The website is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Mad Dog

• Drama: Mad Dog
  • Country: South Korea
  • Aired On: Wednesday, Thursday
  • Network: KBS2
  • Duration: 60 min.
  • Genres: Thriller, Romance, Crime, Investigation
  • Rating: 15+ Restricted (violence & profanity)

• Members: 3,788
Jeana
I'm going to be honest, Mad Dog could be a boring show for a lot of people. Why? Because even though in its core, it was a typical crime drama with raging power politics and a band of underdogs trying to uncover the truth, it put a unique spin on the genre.

The concept of the drama was based on Insurance crime and for those who don't know much about it, it might as well be a little complicated to follow. The scenes where all the schemes and cases were explained were dialogue heavy with some technical terms and for watchers who want their shows easy to digest, it could be a bit of a problem.

That's not the case with me though. I don't like my dramas to hand me everything on a platter. I want to be able to think about the events taking place and then have this lightbulb moment of 'Oh, so this was what happened.' I like it when a show makes me replay some scenes to catch a dialogue I missed because this means that I care and a drama has to be good if it makes me care.

I'm not gonna say Mad Dog was perfect. It had some flaws here and there, some plot-holes, some illogical things but when you looked at it as a bigger picture you saw that actually yes, this could've happened in real life too. It wasn't far-fetched from reality and you realized that the plot was indeed very well-connected and backed up my smart characters with brilliant planning who were always trying to one-up each other.

While the show started off slow, focusing more on introducing all the characters and their dilemmas, once it hit the 9th episode mark- it skyrocketed and the real action came out in play.

However, the strength of the show wasn't its plot, rather it was the character development. This was a story about how a team (Mad Dog) of lovable individuals each with their own unique talents joined hands with a lone wolf, scam artist (Kim Min Joon) and how together they grew into one tight knit group that was closer than family.

Every role was beautifully constructed and the moment I felt that a character wasn't getting much attention, the script changed its course and swallowed down all my complaints. Besides our amazing team, there were some very endearing side characters (Nurse Sem and Manager Park) along with intriguing and well-portrayed antagonists that helped the show retain its charisma.

Yoo Ji Tae is an actor that emotes with his eyes and Mr. Choi with his vengeful looks and determined actions gave me so much life, especially because YJT's acting was exceptionally brilliant towards the end. Jo Jae Yun (my all time favorite supporting actor) once again brought forth a memorable character. Cheetah shi was so cute with his matchmaking skills, a softie heart and the gangster ways. Kim Hye Sung with his adorable Pentium; a genius and kind-hearted boy, stole many hearts and Ryu Hwa Young gave life to the badass, headstrong but caring Jang Ha Ri that you couldn't help but adore.

But, despite the presence of the more experienced and brilliant cast members, Woo Do Hwan once again snatched all the spotlights. He should honestly be named 'show-stealer' because whenever he takes a role he owns it so completely that other people are given a deadly run for their money.

Try as I might, I couldn't believe this was just the second show he's starred in because he's just too fucking good. He's the kind of artist, I can imagine in every possible role because of his humongous talent and versatile personality. Without bias, I can say that despite being a newbie he's one of the best actors in dramaworld. I love the way he walks, his charming quirks, his beautiful smile and his amazing voice. (Now, is where the bias is speaking.)

So there was no surprise in the fact that Woo Do Hwan's Kim Min Joo slayed me completely and then went for more. Kim Min Joo with his German adlibs, sneaky personality and fearless swag was truly one of a kind. He was incredibily smart with a talent in annoying people to death. He loved pulling everyone's leg, all the while calmly laughing while doing so. He was a bit arrogant, definitely not one to mess with but ultimately, a huge sweetheart. I loved how realistic his character was. He didn't develop magical super powers when people came to kill him (and they came a lot) nope, he innocently got beaten every time instead, was a huge scaredy cat and couldn't even throw a punch properly. And I loved that. The highlight of the show was seeing him warm up to other people and letting go of his trust issues and finally being given a family that he could rely upon.

The dynamics within the Mad Dog team (Kim Min Joon included) were simply everything. The way they had each other's back was extremely heart touching. These people had so much love for each other that at one point, I was shipping every-one with everyone. I loved their little missions, their secretive and conspiring shared glances, their smart strategies and their protectiveness of one another, so much.

