I was born in Jakarta so my first language is Bahasa Indonesia. I learned English formally since I was in primary school year 3, then mostly from movies/tv shows/books, I learned American English. I now live in Sydney, Australia, but English is still a problem for me, although I am good at listening and reading, but for speaking and writing I still have to translate in my mind from my first language to Australian English. Sometime I wish I have English as my first language :). As I learned American English from young age, when I have my holidays in the U.S. I found that American English is easier to understand and to converse, but sometimes they speak very fast, so I have to ask the person to repeat what they say. But In Australia, I found that the English here is quite difficult to follow, the grammar is a bit complicated, but as I am now a citizen of this country, I try my best to speak as my fellow Australian do.... Good day mate !
As for other language, I have a Chinese origin, so my mom sent me to chinese language course since I was in high school. But Mandarin is a very difficult language to learn, so I never had any progress. When I watch Taiwainese drama now, I only understand the basic, and hopefully would learn a lot more by watching all of Mike He and Jiro Wang dramas. I am going to Shanghai for a week in Oct, so I still have few months to learn more mandarin vocab. I guess I am better at mathematics than languages, so I envy you guys who could master so many foreign languages :-O
Grew up in a place where we had to learn English and Mandarin together. English is probably my first language.
I'm from the Philippines, so my first language would be Filipino. I learned English from school, of course. But I learned speaking in English from an online game. This online game has a lot of Filipinos like me. But there are a lot of people from the other country as well. And I became friends with a few of them. And in this online game, we have this thing called a "guild/family" and in that guild, there are Australians, Singaporeans, Filipinos, Indonesians, Malaysians and some are from the U.S. so we obviously have to speak in English if we want to talk to each other. I was very bad in English before but thanks to that online game, I learned to speak in English better (but I still suck).
What game? Ragnarok? Maple? MU?
It's just a web browser game. I don't think you've heard of it, though. It's name is Fresbo World ^o^
English is my second language. german is my first language :) I started learning englisch when I was six. So I started in first grade. :D We don't really have a choise if we want to learn or not. It's just part of the education here and we have to do it. My language list is like that: first language: german :) second language (since I was 6): english third language (since I was 11): french fourth language (since I was 12 or 13): spanish and probably there's going to be korean soon ^____^
Hanamiki wrote: English is my second language. german is my first language :)
I started learning englisch when I was six. So I started in first grade.
We don't really have a choise if we want to learn or not.
It's just part of the education here and we have to do it.

My language list is like that:
first language: german :)
second language (since I was 6): english
third language (since I was 11): french
fourth language (since I was 12 or 13): spanish

and probably there's going to be korean soon ^____^

In different to that I have had English only since grade 4^^
And I am living in Germany too :D
Right now I have been studying spanish in school for about....4-5 years. And lately japanese too(but it´s my own hobby). And chinese in school too :)

English is our second language here...you need to have it, but I learned my English mostly by myself through Animes,Dramas and Mangas at the age of 11-12^^
Well...I've started learning English at school, but that was just the beginning...most of the English I know is self-taught through reading and watching movies! I started self-studying (should I even call it like that? XD ) when I was 14/15, by grabbing every English magazine available that I would be able to understand...so you could say my very best English teachers were Cosmopolitan and Glamour! Then came the books, it was a big leap but worth it, I still read all my books in English! The final step was, well...when I first got an internet connection at 17...hello movies, dramas and whatever stuff I could think about!
i'm from the United Arab Emirates so Arabic is my first language and english is the second language in my country and i learned it at school!
In the Philippines, almost, everybody's second language is English. It is taught in all schools either private or public... I learned to speak English growing up. My mom has only allowed me and my younger sister to watch English films when we were kids and would even bring us to cinemas. I remember the first movie I've watched in a theater was E.T. (I cried. hehe). And when I was about 5 or 6 I think, the movie that stuck in my head was The Man on the Moon ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwlTCHCUL8 ) and I can even retell the entire movie though I've only watched it once. Recently, I've done some research and found out that the little girl (the main actor) was actually played by Reese Witherspoon. And was able to watch it one more time.. When I started my first year in high school that's the time when I got into reading novels. Since my mom is a reader too and her favorite author is Robert Ludlum. The first one I've read was Sweet Valley High, then Harlequin, and others, then I started reading Barbara Cartland's novels. My favorite author is ANNE RICE. And it is included in my Bucket List to be able to have all of her novels in my mini library. So that's it. The rest, I leave it to Mr. Webster... Though, I admit, my English is just a cup-full.. hehe.
I am a turkish girl who lives in austria so my mother tongues is/are german and turkish .. I started learning english in elementary school. In high school i had to learn another language besides english and that was fench .. omg it was so hard :D .. I learned french for 5 years but i can only say simple thinks :D .. I really want to learn korean because i am going to study in south korea in 2014 (happpyyy :D) .. and it will of course a very good think if i can watch my beloved dramas without subs ..
My first language is Bengali (proudly saying, it's the worlds sweetest language! Voted, trust me). English, I started it while I started learning at 3 or four! Same for most people. We start learning the alphabets of english and bengali together. Than it's just a natural process, depends on each person how far they want it to develop. University level studies are all in english, so it comes handy if you are fluent in it. Can;t say I'm good in it though, I'm okay and that's enough!
I'll just continue writing english XDD you can learn chinese in school? ô.ô *envy* where from germanys do you come from? :o
My native language is French and 2nd is English ^^ I began to learn English on my own when I was 12 or something. I've always loved the English language ^^ then of course I had English classes like everyone in 9th grade (not sure if it's 9th grade since school system is different in Belgium :/) I'm fluent in Dutch since it's compulsory to learn it. I can also speak Spanish more or less well. I have notions of German and Russian ^^ And I'm currently taking Japanese classes :D