Vya van Velaris:

Welcome, Nienna!

To all lurking members :)

To make this thread more like a club instead of just a welcoming committee, what about we all do a monthly recap of historical/costume dramas we watched, put on hold, or drop on that month? That way we exchange recs & maybe find new dramas that were flying under our radars?

I thought I’ll just throw the idea out there. Let me hear if you think this is a good/bad/terrific/stupid idea or you all have/don’t have the time. ;p

Very good idea ! I was planning to do a recap next week after the two first episodes of "Red Heart" and ask club members their opinions to start a discussion here, but that monthly recap is a good idea. ;)

Vya van Velaris:

Welcome, Nienna!

To make this thread more like a club instead of just a welcoming committee, what about we all do a monthly recap of historical/costume dramas we watched, put on hold, or drop on that month? That way we exchange recs & maybe find new dramas that were flying under our radars?

I thought I’ll just throw the idea out there. Let me hear if you think this is a good/bad/terrific/stupid idea or you all have/don’t have the time. ;p

I’m all up for it :)  I’m currently watching Who Rules the World. Once it has finished airing, I’ll drop my thoughts here. 

Good idea. 

While we are waiting for responses to the topic, have a look at my profile. I think I'm finally done messing with it for now.   I've reordered sections and added new ones.   QUESTION: too much? Too confusing?  Helpful? Not Helpful?

DM me, if you like.

Thanks.

Nienna:

Good idea. 

While we are waiting for responses to the topic, have a look at my profile. I think I'm finally done messing with it for now.   I've reordered sections and added new ones.   QUESTION: too much? Too confusing?  Helpful? Not Helpful?

DM me, if you like.

Thanks.

I love it, especially the first 2 sections, with left  & right columns & pics. It's attractive and clean to read.

Thanks.  I like clean.  There is an arrangement  / layout change in the 2nd half that I'm still not comfy with.  Glad you responded to make me think about it :)

I love these banners, recommendations & info They are all really cool  (♡ヮ♡)

Banners, compliments of HDC...I haven't put in the link for the person who made them yet. 

Okay, judging from the (lack of) reactions, I guess it will still be the same, few, people who will do this, so let's see how long we hold out. :D

APRIL RECAP

Completed :
The Killer Is Also Romantic
Mr & Mrs Smith, historical version.
Recommended if: you want a fun & short drama, and if you understand Chinese a bit because the sub is a total mess.

Dropped:
Novoland: Pearl Eclipse (5/48)
Yang Mi's voice felt so out of place, and many scenes felt unnatural and too much like a stage. Plus, I don't like the ML's character. I jumped to ep 36 to see if things got better toward the end, but found out he was still the same i̶d̶i̶o̶t̶, so bubye. ;p

The Lady in the Butcher's House (2/36)
Not my type. Two episodes are spent back and forth about the marriage, and the FL being judgey, and ML being weak.

Currently watching :
Arsenal Military Academy

PTW :
I prefer binge-watching, so I'm waiting for these to (almost) finish airing before I start:
- Who Rules The World
- The Wind Blows From Longxi
- My Sassy Princess
- And hopefully The Blue Whisper, if the fansubber finishes the sub.

CW: 

• The Wind Blows From Longxi
  • Again My Life

COMPLETED: ....looking more like Wuxia than historical - no?

• Brotherhood of Blades
  • Brotherhood of Blades 2
  • Hero
  • Sword Master

CW: 

• The Wind Blows From Longxi

PTW:  

• Wuxin: The Monster Killer

DROPPED: 

• Love & Redemption ( I couldn't get past the tropish first 2 eps.; worth skipping ahead?)

ON HOLD: 

• Jiu Jin Lin
 Vya van Velaris:
Okay, judging from the (lack of) reactions, I guess it will still be the same, few, people who will do this, so let's see how long we hold out. :D

I think it's a great idea but I haven't been keen on dramas lately and I've only completed four for 2022. I wouldn't call it a slump; I'm just more in a reading mood lately, plus I recently bought a smart TV and a Firestick device and have been slowly exploring some non-Asian series I used to like in the past (before I discovered dramas). 

