from running rampant. Though he's somewhat of an antagonist, he doesn't act without reason and, once his side of the story is presented, it's hard not to look at the story from his perspective. He's a man who's living a nightmare, constantly cornered by both enemies and allies. It stands to reason he's not ANM3's biggest fan.

ANTAGONIST: Power-hungry
--------------------------------------------------------------
There are two main antagonists in the show. One is Seo Jong Gil (Ye Na's father played by Yoo Oh Sung) and the other is Nam Gun Ho (Nam Shin's grandfather played by Park Young Kyoo). Both characters are motivated by greed and, though their actions can be monstrous, they have moments where the human in them comes out and you can't help but pity them. After all, bad people aren't born like that, they are made.

PORTRAYAL OF ROMANCE: Interesting and sweet
--------------------------------------------------------------
The romance was interesting if you look at it with an open mind. Going by the comment section a lot of people were turned off by the idea of a human falling in love with an AI Android, but if you think about it, it isn't so farfetched.

The show asks if a human is able to fall in love with an Android and, more importantly, if said Android --who isn't capable of feeling emotions-- could learn to love her back? The answer to this question results in a slow-burn romance that's quite sweet and fun to watch. The interaction between A. Nam Shin and Kang So Bong progresses so naturally, that it never feels out of place or forced.

I've got to give the writer(s) credit for how well they weaved the romance into the narrative, because not only was it not distracting, but it added value to the overall story and pushes both characters to grow.

OVERALL: Memorable and highly recommended
--------------------------------------------------------------
Whether you love, hate or love to hate the characters, the writers did an excellent job in portraying the road each of them took to get to where they are and, more importantly, the reasons why.

Although the story is well crafted, it isn't without some inconsistencies and plot-hiccups, which is why I didn't rate it higher.

Regarding the inconsistencies, most are minimal (personal peeves) and therefore easily ignored. The more glaring ones have to do with scenes involving physics; specifically the wrongful portrayal of the collision between objects. However, those are few and far between and they're used as a way to heighten the action, so they don't really impact the narrative.

The harder to ignore plot-problems become apparent near the end. It felt like the writers ran out of time and ended up solving plot-lines that they'd been slowly building-up in an unsatisfying way. I also deducted points from the rating for not utilizing Kang So Bongs' fighting abilities more, since it was such a big part of her character.

Nonetheless, the show is still an enjoyable ride. Just think about those flaws like badly designed icing on an otherwise excellent cake.

Aug 19, 2018
Are you human too? seemed to have an unusual theme for a k drama and yet it can't help but fall for the classic k drama tap of rich family trying to keep their company from the mean share holders. The first part of the drama was actually good and interesting, as the robot was getting to know the human world, while hiding his true identity from the others around him. However, the second part was kind of boring. Everything that should happen in a chaebol drama actually happened. Spiced up with the robot theme of course. And the ending was kind of a let down. I mean, she fell for a robot and no one questioned it or at least raised some good points regarding the problems in their relationship. Anyway, other than those, the drama had some solid performances and the soundtrack was decent. So, 5 out of 10.