Greetings to all the Korea fanatics of MDL!

On the morning of August 16, I boarded a plane and began my 22 hour journey to the other side of the world, from the east coast of the USA to the east coast of Asia. My destination: Seoul, South Korea, where I had been hired by a public middle school to teach English to their miscreants---er, that is, to their "students". Although I've only been in Seoul for a little more than two months, I can confidently say that they have been the most enlightening two months I've ever had during the course of my modest lifetime. And I would love to share what I have come to learn about this metropolis and its people with you all here in the forums.

I can't profess to being an expert on Korean culture (again, I've only been here for two months, so I'm still a newbie immigrant!). But I can share with you my new found perspective on various topics, and I have wonderful, patient English-speaking co-workers who are always willing to explain the more confounding aspects of Korean culture.

So, if you guys have any questions about Korea that you want answered, any myths you want confirmed or busted, whether it be about how the men are (and if you ask the right questions, I have a story or two or three to recount on this particular topic), how to properly eat soon dubu jjigae, or what the latest fashion trend is, I will try my best to answer it here in this thread!

I'll kick things off with MYTH #1: Are Korean students both insane and insanely adorable?

Here is a photo of two of my students helping to transform my classroom into a noraebang for the school festival:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150[/ATTACH]

I think we can say that this myth has been: Confirmed.
Hahaha Awwwwww That pic is insanely adorable :p Thanks for sharing.
Incredibly adorable.
Hahahahahaha, wonderful thread, BaT!!

Far from me to discard or disrespect any information about your students - on the contrary, I'll come with school questions soon enough - but right now there's something I absolutely need to know about the legal male population - say above 21. Blame my hormones.
Are they really in such a good shape as k-pop artists and actors would like us to believe? Are there fat ones, very short ones, with crooked noses or uneven teeth? LOL
In short: have you ever met Hyun Bin's double on a bus? (You're free to substitute Binnie with whomever you deem gorgeous. As for me: sorry, he's my paragon. ;)
So adorable kids. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward for more myths to be confirmed. :D

Where's the pic of your room btw? :p
Awh ace - looks like you'll have your hands full in your class!
Thanks for starting up the thread - I can't wait for more myth-busting.

I'm wondering what the right question is to ask about the men there..... seems like you have some beans ready to spill! ;)
love it..thanks for sharing BaT..this pic is awwww (that should explain it all hehe)...and my question is the same as Rita's lol..i've heard the good looking men we see on dramas, movies, kpop are all that there is....irl it's a different story altogether..is it so? hehe
1) Ahjummas and Ahjussis ~ so...seen any flowered work pants and visors during your daily tromps and mosey's around Seoul? Are the Ahjummas and Ahjussis really up in your business if you make a public faux pas? (like throwing your food into the recycle bin or your cans in the regular trash?

2) Is there really a lot of funny plagiarism? For example; someone's logo design for their coffee shop looking eerily similar to Starbucks?

3) Seen any wrist grabbing or piggy back riding?

4) Is there really that much drinking of Soju? Are they all lushes over there? What is up with the drinking?

**I love your classroom. It actually looks kind of cozy and cool. What a great adventure B&T!
Those kids are adorable!! Thanks for sharing! (:

I'll think of a question later to ask :p
oh btw..do the korean women actually eat so much and still manage to stay stick thin?? ^_^
Awww, they are cute....lol
Ah B&T i was hoping you would do a sort of blog/account of ur (mis :p )adventures in Korea. I await ur next installment & hopefully detailed replies to Jeanie & Rita's questions :)
Are the women actually so skinny that you want to take them home and feed them Fried Chicken, Mashed Taters, Chicken grease gravy & bisquits for like a month?
phoenixtearz9 wrote: Are the women actually so skinny that you want to take them home and feed them Fried Chicken, Mashed Taters, Chicken grease gravy & bisquits for like a month?

ROFL! *random* I love your avi. Johnny Depp <3
Sleepninja wrote: ROFL! *random* I love your avi. Johnny Depp <3

Thanks, I think Johnny Depp is probably one of the sexiest men alive..