Estelll:

I've only watched one Qing dynasty harem drama - Empresses in the Palace - and although I liked it, it was too much for me, I need to be in a certain mood to brave through another one! 

Though I need to watch both Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace and Story of Yanxi Palace one day. One day… :D

I can relate. Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace does look intriguing but I'm not made for dramas with evil scheming and power struggles. 

moonchild:

I can relate. Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace does look intriguing but I'm not made for dramas with evil scheming and power struggles. 

Well, I personally love "normal" power struggles & scheming, but women scheming to get a man to sleep with them, the whole toxic (and claustrophobic) harem environment, and having no one to root for, it's kinda too much for me! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Estelll:

Well, I personally love "normal" power struggles & scheming, but women scheming to get a man to sleep with them, the whole toxic (and claustrophobic) harem environment, and having no one to root for, it's kinda too much for me! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I find it hard to explain, but agree. In The Long Ballad there was also a bit of power struggle/scheming but it never felt overwhelming to me. Maybe I just hate to see characters I root for always drawing the short straw in those "games". 

Hello, I'm late to the discussion but here's my two cents wrt Ruyi's Love in the Palace.

I love political intrigue and power struggles as well. What I do not like is harem struggles where woman scheme against each other for a man (aka emperor). Most of these stories show how little vision the woman had and it really saddens me to see the repression of woman in history.

Most of these harem fights really reflect how little the woman were exposed to the outside world. Their education and early marriage did not really equip them with the maturity and intelligence needed to scheme cleverly.

And Ruyi is filled with this kind of scheming. The emperor is conceited to boot and never really learns his lesson even though he is shown to yearn for Ruyi in the end. I rated the drama pretty high cause it does reflects the attitudes of that time period in my opinion. BUT whether I like watching such an attitude is a totally different story!

I would recommend Novoland & Luoyang instead. There is no woman scheming against each other in either of the two dramas.

Fourthaxis:
And Ruyi is filled with this kind of scheming. The emperor is conceited to boot and never really learns his lesson even though he is shown to yearn for Ruyi in the end. I rated the drama pretty high cause it does reflects the attitudes of that time period in my opinion. BUT whether I like watching such an attitude is a totally different story!

I would recommend Novoland & Luoyang instead. There is no woman scheming against each other in either of the two dramas.

I guess I'll pass on Ruyi, but Luoyang is on my watchlist. ^^

Hello there! I have been lurking around for a while now!

Historical dramas have been a bit hard for me to watch usually due to the complexity of the plot or when they usually get to those boring parts. I'm looking for simpler historical dramas to watch in the next year that are-

• not centered on romance
  • beginner-friendly
  • not too long (32-40 eps max). 

I would love some recommendations from the club members! 

Historical dramas that didn't work for me:

• Moon Lovers
  • Love in the Moonlight
  • Word of Honor
  • Ashes of Love

More specifically, I'm looking for something like Nirvana in Fire (watched the first ep) but less complex.

justanotherrey:

Historical dramas have been a bit hard for me to watch usually due to the complexity of the plot or when they usually get to those boring parts. I'm looking for simpler historical dramas to watch in the next year that are-

• beginner-friendly

• Moon Lovers
  • Love in the Moonlight
  • Word of Honor
  • Ashes of Love

More specifically, I'm looking for something like Nirvana in Fire (watched the first ep) but less complex.

Hi, welcome!

That's a difficult request you ask because political historical dramas are usually complex and long.. lol.

But here are some suggestions for beginner friendly and not too complex, if you don't mind that it's a bit longer than 40 eps:

https://mydramalist.com/28674-joy-of-life (46 eps, but worth it, and very fun to watch!)

https://mydramalist.com/53953-princess-changge (49 eps)

Vya van Velaris:
That's a difficult request you ask because political historical dramas are usually complex and long.. lol.

Haha, knew my request was pretty difficult, sorry for that. 

Ooh, always had Joy of Life on my plan to watch, will give it a try for sure!

Have heard about Long Ballad too. Thanks for the recs! :)

justanotherrey:

• beginner-friendly

• Moon Lovers
  • Love in the Moonlight
  • Word of Honor
  • Ashes of Love

Hi, typical Chinese historical dramas stretch to more than 40 episodes. The only one that comes to my mind that is less than 40 & has no romance in it, is Luoyang the currently airing drama. (https://mydramalist.com/59017-luo-yang)

But if you like the historical detective genre, you can also try The Sleuth of the Ming Dynasty (https://mydramalist.com/33272-the-story-of-ming-dynasty). It has multiple detective stories bundled into an over arching storyline so you can watch it in parts without feeling overwhelmed with the length.

