Many MDL members are not from a country where English is the primary language, yet the forum is almost exclusively English language. How did everyone learn English? Did you learn it as a child? From your family? School? How did you practice? Do most people in your country speak English as a second language?

For example, I'm in the US, so English is my first language, but I am also from Florida, where Spanish is equally as common. I learned Spanish in pre-school, but am no longer fluent because I haven't practiced in forever. My family is very mixed, and English is the primary language spoken. Some of my cousins speak Spanish and Portuguese though.

What about you?
I'm also in the US, but Spanish was my first language. Because my mom was a working single parent, my mom would leave me with my aunt while she was at work, and my aunt at the time barely spoke English having just immigrated to the US from the Dominican Republic. So, I started to speak Spanish, and my mom being fluent in both Spanish and English decided to just speak to me in Spanish. By the time I started attending nursery school at the age of 3, I knew a few English words, but basically expressed myself only in Spanish, which was a problem since I couldn't communicate with either my teachers or my classmates. The teachers had a meeting with my mom, and asked that she start using English at home to bring me up to speed with the other kids. Except I was a stubborn kid, and refused to speak English because I hated it (according to my mom).

Then, in 1991, Michael Jackson premiered his video "Black and White" on television, and I remember watching it with my mom and being blown the frack away. I cried until my mom agreed to buy me the tape of his Dangerous album, and once in my possession, I proceeded to play it non-stop on my little Fischer Price cassette player. It had a microphone attached to the side, and I would carry it around, blasting Michael Jackson, and singing into it like the little spastic fangirl I was becoming. My mom realized a good thing when she saw it, so she went out and bought me every MJ album on tape. And that's how I started to learned English. By listening to Michael Jackson.
I'm from Slovakia so English was for many years language, about which one I didn't know. But after I started visiting school I started learn English. But the teachers were horrible, so I have learn English on course and by watching dramas and movies with subtitles or original movie in English language. Also I read English books and speak with my friends in English.
After BaT's story, mine will sound totally lame :P Whatever...

I studied at private school since I was 6, we had English as our subject since 1st grade. I had a wonderful teacher, who started giving us homeworks, to read fiction books whichever we preferred and come to class and retell it... As I love detectives, I started with Conan Doyle...When I was 13 I told the class about Harry Potter :D
My everlasting (hopefully) love with reading started with Harry Potter books, which I received as a New Year present from my parents...
Also, I'm in love with music, it helps a lot...I can't help but sing the song with the singer, so I always sing, as I always listen to music...
Then came movies...This is what helped me and still heps me the most... Watching the movie in the original language is MY best way to study a foreign language :)

P.S. In fact, my 2nd language is Russian, but it's common (at least it was when I was at school) in Armenia to know Russian. Russian is also my favourite language. It's the most beautiful language in the world, I think :)
I was a bright kid (until we got computers in HS. It all went downhill from there...)

I pick up stuff fast, and I was a lazy kid with no life who stayed inside and watched TV all day. So basically thanks to TV and music.
God bless Norway for not dubbing english shows.
First language- English
Second language- Spanish

When I was in elementary school I had a baby sitter for a couple years and she only spoke in Spanish! Somehow I started to understand when she spoke to me and her daughter also taught me words. In high school I took 5 levels of Spanish. Even with all that studying I'm not comfortable speaking it unless I really have to.