I have The Blooms at Ruyi Pavilion on my CW list but that has been there since February.  When I get more active, I'll definitely post recaps here. And I'm always lurking, reading new posts, so I hope you and everyone else share their recaps; they'll help me find good stuff for later :D

Here's my April recap :)

Completed
The Longest Day in Chang'An - drama
Not gonna lie, I had difficulty completing this >.<  My attention span drifted off at a number of scenes so I had to backtrack a lot of times

Soul Snatcher - movie
This is a pleasant surprise. I expected a goofy, mindless comedy with cheap cgi and I ended up tearing what even. The bromance here is touching :')

Currently Watching
The Blue Whisper Part 1 - drama
Because of the lack of official subs, this title is backlogged so I'm currently stagnant at episode 17. AVV fansubs is my (and many others) saviour.

Who Rules the World - drama, ongoing
Thoroughly enjoying this now :)  The only historical title which I'm looking forward to every week.

Plan to Watch
The Wind Blows from Longxi (I need to get in the mood to watch this)
Heroes (if this comes out in May)
Bloody Heart (been a while since I've last watched a sageuk)
Hu Tong (this title is part of a challenge so gotta watch it once it's released...)

Nienna:
Love & Redemption ( I couldn't get past the tropish first 2 eps.; worth skipping ahead?)

I'm unsure which trope you're referring to, so I don't know which parts to tell you to skip ^^'

Vya van Velaris:

Love this idea!

In April I haven't watched a lot of shows, but here's my update:

A typical "Painted Skin" movie, nothing new

Feel I'm always late with these longer series as it was released in 2019...
I've watched only up to ep 9, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
I didn't read any review or comment before starting it, as I didn't want to get influenced, so I'll just hope it will keep going like that :D

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed by this... I love thriller, mystery and the  Republican Era, but this show can't seem to keep me interested. I have already watched 7 episodes out of 12 and it feels like nothing actually happened... I've heard a lot of people praising it, but I'm not sure why it is considered a "hidden gem" ^^''
 Vya van Velaris:
Novoland: Pearl Eclipse (5/48)
Yang Mi's voice felt so out of place, and many scenes felt unnatural and too much like a stage. Plus, I don't like the ML's character. I jumped to ep 36 to see if things got better toward the end, but found out he was still the same i̶d̶i̶o̶t̶, so bubye. ;p

this is one series that I always want to watch but don't have the courage to start :( I love Novoland franchise, but I'm just scared of getting 48 episodes of disappointment :(

awkward potato:
Soul Snatcher - movie
This is a pleasant surprise. I expected a goofy, mindless comedy with cheap cgi and I ended up tearing what even. The bromance here is touching :')

This seems interesting, just added to my PTW ~

Vya van Velaris:

Welcome, Nienna!

Love this idea! My only completion for April was

Completed: Tinted With You

It was okay, just a quick and light watch. Try not to go into this one with expectations.

Currently watching

Planning to start

Some of the posts it won't let me quote without error for some reason but

lucy_lu - I added those all to my PTW! I love the Painted Skin concept so I'll pretty much watch any/all things related.

awkward potato - Soul Snatcher has been on my PTW for awhile but I'm going to watch it sooner than later now based on your review :)

Nienna:
Love & Redemption ( I couldn't get past the tropish first 2 eps.; worth skipping ahead?)

I'm also not sure which trope you meant here (like, there are so many.. lol). I watched it till the end, but let me warn you that the angst & frustration level is high in this one.

awkward potato:
Currently Watching
The Blue Whisper Part 1 - drama
Because of the lack of official subs, this title is backlogged so I'm currently stagnant at episode 17. AVV fansubs is my (and many others) saviour

I heard they've uploaded till ep 20 now. But yeah, that's why I decided to wait until it finishes. I made a mistake of starting Is Xian Zun Whitewashed Today back in January and the fan subber hasn't finished it till now (and it's 25 eps x 3 mins).  T^T 

lucy_lu:
COUPLE OF MIRRORS

I watched this mainly for the (hints of) GL and to see Yan Wei kicking ass. Also, Zhang Nan is such a treat to look at (girl crush!). But story-wise it's indeed not special (and don't get me started about the ending!).