Devilish Joy

Mixity
Oct 10, 2018
This is one of the clearest, cutest dramas I've seen this year. And it's already October :)

I guess you can say that I'm thrilled and charmed by the simplicity of the drama. There isn't much new to the plot, in general, but you see a lot of freshness in how they approach the subject. Either Jin Hyuk found a drama that appears to ideally fit to his own character, or they changed it a bit to fit him, because he is superb in it.

Jin Hyuk has an ability to play characters, that seems simple and lighthearted, at the same time, being incredibly deep and sophisticated. I think this is the main charm in this drama. He plays his role perfectly and at the same time gives depth to the plot, writers have given him to play.

I do believe that either people see this drama and can't get enough of it, or they will dismiss it for being too simple and easy. But at a closer look, you love it more than (almost) any other.

Also have to give production crew a thumbs up. The choice of actors is pretty darn good and as I am usually pretty negative in my reviews about female leads, which usually appears in me not posting about them at all.. :) But this time I have to say.. I'm impressed.

Ha Yoon is at her strongest in here. In 'Fight for my way', she made an impression as a great actress, who could really play a part I'd enjoy, in an emotional drama. I was right, she's perfect for this, in this. She makes me smile and she frustrates me.. and she makes me feel her emotions, and relate to her life..

Everyone, the writers, producers, the actors. Have done a great job on this project(will do). Can't wait to watch it until to the end. Hope to feel surprised a bit, but whichever way the plot goes, I'm sure I'm gonna love it until it ends.

(BTW) Not sure about this remark.. But I really do like Hoya only, when he's dancing.. I've seen some, or a lot of his acting. But somehow.. his character, wherever he plays.. has not gotten a lot of recognition from me. He plays well, but I don't like him as an actor. As a dancer, sure.. I could watch him for a long time :D

Oct 26, 2018
Devilish Joy is a drama packed with cliche and corny scenes. The cinematography, at least, was gorgeous. As a whole, the story was okay, though the first episode was the most rediculous one I have ever watched. Things got better after that, but still, the drama lacked originality. The performances, moreover, were good, but I think that the couple needed a tick more chemistry to support the over the top romance that they had to present. However, the leading lady was really good and enjoyable. Though, Hoya felt out of place in this character.
purtysunshine
Oct 30, 2018
Devilish Joy was a whirlwind of a drama. It had an endearing and powerful start that slowly threw all logic aside as it plowed through its plot, finally settling down with quite the train wreck of a finale.

I’m not saying it was a bad drama—at least, not in the sense that I did not enjoy it because I feel like it was worth my time. However, enjoyment aside, the writing and directing were really a mess. At its heart, Devilish Joy had some great characters and I think that’s what ultimately made it so watchable but the story line itself felt…immature. It was seasoned with a plethora of cliché (CLICHÉ!!!) mishaps and coincidences. My favorite phrase to mutter while watching this was “How~ convenient~.” To be honest I think it ultimately did not accomplish what its premise set it out to do (ie answer the question: “Could you fall in love with someone you forget every morning?”). They did not play on the amnesia plot device quite like I expected them to and that was a little disappointing because it was too unrealistic and kind of defeated the purpose (at least until the last episode, where it was played out much more how I expected the whole drama to have been).

It is cute and it is sweet. There are so…many…kisses (yey)! However, while I’ve seen some people raving about the chemistry in this, I just didn’t feel it. It’s not that Choi Jin Hyuk and Song Ha Yoon had no chemistry at all, I just didn’t think it was anything special (apart from the first episode, they never really made my heart race or anything). I’m not going to lie though and say I did not fully enjoy every second we got to see Choi Jin Hyuk in all his tall, deep-voiced glory (swooning a little).
Overall this was a relatively easy watch and surprisingly “breezy” given the topic at hand. I would recommend it if you’re in the mood for a little melodrama and a lot of romance.

