Hana Yori Dango 2 (2007) poster

Rourou
Apr 22, 2012
I doubt if there's a person who haven't seen the 2nd season after watching the 1st. As for me, I don't seperate between the two seasons, I just feel they're one part.
This season had much more events than the 1st one but the 1st season's music was better than this season's. However, if we speak about the general concept everything was nicely done; The actors showed more skills and proved their great talent : I fell for that strong acting.
Domyouji remain as my favorite character in this drama, there were new cast beside the old one wich made the drama more interesting.
Basically, if you watched the 1st season you won't feel it's finished without watching this one.

nyzgal23
Jan 4, 2012
I can't believe that no one has rewritten a review for HYD2 yet! This drama is one of my all time favorites (amongst Japanese and Korean dramas); I loved the storyline (having read the manga and seen Meteor Garden before this one) and all of its characters. HanaDan is brilliant in that it captures the lives of these seemingly unbelievable characters in such an honest and beautiful way. I will admit, when I first started the first season, I did not like any of the characters despite being invested in the story. However, Tsukasa, Rui, Makino and rest of the characters quickly won me over. When you are watching this, you can tell just how devoted the actors really are. The acting is argubly one of the best aspects of HanaDan with a great cameo by Ikuta Toma in this season. I will forever love Oguri Shun as Hanazawa Rui. He is the standard by which I compare all second leads-I also adore Matsujun as Tsukasa as he flawlessly portrays an incredibly rash and violent character who turns out to posses an enormous heart (metaphorically). The soundtrack also deserves attention of its own: I still listen to OST for this drama and love the songs to pieces.
Overall, I just want to say that I like the this drama is not as bright and cheery as the Korean version. It has a darker tone, which I think only helps to sell its story. This is BY FAR, my favorite version of BOF (I've seen all the versions including the Mainland Chinese one) and I'm an advocate of almost every aspect of this drama. I do, of course, suggest that you watch the first season before you start this one: you will appreciate the characters so much more. :)

Witchgirl247
May 12, 2012
I liked the second season a lot more than the first season. I feel the second season is more exciting and romantic.

Story: This season it's focusing on Tsukasa's love for Makino and how they are meant to be together forever. Honestly the breaking-up/getting back together was starting to get on my nerves a little by the end, but it all proves that they are destiny. I especially loved the side plot with Yuki and Sojiro but this version didn't let them get as far as the Kdrama version which kinda sucks. I like that couple. I actually can stand Rui in this version. I feel really bad for him and I think that he deserves a great girl. Also I like how this story develops the other 2 boys of the F4 more than the other versions. The fourth F4 member in the Kdrama version was hardly ever present and didn't really get much characterization. But in this version I understand him and his character. All the girls who were after Tsukasa were annoying though. But I like Shigeru, when she wasn't after Tsukasa. She was a fun character.

Acting: I honestly love the acting of this one a lot more than the Kdrama version. Oguri Shun gives Rui more depth than Kim Hyun Joong did, also by the end I was thinking that Oguri SHun is a bit more handsome than Kim Hyun Joong (Don't kill me, you're a still a super hottie KHJ). I love Masumoto's acting, I really felt like he portrayed Tsukasa really well. Inoue Mao it goes without saying is a much much much better actress than Goo Hye Sun. I though she really bought her character to life. I was really invested in the characters, and they made me believe that this was real.

Music: I really liked the Arigato song. Though it was played a little bit too much I like the melody. The only problem I had with the music overall was at some points the music was inappropriate for the scene. But other than great!

Rewatch: Definitely to watch again when I'm in the mood for a great romance drama. Maybe in a few months because I don't think I can go through the emotional roller-coaster again.

Overall: It gets a 10 since I liked this season more than the first season and I gave the first season a 10.

I still have to watch the Tdrama version of this drama and I plan on watching it in a few months. I don't think I'll be able to watch Meteor Garden without comparing it to this one if I watch it right away. Even with Hana Yori Dango I was hesitant to watch it because I had tried watching it right after watching Boys Before Flowers (Kdrama)and the anime, and I couldn't because I was bored of the story already. Again I question why I ever thought Boys Before Flowers was a good version of this story. I think even if I watch Meteor Garden Hana Yori Dango will still be the best version.

rachso
Apr 10, 2014
I repeat this is the best version ehhh! wow. This is the best rich boy poor girl story I have watched so far. The acting was great and they had chemistry. Even if I had watched the Korean version already this one seemed like watching something new. In this one the male lead was more ruthless and more miss-understood , I think I need to watch the other one again. Rui was more lively in this one.honestly I still can't believe some human composed these characters. Yet again superb
mongze
Jun 24, 2012
I've seen the whole drama, including the special.
The characters in this drama was a bit more attractive than the korean, though.
But it is based on a manga.
I loved it because the story was so unpredictable.
For example, this happens, then the next thing just happens so quick.
It gets me really nervous to see what happens next.
It was real good! I would recommend this drama to manga lovers!
Starae
Jan 15, 2013
The first season I enjoyed quite a lot, and I felt that this season didn't improve whatsoever until the very end, it was extremely repetitive, so if you're planning on starting this one up then be prepared to have them run you in circles.

