Long Time No See

qsaint
Jan 5, 2018
Hands down, this is the best movie I've watched in a long time. In fact, the only issue I have with it is that it's too short, so sit back and enjoy my verbal spew of compliments. Oh, and before I begin: THIS IS *NOT* A TRAGEDY. I repeat, less obnoxiously, Long Time No See has a happy ending.

The story is well developed but a bit rushed since this is quite short for a movie. There are several things I could see being fleshed out better with more time, but they use the time they have well. I'd give a summary, but I probably would end up spoiling something.

Acting/Cast:
Alright, this is my favorite part. There were three scenes I watched maybe thirty times each because of how raw and real the acting was. The cast knows what they're doing. The gang boss we see the most of frequently over acts and it threw me off at first until, after a few more interactions, I realized his personality was extra, not his acting. Chisoo, our protagonist, almost pushed me to the brink of tears and I have literally never cried over a movie. The combo of Chisoo and Gitae and all the emotion the shoved into every scene didn't bother pushing me; it punted me past the sun and directly into a galaxy of ugly sobbing. And I was damn glad for it. Okay, let me not get to into this, the short version is simple: the acting is amazing. The cast is amazing.

If you watch this movie and happen to notice the music, I don't think you're watching hard enough. It took a couple run-throughs before my brain could focus on anything but the immediate action. The music that I did hear and process was good, more so because it fit and blended into scenes instead of snatching me out of them.

Rewatch Value:
I rewatch no movies. Ever. I just don't have the attention span, especially if I already know what happens. That said, I have watched this movie three times in as many days and I'm not bored yet.  In fact, every time I watch it again, I have a bit more fun (and bemoan how short it is a little harder).

Overall:
Watch this movie. Watch this movie because there is absolutely something in it that will make it a favorite of yours. I was wary at first, but it was 100% worth my money and I'd pay for it again even. The happy ending is just a bonus, because this would be my review even if it was a tragedy.

HipposandLasers
Jan 11, 2018
What can I say other than I adored this? How often do you find LGBT media with functional, real relationships that don’t end in tragedy? Long Time, No See absolutely blew away all my expectations. Absolutely a long-time favorite movie.

Story: The story was cliche, but I live for cliches, especially mob-related so basically I adored it. Due to the length, certain very small scenes were a tad confusing if only because the cut into them seemed random, but they soon became clear. By the end of each chapter (which are usually ~15 min. segments), I had a very clear understanding of what was going on, so the confusion wasn’t long-lasting.

Acting/Cast: I’m not gonna lie, for a small studio film, I wasn’t expecting much re: the acting, but I was absolutely blown away. The actors are incredible and create such dynamic characters through facial expressions alone. They were an amazing cast that I would love to see in future dramas.

Music: So cute! The reoccurring song that played every time Gitae and Chisoo had a moment was sweet, gentle, and just downright adorable. It encapsulated that fuzzy feeling of butterflies in your stomach. The music for the action scenes were perfect for creating a high intensity environment, as well.

Rewatch Value: The only reason I am not immediately rewatching this movie is because I have to go to class in the morning. Needless to say, I will be watching this movie many more times in the future.

TL;DR: If you’re looking for a good LGBT movie with great acting, a fun plot, and a happy ending, then Long Time, No See is the choice for you. Please support this movie and the studio STRONGBERRY by buying the chapters ($12) so we can hopefully see more wonderful content like this in the future!

Odessa Jones
Mar 18, 2018
For a mini-drama that was less than 90 minutes, this one offered plenty of heart-wringing moments. The story managed to combine romance and gangsters in a way that went beyond yaoi manga cliches. The actors are inexperienced, but they are so sincere that they touch your heart. The script is well-written and the characters are fleshed out. There are huge plot holes, but they didn't bother me much. Unlike many BL narratives, this story gives us heroes who know they like men. They have a believable and touching love-at-first-sight (with a bizarre twist) story.

There's also some good social commentary squeezed into this short drama. It's significant that the biggest conflict between Ji Soo and his gang-boss "father" is more about his homosexuality than his loyalty. The two heroes have very different experiences of being gay--Ji Soo has been bullied and humiliated for it, while Gitae has a loving sister who understood and accepted his sexuality when he was still in high school. Ji Soo's experience is far more common than Gitae's in Korea today. But that just made Gitae and his sister even more likable. Homophobia is so rife here in Korea that we really need some hopeful stories like this.

The usual web-drama caveats apply: the editing is hard to follow, the first episode is confusing, and of course, I wish it was longer. But I don't care. It's so amazing to find a Korean boys' love drama that's this good--plus it doesn't end in tragedy! And it's worth noting that the emotional aspects of the story are never confusing. While the extrinsic plot about the gangsters is sometimes unclear, the director and actors make sure we always know how the characters are feeling about their relationship. And that's what matters most.