And last but not the least: The romance. Even though it was done as a sub-plot only, it was so so good. Kim Min Joon and Jang Ha Ri were a match made in heaven. The small moments they had with each other were so incredibily sweet and their chemistry was fire. The minor touch of romance in this show was far well-done than some of the wholesome love stories I have seen. I think I've never wished for a kiss scene before in my entire life. But ah, we can't have it all now can we?

While Mad Dog did have some great 'Oh shit, what's going to happen next' scenes, it wasn't a show centered on 'the bext big thing'. The beauty of the show was in the small, intimate moments between the characters, the way they grew on each other and the way they evolved together and as individuals.

If you let it, Mad Dog will make you feel. It will touch your heart deeply and make you feel joy, sadness and love. So much love.

I really enjoyed the OST of the show. From NiiHwa's popping and catchy track to Eric Nam's soulful ballad- the sound track did great things for the mood of the drama.

I loved the cast and their antics, so much so, that I really didn't have the heart to let them go till the very end. Although the ending was a little bit rushed, it left me with a wide smile and some heartfelt happy tears.

So while Mad Dog might not be everybody's cup of tea, it was a steaming mug of delicious cappuccino for me.

Definitely one of the better shows of 2017 and one I surely recommend.

Enjoy!

Thevilone
I am gonna be honest, I started this drama only because of Woo Do Hwan. I didn't looked at the cast, I didn't looked at the plot. I just saw him and put it in my plant to watch list.
Best thing I did that month.
Because I didn't knew anything about the drama, I didn't had much expectation but that was a  good thing. Because it blew me away. It completely took me by surprise.
Though I really really enjoyed it, it might not be everyones cup of tea. It's heavy on the crime part of the plot and there are some jaggersons or technical words- which are hard to understand.  But once you get past that part it's all gold.

The story.  It's a crime story. The good guys taking on the bad.  There are some plot holes - like every other stories. But beauty of this drama is that you can never guess what's gonna happen next. Every time I thought 'oh, i know whats gonna happen next' nothing like that happen. Sometimes I had no idea what was going on, until ten minute later.
And it doesn't resolve around the good guys. It shows the 'evil' peoples side too, their reasoning, their plan. A side to their story. I really like that.
This isn't heavy on the romance which I was ok with it, because it isn't a romance story, the lack of that romance tag says it all. But Min Joon and Ha Ri's chemistry was a bit to ....hot. I was screaming ship, ship from the moment I saw them.  Another slow romance couple is in there but I'm not going to spoil it.
Same is the bromance. It's more on to the brotherly-love bromance and that goes perfect with the story line. Makes more sense.
And I really really really liked the ending.

The cast is amazing. There is no point on saying how great they were, because we all know that.
 I am not going to take a single person apart and talk about them, because I liked all of them. I loved how Woo Do Hwan played Min Joon. I liked Jang ha Ri and Ryu Hwa Young's attitude just made her ten times more sassy. I liked Yoo Ji Tea playing Choi Kang Woo, he brings a different set of emotion to the table. This is also the first time I saw him and I am going to check on his other dramas. Then there is Jo Jea Yun playing soft hearted, ex-gangster cheetah-shi and Kim Hye Sung playing Noo Ri.
And Cho Won Young playing JH. He is a really versatile actor. I really liked his last scene.

There are three songs in this drama. All of them are so so good! NiiHwa's song is my jam!!

Totally gonna re-watch it. Have to.

Again I am not gonna tell you that you have to watch it. But if you give it a try it will win you over on its own.  So do try it!

Elle
This drama offered a Squad Chemistry that most dramas simply can’t manage.  Yoo Ji Tae in his role of Choi Kang Woo leads the pack, while Woo Do Hwan competes for the limelight in his role of Kim Min Joon, the adorable orphaned puppy. The rest of the squad made up of Jang Ha Ri (Ryu Hwa Young), Park Soon Jung (Jo Jae Yun) and On Noo Ri (Kim Hye Sung) provide a variety of laughs and dramatic themes.  The Mad Dog pack is just really cool.  Who would have thought tracking down insurance fraud would be sooooo intriguing and exciting, full of disguises, spying and some underhanded intel.