Warning: the gum-smacking courtesy of our resident baddie is rage-inducing and capable of awakening dark thoughts you did not know you were capable of. Keep the sound on during his scenes with caution.

manicmuse
Nov 5, 2018
This is nothing I expected from the synopsis. It wasn't a "Memento" ripoff and didn't rely too heavily on "Groundhog's day" or "50 first dates" jokes. Still, this is a basic romcom complete with "meant to be" encounters, misunderstandings, and great chemistry. When it works it's really cute, even touching, but when it doesn't work it's super corny and at times too repetitive. If you're in the mood for a romance, with a small bit of mystery, this one is far from perfect, but I still enjoyed it much more than I didn't.

Choi Jin Hyuk and Song Ha Yoon have amazing chemistry, whether their circumstances are ridiculously silly, or more serious. I admit that Song Ha Yoon as Joo Ki Beum had to grow on me, but Choi Jin Hyuk as Gong Ma Sung is super sexy from the start. It's not just his obvious physical appeal, which is more than enough, but everything from his mischievous smile to his more heartbreaking scenes pretty much solidified any crush I already had on him. Together they made this hot mess of a story HOT, and work much better than it should have.

I think the story tried to be too many things with too many conflicting genre elements (comedy, tragedy, mystery, rivalries...). Amnesia is probably one of the most cliché drama plots already, but this one overcomplicates the story with a cheesy but shocking first episode that reeled me in, but not enough substance in the plot to keep the story interesting for 16 episodes.

I don't think it was the casts' fault at all. The villains were extra villainy, I liked the whole supporting cast (especially cute bromance with Hoya, Joy's poetic alcoholic dad, Ma Sung's sarcastic assistant, and Jun Soo Kyung who was pretty epic in her 2-dimensional evil ajumma role), also Ma Sung is sufficiently shirtless... but about halfway through, the extreme silliness and heartbreaking moments felt too repetitive to hold my attention. It was only my curiosity about how it would end, and my addiction to the main couples chemistry, that kept me watching. The story could have easily been told in 10 episodes or less so there's A LOT of filler. I would have given it a higher rating if it were shorter.

Would I watch this again? Only if I could skip through most of it. Seeing Choi Jin Hyuk is definitely a good motivator to at least revisit certain scenes, but even his self-assured smirk and shower scenes aren't always enough.

I did think the ending was cute, so I am happy I didn't drop it, although I didn't appreciate some of the filler tropes in the final episodes.

Overall, like the cheesy "Goodbye" song in the OST I couldn't help singing along to, I know this show is more of a guilty pleasure than a great drama. There was still enough about it that I liked to say you might like it too. Many romcom fans would probably be willing to sacrifice logic for a romance that makes them smile, and that's definitely what it takes to be a fan of "Devilish Joy".

Amy
Oct 27, 2018
Devilish Joy is truly the epitome of a romance drama. Our main characters, Ki Beum and Ma Sung end up falling in love after a day together, but it doesn't truly blossom until they meet again three years later. I think the plot is unique and full of cliches in its own way, one that I enjoyed. This is of course coming from a person who lives off of cliche romance dramas, so don't be surprised if you're one of the people that rank this drama on the lower scale. To me however, Devilish Joy presented their story interestingly, one that would draw me into this drama further. Note, the drama was beautifully produced and edited, as some scenes just really take your breath away in awe.

(SN: I was close to crying on this one but held back the tears cause I was accustomed to the angst of dramas. Just a warning if you're a little softhearted.)

Boy oh boy did I love this cast. First of all, I have seen a numerous amount of dramas starring Song Ha Yoon, but never really one where the entire drama was focused on her in a way (You can bet I will now). I also found it cute that she ended up working on another drama with Kim Ji Young, who was with her in My Daughter Geum Sa Wol (Another banging drama). Somehow, I hadn't really seen Choi Jin Hyuk's acting much, as I've found myself missing out on the dramas that he's been in. I do admit, their chemistry was really nice to see in this drama as their kissing scenes were also quite impressive too if I do say so myself.

Music wise, I usually don't pay much attention to the songs that play in a drama such as OSTs unless they're really good, but I did like Ha Yoon's song that she sang in this drama. Overall, it's a pretty average OST pack for me on this drama.