I still have a billion questions: how the hell did Gitae get into this business in the first place? Why doesn't his sister know? How did Black Leopard and Black Rose find out the guys betrayed them and why didn't anyone think ahead about any of this? Why did-- Oh, never mind. Just be warned, it's that kind of story. But it's got a lot to offer: a plot that avoids many of the common BL cliches, a script where characters talk their problems out, some well-choreographed fight scenes, likable characters, cute actors and the sweetest, yet most hilarious, original sex scene I may have ever seen on screen. All that makes this a 9/10 despite the plot holes.

P.S. I liked it so much I paid money to download it from Vimeo. Show your support to filmmakers if you can afford to! I hope this studio can make further projects.

KimWanHee
Feb 11, 2018
This drama was very unexpectedly good. I went in thinking I'd see the usual Korean BL movie, well I did not...
Story: The premise is quite interesting and tbh I wish they made a real series out of it and not just 5 short episodes/one movie. Like this the story was slightly rushed but kept its overall charm. Definitely interesting and not the usual Korean BL you get, definitely not.

Acting: The acting was amazing, from all sides. The good guys, the villains...you forget they are actors and you get really immersed into their characters. Definitely big compliments to the cast for that. No shallow acting here.

Music: There was music? Well, I guess the usual background music to highlight stuff. But here let me take this chance to say this: The production of this is amazing, great picture, great colours, great quality and camera work.

Rewatch: definitely!

Overall, I do not regret the least that I bought it to watch it. Like this I can rewatch it again and again and again and enjoy this wonderful Korean movie, so untypical of the usual BL stuff we get from Korea. Check it out, it's definitely worth watching!

Michael
Apr 29, 2018
This review may contains spoilers
Really good to see a sympathetic gay movie, excellent cast, including the sister. The two male leads so handsome, and that most difficult to come by "happy ending" to a gay movie. The only thing that marred it for me is the OTT violence, but I suppose that went with the territory here. The villains were all too credible. The story required some suspension of disbelief, what with the coincidences. I can't go further so as to avoid spoilers. Music hardly made an impression, but not knocking it down for that. All I can say to anyone into BL or gay movies is: WATCH IT. We need more like this and I for one am quite willing to support with my wallet. Top notch, well worth a re-watch.

Hakkiro
Jan 20, 2018

Great drama. I like the plot very much. Great story and main couple. The acting was great. I hope that the main heroes will play in many dramas.
The main couple was really sweet. I was afraid that the ending may be sad, but fortunately it ended well. There was nothing missing.I will gladly come back to the drama again. Fortunately, the episodes were not long and did not stretch. It was nice to watch, there were no vulgar scenes. I am happy to recommend to anyone who likes this attention and does not mind the thread of a homosexual couple. Good job, really.
jys
Jun 23, 2018
It's so hard finding LGBTQ media that doesn't fall victim to tired tropes, harmful stereotypes, and/or unhappy endings, especially in the BL category. I'm so happy to say that this movie is a gem and doesn't contain any of these!!

What I loved:

-The characters are both established as men who are attracted to men. None of that "I'm not gay, I only love you" BS that BL loves to use. On a similar note, there's no stereotypical enforcement of one man as the "effeminate" bottom and the other as the "manly" top, another thing BL loves to use. Cheers to not perpetuating heteronormativity!
-The portrayal of a healthy, happy, functional gay relationship that doesn't end in death or unnecessary angst. Chisoo and Gitae have their obstacles, of course--as you can probably tell by the summary LOL--but they go through their battles, communicate with each other, and find their happy ending.
-The acting is phenomenal for such a small production! I was pleasantly surprised. I was drawn into the main characters, their emotional moments were tangible and believable, and the intimate scenes were so sweet.
-Gitae's sister <3333
-The HAPPY ENDING!!! I can't emphasize this enough!!!

The story really needed another hour or more of screen time to fully flesh out everything and give more depth to the characters--I also really would've loved to see this as a full-length series!!--but given that the studio, Strongberry, is very small and undoubtedly on a tight budget, especially as a producer of queer content, it's amazing as it is.

You can purchase the full movie on Vimeo, I just bought it for $11.11 USD. (link: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/longtimenosee) Please support Strongberry and buy it if you can!!

Shainne Kish
Aug 18, 2018
So I know this will have a happy ending before watching it.

With that, expectations were set. What I did not anticipate was the plot.

I don't trivialise the problems gay people have in our society today. However, it's also good to watch a film that doesn't revolve confusion, acceptance, tolerance, homophobia or hate crimes or tragedy. This film is more of an action film, but with gay characters. Them being gay is not the centre of the plot, which is a nice change.