I want to learn Korean! Its such a hard language to learn though=(
For me, i learned english when i was 14 years old at school: our first language is arabic and our second is french.
At first, i couldn't undersatand it (especially the pronounciation: since i pronouce english words as french) so one day one of my friends at that time invited me to her house saying that we can prepare for the english exam with her mother and that's changed my life.
that mother's friend helped me a lot in just one hour to love english and to be excellent at it.
I also learned italian at school for two years since i love to learn foreign languages.
I'm also kind of tv addict ( i watch english movies, tv series and programs mostly) and that helped me to improve my english.
Now i'm using korean dramas to learn korean language as well.
Hehe, my second language is Japanese and Latin.... kinda. I am conversational in Japanese and if I brushed up a bit I could be near fluent in Latin, so between the two I know one language XD. I learned Latin through hard work and Japanese by watching subs since 12/13 or so. By the time I left Japan I was almost fluent *sob*. I am just on this side of conversational now.
hey!! i'm fron finland so my first language is finnish. fmy first english lessons i had in elementary school. I think i was in 3th grade. back then i really wanted to learn new things so I learnt pretty fast. Then came sports so I pretty much spent my all free time playing floorball. In high school i figured that maybe I should study more.. :D so since then I have read all book in english and watch movies without subs.. :D and god tnx for music.. :D now in 25 just gratuate from university. :D
English is my second language. I started learning it when my dad decided to join the civilized world and got us cable TV. It was Summer, I don't really like the beach (plus I was 11), or the sun and heat (ironic seeing how I live on an island in the Caribbean). Plus I've always been weird and didn't really care for socializing (the only things I needed were my Nintendo and Game Boy). So that Summer, I sat day and night watching TV with closed captions. Once I started getting it more and more I sat with a dictionary looking up the words that I didn't understand. Once I understood enough, I started reading books.

There was one of my "uncles" (who is really just an aunt's husband), who kept annoying me to stop watching TV because I wasn't going to learn anything from The Flinstones (how I loved this cartoon, lol). Then one day he saw me and was trying to make fun of me and I just said something in English and smiled. Then added, in Spanish, "Now tell me I'm not gonna learn anything from cartoons." I loved his facial expression when I said that.
[QUOTE=LisNoir;7563]English is my second language. I started learning it when my dad decided to join the civilized world and got us cable TV. It was Summer, I don't really like the beach (plus I was 11), or the sun and heat (ironic seeing how I live on an island in the Caribbean). Plus I've always been weird and didn't really care for socializing (the only things I needed were my Nintendo and Game Boy). So that Summer, I sat day and night watching TV with closed captions. Once I started getting it more and more I sat with a dictionary looking up the words that I didn't understand. Once I understood enough, I started reading books.
I just loved your entire story especially when you said thzt your father decided to join the civilized world because both my parents jointed it late too (and when i say late i mean very very late) and i enjoyed the flinstones too: it was my first english cartoon ( i'm not a cartoon type person usually)
sheriberi wrote: There was one of my "uncles" (who is really just an aunt's husband), who kept annoying me to stop watching TV because I wasn't going to learn anything from The Flinstones (how I loved this cartoon, lol). Then one day he saw me and was trying to make fun of me and I just said something in English and smiled. Then added, in Spanish, "Now tell me I'm not gonna learn anything from cartoons." I loved his facial expression when I said that.

Kind of off topic, but two thumbs up for this! I totally loved cartoons as a kid to the point where whenever someone asked me what I wanted to be as an adult, I'd answer, "A cartoon." (I was a dumb kid, what can I say?) It's a shame they don't air those old shows anymore. As much as I love the new stuff, nothing beats a classic Looney Tunes in my book.

*ahem* Sorry, back to the topic at hand...
I am envious of all my online friends who speak their native language and then completely rock English.
I personally only know English fluently, and Spanish (not fluently)
arvedy wrote: I am envious of all my online friends who speak their native language and then completely rock English.
I personally only know English fluently, and Spanish (not fluently)

I'm totally envious of all Koreans who do not need subs to watch the dramas. And of my French cyber friend who can speak many languages. While I only know two and am forgetting the French I learned cause I don't really have anything with whom to practice it since my friends forgot it as soon as the class ended. *sigh*
Computer wrote: Kind of off topic, but two thumbs up for this! I totally loved cartoons as a kid to the point where whenever someone asked me what I wanted to be as an adult, I'd answer, "A cartoon." (I was a dumb kid, what can I say?) It's a shame they don't air those old shows anymore. As much as I love the new stuff, nothing beats a classic Looney Tunes in my book.

*ahem* Sorry, back to the topic at hand...

LOL, I used to watch many cartoons, if not all, plus the Sailor Moon, Candy, and Pokemon anime...Now I laugh and think how was it possible I liked this! I still like The Flinstones though and my anime <3.

And I loved outsmarting someone who was like 40 years older than me. The memory still gives me a tingling feeling. LOL