The Undateables (2018) poster

• Genres: Friendship, Comedy, Romance, Life, Drama
  • Rating: 15+ - Teens 15 or older

manicmuse
Jul 20, 2018
This drama is so Skiptastic! In the beginning I was so excited by the possibilities, but by the end I pretty much forced myself to finish. How do you mess up a romcom with two popular leads? Bore the audience with a completely scattered and uninteresting plot! Instead of being called the "Undateables" it should be called the "Unwatchables".

Let's start with the main couple, handsome Hoon Nam and Jung Eum. I'm used to having mixed feelings about Hwang Jung Eum's performance, but I thought matching her in a romcom with Nam Goong Min would be awesome! I was a fan of Can You Hear My Heart , so it's nice to see these two reunited as co-leads. I will admit that Goong Min hasn't been the romantic lead in a drama that has impressed me yet, I prefer his darker side, so maybe this isn't all Jung Eum's fault. Either way, their chemistry started off great, building up to romance pretty quickly, but then their story became incredibly boring. She would get hurt and stare blankly into space. He would do his weird smile to charm her into taking him back. Then insert flashbacks, silly side characters, and obnoxious product placements, and that is literally the whole show.

There is one saving grace for this whole drama and that is Choi Tae Joon as Jun Soo. He deserved his own spin-off show, he was so good! He definitely justifies second lead syndrome. His character was the only character I really cared about at all.

The rest of the cast is mostly silly, annoying, cliché, and unnecessary. Besides Jung Eum's dad, and maybe her supervisor, I was completely uninterested in their stories. You know it's bad when seeing what the supervisor would wear with that ugly jacket started to become the highlight of the show. The couples looking for love had such superficial stories that insulted my intelligence more than it made me laugh. Maybe I don't get Korean humor sometimes, but some of the moments that were supposed to be funny felt too corny, and even sometimes mean. The coach/best friend and cousin, had way too much screen time (The Coach was also the worst friend). Susie and Jun Soo didn't have enough screentime together (I was hoping they would distract me from the boring lead couple, but their story went nowhere)

I would talk more about what went wrong with this plot, but it was so forgettable, I have a hard time remembering everything I hated.

The soundtrack is pretty cute, but every time I heard "Slowly, Slowly..." I was reminded of how much of my time was being wasted by stubbornly watching this drama until the end.

So was watching the end worth it? NO! They basically forced a bunch of the characters together for a random event, and tried to give some characters "closure", but it's hard to have a clean ending to a drama that is such a random mess. Would I watch this again? Bahahahahahaaa! No Thanks. I'll pass.

Obviously I would not recommend this one. Some of you will watch it anyway, but heed my warning. I went from not being able to wait for the next episode to not caring that it was finally over. If I skipped the last 8-10 episodes I would have missed nothing important. Yes, It's THAT boring.

But if you really like commercials, watch all the inventive product placement moments, which made me laugh the most... like that app, which I clearly need to download. Sigh... I gotta learn how to drop dramas more often!

Jul 30, 2018
The undatables is an ordinary drama. It follows the cliche story of enemies falling in love, best friend falling for the girl, family objections, mommy issues and a mystery about the character's childhood. I do wish I liked this drama, but it just tried to hard to make everything cute and romantic. Half way through it didn't have anything else to say or to add and it was just a boring story that I forced myself to finish, hoping that maybe the ending will surprise me, but it didn't. It is a shame, because there were many famous and popular actors in this one and the chemistry between the two leads was strong.

TaraLynch
Jul 21, 2018
I really enjoyed this show. It is not groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination, and I think the plotting suffered from early negative reactions. The writers kept picking up plot lines and then dropping them and then picking them up again in a way that felt rather indecisive. But the love-lines in this show were really sweet (and it was a nice bit of payoff to see Hwang Jung Eum and Namgoong Min getting to have a good couple together since I recently struggled my way through the ending of Can You Hear My Heart). I understand some people's criticisms of Jung Eum's acting choices, but I still love her so much I don't care. I find the "over the top" stuff really endearing when it's her. And Namgoong Min's adorable pleased-with-myself smile, Heart melting. :) Is this my favorite drama of all time? No, but I enjoyed it entirely and will probably watch it again.

Sunnie
Oct 28, 2018

Pleasant. That's what this drama is.

It is same yet different. This gives you the feeling which is kinda hard to explain. As someone here stated you just need to be in the 'right mood' to watch this drama. If you got the right mood it looks beautiful if it's wrong it looks boring. I experienced both.

Everything's resolved way too quickly. Maybe that's the reason behind the negativity for this drama. Viewers have some standards regarding how things should be dealt with in a drama. This drama doesn't meet any of those. This is different. It doesn't deal with problems how viewers expected them to be dealt with. This drama tells you that being in a relationship or being alone, both are okay and are acceptable. I loved that. Humor in this deserves a special mention.

