10th Challenege || 11th Challenege :

Hi Mart 

I see you have watched a lot of dramas. xD But here are a few that I could recommend. Let me know if you prefer something else. 

1.  Twinkling Watermelon: 16-episode heartwarming K-drama from your PTW.  I recently watched it and absolutely loved it.  It's a youth drama with characters that are pretty lovable and funny. It is involving time travel and mixture of all the genre - romance, a bit of mystery, parent child relationship and slice of life (in bigger picture).

2. Dali and the Cocky Prince: 16-episode romantic-comedy K-drama if you are looking for something with charming leads, playful banter and heartfelt chemistry. 

3. The Spirealm - A 78-episode Chinese Bromance Drama. I saw a lot of BLs on your completed as well as on your CW list. Though there are 78 episodes, each of them is 20 minutes so it's sort of 38 episodes but is really interesting.  This is a fantasy drama with a compelling plot and stunning visuals (including both the leads xD) This is supposed to be a BL but suffered from censorship but still would very much recommend this.

4. Plus & Minus - A 8-episode Taiwanese BL. You have already watched most of the BLs that I have rated high. This one I couldn't find on your list. The chemistry between the leads is palpable though pacing was uneven at times. Still a good one-time watch!

Open to recommendations. Preferably a romantic drama. No horror, please. BLs are also fine. 

Accepted Recommendation From leafless7 : Lovely Runner

Thank you for the reccs, was very torn between LR and flower of evil. Chose LR coz in mood for something light. But will watch FOE soon. The synopsis seems very interesting. 

Rating: 

HiJojo77

As I have not watched much of bl. I recommend you two bl

1. 2gether and 2. I Feel You Linger in the Air

Other random recommendations

3. Lovely Runner

4. Extraordinary You

5. Flower of Evil

Just recommend me something which I can enjoy with friends. I prefer kdrama.

I accept Tanii's recommendation for love between fairy and devil.

Rating: 10/10

Binged it in 3 days.

6th Challenge completed!

Hi leafless7!

I know you said you prefer KDrama, but I saw Love Between Fairy and Devil on your PTW and it was a really good show so I wanted to recommend it to you since your profile mentions you like romance dramas.

OR

Under the Skin - This one is one of my faves to recommend because it's such a hidden gem!

image link

I accept Killer_Queen recommendation to watch Blood! (Since you said it's quite medical based, as a med student I have to watch it, haha)

5th We Watch Challenge 2024 Award Ceremony
Another slow month, but it is okay, we press on with our monthly We Watch Challenge Award Ceremony with 6 badges today, including two Silver Badges!

Silver Badges
•   
Jojo77 for recommending Descendants Of The Sun which has been rated 9/10
•   
jenn for recommending Light On Me which has been rated 9/10

Bronze Badges
•   Jojo77 for recommending A Tale Of Thousand Stars which has been rated 8.5/10

•   JulyMoon for recommending Memories Of Murder which has been rated 8/10
•   solana for recommending Hidden Love which has been rated 8/10
•   ibelieve413 for recommending Clean With Passion For Now which has been rated 8/10

Hall of Fame

The 1st and 2nd placed jenn and Elbee continue to add a badge each to their current collections of 17 and 13 customised badges respectively. Jojo77 adds 2 badges to her count this month while solana graces the Hall of Fame for the first time.

17 Customised Badgesjenn (2x Gold, 5x Silver, 10x Bronze)
13 Customised BadgesElbee (2x Gold, 5x Silver, 6x Bronze)
7 Customised BadgesJojo77 (1x Gold, 1x Silver, 5x Bronze), Sweetsis (6x Silver, 1x Bronze)
6 Customised BadgesSelma (1x Gold, 3x Silver, 2x Bronze)
5 Customised Badgesdearuto (1x Gold, 1x Silver, 3x Bronze), JulyMoon (2x Silver, 3x Bronze)
4 Customised BadgesSaygo (1x Silver, 3x Bronze)
3 Customised Badgessolana (2x Silver, 1x Bronze), Tanii (1x Silver, 2x Bronze)

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Tanil

I recommend blood  (kdrama) this will make you cry at times. This drama is very medical based so can get a little confusing at times but you won't regret watching it. This is the only drama I've watched that vampires had a scientific background 

The second drama is morning-comes-to-the-mental-ward this a drama I feel everyone needs to watch as it is based on spreading awareness about different mental disorders. It makes it easy to understand for everyone. It also shows the effects on the staff that work there The main lead develops  depression.