On the other hand if you want to stick to the political intrigue genre I'd suggest https://mydramalist.com/14324-six-flying-dragons or https://mydramalist.com/28435-the-longest-day-in-chang-an. Both are on my watchlist but the episode length is beyond what you stipulated. 

Also after watching Nirvana in Fire, Joy of Life is something all historical/court intrigue fans would recommend next so if you haven't seen it, probably start with that. :)

justanotherrey:

• beginner-friendly

• Moon Lovers
  • Love in the Moonlight
  • Word of Honor
  • Ashes of Love

Like NiF but less complex, and better for beginners... That's exactly what Joy of Life is I'd say, so I'd also like to recommend it to you! :) (Though it's 46 episodes)

Other that aren't centred on romance, less than 40 episodes: 
- Ancient Detective
- Kingdom
- Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People
- Tree With Deep Roots

More than 40 episodes:
- Young Blood
- The Long Ballad
- Six Flying Dragons
- The Untamed

Romances, but are good for beginners imo:
- The Princess's Man
- Sound of the Desert
- The Princess Wei Young

Hey everyone! 

Really sorry if this is considered spamming/self indulgent, but I've made a Voting list for some time now about Dramas that haven't been subbed. I thought it wouldn't hurt if I shared it here as well, since it's about Historical Dramas! And it would be more useful the more people voted on it (so I can share it with fansubbers etc. in case they want to prioritise subbing dramas people would like to see)!

Chinese Historical Dramas you'd like to see SUBBED at last!

Hi y'all, how is everyone? Hope you guys are keeping safe. I've been away from MDL for a few months and I'm now trying to catch up on what has been happening. I quickly skimmed through the posts here so please forgive me if I ask about stuff already answered. I see we now have a club profile - this is wonderful! Content-wise, do we have any specific plans for the profile? It would be a great place to link to relevant reviews/articles/recommendations etc. and for highlighting external sources (videos, books etc) that would develop our understanding (and enjoyment!) of the historical dramas we enjoy so much. I'm currently reading a book titled China: A History (by John Keay) and it's so insightful, it's making me want to revisit all my Chinese historical dramas.

I watched a handful of dramas during the time I was away, two of them being historicals: Ancient Love Poetry (fantasy) and General's Lady, both of which I enjoyed. 

For Ancient Love Poetry, it took me a while to complete because I ignored it for long stretches, to the point where I thought I would eventually drop it. The drama is roughly divided into three parts, and after I got past what I call the prologue (ep 1 to 16), it was smoother sailing during the middle section (ep 17-38); this is where most of the real action takes place and that portion kept me invested. The resolution/wrapping up portion (ep 39 to 49) was too draggy for me but, overall, I liked the drama more than I thought I would.

General's Lady I completed just some days ago; I only started it because of cute YouTube clips which kept popping up in my side panel. It's mostly sweet and lighthearted; plot-wise, it's easily the most simplistic historical drama I've watched to date. 

Going forward, I plan to spend less time at MDL but, hopefully, not stay away for another full 3 months! I'm looking forward to seeing how we can develop the club profile and will happily contribute in any way I can. 

Hi everyone so I wanted to know how you guys are finding Sword Snow Stride

I wanted to watch it but I generally watch shows with complex plot & political intrigue very slowly. So was wondering if I can binge this show once all episodes are released or if I should go slow & watch a few episodes at a time.

Fourthaxis:

Hi everyone so I wanted to know how you guys are finding Sword Snow Stride

I wanted to watch it but I generally watch shows with complex plot & political intrigue very slowly. So was wondering if I can binge this show once all episodes are released or if I should go slow & watch a few episodes at a time.

Hello Fourthaxis,

I'm watching the series one episode a day and imo it has not yet showed any complexity! It's, still, light and has humorous scenes in it, so it's up to you if you want too binge in Januari or start now and watch it daily! It's worthy either way ?

Shenmi:

Hello Fourthaxis,

I'm watching the series one episode a day and imo it has not yet showed any complexity! It's, still, light and has humorous scenes in it, so it's up to you if you want too binge in Januari or start now and watch it daily! It's worthy either way ?

That's great Shenmi! Thanks for letting me know. I'll start this soon then.