Regarding acting everyone portrayed their roles well. Everyone. Nam Goong Min and Hwang Jung Eum's chemistry is off the charts. I guess she makes a good pair with everyone she's with.

So loved the OST. Good drama needs good music. It suited well.

I might re-watch this if I'm craving for something happy and pleasant. Always dramas doesn't need to be dark and complicated. Once in a while pleasant dramas like this are essential to balance the drama world.

Alexandra
Aug 8, 2018
This drama was like a bad functioning rollercoaster. At first i was intrigued and i was enjoying it but then the plot dropped halfway through and i got bored and then after a couple of episodes i started having fun again because the supportive characters and the story were going somewhere but finally (surprisingly) it dropped again. That's how i felt the whole drama. It was a push and pull situation. There were amazing fun scenarios but also boring and predictable ones.

The cast was great tho. I don't even get surprised anymore with Hwang Jung Eum's characters. She really likes obnoxious and loud ones. I don't think anyone else could pull them off. And even if the cast was great,i think the main leads didn't have enough chemistry. I liked the supportive characters better.

Overall,i have to be real,it's a mediocre drama. I enjoyed it but it has a lot of flaws ,it was a mixed bag. I don't think i'm gonna remember the story nor the characters after some time. (But the armpit guy and the tall lady were the OTP here.I would watch a drama just with these two)

POLARIS
Aug 14, 2018
This is gonna be my shortest review, I watched this for the cast... to be honest I WATCHED THIS FOR GOONG MIN'S SMILE! yes that's it.

you'll be excited at first but there is a hole in the middle when you will get bored, any way Goong Min' smile will force you to finish this yeah!

good story about fate and relationships, funny , light, romantic and there are some points i'll keep remember: how to write busy in chinese, why the butterfly manage to fly, why pple marry and ... well that's enough Go watch it, it was good!
Kath
Aug 11, 2018
I really enjoyed this show. It is not groundbreaking, and I think the plotting suffered from early negative reactions. But the love-lines in this show were really sweet . I understand some people's criticisms of Jung Eum's acting choices, but I still love her so much I don't care. I find the "over the top" stuff really endearing when it's her. And Namgoong Min's adorable pleased-with-myself smile, Heart melting. :) Is this my favorite drama of all time? No, but I enjoyed it entirely. A sweet. easy watch.
MyDramaObsession
Jul 21, 2018
Nam Goong Min and Hwang Jung Eum have such great chemistry in this drama I could cry! The leads together are so sweet and satisfyingly adorkable if this had been a better executed drama the re-watch value would have been big for me as a fluffy drama lover. However, aside from a great concept and the amazing leads there really isn't anything special or satisfying about this drama at all.

The story started out with a really great premise. A woman with a romantic personality but "hot mess" in her career/personal life has to team up with a control freak
and relationship phobic "love expert" to help a group of unique people trying to find the one. From go it feels like a fun, light, sweet drama with great potential for hilarity and romance. Unfortunately, the main premise, that is the most satisfying part of the story, gets buried under loads of melodramatic manure of sub plots. Politics were unnecessary, complicated sub plots of secondary characters with way to much back story was also a complete waste of momentum. It would have been much better to have used the zero match characters to help advance the main story instead. The over use of unnecessarily complex backstories also killed much of the momentum of the main story and made the "fate" part of the romance seem uncomfortably contrived. As a whole the main story would have been better had it been the focus of the drama with scenarios created by interaction with the zero match members as catalyst to naturally advance the main relationship. I say it time and again but the truth is less in stories like these is always more! it's great to have well developed character backgrounds but if you have to explain it instead of letting it be discovered naturally throughout the story it's probably too much! Or in the least it is not relevant enough to do more than cause your story to drag.

I also want to mention that the love triangle/square in this story was boring and overly cliched to me. The second male lead never felt like a believable peer to the lead couple in my opinion and was even presented many times as if he was their senior. Maybe it was his style or demeanor but I never really felt like he fit the bill as a believable rival. He really didn't lack for anything and his (I'm guessing) awkward/nerdy backstory was pretty shallow to make him so relationship reclusive. Other than being around as an orchestrated rival to the male lead it was very forced and nonsensical. The same with the surfer girl, other than a poorly constructed plot device these characters felt like the writers were trying to unnecessarily cram a square peg into a round hole. It over complicated things, was actually a drag to the story slowing momentum, causing friction that until the end was never completely satisfied .

The lead actors are fantastic even though the show as a whole leaves much to be desired. Sadly, much of the secondary cast are also great but because of the way the story progresses everything secondary seems to become disjointed from the main story and boring. I have to wonder when things go askew like this if the actors themselves lose insight or motivation? I defiantly feel, aside from a few emotional moments, the series concluded with many generic/lackluster performances in the secondary stories. I suppose in the end it wouldn't mater much because I suspect many of those scenes will be overlooked anyway with the help of many viewers skip buttons on the remote. Even to the end the conclusions are rushed or unsatisfying open-ended for the time invested if you actually see it all the way through.

