It seems to me that over half the dramas I watch end up having time jumps; 1 year, 2 years... Usually these time jumps are utilized at the end of a drama to signify the character's growth or to issue a coming together of the main leads solidifying their "meant for each other" fate. Sometimes time jumps are used to good effect, sometimes they seem farfetched or needlessly applied. ..in other words, stupid and injected into a show due to lack of creative writing.

What are some of the dramas you recall that used time jumps? and..which ones felt natural? Which ones did you hate or had you rolling your eyes thinking.. "Really show? Did you have to go there?"
My Girl had a time jump, and i actually really liked it. Granted it was my first experience with time jumps.
I hated Startling By Each Step's time jumps. I was so very confused most of time. I think they even jumped a year in 5 minutes (I may be exaggerating). The point is the time jumps in this drama were horribly done.
Save The Last Dance had a few time jumps i remember one of them said "1 year later (again)" lol but i must say the time jumps were used well & progressed the story.

Also there were time jumps in Time Between Dog & Wolf and Autumn's Concerto both times used correctly to build the plot & progress characterisations....if i find a bad time jump i will let you know. :)
Ohh I've seen it happening in a lot of dramas! I'm just going to go from my list - and avoid using spoilers haha. If I write something that I think might be a spoiler I'll put it in white.

1 Litre Of Tears
- It was used naturally; I think most people know this drama is about a girl with a sickness and the time shows how the sickness has affected her, her family, etc. So it was put to good use.

Boys Before Flowers - I didn't really care for this version, but it was also the first Kdrama I completed. Because of that I didn't have a problem with the 1 year later they added at the end, at the time I liked it. If I watched it now [I won't ever rewatch it haha] I might not have liked it.

Coffee Prince - Again, 1st Kdrama I ever watched and the 2nd Kdrama I finished - I loved the time jump at the end of it because **she took up her dream to be a barista and it was nice seeing the drama come full circle with her coming back to Korea - seeing her with longer hair and having them finally be together and accepted** so I liked that time jump (:

Devil Beside You - I liked the drama but wasn't a big fan of it - so the time jump I felt was kind of like "do they have to add a time jump in almost every drama?"

Goong - I liked the time jump, but it probably wasn't necessary

Heartstrings - It was one of those "I didn't like this show much to begin with and then you add the most cliched thing you possibly could"

My Girlfriend Is A Gumiho - I loved this drama [I think everyone knows it's my favorite haha] but the time jump at the end wasn't really necessary, it just felt cliched.

Myung Wol The Spy - This drama wasn't great to begin with, didn't have good ratings either. The time jump at the end had me doing exactly what you posted Jeanie: rolling my eyes and thinking "Really show? Did you have to go there?" The drama should've ended at episode 16.

Protect The Boss - Didn't care for the time jump, I loved every minute of that drama until episode 12.

Scent Of A Woman - The time jump felt natural, and I liked the use of it in this drama **I loved seeing her be healthy even after all that time. Not a death or a mourning but alive and happy**

Secret Garden - It felt natural, and I loved the use of it, too. **I loved seeing them happy together, starting a family (:**

Startling By Each Step - Agreed with Lis - the time jumps were all over the place. Years passed and if the characters hadn't of mentioned the passing of time, I wouldn't have understood how many years passed by.

Tatta Hitotsu No Koi - It felt natural, it was the passing of time put in a good use.

The Greatest Love - I liked how they used it (:

The Princess' Man - It felt natural

And I think that concludes the dramas I've seen with time jumps haha. Might be forgetting a few of them.

Very interesting question. :)
I've seen one just lately, in Nagareboshi. It didn't disturb me; somehow, it was a needed pause, in order to close a chapter and open the next. I felt it was well done, and briefly executed, so that one doesn't feel the need to fill in the gaps.

On the negative side, I'd definitely put 49 days. As you know, I didn't like that drama as a whole. I never felt connected to any of the characters, so by the end I was just happy it finished. That ridiculous time jump was just the icing on the cake, for me. It made no sense and it felt so contrived I actually wanted to laugh, instead of crying. But then, I felt the same throughout the whole show, as if the author were trying hard to control the viewers feeling. A trick I truly hate.

Back on the positive side, the time jump in Scent of a Woman. Brilliant. It somehow created a bridge, or a narrative compromise between what we all feared and a cheesy, unrealistic marry-go-round ending. After watching it, I realized it worked perfectly.
Another good one was in Tatta Hitotsu No Koi. That was needed, for all the characters involved to grow up. And it was wonderful because it rekindled the anxiety of what might have happened. Very nicely executed.

Another silly and absolutely worthless one I saw in Love Keeps Going, a Taiwanese Drama which left me so flabbergasted I just wanted to fly to Taiwan and kick some derrieres. There it was, to quote your words: "stupid and injected into a show due to lack of creative writing". Very apt description.
I usually don't like those time jumps at the end of the series, they just make it seem like the end is dragging.