The actors were great and scenes are realistic enough.

So I give this a 10/10 rating.

kaishally BTS army
Aug 19, 2018
love the plot line of this movie with taking in lgbt, orphange children,underground gangsters or hitman
yes they pretty much exist in our society we just need to aware of them. homosexual people needs to come out according to their own pace in front of society when ever they feel like. in this we see what was outcome of chisoo when he got to know he is gay school students bully him and that harrasment can make any like anyone to go into wrong directions and taking big unthinkable decisions. gi tae another hand got good suporting hand as his sister who totally accepted for who he are .
i love how this story covers all aspects of dark side which we tend to ignore or donot want to bring in front of our society people .as if it conterversial to talk
acting of both main leads are so good , romance diidnt look cliche for me as its run time is for n hour only so it can be face pace for character development.
action scenes and fist fight with knife are so cool.
background was so calm and pale.
desecent movie overall for bl lovers.
not extreme sex scenes jut smooches and kissings which r pretty normal in every dramas

Sassas
Something different compared to your average Asian drama. "Long time no see" is a Korean gay version of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, in which two hitmen fall for each other, and then have to face their competing bosses. Woo Suk Tak and Seung Ho Yeon acting performance is decent (contrary to the secondary characters, unfortunately). The story is rather simple, and although it follows a cliche, it is a nice change that this not the typical Asian melodramatic plot, but rather an action packed (well sort of), mafia plot with an unexpected brutality (although not too much compared to today's Hollywood standards).

In summary: A little bit of romance, a little bit of action, and some skin make up a pleasant evening with a Hollywood-like happy end. No real plot surprises, decent acting and cute faces. Who needs more?

Trouble-chan
Mar 23, 2018
I loved this - I seriously did. It was a good story and the chemistry worked with the two male leads really well. The kisses felt real which was good as some straight actors really struggle with the more physical side of any gay roles they take on.....

STORY - As I said - it was good. Engaging, entertaining - funny in places and also had it's more sad moments.

ACTING/CAST - VERY good; they really made you care for the two main characters. The more peripheral cast were a little more sketchy - mainly the actors playing the bad guys who were just lacking moustaches that could be twirled. But the actress playing the sister was very good too. Overall the two main leads were completely believable to the point if you saw them in the street then you'd not be surprised if they were holding hands. That kind of believability is rare in BL/gay dramas.

MUSIC - Sadly this is where it was let down - the music wasn't great. A lot of it was the type you'd expect to hear in lifts (aka elevators) and the rest was just utterly schmaltzy and forgettable.

REWATCH VALUE - Actually pretty high because it was well acted and a good story. I would certainly watch it again.

OVERALL - so overall for me I gave it a 10/10 - it deserved it. Sure the peripheral cast were a little OTT in the acting and the music was bad, but the story and the acting by the lead couple was brilliant and on point. The run up to the ending is NOT what you think either, so don't worry.

xJaNx
Sep 3, 2018
This is definitely my favourite BL drama so far. I would strongly recommend this, especially to people who loves BL. What can get better than assassins/hitman/mob genre and men who are in love? I’m sorry but this brought the fanfiction world to life (at least for me it does). And it gets better because it is a happy ending, definitely unlike the usual sad stories I always avoid watching. I’m so happy about this to the extent that I’m willing to start writing my first review here.

STORY:
If you haven’t gotten the idea yet, I love the plot so much. Yes, it might not be new but definitely one of the firsts in BL dramas. I would say this is *the* drama readers of mob fanfiction are probably waiting for. The only thing I’m sad about is how short the drama is. I would love to watch more, and this is from someone who dislikes dramas with too many episodes. And because of the shortness, some parts were a bit rushed and unexplained - like how they *really* fell in love and how they were found out, for example.

ACTING:
Now this is one thing I love in this drama. The actors were good. Really good. Unlike some BL dramas out there (albeit low budget and bad plots with too many loopholes), they acted their characters out well and those raw emotions could be felt throughout. Especially the actors for Chisoo and Gitae, I love how they had chemistry and their interactions did not look awkward at all. It was natural and enjoyable. They really brought their characters to life. I applaud the other cast too, their fighting scenes were realistic and I loved every moment of it. This is one cast with great acting.

MUSIC:
I would say if you’re paying so much attention to the music, you’re not focusing on the story itself. To me the music was fine, but I was focused more on the plot than it. Some scenes could have better music to increase the suspense/emotions though.

REWATCH VALUE:
I’ll definitely rewatch this. I can’t get enough of it. My favourite genre plus men in love, and adorable Seung Ho.