One Spring Night

Daybidet
Ok, so we've hit the halfway mark of the show and I wanted to share my thoughts so far before the show finishes... This is a show that is filmed and written very similarly to Something in the Rain (same directors and same writer). Both of these dramas carry a reality to them that most dramas now a days don't have. This isn't to bash lovey dovey rom coms, or fantasy/period dramas; I believe each genre has its place and if done well they are fun to watch and enjoyable. What CAN happen though with these dramas is a highlighted dependence on the abnormal and unlikely that dilutes the intensity of plot/character development and conflict resolution. It leads to shots that don't progress fluidly; skipping scenes that only capture the highs and lows of emotions but nothing in between because only SO many crazy, unbelievable things can happen at a time. This can lead to shallow characters that have shallow backgrounds that lead to shallow romances all with tropes and cliches from every other drama out there.

I think what makes this show and SITR a bit different is that it takes out the abnormal, the "other worldly" aspects out of the picture and SLOWS IT DOWN. This forces the drama to find emotional highs and lows, conflicts, and character development elsewhere like in realistic social issues, duty vs desire, and a realistic romance. I love the scenes where they sit and do nothing sometimes not even looking or talking to each other BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS IN LIFE SOMETIMES. When reading music the goal of silence is to carry the tension and this show does just that. In the silence the viewer is forced to think about what the character's might be thinking about and creates a tension through just silence itself.

The OST itself reflects the simplicity and beauty of the drama. A lot of people have complained at the short and often repeated songs. I think that the OST is brilliant because it accentuates normality; life is normal, repetitive, and quiet most of the time. Now some songs individually I think could have been written better but the soundtrack as a whole I thoroughly enjoy.

Most dramas take you out of your world to take you into theirs and that's what makes it enjoyable and fun; but this leaves a dissatisfaction when you know that it's not real and it would never happen in your life. This drama and SITR takes you out of your world and into a world that could be your neighbor's or your friend's or maybe even back into your own world. I might not have that same 'high' of riding the lows and highs of most kdramas but I am confident that I will have left this show thinking that it seemed real and that it could happen somewhere in the real world even in mine. That's what makes this show exciting and fresh.

alteplase_proton
22 episode in and the story hasn't progressed much. This might put off a lot of viewers but this is not a drama that you can pick up when you feel like procrastinating, where you try to skip past the conversations to get a gist of the plot. The beauty of this drama can best be appreciated when you are bored and have absolutely nothing to do. This drama is not about cheating but about people falling out of love and finding someone you can cherish. The depth to which this drama takes the emotion in conversations is unparalleled.

What makes me fall in love with this show is that it doesn't dilute the intensity of character progression with plot and is paced perfectly. There are times when the main leads just sit and do nothing, it makes you think and understand what is going on in their heads and how they are feeling. The OST fills these silences perfectly. I can keep rewatching the conversations between the main leads forever. The side characters are fun and play a good role in supporting the main cast.

This drama is simple, beautiful and satisfying. I hope you give this a try.

Sashiiayer
Its really, really sad, just as Shin Se Kyung destroyed the 'Bride of Haebek', Han Ji Min is killing this serial, scene by scene, episode by episode. My sincere apologies, I mean no personal offence but I truly am upset.
Ep 6 has just been released and I simply cannot watch it any further. But I will because I don't want to miss Jung Hae In and the other cast performances.

I love the storyline, I love the rest of the cast. I wait for their scenes, and Jung Hae In is outstanding as usual, the support cast is great, but Han Ji Min is so flat, so lifeless, so one-dimensional in her performance that if I could I would skip over all her scenes. Which means skipping over most of each episode. As I said, this is a subjective personal viewpoint. But I do feel that the team that cast this serial could have chosen someone with more acting clout to act alongside Jung Hae In and the rest of the stellar cast.

teetiger
I’m slightly disappointed in this drama. The style and acting in this series is very similar to ‘Something In The Rain’ but lacks a bit on maybe the editing. I solely went for it because I became a fan of Jung Hae In. So far I like the story (SPOILER A young single dad finding love with an unmarried young woman which would be going against traditional views, the main woman also being completely headstrong and against marrying, her sister going through divorce (end SPOILER) but they spend so much time running in and out of their houses/ office or sitting quietly contemplating the difficult love for longer than necessary. Maybe I am getting old and so losing a bit of my patience but the episodes could have been reduced the amount of time spent doing nothing to help progress the story at a faster pace. 8 episodes in and there hasn’t been much change. The side characters are all interesting but again slow progress on their story too.

I hope the story picks up.