This drama stars the biggest jerk you'll ever see, and a girl who does and goes through far too much then he is worth. They pull her through hell and back again more then once, and throughout the whole thing, she has the perfect man standing next to her with open arms.

This is the first drama for many people, and I believe that is the only reason it gets such a high rating, but if you've seen more then just a few dramas, you probably won't appreciate this much.
This is probably the most overrated drama out there, along with Boys Over Flowers. (In my opinion this version is better then the Korean one.)

The only good news about this was the music, the acting, and the ending. I thought it was pretty good overall in those aspects.

I wouldn't recommend watching the whole second season honestly, just watch the last 2 episodes and you wont be missing out on anything. If you're still planning on watching the whole thing after this review, goodluck, I had a hard time forcing myself through this one, and even skipped a lot of slow parts.

Kenny
Mar 12, 2017
Story: The story is just good. So many obstacles for Makino and Domyouji to overcome to be together, that makes this drama so fun to watch. They are both meant for each other of course. It's so tough to watch because of these love triangles or love squares for the two people that want to be together. I liked that they explained each character more about the life back then or so. Very funny as well in every episode along with Domyouji saying the wrong words heh

Acting/Cast: There weren't many new major people but some. I hated so much that Shigeru person and Umi as well. Their actors both played it well tho to be the hated person. Jun Matsumoto and Mao Inoue just perfect together.

Music: ugh the music here wasn't as good as the music in season 1. I preferred wish and Planetarium much better than the ones here. OST still good at the right times.

Rewatch Value: Of course you have to watch season 2 over again to get the happy ending.

Overall: I enjoyed that first episode it was pretty a great start and the ending well I'll tell you it's a happy ending of course. Makino and Domyouji are the best couple in the world!

Marse
Nov 17, 2012
There are more happenings in this season as compared to the first. There are more problems and such so it's more interesting. Even so, the story's flow is still as smooth as the first season. It's quite a cliffhanger though, since the real closure of the series is shown in the movie, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, there may be scenes found in the Taiwanese and Korean (not sure about the Chinese one since I haven't watched it yet) versions that are not showed here, but it's all right.

Oguri Shun's scenes here are many, so his acting skill is more shown here. Matsuda Shota and Abe Tsuyoshi got more screen time, too. For me, it's important that they have their good share of screen time because, after all, their roles are part of F4. I found Kato Natsuki's Shigeru adorable. Anyway, the two leads' chemistry is more evident in this season. They're all actually better in this one.

I loved the music in this season, too! Especially the opening song (again).

If I'd re-watch the first one, of course, I have to re-watch this, too!

This is really good drama. It's worth watching, in my opinion.
Recommended to:
- those who watched the first season, of course!

Emmers
Apr 12, 2012
I have this on DVD so that shows how much I like it. It's a really great sequel, even better than the first part I'd say. (But that may just be because MatsuJun has better hair in this one... Kidding!) All the characters were still amazing and kept developing and getting even better. And there were some new characters that were really great too. There were new obstacles that popped up without being irritating or overly dramatic. Overall, a great continuation of an amazing series!
YueofBlueGables
May 23, 2018
I think the drama should have been called: "HYD: Meant to be together, but the world was against it".

Cast: (8/10) there was an amazing chemistry between the leads, not only between Makino and Domyouji, but including the other guys in F4. The MVP for this season was MatsuJun, for me. When he was angry, he looked ugly, but when he was looking at Makino with so much love, or when he was smiling, he looked so handsome. I love his hairdo in this season. And I was in awe in that first episode when Domyouji and Makino meet again for the first time after a year in NYC, the way he looked at her. With so much longing. He was telling her it was over, but his eyes were saying the opposite.