The perfect example of a useless time jump would be Harry Potter. I'm not gonna give anything away. But it was unnecessary and useless in my opinion. I prefer endings that leave at least a little room for you to use your imagination.
Greatest Love ~ As much as I truly love Greatest Love I actually didn't like the time jump after Dokko had his surgery. ---> It jarred me a little when they ended the episode before with Ae Jung unable to visit Dokko Jin and crying her heart out and then began the next like 3 months later with him recovered and coming back to Korea. <--- But...in the big picture, it is entirely forgivable because I loved their journey toward each other up to that point and I loved the way they reunited after the jump. The second and longer time jump was more than fine. To me it was more of an epilogue and a perfect cap to the series to see their happy life together.

Secret Garden ~ That time jump was more of an epilogue and I liked it just fine!

Coffee Prince ~ I liked that Eun Chan was going to school FOR HERSELF. I liked that it felt like part of the plot (the idea of her going away to school) that progressed in the last few episodes and didn't seem dropped in as a subtitute for any other idea. I like the way it was acted and I liked the whole last episode showing her return. But sometimes I wonder if I would like the time jump in Coffee Prince if I watched it now. After seeing so many dramas employ this tactic...it does get old.

Spy Myung Wol ~ I shouldn't comment because in truth I haven't seen it...But every person who has seen this show comments about the eye rolling time jump. Then again, for me, this whole show kind of turned into a giant eye rolling fiasco. Sad that, because I really liked the first 8-9 episodes.

Scent of a Woman was lovely all the way around..No complaints. Time Jump and all!

Birdie Buddy ~ I liked this series very much...up until the last two episodes. The plot direction was needless and the time jump stank. I'll write more in my review. Birdie Buddy is definitely a case where the time jump did a show NO favors.

Dream High ~ Time jumps galore and perfectly done to show the student's advancing through their time at the school. Nicely done show!

Heartstrings ~ Why?

Kim Sam Soon ~ It was only a few months time so it didn't bother me and although in the real world if my BF went away for 1 week that turned into 3 months I would kick his ass and he better be prepared to spend a lot longer than 3 months making up for that crap.

49 Days ~ Show, I'm conflicted about you. I'm conflicted about the "added twist", I'm conflicted about your outcome and I'm conflicted about your time jump. I like you...but I'm conflicted. yeah....
The time jump at the end of Sungkyunkwan Scandal had me slowly raising my WTF sign. I can't really go into details without giving the ending away entirely, but I definitely left the show with some niggling questions, especially regarding Yoon Hee's...uh...public gender presentation. Also, Yoochun's fake 'stache. I can't say anymore due to the shuddering.
Haha i just watched one of the best time jumps I've ever seen. In Fated to Love You. I'm not gonna go into detail, but it was beautifully done and seamless. You don't even realize how much time is going by, but when you do realize it makes sense and works wonderfully with the storyline. :D
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho was my second drama and first time slip. At first I was like what the heck a year later??? Then I was like aww he still loved her a year later. But after seeing more of these times slips in other dramas now I'm back too, oh gawd another timeslip what the heck Korea.

49 days was the worst. Made no sense. Just there to fill up time.

You're beautiful's wasn't too bad since she was collecting stars the whole time. It made even more sense in Ikemen Desu Ne since she needed time to get over the death of her mother.

Nagareboshi is one I recently seen in a J-drama. Wasn't expecting that to happen in a J-drama, but it was done good. Japan always does everything good.
jeanie65jh wrote:
Heartstrings ~ Why?

Hahahahaha. The brevity of it made me LOL. Since I haven't seen this drama because it made me yawn on minute 2 (a bad sign), I decided to read your comment like: "why the drama?".
;)

SayItAintSoJoe wrote: You're beautiful's wasn't too bad since she was collecting stars the whole time.

ROFL!! You all decided to make me laugh out loud tonight. Thank you. ;)
Your comment is just perfect: it embodies all the uselessness of Go Mi Nam. :P
amrita828 wrote: Hahahahaha. The brevity of it made me LOL. Since I haven't seen this drama because it made me yawn on minute 2 (a bad sign), I decided to read your comment like: "why the drama?".
;)

I wish I hadn't seen it. Hahaha
Time gap are really a difficult matter!
As I´m a person that really nags on details, I don´t really like time gaps. Just few drama really use them well.

Coffee Prince- One of my all time favs, but the time gap was crap. Why? Nothing really changes, the same car, same clothes and mobilephone...

Goong- I know many of you don´t like this drama,but its the first one I watched on TV and its kind of my drama awakening! The time gap at the end is really good made. Both characters somehow change! They mentios what happened in the time gap.

49 days- Do I need to say how meaningless this drama was? The time gap was the same...

Nagareboshi- Perfect time gap. It couldn`t be better....

Tatta hitotsu no koi- A nice one, though I still can´t understand how the groom can just leae a wedding...

Autumns concerto- they couldn`t place the time gap better....

Snow Queen- Both time gaps in the drama are good. Especially the one at the end.