well I don't know where I it came from, but the first sentance I learned in english were "I love you". After that I started learning the basics in 3rd grade, but what really made me improve a lot was that I bought a manga book called "Tokyo mew mew". I became interested and around that time my mother finally fixed the internet. At that time I always heared the word "youtube" from my friends so I searched for that site on google and wrote tokyo mew mew. Then I found an anime verision of it subbed in english. My interest in anime began. By reading the text-subtitles everyday I learned english fast. I also liked to sing so by singing the songs lyrics I learned how to pronounce the words. Still I'm a better writer than a talker. But this is actually my 3rd language. My 2nd language is actually sweedish. Even though I was born in sweeden both my parents are originally from Iraq so I learned arabic first and when I was about 2 I began using sweedish words. Now my 1st language is sweedish. My parents divorced when I was 6 so my mother had to work hard to earn a living for me and my twin sister. I went to arabic classes, but I had to wait until she came home at 6 `o clock. Then I had to let mum rest to 8-9 because she was too tired to help me and my twin. After that we studied until 12(midnight). Then I had to wake up at 6 and didn't remember anything. It became too much of a burden so we dropped off the arabic in 4th grade. Now I can speak and understand arabic, but not able write or read it. My 4th language is actually spanish and I began learning it last year in 6th grade. But still I do not regret not learning arabic as I've seen my father have problems mixing up words from different languages(I visit my dad on summer). -tine-tanja11
My second language is French and I started learning it ever since I was 7 years old. My third language is English and I started learning it from middle school but then I think I didn't pay attention to class and started discovering the language on my own.
Movies helped me a lot
I'm Armenian so my first and mother language is Armenian. My second language is Russian which I started to learn since I was 3 thanks to cartoons :) My third language is English which I started to learn when I was 5~6 during the preschool classes of my kindergarden :o
I'm Malaysian so Malay is my first language(some Malaysian use Chinese or Indian lang..as their first language)...well,you wouldn't say it a 'REAL' Malay,its more to dialect because i was from a country where they use dialect the most,in other word,a weirdest malay(its just like Korea,every places has its own dialect and Busan has the weirdest dialect,and in my case,i was from a country which they use a weirdest dialect there,even other Malaysian which use the 'real' Malay,doesn't understand my 'malay' xD,they laugh instead because of its 'unique',haha) I learn English at school but mostly i learn it myself through movies or drama because i don't pay attention when teacher teach(i always feel asleep in class xD)I discovered English on my own,i can write but i can't pronounce it right(yeah,people in my places are good at english but they rarely talk in English)(>.<)but still,i'm better at writing than talking.
My first language is Turkish, but I was born in Germany and live here, so my German is actually better than my mother language. I learned English in school as everyone else. But more than ten years ago I starting watching American TV shows without German dubbing, which is very common here and they are actually very good at it. Now I'm used to watching everything in English or with English subtitles and also read books almost exclusively in English.
I live in Barcelona so I have two first languages, Catalan and Spanish, I'm half Russian and can I speak and read it almost fluently. I have learned English at school but I had improved a lot by myself because of music and tv shows that I've been watching online for years.
long long time ago, due to colonization of u.s.a a 100 years ago, it became a big influence. Since then our ancestor forcefully learned it. Then as the time pass by we unconditionally use it. English is a mandatory subject/course in our country: elem- high school- (not so sure) college/univ. Not to mention that "english" have been gaining high popularity (lol), it became our universal language. Also the fact that we are a third world country, we seek jobs abroad so it is necessary to learn englsih for communication. And yeah, it became a practice to speak english anywhere in our country so it became our official second language. Anyways, I learn words anywhere but I learn reading, writing and anything that can be learned 'bout english at school. *from Philippines*
Well, here in the Philippines, I'll say it's nearly impossible to find a person who don't know how to speak English at the very least. Though English is not our mother tongue, English is being taught at school from all levels. Lots of our subjects are taught in English as well. Mathematics, science, etc.
I'm Jamaican so English was my first language but I didn't grew up speaking it. I spoke in Patios most of my life but it wasn't hard transferring over to English full-time after I got to Canada since Patios is broken English and I've always known and understand it since I was young.
I'm from Sweden, but live in Norway. I learned English at school. English is my ''third'' language, lol. First language is Swedish and second language Norwegian. I'm also learning Spanish at school and Korean at home. ^^
I can speak Canto, Mando, and English. and a little bit of Jap.
My mother tongue is Spanish but I live in Canada, an English speaking country. I learned from Dora The Explorer + other cartoons & from interacting with people in school. I did come at a young age though, so it wasn't too difficult to learn. I also speak some Urdu and Arabic, and I can read + understand French, Portuguese and Italian. ^_^ Currently learning Korean.
English is my second language, and I have no idea how I learned it. Well... probably because english is one of the official languages in the Philippines (where I grew up). By the time we start in school (pre-school), English was introduced to us that early. In the country where I was raised, English should be taken regardless of your the level in school. As long as you're in school, you should take the English class. I remember when I was in the Philippines, we were forced to speak english during the English month and english class. If we decided not to abide those rules, we have to pay a certain amount or get a deduction on our English grade. To be honest, I have no idea how i learned English.
I'm American so I only speak one language and that is English.