This drama’s plot sometimes feels like it just prods along. The time it spends on the corporate battle between the two antagonists is painstakingly boring at times due to most of the episodes focusing on white collar crimes.

Though this drama tends to get lost in corporate politics, it is worth watching just to see the Mad Dog team interact with each other.  Their bantering and heartfelt moments make for a good argument to watch this drama.

xXabsintheXx
I was curious about the drama right from the beginning. And when it started, I found myself slowly enjoying this more than I thought.

If there's one word that describes this drama the best, it would be "family", closely followed by "bromance". Right from the beginning but even clearer the more you trail the story.

I always prefer those shows that don't seem like something special and later on start to emerge from their cocoon. Even tough I wouldn't say that Mad Dog is a stroke of genius regarding the plot, I'd still claim that the writers were genius enough to make a common plot with clichés into an enjoyable evening pastime.

The summary doesn't reveal much of the actual story and some of you might be slightly disturbed by the starting event later on because of its obviousness to a certain real-time happening some years ago - I certainly was because the drama did link with my country. And I didn't really know how to feel about it. I still don't know how to feel about it after watching the drama and the way it dealt with that issue. But I can say for sure that they handled it the Korean drama way which actually soothed my uneasiness a little, even though it was such a trope.

If I discard that one point, everything else looks like the usual crime drama - and then again it's not really an only crime show. There is more to its charm, more humor, more romance, more shrewdness than necessary. Maybe even a little too much cleverness. It's your common plot of push and pull between the good and the bad. Nothing you haven't seen before already.

But still.
What makes this drama so much fun are the actors and their characters. Conspicuous individuals who look unique (even though they are not). More closely viewed they are actually very predictable and stereotype. But I didn't really pay attention to that because I enjoyed them so much. What's so special about those guys are their team dynamics. I don't even know how to describe it best. They had great chemistry from start to end, and yes, sometimes their actions seemed a little overboard. I still couldn't care less.

If I had to tell who my favorite was out of them all, I'd say Jo Jae Yun. Seriously, that guy is a genius. He can pull so many different characters, making them his own, give them his unique touch, and bait his audience. And I'm so glad that he got the opportunity to show some rarer sides of his skills in this drama. Not always only the joking guy, but also someone who gets really serious about things and people. I want to see him in a romance drama - a serious one, not a comedy.

Of course I liked the other ones as well. Woo Do Wan is definitely next in line (not only because of his sweet attempts at talking German~).  I haven't seen anything with him yet, but I'll definitely catch up on that gap. He delivered his role with impressive finesse.

Yoo Ji Tae... The only other drama I watched him in was Healer, and even though I'm not the right one to judge him yet, I think I can still say that I got what I expected of him. As one of the (younger) veterans he knows how to capture the viewers with confidence.

Same applies for the rest of the cast - though I must also say that you either love or hate certain kinds of people. I for myself was entertained quite well by the bad guys as well. It even turned out that the one I disliked the most in the beginning, became my favorite in the end. Hell yeah, he was an annoying guy and that never changed. But he also knew how to counter-attack when it was needed. There was a nice dissonance within that group of evil guys and I found it enjoyable how they always tried to turn on each other.

If I had to name a disappointment, it would be Hong Soo Hyun. I don't know why but her character stayed the same throughout the whole show. Very bland and unmoving. Always the same expression, always the same repetitive acting.

I think what surprised me the most was the romance that suddenly bloomed out of nowhere. Okay, not totally out of the blue. It appeared in small steps early on but never seemed real, so I certainly didn't expect it to become more serious. Maybe I'm the only dumb one on this though, I don't know. Even though I did notice it, I thought the writers were only teasing me. Thank god they didn't... I really liked the development in the end. It fitted the moments, was never too prominent and took its sweet time.

I know this show has some faults and clichés and whatnot. But sometimes you just need something flawed that makes you fall in love with it to remember that there's no such thing as perfect on this earth.