The next one is our-police-course is a perfect balance of crime-solving friendship and love that always had we rooting for 

Would love a drama with a genre I don't really watch like fantasy or sci-fi. Please no rom-com as they are not for me 

I accept memories of alhambra 

8:

Hi Killer_Queen,

1. Memories of the Alhambra fantasy, sci-fi, VR game

2. Alice in the Borderland _ fantasy_deathgame

Bellow are time travel-loop (there's nothing sci-fi. But mention of sci-fi always make me think of time travel.)

3. Nine times time travel 

4. 365 repeat the year

5. Reset

Recommend me easy rom com. Which give 2016 kdrama vibe. I prefer kdrama.

I accept neriya's recommend for The Story of Park's Marriage Contract

Thanx for mentioning this drama. I have watched 2 ep of this drama. And dropped it. Didn't match my mood. But now I think it's perfect drama for my current mood.

Other two mentioned drama have been on my radar for long time. I will watch them after this drama.

Rating: 9/10

It got bit boring in middle. But I liked last 2 episode so much. 

I, II, III, IV, V, VI

Hello leafless7! I've not watched many k-drama romcoms but hopefully you'll find something you're interested in here.

1. Once Upon a Small Town - This is the closest to what you're currently looking for. The plot and characters reminds me of older k-dramas. (12ep x 34m)

2. The Story of Park's Marriage Contract - Maybe give this one another go. I was recommended this and absolutely adored the main leads' chemistry. There are tons of cliches as well, reminiscent of older shows. (12ep x 70m)

3. Inspector Koo - This one's not exactly what you're looking for, but since you have it on high priority, I figured I might recommend this anyway. The plot is so interesting and the cat-and-mouse game between the main character and the antagonist is the highlight of the whole drama. There are also adorable side characters who you can't help but fall in love with. (12ep x 70m)

Please recommend something on the shorter side. I'm open to anything, but if you recommend a thai drama, please make it a GMMTV production series. Oh, and avoid anything in my Not Interested list :)

I accept Mart's recommendation of Moonlight Chicken. I was debating whether to watch Cupid's Last Wish or Moonlight Chicken first, and this just sealed the deal. The fact you wrote makes me appreciate their acting prowesses even more!

my list

Rating: 6.5/10

Thoughts: A quick one! I love EarthMix. I like seeing them play as a couple. They work best acting more nuanced and non over-the-top characters like in this drama. However, I found their storyline to be a bit... bland? I couldn't relate to their struggles as I'm not at an age where I work full-time, pay bills, and support my family financially, so I felt a strong emotional dissonance to the main character. I was more invested in HeartLiMing's love story, but even then, they couldn't save me from this lack of emotion I felt towards this drama. I feel as though Moonlight Chicken would work better as a longer show, to develop the characters even more. 

Everything was there (the cinematography, acting, message, etc.) but my connection wasn't. It's an objectively good drama, just not for me.

Challange 1, 2

Hiiii neriya,

Here I am one more time with some more recomendation for you:

Moonlight Chicken

Since I saw that you appreciated EarthMix, a new title that you absolutely cannot miss. Little curiosity, the protagonists had argued and didn't speak to each other at the time of filming, this demonstrates their skill and professionalism even more!

Recommendation bonus:

2. Revenant - something mysterious, supernatural with dark horror tones, to change the genre a bit.

3. Daily Dose of Sunshine - a title that I ended up on by chance but which I particularly appreciated for the theme addressed and the interpretation of the characters.

As always open to everything as long as it has a happy ending and is not too long.
Even a good crime is fine if well done.

Challange #3

I accepted the recommendation from JulyMoon to watch The West Wind Is Strong

Status: Completed [ Started: 20/06/2024  ~ Completed : 20/06/2024]

Rating: 7.5/10 ⭐️

I have to admit that for a mini series it wasn't bad. I especially loved the different settings than I am normally used to. Unfortunately I can never fully appreciate Chinese historical dramas, but I must say that also thanks to the length this was a pleasant watch. Top especially the female protagonist who doesn't need to be saved!