Would I re-watch this drama? Only the juicy episodes. For me, not all episodes are needed in my opinion to refresh my mind on the story, nor did they have much interesting content in my opinion.

This has been Devilish Joy.

tsukkitori
Oct 28, 2018
This drama can be a bit over-the-top sentimental. It follows the standard conventions of a kdrama--it should be no secret that it has the car crashes, the shared past, the evil family member, and a chaebol and a humble, hardworking girl who's poverty-stricken after falling from stardom. There's nothing striking about the plot of the drama and there are many inconsistencies, beginning with the fantasy "Cinderella amnesia", (anterogade amnesia?) Gong Ma Sung is diagnosed with where he forgets everything from the day before. In addition, both antagonists are poorly written and their motives make no sense. The thoughts behind their actions are never explained. Simply, they are present because there has to be antagonists in a drama and so the plot isn't something to look forward to. However, we do get a happy kdrama miracle ending, which leads to the main point:

If you are willing to put aside your logic caps, this can be quite an easy watch. In fact, I imagine that the only reason why anyone would persevere through this drama's incorrigible plot inconsistencies and the obvious clichés is for a) the obvious cliches and b)the romance. There's nothing wrong with finding enjoyment in clichés when one isn't feeling too adventurous and would just like to lay back and relive them. For this one, they feature the sappy, sweet and affectatious romance that is either a hit or miss for drama watchers. It's a bit of a push and pull game at the beginning but afterward the romance can be felt as if radiating from my screen and it can be easy to fall for the loveline of the couple. The first episode sets the tone and mood for the entire drama and we can see exactly what type of dynamic the leads have--the romance associated with love at first sight. Cheesy and corny, but comfortably cliché. There's also the memory loss factor that becomes more prevalent as the drama unfolds which instills the melodramatic romance factor whereby the leads anticipate heartbreak making their every moment precious.

Enjoyability wise, I was quite satisfied in the beginning--their first meeting, the soft music, their chemistry, their height difference--and I was looking for that predictability and cliché factor. I indulged in it for the romance. I'm a huge romance junkie and hopeless romantic. As a whole, I found it enjoyable and cute.

But as I progressed to the last two episodes it became too much sweetness to handle. For some reason, they lost their (devilish) charm on me soon when they started getting very serious and the memory loss aspect of the drama progressed. Perhaps its because they exhausted all their love with such magnitude in the earlier episodes that by the end they felt dry, lacking and overdependent on each other and not at all realistic. While I did enjoy the earlier episodes because it was fun and playful, things became too overbearing in the end when the scriptwriters decided to use tropes such as the "shared childhood past" randomly pieced into the drama when it was not at all necessary. The ending is a happy and satisfying but I feel as though this drama could have been shorted into 12 episodes rather than 16 by getting rid of unnecessary plot details and the extra fluff that drained the drama of its initial charm. The romance becomes is especially overplayed because of the lack of other elements in this drama that are noteworthy since side characters are mediocre and plot is lacking. There's not too much comedy going on, partially because of the memory loss tragedy, but because the building up their emotional attachments is central and I think the lack of balance between a carefully crafted plot, comedy, and romance is what was ultimately the downfall of this drama towards the end.

As for casting, I do think that the leads suit their roles perfectly with the demands of the drama to create the lovey couple. They are both mature, understanding, and strong yet vulnerable in their own ways. Their kissing scenes are very sweet and quite good; their chemistry can clearly be seen through their scenes together. Because their relationship is so intense and emotionally invested, I am glad they did try to counterbalance it with the playful relationship of Lee Ha Im and Sung Ki Joon as comic relief. Hoya fit his role as Sung Ki Joon quite nicely as an idol-actor playing a naive rich heir and his emotional scenes were quite good. But I do prefer him as an idol, soley because he has the aura of one rather than a sophisticated actor.

I liked the OSTs though. They are dreamy and sweet and they reflect the mood of the drama perfectly with the use of the acoustic guitar. Season and Took-Took were on my playlist and I listened to them while waiting for episodes.