Definitely recommended~

CrusadingAngel
Overall I thought this show was kind of decent. It has parts that were really good and other parts that were just okay. This drama essentially revolves around a team that goes out to catch people who commit insurance fraud. Just as mentioned in the synopsis. You sort of see this at a case by case basis at the beginning of the drama. As we proceed closer to the end we see a big overlap of how this one fraud case caused many deaths and casualties that affects our main characters.

Story [8.0/10]: The story wasn't too bad, but it's definitely not anything new. It's your typical crime drama that you often see. It often starts out with episodic cases that the main cast is trying to solve. Eventually some cases may begin to overlap and then play a larger role in overarching story. Mad Dog really isn't too different from that. In my opinion, this story lacks a little bit of rising action as well as a climax. With dramas like these, you generally have the same recurring problems. You know what happens at the beginning and at the end. The drama's job is to often tell you what happens in the middle as it helps you fill in the dots.

Acting/Cast [8.5/10]: I was more of a fan of the cast than of the story. I'm a big fan of Ryu Hwa Young who recently starred in Age of Youth as well as Hong Soo Hyun. I became a big ban of hers after watching The Princess' Man and History of the Salaryman. I only wished she got more leading roles. The male actors are not too bad as well.  Jo Jae Yun is also one of my most favorite supporting characters. He's absolutely hilarious and he's the same here too while playing "Cheetah" in the drama. There are hints of romance, but there really wasn't too much of it between two of the main characters. The acting was very good as well considering you had mostly seasoned veterans playing the main roles.

Music [8.0/10]: The music was so-so. I pretty much give the same rating to most music in dramas unless it has a nice OST, is a music drama, or just has really really good songs.

Overall I was decently glad that I watched the show. It kept me mostly interested the whole time. Although I more so watched it to see my favorite actors and actresses rather than for the story itself. This show was definitely more about the characters than the actual plot.

Hanne
All in all this was a very enjoyable series. The acting was phenomenal, the story was interesting and the characters were complex and likable.

I have always liked character-driven stories more than plot-driven stories. I would rather stay with a bad story with great characters than a great story with bad characters. The characters in this drama, especially Kim Min Joon, were the reason I loved this drama so much. The story can be a bit slow at times and I didn't really find the villains all that interesting, but the main team makes up for that. This story does have quite a lot of political elements that some people might like, and some people might not.  It does slow down the drama a bit, but not for long at the time as they have some sort of action in every episode.

The acting was done very well, especially by our two main leads. Both of them are able to portray the main characters as the complex characters they are and have great chemistry with each-other which is why their relationship works so well. Their slow-building friendship is one of the best things in this drama.

If you enjoy watching a team of complex characters working together to fight a common enemy, a bit of action and an overall serious drama (with a a little comic relief here and there) you should try this one.

KatySarang_TGeyes
This review is going to be long, but if you read anything in it, read about Min Joon.

I'll split into sections!

Characters:
Min Joon: I don't know if I've ever loved a kdrama character as much as I love Min Joon. He's just written so well. First, he shouldn't be relatable. But he is so relatable. His story is a big one. From his profession, being a scam artist, to his mission to hunt down what happened to his brother, it's not a common real world story. Yet I relate to his character so much, even though on paper, our life experiences are nothing the same. This clearly has to do with amazing acting, by Woo Do Hwan, and writing. Do Hwan really brings this character to life, and throughout the drama we see Min Joon grow and change for the better. The beautiful part is, I can't pin down exactly when he changes. It happens slowly and naturally, and I never find myself thinking "sure. Min Joon would do that" His character is a hard one to write. He is shown at first with all his walls, that make it appear that he has little emotion. Later though, when we see he truly does have emotion, it is acted and written in a very Min Joon way. When Min Joon shows emotion it's not just, angst and yelling, the way it is portrayed is true to his character. So many actors, when they have to be emotional, just act angsty. I really appreciate how that's not always the case for Do Hwan, and when he shows emotion it still feels true to his character. Additionally, when we see the process of Min Joon taking down his walls, he doesn't feel like a totally new person. Oh he's changed, but he's still Min Joon. Talent if you ask me, to change one's character, but still feel like their character. His character is written and acted very well, and has become my favorite kdrama character of all time due to this.

