Help me! I watch a lot of dramas, but I don't believe I have watch that many Chinese dramas/movies. Historical are my fave but don't limit your recommendations to just this. Your suggestions are appreciated.

I haven't seen any Chinese historical dramas yet but I can recommend a couple of non historical dramas. 

Boss and Me

Say That You Love Me

As for movies, I have seen some historical Chinese ones.

House of Flying Daggers

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Dangerous Liasons

Under the Hawthorn Tree

I have to admit that I watch mainland movies solely for Luhan but you may want to try these? These are actually remakes of the Korean originals though. 

The Witness
Back to 20

The only other mainland movie I've watched is Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress5 minutes to Tomorrow is on my PTW list but the lead actor is actually Japanese. The movie is in Mandarin. And you might want to keep a lookout for L.O.R.D. when it comes out coz it's some kind of a wuxia flick? I think it's more of a fantasy kind of thing. Sorry that I'm unable to recommend historical ones as I don't watch them.
Chinese dramas are my guilty pleasure sometimes you can't help but think it is so ridiculous but you can't help but continue to watch it!

Historical: (I love chinese historical because they're partially base on real figure
Bu bu jing xin (scartlet heart / startling... (I don't remember the other name google it you'll find it)
The virtuous queen of han (this one is about the emperor&empress in sound of the desert, if you're unfamiliar with chinese history watch this then sound of the desert)
Ballad of the desert 
Chronicle of life (this is about the emperor in scarlet heart. Not a big fan of this tbh)
Imperial doctress (on going. Watched the first ep its pretty interesting)

Modern:
Boss and Me
My sunshine/silent seperation 
(Those two are my favourite. I've watched a few others but it was meh. Check my list in my profile if you want more)

ENJOY!

Chinese historical dramas are my absolutely favourites! These are the ones that I've already watched and loved:

Battle of Changsha
Nirvana in Fire
Scarlet Heart
Sound of the Desert
The Disguiser

As for movies I liked:

House of Flying Daggers (my all time fav movie)
Dangerous Liaisons (also with Zhang Ziyi and the chinese version of Cruel Intentions)
Mulan
The Crossing
I second the rec for Boss & Me if you're looking for a cute, relaxing Cinderella and the prince type romance.
Cruel Romance also falls into this category, but with a touch of danger thrown in to make things a bit more exciting.

Too Late to Say I Love You - a more mature romance with fairly good writing in terms of character development. For a C-drama, I was impressed because good writing seems to be an option in many romance C-dramas that I've seen. I loved it for the most part, but I always feel like I have to warn people about the ending in case you're a viewer who's big on endings. The last couple of episodes are not the best, but I still think it's worth a watch.

Loving, Never Forgetting - decent mixture of family drama, romance and corporate scheming. If you're a Jerry Yan fan, he's just delicious here ... as he always is. :)
I love Chinese historical dramas after seeing Cruel Romance. It was very well written and executed. After this i watched Lady & Liar, Perfect couple and currently watching too late to say i love you. All worth a watch. You might find plot similarities in them and especially with Lady and Liar/Cruel romance, some locations are used in both.
They are all set and different stages of time (perfect couple in the ming dynasty etc etc) so you get to see the way that the dressing have changed over the years.

My only bug bear which is totally unrelated to the scripts but, i hate the dubbing. Loud footsteps, girly laughs etc are all totally false but i can see in a way why they have done this. As long as you can get over this, the world is your oyster. I'm currently searching for my next one to watch considering mandarin is easy on my ears at the moment :-)
Nirvana in Fire is amazing
Sound of the Desert is very, very good
The Disguiser is also good

These are all the Chinese dramas I have watched so far, but I always recommend them because they're worth it - and all of them historical.
Nirvana in Fire! You definitely need to watch this Chinesese historical drama. It is amazing. :)
The best Chinese historical so far is Nirvana in fire.

The Advisors Alliance

The Qin Empire

Nirvana in Fire