8th challenge completed 

@Martina I fear that most of the romance dramas with HE I have watched and loved exceed the 20 episodes limit so please bear with me. xD I've chosen dramas for you that I loved because of their romance and lovely main leads. You Are My Glory was my first thought, but you have already watched it so here are alternatives that are just as good. ;D

1. To the Moon and Back | Thailand | 21 episodes á 1 hr. 12 min. - lovely main leads and romance (healthy mains relationship), found family

2. The Romance of Tiger and Rose | China | 24 episodes á 45 minutes - historical romance drama with swapped gender roles (the females are in power here) 

3. Zhang Gong Zhu Zai Shang (Her Royal Highness) | China | 27 episodes á 2 minutes (best watched in one row like a movie) Short Length Series with excellent chemistry between leads, historical romance and action

4. Angel's Last Mission: Love | South Korea | 32 episodes á 35 minutes - romance, comedy but also a tearjerker, so be warned ;)

5. The West Wind Is Strong | China | 20 episodes á 10 minutes - historical romance, great chemistry, supporting each other

Open for recommendations. Preferably from my MDL Watch Challenge Custom List or PTW list (but not necessarily) and a K-Drama or something with action/medical theme, I need something more fast paced right now. Thank you! :)

I accept neriya's rec for Dirty Laundry

Rating: TBA

I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII

Hi JulyMoon! I couldn't access your list as it says it's private, so I went through your challenge!

1. Dirty Laundry - Fast-paced and full of charm. The comedy gets better in each episode, so don't feel turned off by the humour like I was at first. NanonFilm's dynamic here worked wonders and the side characters were just as great. I suggest taking the director's, Jojo, advice: turn your brain off and just have a fun time watching! (6ep x 45m)

2. Vigilante - Another fast-paced drama. This one critiques the justice system and how its easy for criminals to be let off minimally/scot-free. Very suspenseful and gory. (8ep x 45m)

3. Taxi Driver - Looking at your strong dislikes, I was hesitant to recommend this at first. However, I feel like the strong characters and their found family bond will overpower your dislikes. There are two episodes (3-4) that focuses on school bullying, but the drama focuses on the revenge part, so you're left feeling satisfied by the outcome at the end of each episode. For reference, these are the prompts that would fit in your MDL challenge: 4A or 4B, 17B, 21D, 26E. (16ep x 65m)

I want to be let out of my comfort zone! Recommend me a historical, sci-fi, horror, or any drama that doesn't heavily focus on my favourite genres and tags (check my profile to see.) You can also recommend dramas with unusual plots or characters, or even choose a drama in my Not Interested list in case I'm missing out on a gem. Go crazy with it! :)

I accept ElBee's recommendation of Pegasus Market. I was going back-and-forth between MPS and this one, but ultimately decided to go with the former because I'm in need of a good laugh. This drama also really reminds me of a book called DallerGut Dream Department Store. The premise is not remotely close at all, but I guess it's because of the colourful covers and the fact that it's centered around a store.

As for Alchemy of Souls, I originally put it in my Not Interested list because I've watched the first episode and struggled with it. However, because you've said that it doesn't feel like a historical drama and because after recently rewatching Extraordinary You and seeing Lee Jae Wook's acting prowess, I might have to take that off.

my list

Rating: --

Thoughts: --

18th challenge completed!

I want to be let out of my comfort zone! Recommend me a historical, sci-fi, horror, or any drama that doesn't heavily focus on my favourite genres and tags (check my profile to see.) You can also recommend dramas with unusual plots or characters, or even choose a drama in my Not Interested list in case I'm missing out on a gem. Go crazy with it! :)

Hi, Neriya!

I took a look at your list and profile and a few come to mind… I stuck with things not already in your PTW. 

Historical? My first rec is Under the Queen’s Umbrella for a sageuk with strong women, mothers arguably the strongest kind of tigress to be found. 