Kang Woo: He's like the dad of the team and I love him. He takes care of them all, and really binds the team together. While he isn't given a lot of screen time (Min Joon is given most of the screen time, it is truly his story) he really creates a presence, and our Mad Dog team wouldn't be anywhere without him. Really loved him.

Ha Ri: Ya know I like her. She isn't perfect, yet she's still admirable. She cares fiercely for her friends, and is great in action, but dang. That girl got a lot of pride. She sometimes says things she shouldn't, and has a hard time directly apologizing (she will make amends in her own way though). She has a temper, but she cares a lot. While sometimes her temper got on my nerves, I really appreciate that the writer just didn't make her to be this perfect female, like. so. many. writers. She has flaws, she has strengths, and she's all the more lovable because of it.

Noo Ri: Side characters that deserve their own drama: Noo Ri. Gosh. His character is so interesting, yet they only start delving into it after ep 12. waaaaae. I can't really talk about him much because of spoilers....but don't be fooled! You'll think that he's just another comedy side-character no one really cares about, and then boom he's your second favorite character (ok. my second favorite character). He's just so precious, and gah I love him.

Cheetah: How did this guy do the immensly creepy apostle jo in save me (btw do hwan is in that too. y'all should check it out it's awesome), and then lovable captain of the ha ri and min joon ship??? Seriously though, love him. He's hilarious and our ship would be no where without him.

Baddies: yup. I grouped them all. There's nothing special. Whenever it was bad guy on bad guy, I started playing with my phone. If you want interesting villains or politics look else where.

Relationships:

The relationships MADE this show for me. The true charm of Mad Dog is the relationships, I'll list the 3 that stood out to me.

Ha Ri and Min Joon: dang. That chemistry be something else. Petition for romcom drama starring hwa young (that's her name right?) and do hwan? Anyone? Can we do this? Please. Pretty please? They are FIRE. They're relationship is hilarious, because they know they care, mad dog knows they care, we know they care, and yet they still "pretend" like they don't. They both put up walls, and to see them crack those walls and care for one another is really sweet.

Kang Woo and Min Joon: YEEESSS. I love this relationship! I love how out of everyone on the team, if Min Joon is gonna get emotional and open up with someone, it's gonna be Kang Woo. They understand each other so well, and bring out the best in each other. I loved their bromance, and their heart-felt talks. Kang Woo is like the older brother, who pulls Min Joon into this surrogate family, and they just become so close and I adore it. Definitely one of the highlights of the show for me.

Noo Ri and Min Joon: Is this my favorite relationship? That started in ep 12? and there's 16 ep? Yes. Yes it is. No spoilers, trust me. But Noo Ri, in my opinion, is the first one to so verbally acknowledge Min Joon as part of the Mad Dog family. I mean everyone else acts like it! But Noo Ri verbalizes it. Actions are great, but sometimes people need to be told that they're loved and have a family, and that's what Noo Ri does for Min Joon. Though their scenes are few, their scenes are my favorite moments on the show.

BONUS:

Bum Joon and Min Joon: Want to cry yourself to sleep? Watch this relationship. I can't say much, cause spoilers, but it will break your heart in all the right ways.

Word Choice:
Am I giving a section to word choice? Yes. Yes I am. Because it is just done so well. Literally, any time the word hyung is used, or speech is dropped down a level, is sign of character growth. The word hyung has never meant so much to me before, and that is due to this drama using it the right way all the time. It is never casually used. It's an important word, and whenever used delivers emotion and depth well. This drama is very conscientious of words and how they're used.

Team Work:

The team work in this show is awesome, and honestly the best I've seen. All their interactions are perfect and so cute. Definitely worth it.

Plot:
meh. Watch this show for the relationships and Min Joon. The plot was alright, and whenever it was villain on villain I just turned on my phone. It's not a terrible plot, and I personally loved the Min Joon and Bum Joon story line, it's nothing overly-special. This shows strength and meaning is in its relationships and characterizations.

Do I have what I want on repeat? Yes I do. Lol. I love the ost in this drama, and the sad song by eric nam, is so calming and peaceful.