Story: (8/10) since this story is about love and all things that can happen to keep the main couple apart, it reminded me so much of Latin Soap Operas, which I used to love when I was younger. Misunderstandings, memory loss, rivals, etc. There is one part where Domyouji's fiancee was telling him, after he tells him he can't marry her because he will always love Makino, that she still keeps an ace up her sleeve, and stands when they are having a dinner with their parents. I seriously was expecting a "I am pregnant" bulls*t. Thank God they didn't go THAT way XD

Even though I wanted Makino and Domyouji to have their happy ending, they both got on my nerves. Makino was weak, letting everyone step on her, specially her 2 rivals. She just stays there, keeping quiet. And Domyouji continues to be a punk. Whenever things don't go the way he wants, he starts punching people. What a jerk.

On the other hand, there are 3 reasons why this was again so different from a Latin Soap Opera: 1) here are no overactings, no zoom in into their faces, no slaps, etc. It is not to dramatic, it is well balanced with comedy. 2) no heavy make-up, no styled hairdoes (except Domyouji), no flashy and tacky clothes (except the men's shoes). Makino has the same plain hairstyle all the time, she barely has any make-up. Same with her friend Yuuki. Same with several other girls. And 3) all these cliche moments last around ONE episode, instead of dragging for several. Always to the point.

Music: (10/10) I LOVE the music in this drama. Both Seasons have amazing music. "Love So Sweet" is catchy and has a "nostalgic" feeling while listening to it. Maybe the boys in Arashi are tired of singing it, but it always surprises me when I see MJ singing it in their concerts, with so much feeling. He loves it, I bet he is still so proud of everything about HYD. "Flavor of Life" is also one of my favorite songs of Utada Hikaru. And the instrumental soundtrack that accompanies certain scenes were also excellent. 100 points to the music area.

Rewatching value: (7/10) I would rewatch this but fast-forwarding all the scenes with the fiancee (gosh, she was annoying!), most scenes with Hanazawa Rui and the last 2 episodes except for the last 10 minutes.

*Original review is longer, so I cut it a little bit to post it here.

khjfan01
Nov 1, 2015
This drama has really cute and sweet elements to it, but man, the bad in Hana Yori Dango 2 definitely outweighs the good.

First of all, this drama was such a chore to watch. Although I did like this Hana Yori Dango 2 a bit more than the first one, it still has the same problems and it makes the drama almost unbearable. I never read the manga or watched the anime, but this drama probably did a really good job at following the story. Jdramas usually do. The problem is that the story sucks! It has a terrible message and it pains my soul that I could find anything good about this drama at all.

It's no surprise that I liked the japanese version more than the korean one, and that's partly because I can buy Makino's and Domyoji's love. Matsumoto Jun and Inoue Mao have plenty of chemistry, and I think that's why it works (plus they go out in real life which is just super cute). My problem with their characters is their terrible communication. It's so frustrating because they're both idiots! Domyoji is an entitled brat and Makino is just stupid and pathetic. It's like the girl has no pride. Her family are pimps, and honestly I think she's too easily influenced. But whatever, that's the story. I just don't like the message of a girl being able to change someone with a terrible personality into a kinder person. Because Domyoji never really changed, he just acts one way in front of Makino but then reverts back to his arrogant and violent ways. Plus he's an idiot. I don't see what's so great about him, or Makino for that matter. I mean, what is so special about Makino really? Because she kicked Domyoji and put him in his place in the first season? Because no one ever stood up to him before?? I don't know, whatever, those are my main problems with this drama. Also, it's so elitist I can't take it.

I didn't ship anyone in this drama, and that's so strange because I absolutely loved Rui's korean counterpart. But anyways, the music is probably the best thing about Hana Yori Dango. Both seasons. I can't get it out of my head. Also, the ending is kinda cute (the first season's ending was cuter), but I'm not gonna lie, they crank up the cheese factor to the max.

So would I recommend Hana Yori Dango 2? No, not really. I would recommend either of them period. If you've seen the first one, and you want to know how it ends, go ahead, but I'm telling you it's a chore. Episodes 6-9 drag like there's no tomorrow. Honestly, I like episode 10 the best. But anyways, Hana Yori Dango 2 isn't a terrible drama per say, it's just the message that's the worst. If everything stayed the same, even the stupid plot and the ending, but they had a better message, I'd like this drama much much better.

Lisa
Feb 19, 2018
I loved this one much more than the first season. This is super rare for me I usually love the original so much more than the second season. This was very different I felt that there was more going on in this series than the first and there was more about the characters that you could learn about. There is a lot of rewatch value in this series, I always felt different about the characters each time that I had watched them. I loved how they went through with this second series where there was a deeper dive into the story for each of the characters and it still kept my interest.