The soundtrack wasn't anything particularly exciting. Overall comparatively generic next to other contemporary romantic comedies.

The rewatch value for me is pretty low, at least not without the aid of my fast forward button. I hate getting to the end of a drama that has some really great fluffy, squeetastic moments and feel like it would be a hassle to revisit them. I really can only hope that this doesn't deter the leads from doing another, better quality drama in the near future.

Overall I didn't hate this drama but I will be vocal about my utter disappointment of lost potential. I couldn't rate any lower because it was a decent quality production, and overall no better or worse than most generic rom-coms. Yet let me be petty to writers/directors for a moment and say please, please consider investing in solid concepts in the future instead of this "everything but the kitchen sink" cliche mentality that is becoming more ridiculously overused. I can understand generic and overused story tropes being so inclined yet hilariously satisfying, but to have interesting and fresh prospective/potential constantly tossed to the way side in underdevelopment for cringy gimmicks is wastefully nonsensical. It doesn't cost more to develop a good idea and execute it consistently. Even the ridiculous amount of drama ads can be inclusive of this with some creativity. As a regular rom-com fan you might like this drama with the help of the lead chemistry to kill time between other dramas but its completely fair to say there is nothing special about this drama. It's sad but we can only hope Nam Goong Min and Hwang Jung Eum don't make us wait to long until their next drama together to fill the void of disappointment!

Chelsey
Jul 22, 2018
I wanted to really like this drama, with such great leads I wondered how it could go wrong.

Plot, the plot is where this drama went wrong.

It was a nice and light romance and I really like watching Hoon Nam (Namgoong Min) fall desperately in love with Jang Eum (Hwang Jung Eum). But that was about it unfortunately. I only watched it to the end because of these great leads, I just wish the plot had had more oomph. It seemed to jump all over the place and pick up different plot lines and discard others with no ending (like with Jang Eum's friend Choi Joon-Soo).The ending of the series felt really abrupt and cut short as well.

I probably will not watch this drama again, I'm just still disappointed in the lacklustre plot, just a few tweaks and it could have been amazing. However, if you do like Namgoong Min, I definitely recommend watching this drama just don't expect too much plot wise.

Jordan Chalmers
Apr 16, 2019
Well I must say I wasn't so sure about this drama quite a few episodes in. Not that I didn't like the acting, storyline, or characters really. I think for me it was the main love interests. There were two strong love interests in the drama for me and I must say halfway through I was not digging on Kang Hoon Nam (though later on I really did like him). He really ended up redeeming himself later in the drama, I'll let you watch to see what I mean.

This drama isn't revolutionary or have a particularly original storyline, in fact Yoo Jung Eum's backstory left some holes that still didn't really get explained to my satisfaction but it wasn't a deal breaker.

I really did like the characters, Yoo Jung Eum was definitely my favorite, but all the rest of the characters were great as well, her father, best friend, coach, and even her boss. Yook Ryong was a bit different but I even liked him in the end.

I liked the different side stories throughout as well, the different romances and interactions between characters. I even really liked the coach and her interactions with her team, it really helped you care about her character.

I ended up really liking this cute little romance and would definitely recommend it!

Summer
Jul 22, 2018
This drama started out a bit slow but pretty good actually, I loved the idea of the undateables.. It had sooo much potential, it reminded me of American romcom movies (the movie hitch for example).
I started binge watching it so excitedly because I love the idea of fate and matchmaking.
I also fell in love with the lead actor (which is the first time I've seen him)
So overall I was enjoying it very much.. But unfortunately, it became into chaos..
They dropped the main idea of the drama and suddenly the leads fell in love with each other.. Not enough buildup whatsoever.

After that the drama became meh and the main leads story wasn't interesting anymore, I actually found the side characters were far more interesting.

I kept going because I wanted to see the end to the main idea, the matchmaking (the undateables) and the closure for their friends that's all.

The story really had so much to give but the writers just gave up. It started as a 7 but ended as a 5.. I gave it a 6.5 because I liked the idea.

The acting was good. Although I couldn't help but feel that the main lead actor didn't get much time as other characters.. It's the first time I saw something like this in kdaramas. I wish he had more depth and lines.

The osts were good but nothing worth remembering.

I wouldn't watch the whole drama again for sure. But I might watch the early episodes and some clips of it after a long time.

So overall only watch this if you don't care about the story and just want to watch the romantic comedy scenes :)

LoveKpopPortugal _14
This is a somewhat ordinary korean drama. It has the romance, the comedy and the stubborness of the two main leads.
I actually really liked it.
It's a pleasant drama to watch , not something you have to pay too much attention to the story plot in order to get it.
Overall, I liked it even if it didn't have much to offer. The story gets confusing at times but it's intentional, you get it sooner or later. There are characters you will like, chracters you will not but that is just like any other drama.
Don't be afraid to check it out, it's a good watch.