Overall, this drama is amazing and I'd highly recommend it. Watching the characters grow, and become closer has been a true delight, and I will miss my Mad Dog family!

KdramaLife
Yes! Yes! Yes! I finally finished this what seemed to be a very long drama. I started this drama on a whim because, well, I liked the cover photo. Haha. Then I saw the actors. That gave me a boost to start watching it. But once it started, I found that I couldn't watch more than one episode a day. It seemed draggy. I'm not a newbie to revenge dramas, so this came as a surprise to me. Why did it seem so draggy. But once I hit episode 7 I was ready for my marathon!

The speed at which it took off was amazing. The planning, the backstabbing were all so sweet. I couldn't stop watching. From then until the end of the drama I was on the edge of my seat.

Mr. Choi was so bad ass, Pentium was my eye candy, Cheetah was always ready to make me laugh and Ms. Jang was just too pretty. Mad Dog team is so cool. Then in came Kim Min Joon. Gosh, he's such a looker. AMD the chemistry between him and Ms. Jang was hitting the roof. I loved it! If only there was more action between them. Oh well, nevertheless, very satisfying.

The acting was superb! I felt their pain when they cried and lost love ones. Damn. And other times they had me shouting at the screen. "Don't do that" "Send it quick" " Don't get caught" sigh. Draining. But this is what I look for in a drama.

This drama might not be for everyone but I'd still recommend you give it a try. Definitely.

Rren03
i love this series cause of the different colors of the characters especially Woo Do Hwan that add its con artist flavor in so called Mad Dog. It was actually more than I expected it will be and I saw myself crying in some episodes that you dont wanna miss! Its actually have many twists between political, power and money. And even if you need money, dont let the enemy to be planted inside of you. This drama taught me not to easily judge others based on what we heard and what we belive  because sometimes this can lead people to their dark corner....
breakinq
At first the show might seem very boring but once you actually get into it, the story line makes a lot of sense. For someone who was procrastinating watching the show, I fell in love with it after episode 2. It starts off very slow but in the middle and at the end, this show gets very interesting because it actually starts to show how the past relates to the present. Insurance fraud may not seem very interesting to watch but the show really gets you into it. The screenwriter did a really excellent job of tying everything together so well from the beginning till the end.  I never found the show boring even for one episode. It did not make me want to skip to the next 5 seconds or 10 seconds of it. Honestly, this was one of the best shows this year that I watched and it is for sure my number 1 show for 2017. Kudos to the screenwriter who did such an excellent job of showing all the characters shining through and for keeping the storyline true to what it was meant to be.

The characters were very interesting to watch because each character had a different lifestyle and had a different story. Kim Min Joon was my favorite by far because his character was done so well that at the beginning you really seem to hate him but then when you actually get to the middle point of the show and you see his story, you can’t help but sympathize and love him. Woo Do Hwan was a perfect actor to portray Kim Min Joon. His acting convinced me from every expression he showed and every word he spoke. I also loved Yoo Ji Tae’s character because he was so different and opposite of Kim Min Joon. His pain and suffering really showed onscreen with his expressions. Even Ryu Hwa Young did an excellent job of being the perfect female lead who was sensitive enough to care for mad dog members but also tough enough to hold her own in missions. The slight romance gave this show a very nice touch because every scene that had a hint of romance made you take a breather from the intense storyline.

For me this show was exciting, thrilling, and a roller coaster ride. Even with the romance, I couldn’t help but squeal at each part because it was so cute. The ending didn’t seem rushed since everything was building up to the perfect ending. I loved how they didn’t just end right when all the bad guys are caught and actually showed what happens later on with the characters and where they all are in each point of their lives.
If you’re looking for an interesting and thrilling drama, I WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS. This is for sure my favorite drama of 2017 and I don’t think it will change.

Bri
Oh, my, goodness, where do I begin!? All I have to say is, this is SUCH a good show!! It had you on the edge of your seat the whole time!! The acting was amazing (except for Chairman Cha *cough*). The story was great! This story had you feeling all sorts of emotions!! Plus there's an amazing soundtrack! I believe this show should be a 10/10 except there were some scenes that were a little too boring or that when on too long for my taste. Therefore, a close 9.5 for being amazing with everything else.