As for sci-fi, I don’t see any from Taiwan in your completed list… if you are ready to focus intently (give your brain some breaks) and can handle some heartache, Someday or One Day might be for you-rather than a body swap, it is more a body takeover. If time travel seems more palatable without souls inhabiting bodies of doppelgangers (the starting premise of Someday or One Day), I found My Perfect Stranger really heartwarming as the leads go back in time and meet their parents when their parents were teens/young 20-somethings. Both have mysteries to unwind…

Out of almost everyone’s comfort zones is one of my all time favorite dramas, Pegasus Market. I can’t remember who originally subbed it years back, but I hope that person’s subs still exist somewhere since the license has long since expired and it has been shuffled over to other sites (thinking Kim Soo Ji-she tends to do a phenomenal job actually getting accuracy in meaning and tone, humor and references)… the original subs had me wanting to cheer because the subber took things like rhyming passages and made equivalent rhymes in English, kept references that made sense (not all rice wordplay or words of wisdom land the same in English) and meant the same thing in the end. Even without knowing Korean or getting the top subtitles, though, the performances sometimes made me choke up and get teary from sudden sentiment right after laughing with joy, and it handles some social issues smartly, too, while staying funny and keeping the cast thoroughly endearing (for me). It feels like a love child of a Japanese comedy and a workplace oriented Korean drama. Weird it is. Your style of drama it might not be. 😂

(I am curious why you have Alchemy of Souls in your not interested. Body swaps, action, romance, supernatural powers, and historical but without the feeling of historical dramas bc of the supernatural elements... more a curiosity, though, that happens to be historical so it came to mind.)

Open for recs! Still on the hunt for wonderful Jdramas, but anything up to 20ish hours long is a-ok as long as there is **no dubbing** (so no Chinese historicals… I tried, and I just can’t enjoy them fully because the dubbing kills it for me; modern day ones have been okay so far). The weirder the better! :)

Challange 1, 2, 3

Hiiii ElBee,

I took a look at your very long list and managed to find some titles that I think are missing but which I absolutely recommend you see:

Amidst a Snowstorm of Love

Beautiful, I have no words to say how delicate, sweet and real this drama is. The story, the attention to detail, everything! It feels like you are actually witnessing two people falling in love before your eyes.

Recommendation bonus:

2. The Eighth Sense - my personal goal is to promote and show this BL to as many people as possible xD

3. Itazura na Kiss: Love in Tokyo - I have personally seen any adaptation of this story, regardless of whether it was drama, film, mango or anime and from whichever country it was made. In case you want something light and unpretentious but that puts a smile on your face and makes time fly while you see it.

4. Hana Yori Dango - I checked more than once while scrolling through your list because it seemed impossible that you hadn't yet seen THE Japanese drama par excellence, the first ever drama that catapulted me into this endless abyss 13 years ago! A must watch without equal!

Again open to any recommendation, as always, the only requests are that it will have an happy ending, nothing historical please, and that it is not excessively long.

Maybe even a good c drama (max 40 episodes) that has a good plot and little angst would be perfect, or a good mystery/crime.

Challange #4

I accepted the recommendation from leafless7 to watch I Am Nobody

Rating: /10 ⭐️

9. HiMart

First I haven't watched any 40 eps long cdrama. But

1. I Am Nobody- cdrama, slapstick comedy, bromance, NO romance, 27 eps

2. My Girlfriend Is an Alien: 28 eps

3. Vincenzo from your ptw. This is must watch kdrama.

4. Memories of the Alhambra and 5. Romance Is a Bonus Book my favourite kdrama I picked from your ptw.

Short drama:

6. Death's Game- 8eps 

7. Enigma- 4 eps

Open for recommendation. I prefer kdrama. Maybe in mood for thriller, psychopath killer, serial killer or Romance.

I accepted the recommendation from  SmileHoney to watch Nobody Knows

All other titles seem interesting. But I choose this drama because it has been in my ptw since it was ongoing.

Hi leafless7,

I haven't watched a lot of recent psychological thrillers but here are some that you might like:

1.  Nobody Knows - This drama was on your PTW and it was one of my favorite dramas in 2020, the acting was so good.

2.  Special Affairs Team TEN - This thriller is more of procedural police drama. The first season has the least amount of episodes out of all the dramas on this list. I enjoyed both seasons.

3. The Village: Achiara's Secret - This one is more melodramatic than Ten, and has aspects of horror. However, I found it really thrilling at the time of watching -- it made me curious what would happen next. 

Honorable Mentions: I definitely recommend Tengoku to Jigoku: Psychona Futari & Oh No! Here Comes Trouble from your PTW.  They both mix in more comedy than the previous dramas that I mentioned.

For romance I recommend Dr. Romantic & 100 Days My Prince -- I found both to be very heart-warming. 

I like this challenge idea very much. :D  I'm hoping to find some good comedies, I haven't seen yet. Thank you in advance!