It's a good drama if for those looking for something not too out of the ordinary with a predictable storyline, characters, and romance, but not something I would binge or rewatch. Despite my criticisms, I still had a good time with this drama. Try the first episode and see if its the kind of romance you're looking for!

mobosies
Dec 11, 2018
This drama was SO cute, and so very entertaining; there were heartbreaking moments, and unbelievably cute and happy moments. The Cast was AMAZING. Choi Jin Hyuk never fails to amaze me with his talent. The story was easy to follow and progressed at a steady pace, never hitting any aggravating walls.

In a nutshell: this is a very well cast drama about how life can suck, so bad, and seem like it's just getting worse, but if you persevere, Choi Jin Hyuk will come and save you.

I Kid, but it did make me feel that even though the world is crumbling, there are still happy and beautiful moments that make everything worth it.

KimberlyAmor
Oct 29, 2018
This is my first time writing a review. (PERSONAL BIASED OPINION) :P

Unlike most of the reviews presented, i really love every minute of this drama i don't know why. I was sold from episode 1 until the end. And its been a long time since i enjoyed a korean drama this way.

The Plot isn't that great. But the memory thing has especial place in my heart.

Acting. Choi Jin Hyuk has once again showed me how underrated actor he is. I cried along with him. Song Ha Yoon i know she is pretty but her visual was emphasize by the great cinematography. The leads chemistry is oozing. Hoya and Ju Yeon are the cutest couple. Especially Hoya, never knew him until this drama.

Music. Good bye bye bye bye my love ?

RV. 10/10 because i want to watch it again and again. I want to fall in love because of this drama.

Neel1902
Oct 29, 2018

Average story but awesome romance delivered by leads.

I am a sucker for good romance and heart-fluttering chemistry.
And I got everything I want in this romance drama.
There is an amazing chemistry between leads, a cute second lead couple, comedy relief among seriousness and a really really good bromance (Ma seong and Yang woo jin, also Ma seong & Ki joon)

I am a fan of Jin hyuk so I may get blind sighted saying that he was really perfect as Ma seong. It's like he is really Ma seong and you feel for him, his troubles, his fight. But only Jin hyuk can pull off such average story drama into an amazing one. He becomes flawless while portraying the character. I want to watch him again & again.

About Ha yoon, she was enjoyable too. She was cute and charming at the same time. She was the best choice as Ma seong's Ki beum. loved their chemistry.

Ho ya & Joo yeon were cute together. served good as Complimentary second couple.

Songs are enjoyable and i kept humming some to myself.

I may rewatch this again, maybe many times. Coz for me, it is hard to see heart-fluttering romance in recent dramas. and this one delivered Awesome.

Abzzski
Oct 31, 2018
Although majority of these type of dramas are not my cup of tea I decided to watch this after seeing a clip of it. Although the first episode was one of the most messed up first episodes I have ever seen (WTF did I just watch moments) it is a nice sweet romance drama to watch. The leads have very good chemistry and I found the story to be interesting. The way they used memory loss and comedy was very creative despite the fact its a Cliché drama. The height difference between the leads did seem to bother me sometimes especially with the kissing scenes it looks awkward but yet still convincing and effective. Overall I would give it a 7/10. I thought about giving it a higher score but I believe 7 is a good score for this drama. The reason why I have it a 7 is because it is above average (5) but just doesn't hit the higher marks.

ashYU
Sep 10, 2018
The plot of forgetfulness or amnesia is nothing out of the blue. Having said that, I liked the way the story is being told. Found it similar to "The Innocent Man" drama but has got more of that cuteness factor. It's a nice watch atm I'm not expecting anything happening new for this story.

This is the kind of drama u just enjoy watching for its cuteness. the main leads have great chemistry. she is funny though. hope to see even more moments with fun in the future. the only thing is why someone was dead in her room and this mystery might hold people like me to look for more episodes, but i think choi jin hyuk can be the only witness who can tell the police she was supossed to be druged by that man :D so maybe she will get her image back in the last episodes.